1. Macabre Marmalade (COMPLET...

By Snirion

The Knitting of the Realms changed the world forever and transported Todor Corpus three centuries into the fu... More

I (1.1)
II (1.2)
III (1.3)
IV (2.1)
V (2.2)
VI (3.1)
VII (3.2)
VIII (4.1)
X (5.1)
XI (5.2)
XII (5.3)
XIII (6.1)
XIV (6.2)
XV (6.3)
XVI (7.1)
XVII (7.2)
XVIII (8.1)
XIX (8.2)
XX (9.1)
XXI (9.2)
XXII (10.1)
XXIII (10.2)
XXIV (11.1)
XXV (11.2)
XXVI (12.1)
XXVII (12.2)
XXVIII (13.1)
XXIX(13.2)
XXX (14.1)
XXXI (14.2)
XXXII (15.1)
XXXIII (15.2)
XXXIV (16.1)
XXXV (16.2)
XXXVI (16.3)
XXXVII (17.1)
XXXVIII (17.2)
XXXIX (17.3)
XL (18.1)
XLI (18.2)
XLII (18.3)
XLIII (19.1)
XLIV (19.2)
XLV (19.3)
XLVI (20.1)
XLVII (20.2)
XLVIII (20.3)
XLIX (20.4)
L (Epilogue)

IX (4.2)

35 10 44
By Snirion

Agent Hillard nodded a few times as if he wasn't sure what to say next but before he could say anything the room doors opened and two vampire lackeys motioned them to get out. Todor and Hillard looked at each other then obeyed.

Four of them moved through an empty building that looked like an abended school. Todor glanced through the windows hoping to see some landmark or detail that would tell him where in a city they were but had no luck. Outside he could only glimpse a concrete yard with decrypt tables and benches. The sound of bagpipes and drums was almost upon them or so it seemed to Todor. Whoever those people were they were in no hurry to get there. Psychological warfare? Against vampires? Who are this guys? He wondered glancing at Hillard who walked next to him, spine erect and steps light. He knows but I don't think he will volunteer that information.

"Good to see you are not worried," Todor said to break the silence.

"Shut up, food," goon behind them said pushing Todor slightly.

"I am not your food, you genetic dead end," Todor snapped back.

Great job, tough guy. Antagonize immortal predator of the night some more. He thought to himself, annoyed at his lack of self-control. Luckily vampire just smiled.

"I was one of the few who beat you up in that alley," the vampire said showing fangs in a mindless grin.

Todor didn't know how to respond to that. He wanted to land his fist in the face of a bloodsucking idiot but he just shrugged.

"Hope you enjoyed it," was the only thing he said before hurrying up to catch up with the other goon who was ignoring them altogether.

Suddenly the window next to him had a tiny hole appear with cracks spread around it like rays of the sun. The leading vampire jerked his head once. Twice. Three times. And then just crumbled to the floor like a discarded rag. Todor swirled to see what will the annoying one behind him do. What he saw was a figure dropping from the ceiling with a large dagger in hand. The unknown person came down on an unsuspecting vampire with a speed and agility that Todor hardly registered. The dagger flashed once, twice and three times, stabbing the creature in different points, neck, armpit, and heart. Stab,stab stab. The movement was practiced and almost elegant in its efficient brutal glory.

Todor froze looking at the figure that just dispatched the hunter of the night like it was nothing but a small obstacle. It was hard to guess if it was male or female because it wore furs and leathers with a hood that covered its head almost entirely. What wasn't covered with a hood was covered with a mask that to Todors untrained eyes looked like it was made of plastic. But after a second he realized it was bone.

"Agent Hillard, where is my sister?" the stranger said in a husky voice distorted by masks filter. It sounded female but it was hard to tell through the mask.

Hillard sighed looking at the stranger. He didn't look glad to see this person. He looked tired instead.

"Govern informed you that you and your people have no jurisdiction here. You are risking the peace in entire city by disturbing the delicate balance," he snapped at the newcomer. Stranger cleaned his or her dagger and spirited it away beneath the furs and leathers of their clothing. Then reached for his mask and with a hiss removed it. Climate controlled bone mask? That is new. The face that stared at Hillard from her hood was face that was quite similar to the bald woman Midnight Breeze was feeding on in his cell. The memory of the vampires action upon the unknown girl almost made Todor gag.

"We listened in on your phone. Looked like you were willing to risk peace in this entire city as well," strange woman said with a note of arrogance to her voice.

Hillard squinted at the newcomer. He does that a lot. Hill get crows feet very young. Todor thought observing the confrontation.

"Listen. Your sister entered into that contract willingly. City can't move on Midnight Breeze because of that. It would make for a dangerous precedent," Hillard started speaking fast, "What would happen if all the powerful people started fearing for their safety and moving their businesses elsewhere? This entire city would collapse!" Hillard said with his voice getting more and more shrill as he went on. The last word was almost a scream of frustration, "Your sister got away from Ledenah Soozah for a reason," he spat out more calmly after quick intake of breath.

Well, he lost it. Don't make stabby, stabby, lady angry, agent Hillard. Todor thought as he put his palm on the agent's shoulder. Hillard shrugged it away.

"Why would I care for this city, little man? It disgusts me. Letting vampires walk around like they are people, knife-ears commanding good people around like they are cattle," the woman said in a low, icy tone without moving a muscle.

Todor observed the scene confused but then decided that this arguing went long enough.

"I am sorry to cut this interesting philosophical debate short but I think we should be moving," he said, "I don't know in what direction but we should be moving somewhere that is not here."

As soon as he said that gunfire sounds came from somewhere in the building. Both Hillard and Todor turned in the direction of the sound. But strange woman just stood there without any surprise showing on her face.

"That is the rest of my družba taking care of little delaying force your ... honored 'businessman' left behind," the stranger said with particular scorn embedded in the word 'businessman'. Todor froze at the word 'družba'. His mother's face went through his mind and her endless tries to teach him the language of his ancestors.

"Are you insane? You'll turn this city into a bloodbath!" Hillard snapped.

"Your friend is correct, we should get moving," the stranger said then turned to Todor, "My name is Kail Wong. What about you?" she asked before putting her mask back on.

"Todor," he responded curtly.

"Old name that. Alright, Todor. Stay with Wakani no matter what," the stranger said and run off down the hallway.

Todor stood dumbfounded. Wakani? Who is that? He wondered before turning slightly to witness another figure dropping from the ceiling. This one wore transparent goggles and no hood, two braids flapping behind her as she landed in a crouch.

"I am Wakani and I'll be your senka for today," the newcomer said and grabbed his hand pulling him after Kail.

"What is with you people and falling from the sky?" he mumbled trying to keep up.

They run for a few minutes before getting to a stairway. Wakani dropped his hand and unsheathed large knife from her belt and a pistol from the insides of her furs. With both arms holding a weapon she took a position aiming downward. Todor nodded in admiration but then winced at the pain that movement caused. Adrenalin apparently prevented him to feel the extent of his injuries but he feared he will soon be in much greater pain. Fine, just let me be somewhere else before I fall on my nose, he thought in frustration.

Kail was nowhere to be seen so Todor glanced at Wakani questioningly. She shrugged at the unuttered question. So they took the stairs down in silence, careful not to make much noise. Todor glanced over the railing and saw they were on the fourth floor, maybe fifth. Great, my sore beaten muscles will be yelling in joy at this workout.

When they got to the second floor the bagpipes and drums assaulted their ears even more fiercely. Sounds of fighting and yelling joined in from somewhere closer.

"Look," Hillard pointed at the glass pane windows that covered an entire wall of the staircase. Todor followed his finger and looked at the atrium beneath them.

There Todor saw a group of vampires, heavily armed with shotguns and swords advancing from one side. The twinkle of something on the roof drew Todor's attention. He scanned the rooftop at first seeing nothing. But then he noticed it. A figure with a rifle.

"Damn that newbie. I told him not to use optical sights," Kail said behind them startling Todor.

Before he could say anything six figures jumped from the empty windows on second and first floor. They were among the vampire guards a moment later. Slashing and stabbing before anyone had a chance of retaliating. At first, it looked like a one-sided battle but then one of the vampires let out a blood-curdling screaming. Frothing at the mouth he started moving so fast Todor couldn't track him. Before he even knew what happened all of the six fur wearing attackers were dead and from the twelve vampires, only five remained.

"Crap didn't expect they had awakened one," Kail commented like the death of six of her comrades was a mild inconvenience.

But then the man on the roof opened fire. Joined by seven others that Todor didn't even saw. The remaining vampires fell one by one. The fast formidable one died the last trying to climb the building to get to the shooters.

"Alright, the show is over," Kail said, "Let us get you two out of here before more show up. Maybe saving your asses will let that pissy Governor let us build an embassy in the city or something," she added with a snort.

Todor glanced at Wakani but she just shrugged. Hillard started grinding his teeth audibly. They followed Kail to the ground floor, while shootouts somewhere out there echoed through the empty building. Todor watched Kails and Wakanis movement and something in it just wasn't right. They move as fast as it is needed to maintain speed but not as fast as to tire themselves or to break out in sweat. From Ezezu Todor got an approving feeling that bordered on prideful.

At the ground floor, a troop of six people in similar garb as Kail and Wakani showed up. One was playing the bagpipes, second one the drums while the other four were heavily armed with swords, sniper rifles, and other deadly instruments. Todor stared at them in disbelief. He realized that under all those furs and leather they wore some kind of high tech armor. The leader of the group, in particular, wore something that was far bulkier than the others and instead of the bone mask or goggles he had a helmet that hid his entire face. Kail saluted to him.

"You have her?" the leader said in a voice that was distorted by the helmets filters.

"No, sir. The bloodsucker took my sister with himself as he fled. But we got our contact and the bystander," Kail replied.

"Not so good. Orders came from Ledenah Soozah. If this operation fails to acquire our runway we are ordered to return," the helmeted man said sternly.

"But sir ..." Kail started to protest.

"I am sorry. We all miss Wendy, but we simply can't risk the ire of Moriganhold at the moment. Trust in your sister, she will survive this," he put his gloved hand on the woman's shoulder, "This wing of the building is clear of bloodsuckers. Escort this two to the extraction point. Take two of my fighters with you."

"Understood," Kail said and saluted again then pointed to two fighters to join them. She should have chosen two musicians, Todor thought wistfully.

They walked swiftly with fighters going first, then Todor and Hillard, with Kail and Wakani on the end of the group, guarding their tail. Painful bruises and scratches that were a gift of the attention of the vampires started to ache and burn Todor at increasing intensity. He clenched his teeth trying to stay focused on keeping with the others. He let out a sigh of relief when the leading fighter motioned them to stop.

"What is it?" Kail whispered scanning the hallway behind them.

"Four bloodsuckers dead ahead," one of the fighters said in same low voice.

"Awakened?" Kail wanted to know.

"I don't know sir. Hard to tell."

"Then we try to avoid them and let the others clean up the trash later," Kail said pointing to a stairwell that they just passed.

The group backtracked to the stairs and went to the first floor. Todor guessed they wanted to go over the group of unknown vampires instead of fighting through them. For which Todor was grateful. He was in no condition to run, let alone fight. They reached the end of the hallway and took the stairs again, coming down to the ground floor again. Once they got to the lobby they increased their speed and run into the field outside.

Todor gasped at the sight that awaited them there. Five large trucks and few SUVs were parked in a circular formation with twenty people in same attires as his companions in defensive positions around the entrance. Swords and rifles flashed everywhere.

How did I get here? Todor asked himself inwardly. I just accepted invention to a party! And now I am being saved by a group of fierce barbarians from the evil vampire lair. He let out a moan when one of the armed people helped him get into trucks back. He took a sit right away and Hillard and Wakani set next to him. The armed men with Kail left them there, going on with their assault or recon, or whatever else they were planning of doing. He closed his eyes for a second before he turned to Hillard.

"Alright, who are these people?" he asked, weariness evident in his voice. "What was all that about, I want answers."

"They are my people," Wakani said surprising him, "We come from a place called 'Ledenah Soozah'. One of our own runaway to this city."

"Frozen Teardrop." Todor translated. He smiled when he saw the shock on Wakanis face. There mother, I remember something of your lessons, he thought.

"You know Oymy language?" she asked eyes wide.

"No, don't even know what that is. I know mishmash of Slavic languages. My mother was a first-generation immigrant while my father was the third generation. They came from two different Slavic countries," he tried to explain but it was clear Wakani had no idea what he was saying.

"It doesn't matter. Whatever language your people speak it has some Slavic roots," he concluded and then nodded for her to continue.

"You are probably right. My people come from a pocket of spacetime that formed during the Knitting. Trapped in a place of arctic cold with a tribe of vampires," she started telling her peoples tale. Todor made himself a bit more comfortable in his sit and listened, "They came during the night and snatched our people in steady intervals. Cullings, they called them. But all the human tribes gathered when they couldn't take it anymore. They made a city under the ice, Ledenah Soozah. And from there they became strong, they trained their bodies and after a while, they managed to enhance their technology as well. For millennia we fought the vampires, but it was the losing battle. If we didn't burn their bodies their friends would just take them to their lair and revive them. And then our spacetime pocket rejoined the world properly. That was twenty years before I was even born. But our elders lived alone under the ice for so long they concluded that it was better to stay hidden. It was stupid. So as soon as she could our wayward daughter, Kails sister, Wendy, run from there and came to Moriganhold," she stopped talking and looked at Todor.

He nodded and closed his eyes.

"That explains much," he said slowly, "Now I need some painkillers before I faint."

He wasn't serious but when he opened his eyes again Hillard was rummaging through a first aid kit that he found somewhere in the truck. Before he could say anything agent gave him a pill with a plastic cup of water.

"Thank you," he murmured and swallowed the medication with a thirsty gulp of water. It didn't take long for the pill to do its magic, "Ah, that's better."

"I need to join my brothers and sisters," Wakani said before exiting the truck leaving Todor and Hillard alone.

"What are you going to do now?" Hillard asked slowly, his brow slightly furrowed.

"Go home, take a shower, sleep a bit," he said with a shrug, "Then call my boss and explain that I didn't skip work on the whim. Don't know how to sell all kidnapping thing. Doubt he will believe me."

"Alright, but after that," he insisted, slightly annoyed.

"Probably binge watch first season of Buffy, the vampire slayer. Just to feel some satisfaction in simulated vampire slaughter," he said with a grin.

Hillard looked at him with amusement and disapproval plastered across his face. Then he giggled chuckled slightly.

"I don't like you mister Corpus. I think this entire mess will make Governers job harder, and by extension my job as well," he said suddenly, "But I am glad that you haven't been turned into the mindless blood bag. Just call it basic human comradeship."

Todor nodded, not sure where he was going with this. The group of fighters showed up saving Todor from further conversation. Wakani was among them.

"We found some things vampires left behind," Wakani said giving a backpack to Hillard.

Todor glimpsed at it when the agent opened the container. There were few nicknacks inside but among them, Todor saw his phone. He grabbed it, hoping it didn't get broken. Phones with touch screen were rare and expensive. Not because the technology was lost but because without the need for internet browsing screens reverted to keyboards with tiny screens. And the touchscreen was just for enthusiasts and niche customers so the price of a few models that had them rose as well.

He unlocked it and let out the sigh of relief that it wasn't damaged. He wasn't surprised when he saw that he got seven missed calls from his manager. He got a text from Mab and Irry too but his vision got too blurry to read them. Maybe I should go to the hospital. It could be a concussion.

"Can you guys give me a ride to a hospital?" he asked, his speech slurring.

Wakani nodded and before he knew what was goingon Hillard and him were in a back seat ofa large SUV. I am not going to getcaptured like that ever again, he decided before darkness overtook himagain.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129K 709 39
Do you like cliche books? Emo books? Dark and mysterious books? Well this is the place to go! I have a ton of cliche and awesome books that are total...
153K 7.6K 46
My name is Alex Cruz, I'm a omega, so I'm just a punching bag to my pack. But Emma, Queen of werewolves Sam, queen of dragons Winter, queen of vampi...
7.8K 688 104
- Continuing from book 2 Chapter 87 - Rated 4.7 out of 5 stars, 12 reviews on Amazon.com. [A.K.A. Kairos Astroire & the Silent Lambs Empire] Jones we...
1.2M 88K 23
#Book-2 in Lost Royalty series (But can be read standalone ) Ekaksh Singh Ranawat The callous heartless , sole heir of Ranawat empire, which is spr...