(REWRITING) The Skylar Experi...

By NoppityNope666

"Three weeks. That's how long I got to have drama-free. I'm not sure what is happening to me or to Oakwood. N... More

Bonus Luc POV
Important notices + Playlist
Prologue
Chapter One - Friendly Newcomers
Chapter Two - Miles Spencer
Chapter Three - Took You Long Enough
Chapter Four - Spencer's Place
Chapter Five p.1 - What Is A Mutant
Chapter Five p.2 - What Is A Hunter
Chapter Six - Provocation
Chapter Seven p.1 - The Detention Pen
Chapter Seven p.2 - Meanwhile
Chapter Eight - End of Detention
Chapter Nine p.1 - Disagreement about Miles
Chapter Nine p.2 - Meet Tony
Chapter Ten - Luc and Emma
Chapter Eleven - Stalking Van
Chapter Twelve - Corn Harvest
Chapter Thirteen - Recovering
Chapter Fourteen - Oral Presentation Anxiety
Chapter Fifteen - Suspicious Dad
Chapter Sixteen - Armory
Chapter Seventeen - Stranger Number
Chapter Eighteen - Busted
Chapter Eighteen (2) - Brave New World
Chapter Eighteen (3) - Cockblocker
Chapter Nineteen - Hunter Baby Steps
Chapter Twenty - Night in Oldbridge
Chapter Twenty-One - First Kill
Chapter Twenty-Two - Keep Adam in the Dark
Chapter Twenty-Three - To The Barn
Chapter Twenty-Four - Highway To Columbus
Chapter Twenty-Five - Freecore Tech
Chapter Twenty-Six - Metamorphic Code
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Pacific Coast
Chapter Twenty-Seven (p.2) - The Train Chase
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Time to Talk
Chapter Twenty-Nine - About The Hunters...
Wild, Wild Forest
1. Night Birds
2. Night Birds
Chapter Thirty - Sneak Out to The Party
Chapter Thirty-One - Exposure
Chapter Thirty-Two - Betrayal
Chapter Thirty-Three - PMSing
Chapter Thirty-Four - Miles' Side of The Story
Chapter Thirty-Five - Evolve System Dynamics
Chapter Thirty-Six - Behind The Glass
Chapter Thirty-Seven - Christmas Tree
Chapter Thirty-Eight - Making Amends with Luc
Chapter Thirty-Nine - A Drunken Luc
Chapter Forty - Truce
Chapter Forty-One - Riley and Miles
Forty-Two - Damage Control
Chapter Forty-Three - Covering Up The Incident
Chapter Forty-Four - Break Up
Chapter Forty-Five - In Preparation
Chapter 45.1 : The Spencers' House
Chapter 45.2 - Red Flags
Chapter Forty-Six - Partners in Crime
Chapter Forty-Seven - NIO
Chapter Forty-Eight - Pursuit Over The Bridge
Chapter Forty-Nine - Finally Home
Chapter Fifty - New Year's
Chapter Fifty-One - Loose Ends
Chapter Fifty-One (2) - The Cool Kids
Chapter Fifty-One (3) - Follow The Blood
Chapter Fifty-Two - Red Beacons
Chapter Fifty-Three - Warehouse
Chapter Fifty-Four - Ethan The Savior
Chapter Fifty-Five - Guess Who's Back
Epilogue
Onward, my dudes
Roots (Part One)
1. Twin Bond
2. Family Dinner
3. Hit It Like You Mean It
4. Group Chat
5. Moving In
6. Start of School
7. Past Issues and Present
8. Adaptation
9. Heart and Stomach
11. Warning
12. Oopsies
13. Rumor Has It
14. Stay
15. Hitch
16. Provin' Them Wrong
17. Coming Out (sort of)
18. Dreadful News
19. Reprimand
20. Halloween
21. Not Now, Not Ever
22. Ain't No Party Like A Mutant Party
23. Ain't No Party Like A Mutant Party (part 2)
24. Ain't No Party Like A Mutant Party (p.3)
25. Aftermath
26. Aftermath (part 2)

10. Road to Columbus

28 4 19
By NoppityNope666

*this is just one big ass song trip*

Raymond removed his hands from the wheel but it continued to steer on its own while he put his music in the car. When the sound filtered through, his head bobbed with a smirk. They've been riding for two hours and he'd let her plug her playlist. Now, it was his turn. 

"Is that AC/DC?" Lauren asked from the passenger seat. 

He gasped. "No, that's Bon Jovi! How do you not know the difference?"

"It's your music, not mine. I don't even like this type of--"

"Finish that and I'm throwing you out in the road," he cut in. "Your little butt needs to be educated. Forget Ariana Grande and Taylor Swift. I'm blessing your ears, today."

"Hey, Ariana and Taylor are good singers!"

He shushed her and cranked up the volume. "Listen here, you little shit. This is art."

She listened, rolling her eyes at his reaction. At the end of the song, Raymond asked her what she thought. She shrugged with a vague sound coming out of her throat. 

"Okay... I think you'll like this one. It's You Give Love A Bad Name." His eyebrows waggled. 

"But I know that one."

"Then sit back and fucking appreciate it."

Yeah, Raymond was serious about his favorite bands and artists. Lauren wisely nodded at the familiar beat and even repeated some of the lyrics--those she knew, preferring not to argue with him on it. 

"Now, this is AC/DC. And after that, I'll show you Scorpions and Queen and Guns N' Roses... Rush is worth hearing, too... there's Led Zeppelin..." He took his hands off the wheel again. "This is T.N.T."

When that high, scratchy voice accompanied the electric guitar and the drums, she was able to tell the difference from Bon Jovi. It was more edgy and made her want to move. Raymond caught her smiling at the radio, her head lolling energetically. 

"Like it?"

"Not bad..." Lauren stroked her chin, eyes narrowed. 

The car was practically driving itself at this point, but in reality Raymond controlled it on the highway as if he physically handled the wheel. A man in the adjacent lane gawked from his window and Lauren had to yell at Raymond to be careful. 

With a lazy grin, Raymond noticed the man and wrapped one hand around the wheel. He winked at the driver like he'd seen nothing and carried on. Lauren smacked his upper arm, scolding him for clowning around like that. He didn't care. 

"Now, Baptism by Fire. Pretty fitting since I'm baptising your music tastes right now and it's fire."

"Ooh, I like that one!"

Raymond smiled, perking his head up. "Oh my God, then you need to hear Shot Down in Flames."

She did, and slowly she started enjoying the songs, humming along when she didn't know them and singing boldly when she did. Raymond blasted her ears nonstop with Touch Too Much, We Will Rock You, Livin' On A Prayer, Bohemian Rhapsody... 

By then, it became Lauren's turn to plug her music again, but she forgot and lost herself in the edgy feeling these songs gave her as they boomed through the car interior. Raymond openly jammed to them, his hair flicking back as he snapped his head up and down. 

When Rock the Blues Away came, Lauren copied him, both grooving in their seats. Her loose long hair flipped around her shoulders and she laughed. Shaking like a deranged individual was just as fun as listening to the songs. It felt like letting go and being free, and Raymond knew the words by heart. 

"I didn't know you can sing!" Lauren exclaimed over the noise, doubling over from giggling. 

He winked. "Of course, I can! I can do anything, Wikie!"

"We won't have any voice left by the time we see Micheal!" she yelled. 

"Who cares? It's worth it!"

***

"Are you a computer keyboard? Because you're so my type," Raymond whispered seductively in her ear. 

She winced. "Eh. Five out of ten. It could work but I don't know, it's pretty basic if you ask me. Now, quit distracting me from my screen."

"No, wait, I have another one. Are your pants a compressed file? 'Cause I'd love to unzip them."

"Ew, that's just vulgar."

She tried to swat him off and roll her chair closer to her station, but he only had one objective on his mind: testing out his lame pick-up lines on a female. He teetered in a fragile stability on his seat to whisper to her, almost falling off of it. She could nudge him and he'd slip...

"Computer techs have skilled fingers if you know what I mean..."

Lauren removed her hands from the keyboard, sending him an exasperated look. "You. Are. Nasty."

He huffed. "You haven't seen nasty. Not that you ever will."

"If you stop this, I'll buy you lunch," she offered. "Just... please, let me focus, for the love of God!"

"Deal. You're buying me a sandwich and a ton of brownies, you hear me?" Raymond straightened and took position in front of his computer. "By the way, your coding's a little off."

"What?"

He pointed a finger at a precise point on her monitor. "You mistyped a Java line here."

"Oh. Thanks." She corrected it. 

The programming would be converted into binary through Compiler and then be executed. Her exercise today was to make a sophisticated version of the game Connect Four using any progamming language she liked. Raymond tested on his part the solidity of an antivirus software and created new viruses to try and find weaknesses. All that without breaking a sweat. 

They resided in a private room near Micheal's personal office, away from the rest of the workers. Human employees knew about young relatives visiting the building like a frequent version of bring your kid to work day, but the kids had to be discreet. After all, teenagers normally didn't understand computer programming so soon. 

Micheal paid each of them a hotel room in a building nearby whenever they traveled to Ohio, that way they stayed for several days without driving all night. At that moment, the man strolled inside with three steaming cups on a carton cupholder. 

"How's it going, kids? I didn't have the time to see you clocking in earlier, so I hope the hot chocolate from the coffee shop downstairs will redeem me."

Lauren plucked a cup and carefully distanced herself from the monitor. "Oh, you are most definitely forgiven." She sipped through the plastic hole, closing her eyes as the whipped cream left a white trace on her upper lip. "Yes."

Raymond picked another cup. His face twisted after swallowing once. "Shit, it's bitter as hell."

"You found my coffee." Micheal exchanged the cups. "I like it black and coarse."

Raymond shuddered, the taste still stuck in his throat. "You're a sick fuck, old man."

"Language, boy." The man gave him a warning look. "You should take notes from Lauren. She's my number one little lady."

Raymond rolled his eyes, clearly displeased to be compared while Lauren smiled in satisfaction. She fanned her eyelashes theatrically, mimicking a crown over her head, and he muttered something about wearing a dress next time to get the favor treatment. 

Micheal extracted a folder from his suit jacket and dropped it on an uncluttered area of the desk. 

"I also came here to give an extra task to one of you. Since Raymond's being so lovely, my choice is made and the honor's all yours. Open it, they're just instructions to follow. One of my employees couldn't come in and this has to be done today."

Raymond reached for the folder with a leery arm and paged through it, frowning. After taking a minute to read it, he threw file back on the desk and glared at Micheal. 

"Seriously? This is going to put me on overtime! You're joking, dude."

Micheal affectionately ruffled Lauren's hair and beamed at Raymond. "Then I suggest you start working asap before you stay on it until lockdown. Hurry up if you want to join me and the family out to a restaurant in the evening. Lauren, are you coming?"

She agreed--big surprise there.  As their supervisor marched towards the door, Raymond's arms went up in disbelief. "Man, what the fuck? This is exploitation!"

Micheal ignored the shouts. "Good luck! You are paid for the hours, of course!" He closed the door on his way out. 

Lauren swiveled her chair with a victorious smirk. 

"You're just mad you can't go out partying in the big city and I get to be free in four hours."

Raymond groaned, dropping an elbow on the desktop. "Well, looks like I won't be pausing for lunch if I have to manage this task. You can head down without me, I'll be camping here all afternoon." He cracked his knuckles and stretched his neck, inching closer to the monitor. "Say hi to the family later for me, okay?"

She prepared to leave her station but felt it was mean to leave him drowning in whatever Micheal assigned him. Raymond had initiated her to her first notions of programming, taught her the different computer languages. She was barely ten and eavesdropped on him as he worked on his laptop. He'd scowled after noticing that the munchkin continued to stare and wouldn't go away. 

So he hauled the girl onto his knees and described every action step by step. Surprisingly, she liked it and learned at the speed of light. Raymond had always spared a little time to help her through what he'd learned at her age ever since. When Micheal heard of it, he was delighted and encouraged her down that path.  

"You know what, I'll still buy you lunch and bring it over here." Technically, eating in a computer room was a huge no-no, but if Micheal didn't see it, then it should be fine just this once. "And I'll help you with that chore to get it done faster. Two minds are better than one, right?" 

Raymond smiled appreciatively but shook his head. "Don't bother. It's a tad bit above your capacities. Micheal was going to give it to me, anyways."

"I'll learn as I go if you explain. It's not the first time I crunch the knowledge to keep up," she laughed and rose to her feet, digging through her pocket to retrieve a few bills. "The stupid Connect Four can wait."

He watched her dash out of the cubicle, long hair trailing behind as she turned the corner. A sense of peace and gratitude warmed his chest while he returned to his monitor. That child was too precious for this world. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 125 26
"Mom said that we would make a new underground. I just didn't see how that was possible, but somehow we did. The only problem was that we were all wa...
1.5K 60 14
When Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr go looking for other mutants, in a great effort, to stop the world from going into a third world war, they are...
11.4K 1.2K 48
---Book of the Month 2018 winner in the sci-fi category from awardofthemonth2018--- ---1st place winner in teen fic Writer's Circle Awards by concinn...
14K 2.8K 32
✪ 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐲𝐬 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 ✪ ★ 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐲𝐬 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 𝐁𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐂𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 ★ ☆ 𝐅𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞𝐝 @𝐒𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢�...