Waiting For My Mate

By Veikari

Laxus is waiting for Freed to return from a mission and Freed has no idea what is waiting for him when he wou... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
The Last Chapter
little update

Chapter 66

2.6K 84 31
By Veikari

It was getting late when Freed and Laxus returned back to Laxus' house.

"I wonder how Porlyusica is going to find out if Bickslow is related with Roxanne and Roscoe", the rune mage said starting to make some dinner for them.

"If she says she is going to do that, we don't really need to know how she does it", Laxus murmured sitting down after setting the table ready.

"I guess you're right. I really hope everything will turn out well. It would be sad if it turns out they are not related after all."

"I don't think that might happen, it's pretty obvious that they are. We will find it out soon, there's no point wondering about it before that."

"Should we talk about the house then?" Freed suggested and he put spaghetti on the plates with meat sauce and brought them in the table. "We haven't actually talked about that since we left Naava Town."

"I found this", Laxus said and fetched a newspaper from the living room and opened it. "Big kitchen and living room, two bathrooms and three bedrooms, what do you think?"

Freed took the paper and read the note.

"Not bad", he smiled. "It's not far from the Guild, the area is friendly and it has an attic that could be turned into an office if we need one. It could make a good library too."

"I'm not surprised you thought it that way", Laxus said amused. "But where would we need an office?"

"We still don't know who will be the next Master", Freed reminded. "If it's you it is a good idea to have an office at home also."

"Damn, for a moment I managed to forget that Gramps is supposed to announce the next Master after the Trials", Laxus groaned.

"I'm sure you will be an excellent Master, Laxus", Freed chuckled.

"It's not sure yet that I will be the next Master. I think Erza is more suitable for that."

"If it turns out that way, I'm of course really happy for her", Freed assured with a smile. "I have no doubts that she wouldn't be an excellent Master as well. You are both really good candidates."

"If I'm not Master, we can continue going into the missions like we always do."

"I know, that would be really nice too. But you have such a potential it would be waste not to use it. But I'm sure that whatever is Makarov's last decision, it is what is best for the Guild."

"Yeah, I guess. But if I'm gonna be the next Master it sucks when the Grand Magic Games start again", Laxus growled.

"You know it is forbidden by reason for Master to compete in Grand Magic Games. I know it's not that much fun to just stand aside but then we can just do our best and cheer to our guild mates who made it to the team."

"I'm sure you would have made it in the team this year, you would have made it in the S-class Trials also and you would have kicked everyone's asses", Laxus grinned and Freed laughed.

"I don't know about that, but thank you for your trust", the rune mage smiled. "Of course I would have done my best."

He took the newspaper.

"So do you want to go see this place?" he suggested.

"Sure, if you like it. It has a big backyard too, maybe our kid wants to have a swing when he gets older."

"I like that idea", Freed smiled. "Let's go see this place after the Trials."

In the next morning they headed to the Guild.

"So today your quest giver is either Kagura or Ichiya", Ever said to Bickslow who nodded.

"I don't know which one makes me more worried", he cackled.

"I'm pretty sure you should be more worried what Kagura might make you do", Freed said. "We know how Ichiya is, he might arrange a quest that has something to do with the host club or similar."

"That is definitely something he might do", Laxus grumbled. "But Kagura... Dunno, she has her own traits but she is definitely not gonna make you do something easy."

"Whatever, I'm still gonna win this thing", Bickslow grinned. "I don't care what they bring to us, I'm just gonna do it."

"That's the spirit", Freed smiled. "We will be here rooting for you."

After a while Bickslow had to leave with the other competitors and they took their usual places. Roxanne and Roscoe joined them, Roscoe being a lot more quiet than before. He just followed the screen as Makarov was talking.

"So it is Kagura", Freed huffed when Kagura stepped up as the next quest giver. "And she's looking determined to make them work hard to earn every point."

"She looks like a girl you just know not to talk back if you don't have a good reason to do so", Roxanne chuckled amused. "I like that."

They followed as Kagura talked and announced the quest. It wasn't anything complicated, actually it was pretty simple but... Well, it was pretty harsh.

"Are they really going to be okay?" Ever sweat dropped, when looking how all four participants tried to move massive boulders through the streets. "What is the point of that?"

"It's about pure strength, not relying on magic in everything you do", Laxus said.

"Poor Wendy", Ever huffed leaning against her hand. "This must be really tough for her."

After the boulders there were rope walking.

"What the hell?" Laxus grumbled. "This is just stupid."

"You might think so, honeycomb", Roxanne cackled. "But having a good balance is really important for the mage. And it helps in fights too."

After rope walking there were limbo.

"Come on! That can't be important in any possible way!" Roscoe said irritated.

"Bickslow has a huge disadvantage in this since he is so tall", Freed said. "For Wendy this is a perfect opportunity to get as many points as she can. She is doing surprisingly good this time."

"Isn't that kinda unfair?" Roscoe asked.

"Times when you can actually choose your environment where to fight are quite rare", Roxanne explained. "Sometimes there are really unfair situations. You can only try to do your best and adapt."

"For dragon slayers, it is always a disadvantage when they need to fight in ships or trains or similar. But they just have to overcome it and do their best", Freed nodded. "You can never know what will happen when you start a new mission."

It was not a surprise that Bickslow managed to get only one point when they already had to move on. There were lots of different kind of exercises that really tested their skills. Only few of the exercises needed magic in the end and Freed could hardly believe his eyes when he saw the scores in the end.

Bicks had only 63 points, Loke was now second with his 55 points, Wendy thirds with her 47 and Bisca last with 42 points.

"Bickslow might still lead, but this time he was definitely the last one to gather the points", Laxus grumbled. "That is bad if he won't get himself together."

Sure, Bickslow was very acrobatic but there were also lots of mistakes with what he did. Kagura was strict with the rules and she did not allow even one mistake. In the end Bickslow ended up losing almost every point he earned in the quest, but managed to keep himself in the game still.

"At this rate Loke will caught up with him in no time at all", Freed said crossing his arms.

"Do you think Bickslow has any changes against him?" Roscoe asked looking at the others.

To his great surprise, they stayed silent.

"What? Really?" he said. "You don't believe he can win?"

"It all depends", Ever huffed. "How determined he really is to win."

"He has to win if he wants to be an S-class wizard."

"We know that and he knows that. But it just isn't that simple", Freed said. "Bickslow is more of a happy-go-lucky kind fighter, while Loke is a strategist. If you look only at the numbers, it is more likely that the strategist wins."

"But nothing is really decided before everything is really over", Laxus said. "As long as Bickslow keeps on fighting, everything can still happen. And even if he loses his upcoming fight against Loke, he can still have enough points so he can confront the S-class mage he chooses."

"You're one of those, right?" Roscoe asked looking at the blond dragon slayer. "What if he chooses you?"

"Then I will have a fair fight with him and he really needs to show that he is worthy enough to step up to be an S-class wizard", Laxus said.

"Has Bickslow ever won when you two have been fighting?"

"Never."

Roscoe looked at Laxus, who kept his eyes on the screen. How was Bickslow supposed to be an S-class wizard if he couldn't beat one?

"Don't worry, I'm sure Gramps knows what he is doing", Laxus assured. "There are also Gildarts, Mirajane and Erza who he might fight with. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they are weaker than me. I don't believe Bickslow would choose me, though."

"Why not? He knows how you fight."

"Yeah, and I know how he fights. It is highly unlikely that he can surprise me and surprises are one of his most effective trump cards."

Roscoe huffed and looked back at the screen. Being a wizard was really much more than he had ever thought. There was so much you needed to know. He hated to admit it, but he really started to respect Bickslow in a whole new way. Not that he actually hated the seith mage at the beginning if he was being honest with himself.

After a while Bickslow, Wendy, Loke and Bisca returned back to the Guild House this time to eat. Freed took this opportunity and he approached Makarov who was sitting on a bar counter.

"May I have a word with you, Master?" he asked.

"Hm? Alright, Freed", Makarov nodded. "Here or in my office?"

"Office, if that is okay."

Makarov nodded and hopped down from the bar counter and they headed towards the stairs. Freed closed the door after them and they sat down.

"What is it, Freed? Is everything alright?" the old master asked softly.

"I wanted to speak about Laxus", Freed said. "Have you noticed him acting differently in last weeks? After we came back from Naava Town?"

"Differently?" Makarov said surprised. "To be honest, I haven't payed that much attention to him lately, mostly because he is with you all the time so I thought you would tell me if something was wrong. So there is something then?"

"Yes. Or... I'm still just guessing but I'm pretty sure something is really bugging him", Freed said. "Something happened in Naava Town, just before we left."

"I see. Tell me everything, Freed", Makarov suggested

So Makarov could understand the situation better, Freed had to tell him more about his dreams and his grandfather's demons. Then he told how Jish-Ahrna appeared out of nowhere, how they all fell asleep and when he woke up...

"I have never seen him like that", Freed said shaking his head. "Never. And somehow I think that he isn't yet over it."

"He's not? Isn't he acting normal then?" Makarov asked frowning.

"He is, but it's just something that I can't describe fully", Freed huffed. "It's like he hasn't let go of some of those dragon instincts that came up that day. He is more alarm all the time, he hardly sleeps and I don't think that is good for him no matter what he says."

"I understand", Makarov murmured. "I believe your word when you say something is not right. So what do you suggest we should do?"

"That I don't know, I'm sorry", Freed sighed. "I wish I knew. I can only hope that nothing happens that might trigger his dragon side again, or he might end up getting even worse."

"Could you tell me what do you know about all this situation that might get him so worried?" Makarov asked. "I'm sure it must be something really big. Considering it is your grandfather who is doing this and if he did approach Laxus while you others were sleeping, what did he say? Can you maybe guess something?"

Freed bit his lip and thought back, how Laxus didn't want to tell Makarov why Lucados was after them. But... Maybe this was time to talk about that with Makarov.

"He wants a new heir", Freed finally stated. "Our son."

Makarov's eyes widened, then there were anger and then finally forced calmness as he shut his eyes.

"Son?" he asked.

"Yes", Freed said.

"Laxus has not yet said anything about that", Makarov chuckled slightly. "So there will be another son in Dreyar family then."

"We did not mean to keep it as a secret", Freed assured. "I thought Laxus must have already said something."

"He didn't. But I'm not mad, it's really something that only belongs to you and Laxus to know right now, but I'm happy to hear those news of course", Makarov smiled. "Does the little one has a name yet?"

"Yes. Felix", Freed smiled. "Felix Dreyar."

"I like that name. It has power in it. Who came up with that name?"

"Laxus. My other grandfather was named Felix Justine, so he thought it would be nice to use that name. I agree with him."

"Me too. That is a fine name", Makarov nodded.

Then he frowned darkly.

"So Lucados is after him?" he asked.

"I'm afraid so", Freed nodded worried.

"We have to do everything we can so one of us won't get in danger. No, two of us. Has he ever directly approached you or others yet?"

"No, only in my dreams or that one time when he sent Jish-Ahrna after us. But I honestly don't know what happened then. Laxus told me that he chased Jish-Ahrna away but that is all I know. I was hoping that you might know more."

"I don't, I'm sorry", Makarov sighed, crossing his arms. "I understand why Laxus didn't want to tell me about this, he knew I would set the whole Guild in alarm because of this."

"I think you shouldn't", Freed said quickly. "That would be selfish. Would you do that if Levi's baby was in danger in same way?"

"Of course I would!" Makarov yelled and Freed flinched. "Levi is my child just as much as everyone else here. And I would damn well make sure nothing happens to her. Nothing happens to my family as long as I live! Are they blood related or not and that is final."

"Yes, of course", Freed said. "I'm sorry I ever doubted that, Makarov. I know very well how much you treasure Fairy Tail and everyone who belongs to it."

"Good", Makarov said. "But now we really have to think things through. If there is such a danger, maybe it is a good thing if we stop S-class Trials -"

"No!" Freed said looking at the old man. "We can't do that. Bickslow and everyone, they have been waiting for this to happen the whole year! And I don't want to sound like I'm talking for Bickslow's benefits because he would not like that, but I know he has done an gone through so much so he can have this chance finally! He wants to prove that he is worth to be an S-class wizard."

"But as the situation is right now, we can't guarantee the full safety", Makarov said. "I'm sure Bickslow and others would understand."

"I know they would. But it's still not right", Freed said stubbornly. "Laxus is there all the time, he is taking care that nothing happens, I'm sure everything will be alright. Just until the Trials are over. Please, Master, let them have this Trial and have their chances to prove themselves. Fairy Tail needs new S-class Mages."

Makarov huffed looking at the rune mage. He was still really worried, but he did get Freed's point. S-class Trials were a big thing for mages. He as well knew that Bickslow, Wendy, Loke and Bisca would all understand if they stopped them, but it wasn't just that simple. That would mean a whole year waiting until the next trials.

"I understand", he finally murmured and Freed was relieved. "But I will make some arrangements."

"Arrangements?" Freed asked confused.

"Yes. Since we can't trust that your grandfather won't maybe do something while the Trials are on, and knowing him how he was at younger age, I will make an announcement that Gildarts is our next Master if something happens to me."

"Grandfather would go that far? Why would he attack you?"

"We just can't be sure about anything in situations like this", Makarov said. "If that man is determined to have his heir no matter what... He will most probably attack the whole Guild. But he won't do it just like that, he will attack sneakily and destroy everything from inside out."

"So he would go straight to the Master of the Guild?" Freed said.

"That is the most effective way if he is as strong as I think he is today. He is a strategist just like you. He knows that when there is a Trial going on, the Guild is really vulnerable even though we have all of our S-class wizards here in the same town. If he uses that same fog and causes everyone to fall asleep..."

"But that didn't effect Laxus."

"We don't know if it did or why it didn't. Not before Laxus tells us something himself. But as he is being a stubborn blockhead right now, trying to take care of everything himself I doubt that he will tell us."

"I'm afraid you're right", Freed sighed. "What else arrangements were you talking about?"

"It is better if you will stay with Laxus here at the Guild House", Makarov said. "At the guest rooms. I suggest the Thunder Legion should stay too and I will as well. This house is more safe than being there in the middle of the town in a small house."

"Others might start to wonder what is going on."

"I will tell them not to worry about it. I would like to ask many others to stay as well, but then we had to tell them what is going on."

"We should invite Roxanne, Roscoe and Kvestor here too, since they are staying with us."

"You're right. Tell this to them now, after the battles are over you all go pack your things and come back here. I'll try to come up how we can make sure Lucados cannot attack us just like that but until then this is our plan. Do you understand, Freed?" Makarov said.

"I understand, Master", Freed nodded and he stood up. "I will go talk to them right away."

"Good. I have to leave back to the town now with Bickslow and others but inform him when he comes back after the battles. Talk with others now."

"I will", Freed nodded and he stepped back to the hallway.

Somehow he felt even more worried now than when he entered in the office.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 54 21
My mother disappeared when I was merely five years old and I was alone. I cried everyday until I wandered into the forest and met my best friend, Pri...
79.8K 1.8K 20
You are a fire mage with unusual fire magic. You make the fire take shape and smell and taste like different things. (For example you can make a fire...
13.2K 287 5
Laxus is a blonde Lightning Dragon Slayer and he's developed feelings for the captain of the Thunder Legion, his personal bodyguards, named Freed. Th...
3.9K 70 12
Just a remake of my old story "Mate" from my old account @ToraAstrid. I thought that I would... errr thoroughly improve it after rewatching Fairy Tai...