The Love Code (BoyxBoy)

By Writer_Babe

SEQUEL TO 'The Bro-Code' READING THE PREQUEL IS NOT REQUIRED :) ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ ''I don't know what you're... More

Book Trailer
∆Character Introductions∆
Aren't You Happy?
Running From The Runway
Date Night
No Puppy
I Can't Wait
God Damned Puppy
Fuck My Promise
Meet My Boyfriend
I Have A Job To Do
Just Talk To Me
She's Gravid
Speak Now
The Letter
A Day
A Day - {Extended}
Reality Check-Up
Bestfriend(s) Intervention
Stop Leaving Me
Moving On & Moving Out
Vitalé In A Variance
Sipping Seppalainen
Sipping Seppalainen - {Extended}
Sipping Seppalainen - {Extension Two}
La La Land
No
I Fucked Up
Skylar's Interlude
To Be Happy
Fun
Choices
Come Closer
The Better Man
Mini You
We Can Be Better
Cody's Interlude
I Found You
It's Okay
Vitalè Versatile

Aid Amid Amends

2.3K 89 78
By Writer_Babe

•Damien's POV

''Wake up, sleeping beauty,'' A voice murmurs in my ears.

I turn on my side in an attempt to evade whoever the hell is trying to wake me up. Unfortunately, it works little to my advantage as I feel their tiny fingers poking into my back.

I roll over, an active frown on my face as I aim to glare at the person disturbing my rest before I'm greeted with Ariadne's smiling face.

''It's too early,'' I groan before rolling back over. 

''Damien five in the afternoon is too early for you,'' She teases, laughing.

''Do we have something to do today? Javier didn't tell me anything about it.'' I tell her. I bring my blanket up to cover my face, attempting to trap in as much warmth as I can.

''He wanted me to tell you that he has to be in Japan tomorrow for a business deal and he's leaving this afternoon.'' She says. 

''And he couldn't text me this because?'' I ask.

''He's also rescheduling whatever dinner you guys had planned to a breakfast for 10:00am. And that's in an hour, so you should probably get up.'' She informs me.

An annoyed sigh leaves my lips.

I'm not so much annoyed at her just at the simple fact that I have to get up so early now. I roll back over to face her.

''There are paparazzi outside my house aren't there?'' I ask, already knowing the answer.

Ariadne gives me an apologetic smile, sitting up on my bed.

''I know you hate just being thrown into it without at least a days' notice—''

''No, I hate having my brother thrown into it without his consent. He has to walk out that door too and I don't need all of them in his face with their cameras. We had an arrangement, and I thought I stressed this the most if not anything else.''

''I know, look Damien I know but Fred—'' 

''I fucking hate Fred to be honest with you, Ariadne. You should fire him already.'' I confess to her.

Fred is her manager. And she needs a new one in my opinion. The man is an absolute asshole. Don't get me wrong he's good at his job obviously, but he's unnecessarily a dick in the process. 

In fact the only reason Javier even agreed to consider this arrangement is because Ariadne begged him too. I got the final say of course and she actually is a talented young woman and despite her manager she's a sweetheart, so I really don't mind this relationship charade we put on for the public.

She wants to advance in her career and it doesn't bother me to share with her some of the public attention that I don't even want.

It's a complete mystery to me as of why she doesn't just sign with Javier already. 

He likes her as a person, which is hard to get out of Javier. All she would have to do is simply ask at this point.

''Damien I know, but at the moment that's between Javier and Fred. Anyway, I'm just staying at the restaurant for a couple of minutes and then I have to go get fitted for my dress for the Gala. You're going to be back in California by then right?''

''Yeah, I'm only here for a few more days.'' I say sadly, ''Who let you in?'' I ask, realizing I never gave her the key or the pin code to the penthouse.

''Oh, two teenagers thoroughly grilled me then pointed me in the direction of your bedroom.'' She tells me.

I laugh, finally sitting up.

''Yeah, I figured your brother was the one who looked as if he'd throw me back out to the paparazzi if I didn't go along with the interrogation.'' She jokes.

''Yeah,'' I climb out of the bed. It's a good thing I didn't decide to sleep naked last night, instead wearing only some briefs. ''He's over protective like that.'' I inform her.

''Well I know where he gets it from,'' She says. ''Look I can head out now if you really don't feel like dealing with all of this right now. I just thought it would be good that we get a few photographs together before the Gala.''

I shake my head.

''No it's fine, and that's good thinking. It's just that for the last couple of days the paparazzi either couldn't find me or haven't given a fuck about me which was very relaxing.'' I explain.

I walk over to my bedroom door, opening it, ''Cody get dressed! We have an hour until we have to head out!'' I yell, closing my door back.

''I'm about to hop in the shower for a quick minute, make yourself at home.'' I say to Ariadne as I head into the bathroom.

I shut the door behind me, stripping out of my briefs and setting the shower to a warm temperature before climbing in.

I grab the soap and a loofah from the shower shelves, soaping up and then washing off all in a matter of minutes.

Turning the shower off, I grab a towel from the rack, running it through my hair, over my body and then wrapping it around my waist.

I head out of the bathroom.

I look over to see Ariadne relaxing on my bed with my phone to her ear, gesturing me over.

''No, you're calling for Damien right? Hold on a minute,'' She says before tossing me my phone.

I catch the phone, glancing at the name on the screen, swallowing the excitement and curiosity that sneaks its way up on me as I bring the phone to my ear.

''Hey, I thought you'd be knocked out until at least twelve,'' I say, making my way into my closet to get dressed.

I hear him clear his throat on the other end of the phone.

''I would've been, I had something to do though,'' He replies. ''Hey so look I don't have anything else to do today. I'm about thirty minutes away from your place, how about we grab breakfast and talk. I have something I really wanna share with you.''

Fuck.

A part of me wants to just invite him to this breakfast but I know Javier would kill me if I did. He made it very clear that he wanted it to be a family breakfast. It's not like we're going to be more than an hour at breakfast though. I can easily catch up with Steven after.

''Damn, that actually sounds like an amazing ide—'' I start before I find myself tripping over my shoes. I catch myself before I can hit the ground, rolling my eyes as I kick them to the side and walk deeper into my closet.

''Are you okay?'' I hear him ask, more humor than concern could be heard in his voice.

''Yeah, yeah. I'm rushing to get dressed, I just got out the shower. But look Steven, I would love to grab breakfast with you but I can't. Remember that dinner I was supposed to have with Javier today? Well he has business that came up so now it's a breakfast.'' I explain.

''Oh,'' I hear him say, a deflated sigh following his response.

I grab a white shirt, putting it on before grabbing a blue sweater to wear over it. I slide into a pair of black jeans.

''Well that's fine, I just wanted to get a chance to pay you back for lunch yesterday,'' He states.

''We can grab lunch as soon as I'm done, anywhere you'd like.'' I offer.

Of course I want to see him today. I feel like he feels as though I don't. I mean I would bail on the breakfast with Javier if I could but I'm not just going to let him down like that and I know Steven gets that.

At least I hope he does.

''No, it's fine. You're about to eat there you don't need to stuff yourself with lunch right after.'' He protests.

He's so fucking stubborn.

I step into some shoes, making my way to my room door and opening it.

''Cody get ready!'' I yell out into the hall again. ''Steven, I honestly don't care if we don't eat at all, I just wanna hang out with you. So, I'm coming to pick you up as soon as this breakfast is over. Okay?''

''No,'' He refuses.

''Why? Don't bullshit me either, you already told me you don't have any plans for today.'' I argue.

''I should let my friends know I'm alive, I haven't hung out with them in a while,'' He attempts to lie, horribly.

''Yeah, okay. I'll pick you up as soon as I'm done. I need my jacket from your house anyway.'' I tell him.

''That's just your excuse to see me,''

''At least I can make up an excuse. You can see your friends anytime Steven. I'm your friend, see me. I'm leaving New York in four days and I don't plan on spending any of those days without seeing you.'' I inform him seriously.

''I'm hanging up now, Damien,'' He replies.

He ends the call before I can say anything else making me scoff, but leaving a smile hanging at my lips.

''Okay, lets go,'' I say to Ariadne as I head out of my room. She hops off of my bed, following behind me as we walk down the hall. ''Are you riding there with us?'' I ask.

''Yeah, my driver is going to pick me up from the restaurant.'' She answers.

We enter the living room and just as I'm about to open my mouth and yell Cody's name again I see him fully dressed and sitting on the couch.

''Where's Skylar?'' I ask him. He shrugs. An exasperated sighs seeps from my lips. ''Can you get him so that we can leave?'' I say in an impatient voice.

I'm not mad at Cody right now.

Annoyed though? Yes, very. But only because he had just as much time as I did to make sure him and Skylar were ready to head out and they're not. I'm ready to go.

I'm mainly just pissed that I'm not able to spend this entire day with Steven. But the quicker I get this day started the quicker I can solve that.

By the time I make it to the door and grab my jacket and beanie from the coat rack Skylar has made it down the stairs and we're all ready to head out.

As soon as I pull the door open the flashes of the cameras splatter through the morning light.

I grab Ariadne's hand as I break my way through the crowd, keeping a firm grip on Cody's forearm to guide him along with me as well. There has to be a mob of at least thirty or forty paparazzi out here and the last thing I need is for any of them to pull at or so much as bump my brother and I'm going to lose my shit.

I hit the button on the keys to unlock my car doors while we're still a few steps away. Letting go of Ariadne and Cody, I wait until everyone is in the car before climbing in myself.

Putting my seat belt on I start up my car, driving in the direction of the restaurant.

''So,'' Cody starts, and I can feel the beginning of an interrogation starting.

''Cody this is about to be the start of a very long day for me and it'd be really helpful for me if you saved the third-degree interrogation just this once,'' I tell him.

''But I'm bored,'' He replies.

I look up into the rear view mirror just in time enough to catch him rolling his eyes.

''Damien I really don't mind,'' Ariadne buds in before I can speak again, ''What do you want to know?'' She asks Cody, turning around in her seat a little so that she can look back at him.

I sigh, shaking my head.

''Oh look, that new song that everyone likes,'' I say boredly, turning the volume up on the radio as I attempt to enjoy the rest of this ride silently.

I know Cody's heart is in the right place when he does his little interrogation acts. He wants to make sure I'm not being exploited or used. But I've got this.

Javier handles these types of 'business relationships' all the time and even with this being the first one I'm partaking in, I trust him to guide it through its course.

About thirty minutes later we're pulling up in front the restaurant.

We all get out of the car and I hand my keys to the valet. Cody and Skylar make their way into the restaurant as I wait for Ariadne to walk around the car to my side.

I wrap my arm around her waist, smiling at her when she looks at me. Leaning down a bit I let my lips connect with hers in a brief little kiss. We make our way through the swarm of paparazzi just outside the doors of the restaurant as we enter. 

''Reservation under Stark,'' I tell the hostess.

''Right this way,'' She replies cheerfully, leading us into the dinning area. ''Take a look at the menu, your waiter will be with you in a moment.'' She informs us, placing our menus in front of us.

''Where's Javier?'' I ask Cody who's already seated, as Ariadne and I take our seat next to the two of them.

Cody shrugs.

I look at him for a minute but his face is void of any emotions.

''Words,'' I say to Cody, ''Words are a thing, try them,''

Cody is...well Cody is Cody. And of course, sometimes teenagers get in a mood but Cody's different.

He doesn't get quiet and depressed. Not anymore at least. He gets loud and destructive. He has problems handling his emotions.

Sometimes he doesn't know how to show that he's happy and sometimes he doesn't know how calm down when he's mad.

He's used to being in a house where you get beat if you're having a good day, simply because the drunken bastard who's doing the beating isn't. A house where you get beat if you're having a bad day because your father doesn't want to see you moping around in his house.

Cody is used to just displaying a void persona. That's his safe place. And he has opened up a lot since he's been with me but you can't fix everything that he's been through overnight.

I hate to see him go back to how he was when he just kept everything in out of fear of what would happen if he actually opened up. Although right now isn't exactly the time or place to talk to him about what's bothering him. I'll talk to him later.

He has issues, but I have them too, so I get it.

I pick up the menu in front me. I simply decide to go with the omelet gracing the cover of it. I don't need a heavy breakfast, I'm sure I'm going to end up getting something with Steven anyway.

''Aye, Juju beads!'' I hear Cody say all of sudden. I see him hop up from the table and I follow his line of sight to see Julia and Javier approaching the table.

''Amazing,'' I mutter sarcastically.

Of course Javier is here attempting to play peace maker. It's not that I don't want to see Julia. I already told Javier that I'd get around to talking to her about what happened.

It's just that I wanted this breakfast to be quick and now I know it's going to drag on with this unavoidable conversation I have to have with her.

Cody hugs Julia and they stay standing as they start in on a conversation.

Javier takes his seat at the table.

''Really?'' I say as soon as he goes to get comfortable and undo the button on his suit jacket.

''Damien don't give me that look, you're a procrastinator son, and you know it. And I know that if I hadn't taken the initiative and invited her here this morning you would have let tension build making the situation worse.'' He states.

I simply shake my head in response.

''Look, I know what you're thinking Damien. Your choices are your choices and I always tell you that I respect that. This isn't me going against my word. This is me being a father and doing what's best for you. Now just be mature and talk it out with her, because I know you two will regret it if this messes up your relationship.'' He says.

He's lucky he's right.

I did plan to hold off on talking to Julia. I just wanted the last few days I have in New York to be peaceful.

And Steven oriented.

Is that really so wrong?

Ariadne and Javier get to talking just as Cody and Julia take their seats at the table.

''Hey,'' I say to Julia, offering her a smile. She smiles back.

''So,'' Javier says a few moments later after everyone has had a chance to place their orders. He directs his gaze towards Skylar.

I glance towards Skylar and I can see the anxiety in his eyes. I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of nervous for him.

Yeah Cody's a hell of a force to be reckoned with when he's interrogating someone but he has nothing on Javier. He's basically coined the phrase, 'if looks could kill'.

''You're the one who was hiding in my lobby when my son came to see me yesterday.'' Javier more so states than asks. He's got his intimidating eyes locked on Skylar.

It's no surprise that this is where Cody gets it from.

''Well...I wouldn't use the word 'hiding'.'' Skylar responds slowly.

I stifle down a laugh, as does everyone else at the table minus, Javier Skylar and Cody of course.

''Oh, you wouldn't?'' Javier asks, his daunting look easing up as he offers a smile, reaching his hand across the table to Skylar. ''Well nice to meet you young man. I've heard nothing about you. Fill me in.''

''Nice to meet you too,'' Skylar reaches forward and shakes Javier's hand. ''I'm just a friend of Cody's,'' He informs Javier.

''Boyfriend?'' Javier outright asks.

The air leaps from my lungs and I find myself coughing the laugh back down. Cody shoots me a glare.

Yeah, this isn't funny.

But it is kind of funny.

''I should head out now,'' Ariadne whispers to me, placing a kiss to my cheek as she gets up from the table.

''Friend.'' Cody states sharply, throwing his glare at Javier now. ''Skylar's my friend. But if I do start fucking him, I'll be sure to let you all know since you're so interested.''

''Language Cody,'' I warn.

''No seriously Damien, I feel like everyone's on me about this and I'm tired of it—''

''Okay—''

''No, not okay Damien. I'm serious. I'm tired of talking about it. My shit isn't figured out okay, I get it! I'm dealing with a lot right now, and I just want to do it on my own without either of you asking me about my sexuality every five minutes. You want to know what I am? I'm livid and I'm fucking annoyed!'' He yells, getting up from the table and walking away.

I sigh, running a hand over my face.

I move to get up from the table.

''I'll go,'' Skylar says, getting up before I can.

I think for a minute.

I guess I'll let him cool down before trying to speak with him. I'm just going to head right back home after this and talk to him. This is all going way to far and at this point I'm just ready to head back to California so that Cody can figure all his stuff out and get into a better head space.

I just need to take care of my brother.

''Okay, um,'' I reach into my jacket pocket, taking the house key out and handing it to Skylar. ''I'm pretty sure he's getting my car right now, you drive, not him.'' I say.

He nods his head, heading after Cody.

I look at Javier.

''Damien I didn't mean to push him—''

''I know, he's just dealing with other stuff too, old stuff,'' I tell Javier.

''You know I still think he should see someone about it. He needs to get it out, it's not healthy for him to keep all of his demons bundled in like that.'' Javier suggests.

''I know,'' I say, ''I know but he doesn't want to talk to a therapist and I don't want to force him into it. I know I'm supposed to be in the parental role but I am his brother first, and after all that we've been through I just want him to be comfortable and feel safe.''

''You just don't want him to hate you,'' Julia adds in.

I look over at her. Her blonde hair is pulled back into a sleek ponytail, she's wearing hardly any makeup so there's these little speckles of freckles lining her cheeks in a roundabout puddle.

I can see the concern in her eyes, and I knew her words came from understanding, not judgement.

I'd be lying if I didn't admit to myself that I miss Julia.

It really hasn't even been that long and I miss her.

''You should let me do it then,'' Javier speaks, leaving me confused as I look at him.

''What?" I ask, my mind completely going blank.

''Let me take him to Dr. Taylor. He can't hate you for something that you didn't do—''

''But he can still hate me for not stopping it—''

''Damien this is in his best interest, trust me son. Imagine how much easier it would have been for you if you had gotten help before the all the blackouts and the fights, the fits of anger and depression that you just couldn't shake for months at a time. Cody hasn't gotten there yet and I don't want him too, and I know you don't either.'' Javier pleads.

A headache hits me fiercely.

''I'll postpone my flight and leave right now to go take care of it.''

''I don't—I just don't know Javier.''

''Damien I would never try to undermine you and your decisions for Cody as his guardian, I just want what's best for the both of you. That's all I've ever wanted since the day I met you two. Cody's about to be eighteen soon and we don't have much longer to make him get the help that he needs. Soon it won't even be our choice.'' He says.

I sigh, shaking my head.

I don't know.

I feel like it's so hypocritical of me to force Cody into going to therapy when I don't even want to go myself.

I only went because I had hit rock bottom and it scared the hell out of Javier to see me like that.

And I'm not going to lie, it scared me too.

I can't sit here and act like going to see Dr. Taylor didn't help me though. It did. I got better. I learned how to control my anger and emotions and I know I'm better because of it.

I don't want Cody to get anywhere near as bad as I got. I know we're only scratching the tip of the iceberg with the issues of his we're seeing right now and I know it'll escalate if I don't do anything about it.

If I don't force him to do this.

I just want what's best for him. And I have to do it regardless of if it makes him hate me or not I guess.

Deep down I just never want him to look at me how we look at our parents. And I know I'm far from them, far far from them but the thought of Cody hating me for this scares the hell out of me.

But it's what's best.

So I'm going to suck up all my bullshit and deal with it.

''Okay,'' I say to Javier, ''Okay I agree with you.''

I run my hand over my face. Javier gets up from the table.

''Wait, should I—do you think it'd be better if I went too?'' I ask. I look over at him to see him buttoning up his suit jacket.

''I'll call you,'' He says softly, ''Don't worry.''

''This is going to sound absolutely ridiculous, but try not to stress about it too much. Trust me...trust Javier, Cody is going to be fine. Probably not right now but, but he will be.'' Julia says.

She gets up from the seat across me and comes to sit beside me. Placing her hand on my shoulder, she squeezes gently.

''I know this isn't your biggest issue right now, but I just want to apologize to you for what I said the other day. I had no right to go there or say that to you. I was out of line. Not only professionally but as your friend too. Damien you were right, it's none of my business.'' She says sincerely.

I turn towards her, grabbing her in an embracing hug.

''I'm sorry too Jules, I shouldn't have lost my cool with you. I won't do it again.'' I promise her.

I release her from the hug and she's smiling from ear to ear. It's contagious really, and despite all of the shit I'm dealing with right now I can't fight down the smile that breaks through on my face.

''Now that we've cleared that up, let's go.'' She says, getting up from the table.

''Where?'' I ask, completely confused.

''I don't know, somewhere fun, somewhere to get your mind off of things, lets just hangout. I've missed you.'' She answers.

I stay seated, thinking for a minute.

I know what I really want to go do at the moment.

But my relationship with Julia needs this personal time right now.

''What? Do you have plans already?'' She asks, she gets her coat from the back of the chair, slipping her arms into it.

''No,'' I say shaking my head.

Steven said he was going to go spend some time with his friends anyway.

I'll just hangout with Julia for the rest of the morning and check up with him later today. Yeah, that's fine.

''C'mon, let's go.'' I say, getting up from the table.

''The fact that we ordered all that food and no ones going to eat it or pay for it.'' Julia laughs as we make our way from the restaurant.

I laugh as well.

''They better put it on Javier's tab.'' I say, stopping at the valet. Julia turns and looks to me. 

''Oh I came here with Javier, my car isn't here.'' Julia tells me.

I gawk at her.

''It's too cold for this shit.'' I say, walking over to the street and holding my hand out for an approaching taxi.

I open the back door just as it stops, gesturing for Julia to get in.

''I could've just called a driver from the office to come pick us up.'' She says, rolling her eyes as she gets into the taxi.

''Would've took too long,'' I reply to her. I climb into the taxi behind her, shutting the door.

''Where you headed?'' The driver asks.

I look at Julia. She shrugs.

''You wanna see a movie?'' She asks.

''Sure,'' I answer dryly. She shoves me.

''If I suggest anything outside you're going to whine like a little bitch the whole time. We could go shopping?'' She offers.

I shake my head.

''Fine,'' She says, ''To the nearest movie theatre,'' She tells the driver.

I take my phone out of my pocket, opening my messages and beginning to type.

'Hey are you free for lunch?'

I hit the send button and put my phone back into my pocket.

Twenty minutes later we were pulling up at the movie theatre. I go to reach for my wallet and Julia grips my wrist, stopping me.

''Here you go, thank you,'' She says, handing the driver the fare money and nudging me to get out of the taxi.

''I wanted to pay,'' I complain as we make our way up to the ticket vendor.

She scoffs.

''It's the 21st century, get over yourself.''

''Open the door for yourself then,'' I say laughing.

''Watch me,'' She states, walking ahead of me. I roll my eyes, laughing as I catch up to her before she makes it to the door. I push against the door, stepping into the building and holding the door open for her.

''Mhmm,'' She hums. ''Which movie?'' She asks.

''I don't know, surprise me. I'm coming right back.'' I tell her.

I take a few steps away from her, taking my phone from my pocket and checking my notifications to see that I don't have any new messages.

Impulsively I go to my contacts, finding Steven's name and hitting the call button.

I place the phone to my ear, listening to it ring and ring and then go to voicemail. An exasperated sigh leaves my lips.

I open my messages again.

'Why do I get the feeling you're doing something you shouldn't be? Call me.'

I return my phone to my pocket. I make my way back over to Julia, seeing as she blushes profusely while accepting a phone from some guy.

I walk up next to her, putting my arm around her waist and pulling her closer to me.

''Did you get our tickets babe?'' I ask her. She stares up at me, giving me a death glare.

''Damien,'' She groans through gritted teeth. She pushes her way out of my hold just as I look up at the guy in front of her wearing the confused expression.

''You're still here because?'' I ask in an aggressive tone.

He snatches his phone from Julia's hand and jolts away. I break out into laughter the second he disappears from our sight.

''Asshole,'' Julia mutters, rolling her eyes as she walks away from me.

I catch up to her, unable to contain my laughter still. I sling my arm across her shoulder. ''He wasn't even that attractive Jules, raise your standards.'' I say.

''I haven't had sex in literally a year, Damien. What standards?'' She asks sarcastically.

''Same,'' I sigh out shaking my head.

Her elbow meets with my stomach in the next second. I cough, clutching my stomach with my free hand.

''Liar. Oh don't think Javier didn't fill me in on your international affairs. I know you basically lived, breathe, and ate Tati Moore while you were in Paris last month and you weren't too slick about it either.'' She teases.

''First of all, no one ate anything. And her hotel room was right across from mines, we got bored. Boredom sex doesn't count.'' I clear up.

''Mhmm, say what you want, I know the facts.''

''What're we seeing anyway?'' I ask.

''That new slasher movie.''

•••••••

''That movie sucked,'' I tell her, tossing our ticket stubs into the trash as we exit the movie theatre.

''Well you shouldn't have let me pick,'' She says, her eyes focused on the screen of her phone, her fingers tapping rapidly at it. ''I have to go get some things done,''

''Sounds...fun,'' I say, clearly meaning the opposite.

''Fun enough to come with me?'' She tries, looking at me with a pleading smile. I shake my head at her.

''Of course not, I meant it sounds fun for you.'' I clarify. She rolls her eyes at me, scoffing.

''Anyway,'' She says, leading the way to the street where two Audi SUV's were waiting. The signature car of every Stark driver. ''I called you a driver because I figured you'd make me suffer alone. I'll see you later.'' She leans in giving me a quick hug before climbing into the car.

I make my way to the other car.

Opening the back door, I climb in, putting my seat belt on.

''Where would you like to go Mr. Vitalé?'' The driver asks me.

''You can just drive around for a bit,'' I say.

I take my phone from my pocket. I hit redial on the most recent call I made and hold the phone up to my ear.

A wave of ease settles over me when the phone is actually answered instead of just ringing until it hits voicemail.

''Hello?'' A voice speaks through the phone. A voice that isn't Stevens.

''Who's this?'' I ask immediately, not being able to distinguish the familiar male voice on the other end of the phone.

''Harrison. You know I thought about you when I looked at the caller ID, but you know there's about a million other people in this world named Damien, so,''

''Harrison? Harrison Kingsley?'' I ask for clarity.

One; How the hell does Harrison have Steven's phone?

And two; why the hell does Harrison have Steven's phone?

It's been almost a year since I've even seen or spoken to Harrison. That little saying of what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas applies thoroughly to this.

I mean we didn't hookup or anything. And I say that loosely.

He's straight as far as I know, but we did have one hell of a week in sin city.

Honestly, we blew so much money that week, I swore I'd never party with that kid again.

''Actually, it's Harrison Smith now,''

I laugh.

''Damn you're out here causing so much trouble you had to go and change your last name?''

''My father and I agreed that until we're on speaking terms again it's best that I cause trouble under my mother's maiden name,''

''Oh yeah that rich people shit, so you changed your last name but I bet you kept the money though,'' I tease.

''Aye, he kept the maid, my mother kept the mansion, I think it's only fair that I keep the money,'' He laughs.

''So why do you have Steven's phone?''

''No, what I'm dying to know is why do you have Steven's number?''

''I asked first,'' I say.

''I know you haven't been partying with him because he wouldn't last a minute in a club with you,''

''You'd be surprised,'' I mutter to myself. ''So seriously, where's he?'' I ask.

''In my shower,'' He replies complacently.

In his shower? Why?

And why is he there?

My mind is just jumping to all types of conclusions right now.

''Send me your address, I'm coming to pick him up.'' I tell him.

''Um,''

''Um?'' I ask seriously.

''How do you even know him Damien?'' He demands.

''Why is he even in your shower Harrison?'' I counter. I can tell I sound a bit aggressive and it's not even because I'm jealous or anything, -because I'm not- it's just that I'm confused as hell.

''So many questions. I guess you can come over too. My house is kind of at full capacity so if you were planning on bringing an entourage or something, don't.'' He says before hanging up.

My phone chimes in my hand and the text message with the address appears on the screen. I save Harrison's number in my phone before getting the drivers attention and telling him where to go.

I met Harrison when I really needed a breather. I was stressed out with work and attempting to be a perfect parental figure to my brother and I honestly just needed a moment to myself to grasp my sanity.

That's not what I got myself into though.

It was literally such a bizarre week I can barely remember most of it. All I know is that I started it off drinking way too much for my liking now and partying way too hard.

And of course, in the mist of that I met this insanely hot trust fund baby who was just waiting on someone to wreak havoc with. He had gotten into another back and forth argument with his father and with one drunken conversation after the next about our fucked up excuse for parents we were so close as if we'd been friends for a while.

We tore Vegas apart.

All the casinos, all the clubs, all the women.

But here's where it gets weird.

I woke up the following Sunday with a hangover that basically lasted me a week, oh and I was also ass naked in a bed with some woman and Harrison.

Harrison swore up and down all day that we didn't sleep together and that it was a 'strictly straight' threesome. His words, not mines.

But I don't believe him.

Look I'm all for being an equal opportunist type person when it comes to sex, I mean I don't enjoy sleeping with woman as much as I know I'd enjoy sleeping with a man. It's just two completely different experiences, even the little things.

But I know for a fact that I wouldn't have a...a 'strictly straight' threesome.

Anyway, I let Harrison convince me otherwise. Even with the limp he had all morning. I was too hungover to care to be honest.

It would just make him the only other man I've slept with besides Steven though. That's all.

And I mean it doesn't bother me much. The only reason I haven't slept with a man in these past seven years is because I know it won't feel the same as it did with Steven. And I'm afraid of it feeling any different. I wouldn't enjoy it as much. It wouldn't mean anything.

Then again, I guess if I was too drunk to process what I possibly did in Vegas, it doesn't really matter.

Thirty minutes later we're pulling up in front of a house that's even bigger than mines, which is saying something because I was a bit of a showboat when I picked out my first house.

''Thanks, you don't have to wait here. I'll call you later if I need you.'' I say to the driver before I climb out of the car.

I walk over to the front door, knocking a couple of times.

A few minutes later the door swings open, a smiling Harrison appearing on the other side.

His hair is a lot longer now. His curls much more evident as they sit messily atop his head. And he's grown some facial hair in too. He looks nice.

''You've got a much more grunge look going on now. I like it,'' I compliment him, stepping inside his house as he opens the door wider to let me in.

He closes the door as I turn around to look at him. He smirks, deviance heavy in his eyes.

''You like it huh? Enough to run your fingers through it while my head lays on your chest?'' He teases, raising his eyebrows at me suggestively.

''See now when you make jokes about it, it makes it even harder for me to believe you.'' I say to him. He smiles.

''Trust me,'' He swears, his usual playful smirk covering his face.

''Trust you? Oh no thank you,'' I reply. He shakes his head.

I follow him as he leads the way into a den area.

''Man-cave?'' I ask.

''Bro-cave,'' He corrects.

''So, where's Steven? And where's all of this company that you alleged to have?'' I ask him, taking a seat on one of the stools near the bar.

I watch as he grabs three bottles of water from a fridge behind the bar, then makes his way around the wooden counter to come sit on the stool next to me.

He hands me a bottle, keeping one for himself and putting the other one on the bar.

''I lied. My social meter is depleted though. I just didn't feel like dealing with a lot of people.'' He admits. ''And he's somewhere upstairs. He should be on his way down here.''

Harrison adjusts his body on the stool so that he's facing me completely. I roll my eyes, knowing the awaiting question but still turning to face him as well.

''So, I'm really fucking curious. How do you know him?'' He asks again.

I shrug.

''Well I'm extremely fucking curious. Why was he in your shower?'' I ask.

He eyes me down for a minute, scoffing and then finally speaking.

''Well why you're so curious about that is beyond me. Like I told you in Vegas Damien, I'm straight. And so is Steven, so we weren't fucking obviously.''

''I never said you were,'' I defend humorously. He gives me one of those, 'yeah, sure' looks.

I mean I really never said it.

However, I have thought it from the moment he said Steven was taking a shower in his house.

''I knew what you were leaning towards, probably hoping to debunk my claims of our platonically straight threesome.'' He says laughing.

''So it's no longer being called a 'strictly straight' threesome?'' I ask him.

''No, no it is,'' He adds quickly. ''But I dumped a bottle of alcohol on him,'' He says nonchalantly, ''Or maybe two bottles, I don't really remember but yeah that's why he had to shower.''

''Why the hell would you do that?'' I ask, my tone noticeably raising a bit.

He lifts a questioning brow at me.

''Look, I don't know exactly how you know Steven and I don't want to just divulge my best friends business out to anyo—''

''Your best friend?'' I ask, interrupting him, and unable to force down my laughter. He clearly doesn't know the real definition of that word.

Trust me, I'm Steven's only best friend. Seven years estranged or not, no one can replace me.

Not trying to sound conceited or anything. But there's only one me. And Harrison could never step up to that plate.

''Yeah,'' Harrison says seriously. ''That's what I said,''

''Well you're wrong,'' I state clearly.

''And you're hilarious,'' He replies. ''But I'm right.''

I roll my eyes, not bothering to respond. I grip the water bottle in my hand, twisting the top off and bringing it to my lips to take a sip.

''So,'' Harrison speaks, ''You haven't told me how you know him.''

And a part of me wants to reply with, 'Because I fucked him', just to sedate the fact that this asshole thinks that he's actually Steven's best friend. It obviously means something different in their situation but it still bothers the hell out of me.

But before I can even open my mouth to speak, Steven's voice breaks into the conversation.

''We're old friends,'' Steven says, answering his question.

I look over at him and he's standing in the archway of the den. He's wearing dark jeans. A long-sleeved grey shirt covers his torso and his partially wet hair is slicked to the back.

''The understatement of the century,'' I say in response.

Steven arches his brow as he takes a few more steps into the den, eyeing me and Harrison, confusion covering his freshly washed face.

He waves his finger back and forth between the two of us. ''So how do you two know each other?'' He asks.

''We just met,'' I reply. Which actually kinda isn't a lie. I haven't seen Harrison in like a year.

''Liar,'' Harrison hums, standing up and tossing Steven a water bottle. Steven catches it, then turns to me with an inquiring look.

I turn and look at Harrison.

''Well go on then, tell the story. Every strictly straight detail of it,'' I encourage him. He looks at me with a tight-lipped smile.

''Then again, technically we did just meet,'' He agrees, shrugging.

''Are you ready to go?'' I ask Steven.

He takes the top off of the water bottle taking a small sip.

''Where?'' He asks, hesitancy soaked in his voice.

''Anywhere,'' I offer, getting up from the stool. ''C'mon, grab your jacket.''

''I'll meet you at the door,'' He says.

''Okay then, I'll see you...whenever,'' I say, nodding to Harrison.

I make my way out of the den, but of course not all the way to the front door. I know I said I'd mind my business about Steven's life, but as I lean against the wall next to the corridor of the den, I seem to have forgotten all about that statement.

''So, what's up with that?'' I hear Harrison ask Steven.

''What do you mean?''

''C'mon Steven, I'm not an idiot. You wanna know what this looks like to me?''

''Not really, no,'' Steven replies.

''Okay fine, just be careful then. Look rebounding isn't—''

''Rebounding,'' I hear Steven laugh, ''Is that what you think I'm doing?''

''No of course not—I think you're hanging out with someone who parties harder than me so that you can get your shit straight,'' Harrison remarks sarcastically.

''Harrison I know you're worried, but honestly I think you're over analyzing a bit. Can I get my phone back?''

''Me over analyzing? Steven, I found you at my bar about to drown yourself in alcohol this morning.''

''Okay,''

''Okay?'' Harrison asks, his voice raising. ''And what's with Damien acting all jealous and possessive towards you? I told him you were in my shower and his hostility from that point on could've fucking suffocated me.''

Steven sighs, and a moment of silence follows.

''Look I'm not gonna give you hell about this because I know you're already stressed, but don't do anything stupid Steven.''

''Like?''

''Like rebounding with Damien, because I'm 100% sure you're going to regret whatever the hell he's coaxing you into. Whatever 'history' that you two clearly have, is history for a reason. And you're just not at a time in your life where you need to be backtracking.''

''My phone?'' Steven asks again.

I kick off the wall as I hear footsteps approaching. Steven's eyes lock with mines the moment he passes the corridor.

''Damien don't,'' Steven says, grabbing my arm as I go to take a step into the den.

He must feel the angst radiating off of me. Or is it my absolutely pissed off expression that I'm sure I'm sporting right now?

Who the hell does Harrison think he is?

Telling Steven what he should do concerning me. Who is he to make these decisions or even give such an asshole opinion about our situation?

It's none of his business.

''What?'' I ask him, attempting to get loose of his hold. ''So, he gets to say whatever the hell he wants about me but I don't get the same courtesy?'' I demand.

It's not like I'm asking Steven to defend me. Not that he did when Harrison was running his mouth or that I even feel like he would now.

Or not that I even want him to.

It's just that I simply want to speak my mind, because trust me I have a hell of a lot to say.

''No, no not when you're eavesdropping,'' He says.

What the hell?

Look I'm going to try not to lose my shit, because I genuinely don't want to get into an argument with Steven. But at the same time, I'm not one to just shut up and take shit from people.

When I hear something I don't like, I'm going to say something.

''Still doesn't justify him telling you to leave me in your past.'' I tell him.

He gives me a warning stare.

''Well he's my friend, Damien. So, I would really appreciate it if you'd back off.''

''Your friend? Your best friend?'' I ask him.

So, if Harrison's his friend—his best friend—then who the hell am I?

A stranger?

''Let's go,'' He says, brushing my question off and leading the way out of the house.

Damn, I inwardly wince as I just shake my head and walk around him to the front door.

I felt that. Deep.

∆A/N∆

Hey you guys!

So I wanna say that this chapter would not have been posted without the help of my friend @DeathByAPilgrim

I've honestly had like three different versions of this chapter that I've deleted prior to this simply because I don't really like my writing style lately. I'm just not comfortable with it anymore.

I feel as though it's nowhere near as good as it was last year and I would hate to add anything that's mediocre or sub par to this story because it's so important to me and I know it's important to you all as well.

But I know I'm not going to get anywhere with improving my writing or finishing this story if I continue to rewrite this chapter, so despite my indifference about the quality of it, I decided to just upload it and keep working on my writing.

Posted: May 26, 2019.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 185 18
"Why are you staring at me like that?" I asked, confused. Did I have something on my face or what? Weirdo. "You..." He trailed off, without finishing...
2M 80.5K 46
"A mate will love you and only you. No other can compare to you and he or she will treasure you above all and everything in the world," mommy says to...
272K 13.7K 83
Emmet and Clay did not meet on the best of terms, but that doesn't stop them from becoming fast friends. As their bond grows stronger, they will do w...
472K 20.4K 43
(ROUGH DRAFT, not edited.) Alvin Lee used to date Ashley in high school but things didn't end well between them. However, the two couldn't deny their...