It All Started With a Diary

By leshae051304

I anticipated every breath, and every word. Each day, you could only take an uneducated guess at what he woul... More

my mistake
cry baby
clumsy kimberly
spatula beating
monster
dove
eggs
date
defending the enemy
eavesdropping
emma
fairy tale
aching feet
nosiness
ruining a moment
surprise
swingsets
you expect more, you get less
bumping heads
gummies
netflix junkie
fuel
the moon and the sun
steak
soggy pizza
the past|part 1
the past|part 2
beautiful girl
postponed|part 1
postponed|part 2
lies
done
maybe|part 1
maybe|part 2
fighting it|part 1
fighting it|part 2
fighting it|part 3
fighting it|part 4
fighting it|part 5
seen
answers
here
again
retaliation|part 1
retaliation|part 2
retaliation|part 3
retaliation|part 4
thankful
silent punishment
broken
understand
antique
us
tough girl
light
run away
truth|part 1
truth|part 2
boyfriend-girlfriend
okay
olaf
presentation
fighters
lion
13
calm
you
dry
perfect
fine
ariel
butterflies
one
knees
anything
cupcake
burrito
holly jolly
snow
yours
wybie
craft
sleep
talk
listen
annabeth
exchange
angel
dead
stuffed
rose
to remember
rue
woe
triste
family
time
good
fight
race
earn
goodbye
mine
notes
effort
rain
skywrite
living
loving
epilogue
sequel

offer

16.5K 595 84
By leshae051304

I'm so sorry for the long wait. I hope you guys like it. Enjoy! 🤍

"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." — Mother Teresa
———————————————————

Chapter 37
<——————————————->

I continued to press the pads of my fingers into the palm of my hand. My organs were in knotted twists as I watched the lit arrow.

Finally, the elevator doors began to open. I hurried out. Ever since Ryland had picked me up from school, my nerves were to the roof. I had fiddled with every strand on my shirt, crinkled every piece of paper I could find, and clutched the two thighs I had more than I could count.

I was impatient to see my dad, to the point of pain. I hadn't heard any type of news concerning him from anyone all day, and that irked me to the very core.

The only thing I heard from Ryland was that our dad was alright. But, I could only take into consideration what I'd seen with my own eyes. I didn't want to raise my expectations for my dad only to have them lowered again.

The doctor stopped us before we managed to make it to dad's room. I looked at him, my expression surely unreadable.

"Is he alright?"

"The test results for a stroke came back negative, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't very close to one. His blood pressure was dangerously low..."

I thanked him with a small smile. I said nothing as Ryland told me to wait for him by the door. I watched as he turned, walked back to the doctor, and carried off into a small conversation.

Before I knew it, I was in front of our dad's door. The freshly painted teal door stood in front of me, with the either terribly painful, or very helpful truth behind it.

I heard the footsteps behind me cease. "I can tell you're nervous from a mile away," Ryland teased from behind me.

I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye. I ran a hand through my hair, attempting to calm myself. I said nothing in response, though I knew he was telling the truth about my uneasiness.

I walked into the eerily quiet room, overshadowed by my fear. I was taken aback when my eyes fell on my dad. Everything seemed to go quiet.

He was partially out of bed, with two feet on the floor and his upper body on the bed. He was leaned over, face scrunched in unreadable emotion. Once he noticed Ryland and I, his brown eyes grew warm.

"About time," my dad joked, his lips rising in a small smile.

I beat a world record as I rushed over to him. I didn't realize I was crying until one of the tears slipped down my cheek. I hugged him tighter, clouded by emotions. I never wanted to let him go.

I was gentle but urgent with my hold. "I missed you," I whispered into the crook of his neck.

My dad's grip loosened as I raised myself up. "I missed you, sweet girl." His hand gently pushed the loose strands of hair out of my face as he smiled.

"Do you...do you feel any better?" I attempted to ask through the thick void of emotions.

He placed his hand on top of mine. "Now, I wouldn't be up if I didn't feel any better, baby. I may not feel like I'm the strongest in the world right now, but I'm still able to speak and move. I'm grateful, and beyond happy just to see you and your brothers' faces, again."

We hugged again. I basked in the warmth he provided for the both of us. I continued to scold myself for the mistake I made when I said such hurtful things to him. My lesson was learned, and even though he was no longer completely healthy, it still meant the world that he was here, that he was alive.

"You should have seen her when we were walking to your room," Ryland added, nudging me in the shoulder. I scorned him with a glare; I figured he knew dad had been awake.

Dad's eyes lit up in humor as he glanced at Ryland. "No making fun of your sister, boy," I smiled before he began speaking again, "Without me."

I rolled my eyes at the both of them, but I'd suffer a million. I was beyond thankful of everything we said or did with each other from then on out. I wouldn't trade these moments together for anything.

***

"Cheater," I shot at Ryland, who gathered his winnings closer to his chest.

"Hate the sin, love the sinner," Ryland retorted, laughter following behind his words.

I grabbed his and dad's cards, placing them on top of mine. I looked at dad, who seemed to be off in a daze.

My heart jumped in my chest. "Are you okay? Do I need to get the—" I was cut short as he grabbed my hand.

His smile satisfied my fears. "I'm alright, dear. I was just taking in some things."

I frowned. Lately, the news that came from him were rather painful to hear. I couldn't bare to brace myself for the impact of what he would say next.

Ryland was silent beside me. I glanced at him as he placed the cards down on the tray my father's plate was once on.

Then, it clicked. "Is it about her?" I asked, eyes downcast.

I figured that this conversation would come into the picture sooner or later. It was the talk I never wanted to have, though I knew it was needed.

My dad's expression read it all. "I think I've made my decision."

I shoved out a sigh. "I-I understand. She's Ryland's mother, not mine, so I have no right to—"

"No, Kimberly. She won't be living with us, not if it makes you uncomfortable," he dismissed with a saddened smile.

I stared back at him in shock. A huge grace of guilt lingered over me, one that I couldn't diminish. I lowered my head at the realization of my selfish motions. I didn't realize until now that I was the problem in the equation. He was in love with her, and legally, she was still his wife. She was Ryland's mother, not mine. As much as it hurt, I needed to let my dad be happy, for once. For once, I needed to allow his happiness before mine.

In less than seven months, I would be graduated and possibly away from this town, nonetheless. I could hold out until then.

With a ragged breath, I said, "Dad, I-I understand now, where you were coming from. If it makes you and Ryland happy...then it does for me, too."

Dad sighed, his dark eyes gliding up toward me. "Kimberly, baby, I've known you for seventeen years, and I know that you aren't as alright with this as you let on. I will do whatever makes you happy in the end, both you and your brother."

He always had, and that was the problem. "That's the thing, dad. You need to allow some type of happiness for yourself, too. You can't always make us happy, if you aren't as well. And, if she makes you happy, then I-I'll tolerate her."

I tried to make my words convincing. By all means, I wasn't alright with that woman in our house, anymore. But, if it kept my dad's smile on his face, then I would keep up the act. Plus, Ryland deserved the chance I never had: to have a mother.

My dad scanned me over for a moment. "It will just be until she gets on her feet," he reassured me.

I didn't quite believe that; he was still in love with her. But I'd be gone to college before I even had to dwell on it, so instead, I nodded, words long gone. I turned to Ryland, who was oddly quiet.

"Are you okay?" I asked him.

Out of a trance, his eyes snapped up before he blinked. "Yeah...yeah, I'm good." I continued to stare him down, even when he sent a smile behind his words to close the case. He mumbled something, before leaving the room in a worrying speed.

My eyes raised as the door opened seconds behind him. In came Raven, with Maggie and Jax in tow.

Raven's pretty smile lit up the room. "Hope it's not a bad time," Raven said, her eyes wincing.

I stood up, walking closer. "It's a fine time." I smiled afterwards, looking at the gifts she held.

All three of their hands were occupied by either balloons, bears, or cards. Raven held a gift bag in either hand, blue gift paper on top of whatever was inside.

"We tried not to bring too much," Jax joked.

Maggie lowered her balloons to the table. "There's more in the car." She chuckled at my alarmed expression, raising her hands in defense. "Kidding, I just wanted to see your reaction."

Before I could react, Raven had pulled me in for a hug. "How is he doing?" she asked once we pulled away.

"I'm doing just fine," my dad answered for me, smiling at Raven.

I chuckled, motioning toward him. "As you can tell by his own account, he's doing alright."

Maggie and Jax were introduced to my dad weeks ago at the diner. Immediately, they hit it off since my dad was a soccer fan, and he also was a talkative man of charm.

"We would have came sooner, but Jax took too long in the store," Maggie blindly insulted her brother. He scowled in return. I rolled my eyes at their premature argument, deciding to change the subject before the conversation grew on between the two.

"Speaking of you," I turned to Jax. "When is your first game?"

His dimples deepened as he grinned. "Next Thursday, and I'm beyond ready for it. You all have to be there," he declared.

"Of course we'll be there, who else will embarrass you?" Raven chuckled.

"Our grandmother will beat you to it, if she can make it," Maggie answered, shuddering under her own memories.

"Come to think of it, didn't you want to join the cheerleading team?" I asked Maggie.

Her expression grew agitated. Her eyebrows grew closer from their original spot as she dropped her crossed arms.

"Those bitc—" she paused once she realized my dad was in the room. "They wouldn't let me try out, because of that chick Natasha."

Immediately, I grew just as agitated. "What did you do to her?" It wasn't an accusation, I was just curious as to why Natasha had a personal vendetta against Maggie herself, other than the incident in the hallway, but that wasn't even her fault. I figured it probably had something to do with Kade and I, though.

The hurt look she once wore was long gone at my words. The glint of an upcoming wickedness caused a moment of caution inside of me.

She shrugged. "It's not what I did. It's what I'm planning to do," she answered in a simple tone.

I stared her down with curious eyes. I had no idea what she was talking about, but by the sound of it, I guessed it wouldn't turn out good for Natasha.

At the curious expression from my dad, I decided to leave the conversation alone for now.

Raven seemed just as clueless as I was. She shook her head, and sided with my decision before looking to my dad. "So, Mr. Wrighton...I know that you know that Kimberly is never one to jump into the mix of the high school life."

I crossed eyes with her. Where was she going with this?

Dad didn't pay me any mind, instead, he focused on Raven's tricky eyes. He nodded once, only encouraging Ravens' feigned innocence.

"But, I was just wondering if you would maybe let her go out this weekend. With me, well with us," she motioned toward the two twins behind her. "We will watch over her, and it will only be a few hours. No alcohol, or things of that nature, and you already know that she's one of the most responsible—"

My dad raised his hand to stop her sentence. Raven stopped speaking, her eyes pleading.

I cheered my dad in a silent smile. I didn't know of what Raven thought she would accomplish from this, but I knew that she still had a couple of tricks up her sleeves.

"Only on a few conditions," my dad offered.

Fuck.

"Anything," Raven replied.

"You must make sure she's alright the entire time," he paused for a second to see Raven's agreeing expression. "And, you have to make sure that Kimberly enjoys herself." The smile on their faces pained my vision, despite the dim of light in the room.

He had to be kidding. No father in their right mind would allow their child to go out to a high school party, especially with the overwhelming male population that would be there.

I scrambled for words and any excuses. "Dad, I-I can't. You're in the hospital, and what kind of daughter would I be if I left you here, especially by yourself."

"I have Ryland here with me," he answered so casually. "And, it's not like I'm dead, dear."

"So, that still doesn't mean I shouldn't be here," I said with a frantic edge.

"Baby, the doctors are only keeping me for less than a day now that I'm stable. When you get out of school tomorrow, I'll be leaving the hospital, and there will be nothing for you to worry about," he reassured me. "Now, I want you to enjoy yourself with your friends, and just...be happy. You deserve it more than anyone, Kimberly. That's the end of this conversation." 

I pressed my lips together in frustration. I tried to tell myself that this could be a better experience than last time, but I just couldn't muster up the strength to do so.

Maggie noticed my angry expression, and sent a smile of encouragement. "Don't worry, Kimberly."

Easier said than done.

Dad shifted himself upwards in the bed. "What day will this party be on, again?" he asked.

"Saturday night," Raven replied, still wearing that damn innocent smile.

Dad seemed to think it over for a slight moment. "Alright. Just have her home early, I'll need her Sunday."

"Yes sir, we will," Jax said with a grin.

I turned to my dad. "What are we doing Sunday?" I asked with confusion.

"Kade's mother visited me earlier. She invited all of us to an early Thanksgiving dinner she was throwing," he informed me.

What?

What did he say?

The question continued to toy with my brain, even as his words finally synced. It didn't take rocket science to realize that I would be required to be in the presence of him. I would have to be around Kade.

Suddenly, my body lacked oxygen. "I need to get some fresh air," I cut the conversation off as I walked away.

My head began to pound. My heart constricted against its cages. My hands felt sweaty, and my skin felt clammy, and my heart was so incredibly heavy.

Why?

I looked in all directions for an answer as I entered a random hallway. I cursed myself, I cursed Kade, I cursed everyone.

Why did this have to happen? I was beginning to learn a life without Kade, or at least I was convincing myself I was. Even if the convincing barely worked, I at least succeeded at staying away from him as he did me. But, now, I knew that this would be impossible. I would have to be around him, for who knows how long? Hours, maybe. I didn't think my barely functioning heart would be able to react correctly to the exposure.

"Kimberly?"

I turned to see Maggie standing there.

Her expression jumped at mine. "You good? You ran out so fast; I could barely even catch you," she tried to joke, though my worried expression quickly crushed her spirits.

I placed a strand of hair behind my ear, eyes downcast."I'm alright."

I saw her black sneakers scurry closer. "Is it about that Kade guy?" she questioned, spot on.

My low leveled expression said it all.

"He is such a little—" she stopped once she realized her words would do nothing.

Maggie's hand swept through her hair once, before she caught my eyes in an intense stare. "Look, I honestly don't understand the position you're in, because I've never really been in it...but I can say that you have so much more to offer up than what you think." She sighed. "You're beautiful and intelligent, in every single way there is, and I'm not sure who, but whoever told you differently can choke. And as for Kade, you can't allow him to scare you away from opportunities to show those same beautiful, unique qualities off. I know this may not seem like an opportunity, but it is. Call me petty because I am...but I think it's time you show the asshole what he's missing."

I looked at her, completely wired by emotions. I couldn't comprehend her words in the way she needed, but I still understood. Though I lacked knowledge of what she meant by offer up. What she and the others' saw of me, I didn't know. All I saw was a mess, a complete, utter mess.

At my confused trance, she soon added with a large grin, "I'll explain tomorrow." I nodded in return at her words.

I sighed, pressing my back against the cool wall. "Thank you, Maggie," I said to her sincerely. "Really."

Her and I had never really shared a deep conversation in this way. I didn't even think Maggie did deep. But, the slight push of encouragement from such a strong woman as herself seemed to help.

She waved me off. "Don't thank me; no girl should be crying over a man for too long, especially him." She shuddered at the end of her sentence, and I couldn't help but chuckle.

She lifted herself from the wall, motioning for me to follow. "Now come on. I'm sure Jax and Raven are boring the shit out of your dad."

I watched as she walked ahead of me. Soon enough, I followed behind her to the room, her words weighing me down.

'I think it's time you show him what he's missing.'

***

"Wait, where are you going?" Maggie asked me.

I placed my bag down beside her. "Just watch over my stuff for a second."

I turned, and walked in the direction I had planned to. I didn't know where my mind was this morning, but I knew I needed to do this.

I reached his table. "Carter," I said in a quiet voice.

Carter's head snapped up, as if he were trapped in a trance. "Oh, what's up?"

"Nothing. I just want to talk to you about ditching you on the project," I apologized to him, focusing on my feet.

I sounded stupid to my own ears. Why was I apologizing to a guy who tried to force his hands and lips on me, and not only that, spread rumors and photos about me? He was lucky I didn't hit him in the balls with this chair. But, I didn't like the idea of hun having something else over my head, like this project. So, I needed to rid myself of it altogether before carrying on.

Carter's brows rose at me before falling. "Oh, the project...yeah, it's fine. Don't worry too much."

I nodded, swinging on my heels. "Are you sure?"

He waved me away, his eye twinkling in the classroom dim light. "I'm completely sure. The project was easy, and it was really a one person task, anyway. Besides, I do owe that to you."

My head bobbed on it's own as his words sank in. He owed that and more. "Alright, well thank you for you know...doing the project." I wanted to get out of this conversation as quick as possible.

"It's fine," he reassured me.

I didn't even say goodbye before turning around. Soon, I was back with Maggie, who eyed me down curiously.

Her eyes grew suggestive. "Good replacement for Kade," she said after the moment of silence.

I rolled my eyes; if only she knew. "There's no replacement for Kade because there is no Kade."

She snorted.

Finally, I sighed. "Maggie. One of them attempted to assault me in the parking lot of a movie theater then posted pictures and spread lies; the other saved me from said guy, took me to get food and stayed with me until I was calm, but is making my life crazy. Pick which one is which." I jerked around to face her.

Her eyes grew wide before she narrowed a glare on Carter. "Holy shit..." I nodded to confirm her suspicions. "Maybe you should just become a lesbian. This is way too much."

I chuckled, turning back around in my seat. I heard her say, "If you tell me to, we'll jump him. He's big as fuck, but if we get him from behind and call for Jax, we'll get the job done." Laughter spewed from my lips but I cranked her threat down.

The first two periods of the day seemed to carry on in a quick pace. Eventually, the third period bell rang. I strung along behind the other students as I came face to face with reality. I would have to see him, again. For the next forty-five minutes.

Fuck me.

I stopped myself as the thought passed. I even sounded like him.

I was too caught up in my waves of fear to realize that I needed to take one step at a time. An oomph fell from my lips as I slipped into the arms of a stranger.

A very strong stranger.

I raised my eyes to see the sharpest of blue eyes staring back at me. I didn't know how to react at the sight of the stranger's humorous gaze.

His head tilted. "You alright there?" he asked me, an accent at the edge of his voice.

I nodded abruptly. I didn't realize that I was still in his arms until the stares of my peers led me on. Immediately, I scrambled to get away from his chest.

I gave an off putting smile. "Sorry," I mumbled in my own shame and embarrassment.

"It's alright," he said with a shrug, his lips tilting into a half-grin. "You were easy to catch."

Now that I was away, I could catch a clean vision of his face. And, wow, was I happy that I did.

His eyes were blue like I had said. Though, I was very misleading. Instead, they were jewels. The rarest of diamonds.

His brown hair was swept up, and followed in waves behind his head. He was definitely in shape, but not in the bulging way. His jaw was strong, just as he appeared to be. It was beautiful, he was beautiful.

"Well, clumsy girl," his wink sent me into a blushing fit. "I'll see you around." I may have imagined it, but once he passed me, he let his hand graze against mine just enough to pass it off.

With that, he walked away. I watched as he casually blended into the swarm of teenagers.

I didn't know whether he was new or not. I hadn't seen him around, but I guess that wasn't very resourceful from me. I didn't care to know a lot of people in the school, anyway.

I was only a few doors away from Mr. Crawfield's class. I continued to stare after the strangers' steps, but something else caught my attention from the corner of my eye.

I struggled against the invisible string until I gave in. I searched behind me, then to the side. I froze as I saw Levi and Luke, along with a couple of girls' in front of them. My eyes scrutinized Levi first, since he was supposed to be with Raven. I made it a mental mark to tell her later.

My heart warned me of something before my eyes could. I searched once more, before I finally caught the source of energy. Now that the students had cleared, I could see.

I turned my eyes, frozen in my spot as I saw Kade against a locker, a girl to his side. Her hand was slithering up either side of him, large breasts thrusting into his chest. Kade grasped her hand, shoving it off of him entirely before stepping away, his lips in a scowl as I saw him say something indecipherable to her. Whatever it was, it made the girl's face flush with anger before she jerked around. I averted my eyes form her and back to him, but his eyes were only pressed solely onto me.

And, by the looks of it? He was angry, really angry.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 289 32
Aria had a simple life, she had her friends, her brother, and her parents. At the time she thought life couldn't get any better; minus the guy she wa...
245K 5.2K 59
"Who the fuck did you tell?" He asks me as he takes a step closer towards me, making me also take a few steps back. "Stop being so fucking loud and...
2M 53.5K 53
[COMPLETED] Autumn Cross is now in 12th grade at her new school, Willington High, with only one goal in mind: passing the 12th grade and going to a g...
10.3M 345K 33
"What the hell?! Kennedy!" I watch as Ryder turns around furiously and strides towards me. Oh oh. Maybe I took it too far... "What'...