Resolutions (TP3)

By pseudoannie

(Complete) New Year's Day is a time for resolutions. Jack Harris, still mourning the tragic death of his wife... More

Author's Note
1 - Resolutions
2 - Decisions, more decisions
3 - One step at a time
4 - Lost girl
5 - Snow Day
6 - I love you too, Dad
7 - Running to a happy place
8 - Thirty days
10 - A really cute guy having lunch
11 - The Library Type
12 - You're not in Boston anymore
13 - Two Shoulders
14 - If Maddie thinks you're okay
15 - Dad's Day Out
16 - Meet me on the beach
17 - Spanx Me
18 - A storm is brewing
19 - Good Rory can come home
20 - Good size footprint
21 - Birthday Blues
22 - Fat and old and ugly
23 - The third wheel
24 - Another birthday
25 - What are friends for?
26 - Run for the prize
27 - Be careful what you ask for
28 - Nicole's daughter
29 - Perfect sense
30 - Casanova
31 - Everyone loves her
32 - Motherless children
33 - A sign?
34 - Only two
35 - A heart
36 - As soon as possible
37 - MADDIE
38 - RORY
39 - JACK

9 - Vacationland

3.1K 274 18
By pseudoannie

Maddie had lost seventeen pounds by the first of March and as Peter predicted, she officially completed the full loop running Shore Road to River Road. She was working on her second loop in small increments. Along with the weight she was whittling away the inches. She was still overweight, but her tight pants were too big. She felt better and was convinced she would wear those shorts before Labor Day.

The real test was when she had a surprise visitor. Steve appeared at her door one evening. She didn't want to let him in, but he wanted to talk. She moved aside.

"Gee Maddie, you look good. You never looked that good when we were together."

"Thanks Steve, but I did until I started eating my frustrations from dating you."

"Feisty. I think we need to get back together."

"I disagree. If that's why you came, you can go."

"I miss you. Don't you miss us?"

"Truthfully, no."

After he left, she looked in the refrigerator and rummaged through the pantry. Luckily, she found nothing to eat. He was making her want to eat her emotions again. Instead, she jumped on the treadmill and ran until she couldn't run anymore.

The next night she heard a knock at her door ready to yell at Steve, but it was Lynn on her doorstep. Lynn lived above the market in a small apartment.

"I did it!" She pushed past Maddie.

"Did what?"

"I went out with Billy," she cried, as if she was confessing to murder.

"You did! Did he clean up for you?"

"He shaved and had a haircut. Oh, God! Maddie! Underneath all that hair he's really cute."

"That's good isn't it? Didn't you have a good time?"

"Yes! That's the problem and then he kissed me. I haven't been able to think about anything except that kiss since. What am I going to do?"

"I think you need to keep kissing him."

"But it's Billy! Billy... Billy who I've known forever." Lynn was distraught.

"I think you're a perfect pair. You both probably reek of fish." Maddie teased.

"Do you think I smelled of fish? He smelled good like some kind of musky aftershave."

"I was teasing. Are you going to see him again?"

"I see him every day. What do I say? How do I act?"

"Act normally until you can get him in the backroom. Then kiss him to make sure it was as good as the first one."

"Maddie, you're crazy. I thought you loved me!"

"I do. That's why I want you to be happy."

When Lynn left, she was calmer, and Maddie felt giddy over her cousin's excitement.

Jack dropped her off at school, and she walked slowly toward the entrance. She wanted to remember her last day. She wasn't so lucky to know when it was her last day with Mom, but this she knew. The moving company had spent a whole day packing. They were filling the trucks, and they would put most of their things in storage. Jack promised her they would find another house in Maine or someplace else. All their furniture would wait for them.

A smaller truck would take their things to Maine. Jack wasn't sure how it would fit in the house, but they'd have to get used to less space. Their house was extra-large, and they had empty rooms.

Rory didn't care if she paid attention. What did it matter? On Monday, she would be at a new school. After today, she would never have to see these kids, who had been mean to her since middle school. It surprised her when some of her teachers said they would miss her. She always thought they were sick of her and her moods. The counselor called her down to her office to say goodbye. She acted as if they were best friends. Get real!

She left for the day like any other day except she had no textbooks. She had returned them in each class. Jack said they'd go register at the new school the next day. She walked to the library to say goodbye to the librarians and wait for Jack.

They had gone to Mimi and Pop's on Sunday. She and Mimi cried when they said goodbye. Jack promised they would visit. Then she had her last visit with Courtney who made her promise to write to let her know how she was doing.

She walked into the library and looked around. This was the one place she would miss. When she entered the children's section, she heard, "Surprise!"

The staff was smiling at her with a cake. She was speechless and sorry that she was leaving. They were the only people in this town who cared about her. When Jack texted he was outside, she hugged her friends and took a long look around. She climbed in the car and cried.

Jack was still standing after the past few weeks. Moving was hard. Nicole had handled most of their last move and made it seem easy. She didn't have a toddler to contain, but she was pregnant and tired. The house was officially sold. They would deposit the profit into his investment account after everything had settled.

Rory handled the turmoil well. Saying goodbye to Pam was hard, but she was happy for her last day of school. Jack felt his heart break a little when she climbed into the car sobbing.

"Hey, kiddo. I know how much you love your friends at the library." The staff had let him know how much they loved her.

"They had cake and gave me a book. Dad, they really liked me when no one else did." She cried.

"I know kiddo, I know." He knew enough not to argue with her. Her reality was real to her, and his words wouldn't change that. He gave her time and cautiously said, "Gran said they have a nice library. She goes all the time in the summer. You can go together. Maybe we can check it out after we go to the school."

He contemplated where they should stay for the night and finally decided on a hotel in Maine. They couldn't stay at the house because it would be too cold and would take time to heat. They stopped at McDonald's and after a quick dinner, before heading north. Emma was asleep when they crossed the bridge into Maine, but he showed Rory the sign in the middle of the Piscataqua River. He told her as a boy, he would always get excited when he saw the sign.

"Are we almost there?"

"I'd say it's about forty-five minutes to the hotel."

He wanted to be done with the drive and to sleep. When they arrived Rory stayed with Emma while he checked in. Then he carried his sleeping daughter to their room. He hadn't stayed in a hotel in years. Luckily he set up the crib and settled Emma without waking her. He immediately brushed his teeth and climbed in bed. Rory read on the other bed.

"Hey, kiddo. Do you want to come over and talk?"

She put her book down and climbed on his bed. When he opened his arms, she moved into his embrace. He waited.

"What if I'm not happy here?"

"Then we find someplace better. I just don't think we can be sadder than we've been."

He'd been too busy and too tired each night to dwell on their loss. For the first time, he was truly carrying on. He still had his moments. If Rory could find acceptance, it would go a long way towards them both healing. He held her for a while and then kissed her temple.

"Let's both try to get some sleep."

Morning came quickly and Jack woke to Emma standing and calling, "Dada."

Rory groaned. "You gotta be kidding."

Jack looked at the clock. It was six-ten. They could get to the cottage early and turn on the heat and let it warm up while they had something to eat. He told Rory he knew the perfect place.

When Jack entered The Landing, he looked around. It hadn't changed. Rick was at the counter talking with a man about Jack's age. He told Rory to pick what she wanted, and she pointed to a big double chocolate muffin. He ordered that with coffee, a hot chocolate and a bagel he would share with Emma. Rory took Emma and put her in a high chair.

When Rick handed him his coffee, he said, "I know you don't I?"

Jack smiled. "I'm John and Kelly's sss...."

"Jack! We haven't seen you in years," Rick exclaimed and then he whispered, "We're all sorry about your loss." Jack nodded knowing everyone would know about the accident. "You up for a weekend getaway?"

"Actually, we're here to stay through summer. We needed a change of scenery."

"Wonderful! Alice will want to say hello and meet your girls."

Jack took the food to the table, and Rick disappeared. Rory said, "That old guy looked glad to see you."

"That's Rick. He knows everyone."

Jack heard his name being called. He turned to see an older Alice approaching. She and his mother were friends. He introduced her to Rory and Emma. "We're thrilled to have you. Rory, we'll introduce you to Cassie, but she always has her nose in a book."

Rory caught Jack's eye and smiled. She smiled. Alice went on about a friend for Emma, but he was only half listening.

When they left Rick called out, "Welcome back to The Point. Come back for lunch and I'll throw in a treat!"

Jack smiled and waved. He drove around to show Rory the beach. There were changes on his street, Gull Lane, two cottages were two-story homes. His father mentioned a lot of cottages were being sold and renovated for year-round residences.

It felt warmer when they entered the house. Although it was a summer cottage, his mother had furnished it like a home. Eyeing the television, he was glad his was on the truck arriving shortly. The old monster tv would kill Emma if she pulled it over. That was how he thought - safety first.

He had just finished showing Rory her room when the truck arrived. Unload, lunch, visit the school, they had another busy day planned.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.9K 2.7K 15
(Complete) Michelle and Rob had lost one another to the pressures of their careers and life. Could Christmas on The Point help them find a spark and...
175K 19K 100
(Complete)Patrick Bennett promised his wife lots of things before she died. He lied when he agreed to look for love. Two years later, he is ready to...
27.8K 2K 11
(Complete) After meeting online, a widower and a divorced woman spend their first Christmas together with their children. Spend Christmas on The Poin...
54.5K 8.7K 49
(Complete) Lacey Sherman hasn't been searching until her sister intervenes. When she drives to the coast of southern Maine, she finds more than expec...