Resolutions (TP3)

Von pseudoannie

(Complete) New Year's Day is a time for resolutions. Jack Harris, still mourning the tragic death of his wife... Mehr

Author's Note
1 - Resolutions
2 - Decisions, more decisions
3 - One step at a time
4 - Lost girl
5 - Snow Day
6 - I love you too, Dad
7 - Running to a happy place
8 - Thirty days
9 - Vacationland
10 - A really cute guy having lunch
11 - The Library Type
13 - Two Shoulders
14 - If Maddie thinks you're okay
15 - Dad's Day Out
16 - Meet me on the beach
17 - Spanx Me
18 - A storm is brewing
19 - Good Rory can come home
20 - Good size footprint
21 - Birthday Blues
22 - Fat and old and ugly
23 - The third wheel
24 - Another birthday
25 - What are friends for?
26 - Run for the prize
27 - Be careful what you ask for
28 - Nicole's daughter
29 - Perfect sense
30 - Casanova
31 - Everyone loves her
32 - Motherless children
33 - A sign?
34 - Only two
35 - A heart
36 - As soon as possible
37 - MADDIE
38 - RORY
39 - JACK

12 - You're not in Boston anymore

3.3K 279 33
Von pseudoannie

"Get used to it Jack, we're all family. You're not in Boston anymore."

Jack told Rory it was fine for her to get a ride with Megan. Maddie added, "Jack, bring Emma to story time. You've never been to one until you've been to mine."

"I'm not sure if I ever imagined you as an adult, but if I did, it wasn't doing story time."

"Was I that wild?"

"You were wild to the geek from Boston."

"You weren't a geek. You were just smart and sheltered."

They followed Rory who went to pick out books. Maddie was sidelined helping a mother and her reluctant reader, so she could only wave as the three left.

She felt foolish, but she actually went out of her way and drove by the Harris house as if she didn't believe he was there. Sure enough, it was lit up in March for the first time in Maddie's life. She wasn't certain why she was so excited about seeing Jack. She was glad to see he was okay, scruffier than she'd remembered. She definitely could use a new friend, and she had found two. Rory was sweet and had every reason to be vulnerable.

Maddie who was not typically one to join in the fray of gossip called Megan.

She didn't say hello. "I saw Jack!"

"I met that poor girl. She's struggling."

"She seemed okay at the library, but books are her refuge."

"Apparently she cries a lot when she would rather not, like in class. She's been through so much to lose her mother so suddenly. My heart weeps every time I've thought of them or talked to Kelly and John. I sensed from Kelly they were struggling, but..."

"Do you think that's why they moved?"

"Probably to get away from the memories. Rory hopes her new school will make a difference."

"I'll make myself available for her."

"Me too. Sorry, Maddie, I've got to go."

Maddie thought about the poor girl crying in school. She had recovered when she arrived at the library, but there was sadness in her eyes, Jack's too, even when he laughed. Maddie felt sad and restless. She called Laura.

"Hey, Maddie."

"I figured out who you saw eating lunch the other day."

"Oh, the cute guy with the baby!"

"Toddler and a teenager right?"

"Yes, who is he?"

"A summer kid I hung out with. I think they came here to get away. They're still dealing with the loss of his wife," Maddie said, thinking out loud.

"Oh God, was she sick? The little one is still a baby."

"It was a horrible accident. We were all devastated when we heard. A drunk driver hit her and the thing is she was still pregnant. They saved the baby, delivered by cesarean. Just thinking about it is horrible. He lost his wife and had a new baby in intensive care, because she was premature. Poor Rory is still struggling daily."

"At least she still has her father."

"He's really her stepfather. I never heard any details about her real father. She was calling him dad." Maddie thought through what she had been told over the years.

"I think I would run away too if I lost Tim so tragically."

"At least he ran to people who care, because all of us down here are his family." Maddie assured her.

She couldn't get Jack and Rory out of her mind all evening. She tossed and turned that night, but her knee felt better, so she was determined to get out for her run in the morning. Peter called to her when he saw her.

"Sorry I played hooky yesterday."

"That's okay I replaced you," Peter said with a wink.

"With whom?" Maddie asked as they went around the bend.

"With him."

Maddie looked, and there was Jack. He looked at her and smiled. "Hey Mads, you're full of surprises." Then he turned to Peter. "She's your running partner?"

"I guess you two know each other."

"Jack ran in Drew's crowd, back in the day," Maddie said.

"... and you were Drew's girl," Jack added.

"Sorry Maddie, but he's taken," Peter said.

"Believe me, I moved on past Drew years ago."

Soon enough she was panting and ready to stop. "Okay boys, I'm done."

She watched them run on and walked home.

Her second day of school was better than the first. The only negative she had to stay for geometry. After school, she walked into Mr. Castillo's room and he greeted her with a smile.

"I'll try not to keep you too long. I hear you have a ride home."

She looked at him funny. "Ms. Brenner is a good friend. So I contacted your old school and your teacher explained where you left off. We're only one lesson ahead. I'll bring you up to speed in no time."

"You did that for me?" She couldn't believe he went through so much effort.

"It doesn't benefit me if you struggle. My job is to teach all my students and you're my student, so let's start."

She listened as he explained what she had been doing in her last class. Then he moved on to new material. He explained so she could understand. She was working through a few problems when Ms. Brenner popped her head in.

"Are you ready to let this poor girl go?"

He laughed. "Do you want to finish those at home?" Rory nodded, and he said, "Go. Be free."

Rory packed up. "Thank you. You're a good teacher."

"Did you hear that Brenner? I just found my favorite student!"

Rory followed Ms. Brenner out a side door into a back parking lot. She climbed into her minivan.

"Okay, outside of school, I can be Megan. We're family."

"How are we family?"

"The Point is a family. Now two quick stops."

The first stop was at the elementary school and she came out with a boy and girl. She learned that Nick and Sophie were twins.

"Sophie will tell you anything that you want to know."

They barely drove, and they stopped again at a daycare center. Megan came out with a girl a little bigger than Emma. Sophie told her about her little sister, Abbie, and continued to talk the whole way home.

When they pulled up, Sophie said, "Mom, can we meet Rory's sister. Please!"

Megan asked, "Will Jack mind?"

"I don't think so. We didn't like our old neighbors, but he likes you."

Without thinking, Rory automatically unbuckled Abbie and lifted her from her car seat. On the way to the door, Megan asked, "Do you babysit?"

"I never have except I guess Emma."

"How about Saturday night?"

Jack came to the door and Rory said, "They want to meet Emma and can I babysit for Megan on Saturday night?"

"I guess so. Megan! What happened to you?"

"Thanks, Jack! I've had three kids."

"No, you look great. I meant you've grown up."

"I knew that. I was teasing you."

The adults watched while Abbie walked over to Emma. She looked around and took the toy that Emma had. Emma started crying.

"Oh, no!" Megan sat on the floor and said, "Abbie, give Emma her toy. Good, now give her a hug. She's your friend."

Abbie hugged Emma who didn't know what to think. Sophie sat down and played with them. Emma took an instant liking to Sophie.

"Sophie has that effect on everyone. Peter is convinced she will be president."

Jack said, "I like Peter. I've been running with him."

"I heard." Megan turned to Rory. "So how do you like it here?"

"It's okay. I like most of my teachers. I even have friends which I didn't have at my last school."

"How could you not have friends?"

Jack answered, "We lived in a very affluent town and the school was literally filled with mean girls."

Rory added, "Our neighborhood was filled with mean women."

"She's right. They were mean and two-faced. It's so refreshing to be here."

"Jack, you're one of us which means Rory and Emma are too. We're here for you one hundred percent."

Rory wanted to cry and not because she missed her mother, but because she felt accepted for the first time in forever.

"I need to get my gang home. Jack, give me your number. I'll text the time for Saturday. Rory, I'll see you tomorrow. Come on Brenner clan, we need to get home before Daddy."

After they left, Jack said, "Hey kiddo, I'm really glad you have friends."

Rory was too.

Over the rainy weekend, while he tried to fit everything into the small house, Jack had regretted his decision to stay at the cottage. In just two days everything had changed. Rory liked school better than she ever had, she had a friend, and Jack had running buddies. There was a sense of belonging here that was completely unique. He had seen his old friends, Maddie and Megan. Truthfully Megan was never a friend, but she was no longer the pesky little sister. She was also genuinely interested in helping Rory.

He fell into a routine. He ran early and Rory headed out to the bus stop on her own. He worked as much as he could. On nice days, he took Emma for a walk. Often they stopped at The Landing for coffee.

On Friday, he walked in and a beautiful blonde woman said, "I heard you were back. Hopefully, you've outgrown tormenting little girls."

He studied her looking for recognition, but only the sharp tongue reminded him of someone. "I remember you sticking that tongue out more than using it to speak."

She stuck her tongue out. "You and Drew were always picking on us. It's good to see you, Jack."

"You too Jenny."

"Please Jen, only my Dad gets away with it now and occasionally my husband."

"I heard you were taking Manhattan by storm."

"I did, but The Point lured me back."

Jack turned towards a voice at the counter. "I thought love lured you back."

Jen smiled. "He's right. Alex honey, come meet Jack."

She introduced Jack to Jen's husband. He learned that Alex was a builder and was responsible for so many of the renovated cottages.

Without thinking, he said, "If my daughter likes it here, we may look for our own place."

"Properties rarely sell. I waited a year for our house. I'll keep you in mind if I hear of one. I'd love another job close to home."

"Don't mention this. I don't want it to get back to my daughter. She's a bit... fragile."

"You know we're all here for you Jack," Jen said. "Now do you think this precious one would come to me?" she asked in a sing-song voice.

She reached out her arms, but Emma refused. It surprised Jack when Alex tried, and Emma went to him.

Jen said, "Beware he's a child whisperer."

Jack thought it probably had more to do with Emma being with him twenty-four-seven. She really wasn't around women.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

175K 19K 100
(Complete)Patrick Bennett promised his wife lots of things before she died. He lied when he agreed to look for love. Two years later, he is ready to...
27.9K 2K 11
(Complete) After meeting online, a widower and a divorced woman spend their first Christmas together with their children. Spend Christmas on The Poin...
106K 9.5K 43
(Completed) When Patricia's daughter comes to her battered, she has to look at her own past as she helps her heal. As she focuses on mothering, she b...
145K 12.8K 60
(Complete) It is not easy growing up with the perfect Jack Harris, especially since Ryan Harris has always been a player. He left home for college a...