The Proving Series

By Dredge116

Proving Him Wrong book 1 Paige McGuire is a girl from the wrong side of the tracks. Damien Josef is the son o... More

Summary & Copyright
Cast and Trailers
Proving Him Wrong - Prologue
Proving Him Wrong - 1.
Proving Him Wrong - 3.
Proving Him Wrong - 4.
Proving Him Wrong - 5.
Proving Him Wrong - 6
Proving Him Wrong - 7.
Proving Him Wrong - 8.
Proving Him Wrong - 9.
Proving Him Wrong - 10.
Proving Him Wrong - 11.
Proving Him Wrong - Epilogue
Proving Myself - Prologue
Proving myself - 1
Proving Myself - 2.
Proving Myself - 3.

Proving Him Wrong - 2.

656 29 1
By Dredge116

Banner by aneonsky thank you so much.

Mom and Dad came home at the same time last night. So, it was easier for me to tell them what happened while the twins were at Clara's place. Mom was pissed at first that all their stuff was stolen. Then she settled down and said. "We'll just have to buy more electronic things. But, until we can afford it we'll just have to go without."

Dad looked at the fridge and shook his head. "What kind of moron would mess with another person's food?"

I shrug. "Maybe, they were after cash. You know people actually freeze their money."

Dad laughed. "Yeah, they are morons. If the people that stole our stuff are from here they should have known that we don't have enough things."

Hayden rubbed her eyes and said. "I'm tired, Paige. Can you take me to bed?"

I picked her up and placed her on my hips.

Darcy reached up and I scooped her in my arms and put her on my other hip.

Hayden pulled my hair. "Horsey, gallop."

I galloped down the halls with the twins. I put them in their bed. I pulled the blankets over them.

Hayden sits up in the bed. "Mommy," she covers her mouth.

I laughed at her slip up.

She smiled. "Paige, can you sing to us?"

I nodded. "Lie back in the bed and close your eyes. I love you both."

"I love you, Paige." They closed their eyes.

I pick up the guitar that I hide under the bed. I strum the chords and I begin singing to them.

"I know two beautiful girls,
They have blonde hair and brown eyes,
I call them my twin sisters.

I protect them the best I can,
I love them with my whole heart,
I want them to have a better future than me,
I want them to dream of things possible.

They shouldn't worry about money,
Or food on the table,
Or things being stolen,
They should enjoy their childhood."

I looked at the door and saw Mom and Dad standing there.

"This is there 'goodnight song'
Something I made up while strumming,
On this guitar,
Goodnight, twins."

I placed the guitar under the bed and turned off the lights.

Mom smiles when I exited the room. "I forgot what a beautiful voice you have. Maybe, we should get you to busk to get us the TV and radio back." She joked.

I shakes my head. "I can't busk when I have a job to go to in the morning."

My alarm clock goes off at 7am, I climb out of bed and head towards the bathroom. I pick up my hair brush and brush my black locks.

Hayden opens the door to the bathroom and she sits down on the toilet. She rubs her eyes and looks at me. "Get out!" she yells.

I roll my eyes. "I was here first." I tie my hair in a bun and then exit the bathroom. I close the door. I make two bowls of Lucky Charms for the twins. I pour milk into it. I pull out some bread and put it the toaster. I turn the jug on for my parents.

Before, Mom and Dad got home last night Nick brought some food over for the twins and I for breakfast.

I wonder what they'll say when they see this.

Mom and Dad enter the kitchen and they look at me. "Where did you get all this?"

I make Mom and Dad a coffee. "Nick brought it over last night. He didn't want us to starve."

Mom smiles, "I always liked that boy. I don't understand what you saw in that rich prick Damien."

She never swears.

I cross my arms. "Mom!"

Mom laughs. "What? He is. Why haven't I seen him here since you graduated High School. I thought the two of you would be connected at the hips before he left for University?"

I look out the window. "He dumped me in front of his popular friends. He told me I wasn't going to amount to anything. He even called me trailer trash, dirt poor and that I have nothing going for me."

Mom pulls me into her arms and hugs me. "Sweetheart, you are going to show that man up. I don't care how you do it, but, you will be attending University next year. Then you'll prove to that prick you are worth everything."

I smile into Mom's arms. "Thank you, Mom."

The twins sit at the table. "Lucky charms." They yell. I pick up the spoon and put it in the milk. They bring the food to their mouth and eat.

I give Mom and Dad there coffees. "There's a loaf of bread in the bread box. I need to get ready for work. I'm leaving with Nick at eight o'clock."

Mom looks at the twins. "I can drop them off with Clara before I go in for my shift at the diner. I have a double shift to do tonight."

"Okay, I won't be home until 5.30. I'll cook something quick for dinner." I turn to Dad. "What time will you be home?"

Dad looks at Mom. "I'm not coming home tonight. I need to fly to Phoenix tonight for a job interview."

I look at the twins. "I hope you get the job. I won't be moving with you. I'm staying here. The University I want to attend is close by."

"I knew you would want to stay here. Which is why if I get the job you get to live in the trailer. But, you need to find a roommate."

I hug Dad. "Thank you." I walk to my room and pull out a pair of black pants and a singlet top."

I walk into the bathroom and brush my teeth. I exit the house and make my way to Nick's place. He's standing next to his car with his arms folded. He smiles. "Morning, Paige."

"Good morning, Nick." I climb into the car and put my seatbelt on.

Nick climbs in and puts the key in the ignition. He puts his coffee cup in the holder and pulls out of the dirt road. "What did your parents say last night?"

I shake my head. "They weren't happy at first that the things they worked their asses off to own were stolen. They don't think it was anyone from the trailer park. But, I wouldn't be surprised if it was that druggie group that hangs around the public toilet."

He nods. "I've seen them staking places out over the last couple of weeks. But, your place wasn't one of them. Something must have happened for them to target you."

"The opportunity came up yesterday when I was job hunting. At least the twins were safely tucked inside Clara's when it went down." I look out the window.

Nick looks away from the road for a second. "I'm glad they weren't home when it happened."

I turn towards him. "My Dad applied for a job in Phoenix and he has in interview."

He smiles. "That's great you get to get away from this shithole."

I shake my head. "I'm staying if he gets the job."

Nick pulls the car over. He looks at me. "This is an opportunity for you to decide what you want to do with the rest of your life."

"Nick, I know what I want right now. That's to work at Antonia's and wait for my acceptance to UCLA in January. If Dad gets the job I was wondering if you would move in with me?"

He hugs me. "I would love to move in with you, Paige. Then I won't feel like a burden to my parents. They haven't been happy with me since I quit University after one semester. That place wasn't the right fit for me. I couldn't waste a scholarship that someone else could use. So, I spoke to the Dean of Students and I asked him to give it to someone that could use it."

Nick pulls the car onto the road and he drives me to Antonia's.

A couple minutes later, we pull in front of Antonia's coffee shop. Renee is unlocking the door when I step out of the car.

Nick leans over and says. "I'll pick you up after your shift."

"I'll meet you here." I shut the door to the car and walk over to Renee.

Renee turns towards me. "Uh, we're not opened yet."

I smile. "I'm not a customer. Antonia hired me yesterday."

She shakes her head. "I can't believe that Grandma would hire someone. I've been telling her for years to hire more people and she refuses. What did you do to get her to hire you?"

Renee and I enter the coffee shop and I put my bag in the office. I stock the serviettes, lids, spoons and sugar.

I turn to Renee. "Yesterday I came in here to order a coffee for Nick and your Grandmother had a crowd of people in here. I stepped behind the counter and took orders while she made coffee."

Renee frowns. "What time was this?"

"Eleven thirty."

She shakes her head. "Damn, she didn't tell me that. All she told me when I got back to work after my lunch break was that she hired a girl."

Renee fills the coffee machine with beans and other things.

I walk to the dining area and I put all the chairs on the ground and straighten the tables. I wipe the tables and chairs quickly. I flip the open/closed sign over.

A group of people walk into the coffee shop and I walk behind the counter. I smile and begin to serve the customers in front of me.

I hear the door open and look at it. I look into a pair of familiar blue eyes of my Ex.

I don't want to serve this douche bag.

Renee looks at me. "Is everything alright?"

"I need to go to the bathroom."

She nods. "Go!"

I open the door dining area and head straight to the bathroom. I splash water on my face and lean against the sink.

After a couple of minutes, I exit the bathroom and move behind the counter. I serve customers as they come through the door.

Damien watches me from the table with his friends. He rises and whispers something to the group.

I straighten up the counter and give it a quick wipe.

A throat clears in front of me and I glare at the person in front of me. "What do you want?"

He looks at the cakes. "I want slice of Lamington. Cut in half the way we used to share it."

I cut him a slice of lamington and I put the whole slice in the brown paper bag. "That will be $2.50."

Damien puts the money on the counter. He opens the bag and looks inside. "I told you to take a half of the cake."

I lean on the counter. "I'm not your girlfriend, Damien. You don't need to pretend to care about me anymore. You let your true colors shine on our graduation day. For the rest of your stay here, just do us both a favor and stay away." I put the money in the till. I see a couple enter the shop and they line up behind Damien. "I have customers to serve."

Damien walks over to his friends and they shoot me dirty looks.

Real mature.

I smile. "Welcome to Antonia's what can I get you?"

They place there order and I put it into the till. I tell them the price and they give me the correct change.

Renee places the coffees on the table. She looks at the group. "Is there going to be any problems with that group?"

I shrug. "They are unpredictable. Am I going to be fired if they start something?"

She shakes her head. "If you retaliate then I'll have no choice to do it."

Damien and his friends rise and they exit the shop.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51 31 25
This book tells the story of two university lovers who managed to still be in love with each other even after graduation. Stella got pregnant in her...
6.3K 29 21
Ella Augustine has everything any other 17 year old girl would want. Her step-sister has been her best friends since they were 5. Her Step-family lov...
3.5K 765 46
There was only one word to describe them - Inseparable. Marlene and Leandrea are your twin goals. The perfect siblings who did everything together...
99.7K 2.5K 41
Lindsey thought she had it all figured out. This was her last year at University and she was happily engaged. That is until she told her family. No o...