DOGS. Legacy Saga II

By MonicaPrelooker

**English version of the WATTYS 2019 WINNER story** 1672, Caribbean Sea. He lost everything for her. She risk... More

Book Trailer
Book 2
Chapter I - The Eyes of the Renegade
1
2
3
Chapter II - Veracruz
4
5
6
7
8
Chapter III - The Child and the Lion
9
10
11
12
13
Chapter IV - Away from the Deep
14
15
16
17
Chapter V - Voices from the Past
18
19
20
21
22
Chapter VI - The Nights of Campeche
23
24
25
26
27
Chapter VII - The Last Chance
29
30
31
Capter VIII - The Rage of the Deep
32
33
34
35
36
Chapter IX - The Long Goodbye
37
38
40
41
Chapter X - Turning Tide
42
43
44
45
Chapter XI - Jamaican Airs
46
47
48
49
50
Chapter XII - Another Lion
51
52
53
54
55
Chapter XIII - Love of the Deep
56
57
58
59
Chapter XIV - Promises of the Deep
60
61
62
63
Chapter XV - The Torture
64
65
66
67
Chapter XVI - Sorrow of the Deep
68
69
70
71
72
Chapter XVII - In the Arms of the Deep
73
74
75
76
Appendix: Maps & Battles
Cops & Feds

28

161 22 8
By MonicaPrelooker

Alma's voice gave away her fear. "That one too?"

Marina nodded, smiling to Jean, who offered tortillas in the best Spanish she'd ever heard from him.

"Holy Mother of God! You have enough men to take the city!"

"You've only seen a dozen. There are seventy more onboard." Marina chuckled when the woman crossed herself. "And I'm not here to take the city, Alma."

"God spare us! And I chided you over your ribbons!"

Marina let out a heartfelt laughter while they strolled around the market. Her men's impatience and concern was a balm for her spirit after those weeks surrounded by Spaniards around the clock. One way or the other, the end of that risky adventure drew near. She could almost savor the salty wind and the foam drops. And her breeches. She would go all the way back to Tortuga in her breeches, and barefoot. And laughing. At the maintop. Even if that meant locking Castillano up in the hold.

They would get the hell out of there. She, Dolores. And Castillano. Well, and Alma too. She and Dolores didn't want to leave her behind, exposed to the consequences of Castillano breaking out. The former nanny was shock at the idea of following them in what she called madness. But Dolores had forecast such horrors for her if she stayed behind that she'd ended up agreeing to join them.

Now Marina only needed to convince him, of course. The hardest bone. Even if she was determined to honor her word and kick his butt away from Campeche, she still hoped he would follow her out of his own will.

"A bird to entertain the child?"

Marina spun around with a thrilled grin, and she needed a good deal of self-control to keep from throwing her arms around Morris' neck. The young man had a huge papagayo of a bright red, with blue and yellow wings, perched on his forearm, and showed it to her, mirroring her grin. She forced herself to look down from her friend to praise the bird. He let her touch it, still grinning, as happy as she was about that meeting.

"You left my ship alone?" she whispered, scolding him not to laugh out loud.

"Don't worry, Alonso has it."

"You didn't leave my ship alone: you left it to a Spaniard Master & Commander! I should flog you!"

"You need to come back to us to do so, pearl."

"Soon," she promised.

Alma went on to the nearest stand to give them some privacy to talk. But they hardly had a chance to exchange a few words when Marina saw Morris looked up past her and his smile faltered.

"Soldiers," he mouthed.

Marina glanced back from over her shoulder. A coach with two soldiers on the back step had stopped at the corner. She spotted the tall slim man stepping down and growled under her breath. Segovia offered his hand for somebody to climb down.

"Keep calm," she whispered to her friend. "There comes Dolores."

The lady had no choice but accept the arm the general offered her to walk into the market, her bulky dress about to cause a catastrophe among the stands every few steps. And her bright green eyes fixed on Morris.

Marina tugged at his sash to get his attention. "Don't stare!"

"Who's the bastard?"

"An old suitor. Never mind him."

Morris set his jaw and pretended to praise the bird on his arm, like convincing Marina to buy it. Dolores and Segovia joined them a moment later.

"Marina! I didn't know you were coming to the market!" said Dolores, fighting back a grin.

The girl did a curtsy. "I'm sorry I didn't tell Your Grace."

"Maybe Your Grace fancies a pet?" Morris asked with an ironic smile, showing the bird to Dolores.

"Thank you, but I like dogs better," Dolores replied blatantly.

Any man found it hard to keep their eyes away from her collar. But Morris needed an extra effort when he spotted there the brooch he'd sent her two days earlier. Alma joined them, nodding hi at Segovia.

"General, what a surprise. It's been days since you last visited us," she said.

Segovia flashed an arrogant smile. "I wish I had more time for visiting. But the commander's post demands dedication."

"Alma is right," said Dolores. "Why don't you come for dinner tonight? Bet the captain will be interested in the news."

Marina got ready to tackle down his friend when Segovia kissed Dolores' hand. "There's no saying no to you, dear."

"And what does it eat?" the girl asked, turning to Morris.

He forced himself to look down at her and replied through clenched teeth. "Seeds and fruit, Miss. He's easy to content."

"We'll be waiting for you, then," said Alma to Segovia.

"It'll be my pleasure, as usual. Shall we, Dolores?"

Dolores smiled at Alma and couldn't fight the temptation to meet Morris' eyes one last time. "And if you happen to have a water dog with no flees, don't hesitate to bring it to me. My child here will give you the address."

Morris lowered his head, and kept his eyes down until Dolores and Segovia started back to the coach.

"News?" Marina repeated. "What did she mean?"

"I don't like that man, pearl," Morris grunted.

"Me neither, and I'm not into Dolores like you. Stay sharp."

"Don't worry. We're watching the harbor and the garrison, in case something goes wrong and you don't have a chance to warn us."

Marina managed to press his hand with a quick smile. He pressed her fingers and smiled back at her.

Castillano played dice with the guards at the daily dining room when Dolores came back from her ride with Segovia. She strode across the room in a hurry. The men looked up at her. Castillano noticed she was paler than usual, the wet spark in her eyes, and that she held her shawl closed over her collar. But Dolores didn't give him a chance to ask anything. She went on to the kitchen.

"Aren't they back from the market yet?" she asked the cook, and she sounded agitated.

"No, Your Grace, but they won't take long. How can I help you?"

"Bring me a speedwell tea, please. I'll be in my room."

Castillano frowned when he heard her, but he couldn't just take off after her to question her. So he kept playing. What could have happened for Dolores to need a relaxing tea? And how did she know Alma and Marina had gone to the market, if they'd left after her?

The other two were back soon, and Marina took the tea to Dolores. A moment later, Castillano heard her call from the upper-floor gallery.

"Alma! Come! Hurry, please!"

The housekeeper rushed by the men's table, alarmed by Marina's urgency. At Dolores' room, she found Dolores crying her heart out while the girl helped her take her dress off.

"He threatened her! And he beat her!" Marina snarled, her black eyes burning in fury.

"What? Who? Why?"

Marina helped Dolores lie down in bed and sat by her side, holding her in her arms in a protective embrace. "That Segovia bastard. In the coach, after meeting us. And look at the ripped collar. Did he try to abuse you, Dolores?"

The woman hid her face against Marina's chest, suffocating a cry. Alma sat down on the bed with them and covered Dolores with a shawl, rubbing her back.

"Why?" she asked again, lowering her voice.

"Because I made that comment about news," Dolores cried. "He told me that if I ever were that indiscreet again, he'd strangle me with his own hands."

Marina caressed her hair and kissed her forehead. "Calm down, my dear friend. He'll pay for what he did."

"And the son of a bitch is coming for dinner anyway!"

"Drink your tea, Dolores. It'll help you," Alma said gently.

Dolores fought back her tears and hoisted herself up on an elbow, accepting the cup Marina held for her. Alma's eyes opened wide in shock when she spotted the bruise on the side of Dolores' neck and the scratch like the trace of claws across her chest, toward her collar.

"We must get ready, pearl," Dolores murmured. "The news... The jury summoned the captain. He must be in Veracruz by Monday."

"That means they're taking him away within two days tops!"

Dolores nodded. She was able to drink half her tea and lay down again, wiping her tears.

"Alma, go fetch something from the ground floor. And if you find the captain alone, tell him what happened."

"Yes, pearl."

The woman hurried out of the room and Dolores let out a shaky chuckle that surprised Marina.

"Alma is already one of your sailors," Dolores said. "Yes, pearl! And there she goes, running to do what you told her to."

The girl chuckled too, caressing Dolores' hair again. "I'm sorry. I can't help it."

"You're a blessing, dear. Seeing you boss everybody around makes me feel a little less battered."

"Two days, my friend. In two days we'll be free. And then you'll say and do whatever you want. And you'll live your life any way you want. And only with who you want around."

Dolores pressed her hand and nodded with a sad smile, her eyes welling again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.3K 2K 44
It's a deadly plan, and it goes like this: First, become a crew member of the Avourienne, a pirate ship notorious for its charismatic captain and wic...
198K 10.2K 50
{Wattys Shortlist 2022} A one night stand is turned inside out when two strangers discover their shared past. After a skydiving excursion that ends...
90.5K 6.4K 34
🌟2020 Watty's Winner🌟 A sixteen-year-old orphan, hoping to find a new family, joins a faction of Rogues and becomes vital in their conflict with a...
Earth, After ✔️ By T

Science Fiction

38K 3K 37
Some fates are worse than death--survival is one of them. In the two hundred years since humanity left the Earth's surface to live in the sky, life...