Miss Gryffindor || h. potter...

By beachsideviews

๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ด๐˜ด ๐˜จ๐˜ณ๐˜บ๐˜ง๐˜ง๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ || "I love you, you idiot!" ฯŸ Besides daring, nerve, and chivalry, Gryffindor... More

before you read
epigraph
prologue
- 1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
- 10
11
12
13
14
15
- 16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
- 30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37

2

6.7K 130 41
By beachsideviews

POPPING A BERTIES BOTTS EVERY FLAVORED BEAN into her mouth, the girl's face twisted in repugnance as the intense taste of liver hit the back of her throat causing her to cough.

"Sprouts?" Ron questioned as he unwrapped a chocolate frog a small amused grin spreading across his face at the girls facial expression.
"Liver." Ariana coughed out as she bit into a pumpkin pasties ignoring the delighted expressions that the boys held. There was a short knock at the door diverting the group's attention towards the sudden noise. A round faced boy stood in view looking quiet tearfully desperate.

"Sorry," he apologized in an upset hushed voice. "but have you seen a toad at all?"
Aria was the first to speak up with a sympathetic frown, "I'm afraid not."
"I've lost him! He keeps getting away from me!" the boy whined dramatically.
"He'll turn up," Harry hopefully offered.
"Yes," the boy muttered. "Well, if you see him..." he trailed off
"we will find you immediately." Aria finished with a certified nod. A small sigh escaping her lips as she leaned back in her seat after the boy left becoming automatically relaxed once again.

"Don't know why he's so bothered," Ron began. "If I'd brought a toad I'd lose it as quick as I could. Mind you, I brought Scabbers, so I can't talk. I mean, He might have died and you wouldn't know the difference." Ron paused for a short second before continuing, "I tried to turn him yellow yesterday to make him more interesting, but the spell didn't work. I'll show you, look."

After rummaging through his luggage for a short moment, he pulled out a wand pointing it at the grey rat that sat on his lap. He went to speak when the compartment door swung open in a swift - yet rapid - motion.

A girl with bushy brown hair with tall posture spoke with a domineer tone.

"Has anyone seen a toad? A boy name Neville's lost one." the girl asked.
"No." Ron spoke honestly with a sense of annoyance laced in his voice.
"Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see then." the girl interjected suddenly interested in her surroundings.
"Aghhhemm. Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow, turns this stupid fat rat yellow!" Ron's wand zapped yet nothing seemed to happen. Like he was not at all surprised Ron shrugged it off but the girl had another opinion.

"Well, it's not very good, is it? I've tried a few simple spells just for practice and it's all worked for me. Nobody in my family's magic at all, it was ever such a surprise when I got my letter, but I was ever so pleased, of course, I mean, it's the very best school of witchcraft there is, I've heard — I've learned all our course books by heart, of course, I just hope it will be enough — I'm Hermione Granger, by the way, who are you?"
Noticing the boy's stunned expressions Aria piped up interrupting the shocked tension in the room created by the girls extremely fast introduction.
"I'm Aria Anderson." Aria introduced.
"I'm Ron Weasley." Ron muttered out next.
"Harry Potter" Harry answered

"Are you really?" Hermione asked slightly surprised. "I know all about you, of course — I got a few extra books for background reading, and you're in Modern Magical History and The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century."
"Am I?" Harry asked bewildered
"Goodness, didn't you know? I'd have found out everything I could if it was me," Hermione paused. "Do any of you know what house you'll be in? I've been asking around, and I hope I'm in Gryffindor, it sounds by far the best; I hear Dumbledore himself was in it, but I suppose Ravenclaw wouldn't be too bad. . . . Anyway, i'd better go and look for Neville's toad. You three better change, you know, I expect we'll be there soon."

After the girl left Aria swallowed slightly intimidated, "Wow. are all people like that at Hogwarts?"
"I hope not." Ron answered in a soft tone "I mean you'd fit fine either way but I'd be bloody screwed. Anyways, whatever house I get put in... I just hope she's not in it."
~~
As the three chatted about the houses they hoped to get in and Ron rambled on about Quidditch after Harry had claimed that he didn't have a team he rooted for, not knowing that it even existed a day ago, the door slid open for the third time recently. Yet, it wasn't Hermione nor the frightened boy who lost his toad. Instead, it was Draco which caused Aria to automatically roll her eyes as they landed on the boy in the doorway causing her to slid back into her seat, arms crossed.
"Is it true?" he said. "They're saying all down the train that Harry Potter's in this compartment. So it's you, is it?" he paused indicating harry's presence before his eyes drifted to the brunette who aimlessly grabbed a book.
"Aren't you going to introduce us Anderson?"
Aria faked a smile tilting her head to the right looking straight at the pale boy ignoring the glances from the two that stood reluctantly like bodyguards on either side of him.
"I truly believe you don't need my help introducing yourself Malfoy, after all, you don't seem to have any problem making your appearance well known without anyone else's help."

Draco squinted at the girl opening his mouth to say something but then realized that the girl had shoved her face in her book once again brushing off his presence so he closed his mouth and turned back to the raven haired boy in front of him. Noticing his longing stares at the two boys standing promptly on either sides of him, Draco spoke up. "This is Crabbe and this is Goyle." he introduced shortly and carelessly.

"and my name's Malfoy, Draco Malfoy." Draco greeted proudly. Ron let out a slight cough causing a small amused smirk to spread across Aria's face from under her book as Draco shot a glare at the boy.

"Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask who you are. My father told me all the Weasleys have red hair, freckles, and more children than they can afford." he stated coldly towards Ron.
"You'll soon find out some wizarding families are much better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." He proposed the offer, holding out his hand to shake Harry's yet it was denied awkwardly.

"I think I can tell who the wrong sort are for myself, thanks." Harry retorted causing Draco's cheeks to go a slight tinted pink with embarrassment. "I'd be careful if I were you, Potter," he said slowly. "Unless you're a bit politer you'll go the same way as your parents. They didn't know what was good for them, either. You hang around with riffraff like the Weasleys, and that Hagrid, and it'll rub off on you. Some can even surprise you with the burden they carry or the footprint they leave in your world." He said finalizing his thought his eyes drifting over to Aria causing her heartbeat to rise in the accusation, feeling the room close around her the girl was quick to jump up and scramble to her feet, pulling her book bag to her body and squeezed her way out of the compartment mumbling quick excuses about needing to go get into her robs and apologies as she felt herself becoming ridiculously overwhelmed.

Draco was right. she was just a burden towards everyone and the fact that he would just out and say that to the two boys she thought she began to become friends with -- she couldn't believe it. She never felt so embarrassed, or useless and she hated it. She missed her mom, her best friend. So much it made her want to tremble. She wanted to go home, but her home was a person and she was miles away from her.
~~
Dressed up in her Hogwarts robes, Aria straightened herself and walked slowly off the train, the cold night air caused goosebumps to form under her thin robes causing her to shiver. A lantern bobbed over the head of the students as a strong voice called out in a kind yet stern order, "C'mon, follow me — any more firs' years? Mind yer step, now! Firs'years follow me!"

Aria walked carefully over, minding her step, as the man suggested.

she trailed down the long dark pathway with the other first years.
"Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec," Hagrid called over his shoulder, "jus' round this bend here."

After what seemed like hours of watching her step carefully, Aria approached the boats searching for one with less than four people and when she spotted one she came to a stop noticing who was in it, Hermione, Ron and Harry.

Her breath hitched as she felt a sudden rush of embarrassment from being so overly dramatic and running off earlier. The girl cleared her throat slightly and climbed into the boat smiling kindly at Hermione who returned the gesture.

"Everyone in?" shouted Hagrid, who had a boat to himself. "Right then —FORWARD!"

The boats took off in a jerk, and they glided across the lake. Soon enough, after the boy being reunited with his frog, and approaching the castle a tall black haired lady in long robes swung open the front door making her appearance.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid.
"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here."

Professor McGonagall pushed open the main doors leading them to the great hall, they crowded in to listen to her welcome speech, "Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats you must be sorted into your house. They are Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Now, while you are here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you house points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup." Professor McGonagall spoke in a loud clear voice.

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."

Her eyes lingered for a moment on Neville's cloak, which was fastened under his left ear, and on Ron's smudged nose while Harry nervously tried to flatten his hair.

"I shall return when we are ready for you," said Professor McGonagall."Please wait quietly."

After McGonagall returned and ordered them in a line, they trailed through the great hall.

Everything about it was magical, the room dazzled under the lamplight and the sky was bewitched to look like the night sky. In a strange way, her surroundings resulted in Aria's worries and nerves to be lifted off her shoulders as she headed to the front of the room with the rest of her class, her eyes caught a pair of familiar ones from the train, Fred Weasley. She felt her heart do a small tug as he playfully wink at her, causing her to bit the inside of her lip to keep from grinning and look away from him. When Hermione's voice brought her away from the boy.

"It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History." Hermione ranted towards no one in particular.

"All right, will you wait along here, please? Now before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words." Professor McGonagall persuaded while Dumbledore rose from the main table.
"I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce. The first years please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch has asked me to remind you that the 3rd floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you."

Aria raised a curious eyebrow at 'a most painful death.' surprised by the headmasters use of vocabulary.

"When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on you're head, and you will be sorted into your houses." Professor McGonagall paused before calling out the first name, "Ariana Anderson."

Aria her heart beating ten times harder than normal, as her feet refused to move under the pressure of the stares longing at the side of her head. Suddenly in a quick subtle movement she was pushed out of her circle, to the center stage by Ron and Harry. Glancing back at the duo her eyes glazing with astonishment, she furrowed her eyebrows when they gave determining nods and in this quick interaction between the trio, Aria breathed in deeply and walked to the stool. In seconds, an old hat was plopped on her head and flapped over her eyes, blocking her view from the crowd in front of her.

"Hmmmm. Miss Anderson, you're mother was one of the bravest witches I've ever met. she accomplished extraordinary things when she was here with that bravery. However, you do have that spark of cunning spirit within you that can lead you to magnificent things. Yet, you're intelligence and loyalty separate you into Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw......."
"I think it's ought' to be.. GRYFFINDOR!"

Cheering breaks out throughout the hall, and Aria hopes of the stool with a smile as she approaches the table that held Ron's brother's as well, sitting down she turns to Harry and Ron and give them two big thumbs up in support.

Hermione was placed within Gryffindor.

Draco was placed in Slytherin, like his father.

Ron was placed in Gryffindor, like the rest of his family.

And Harry followed.

Soon after a fulfilling meal, long dwelling chats with Hermione about classroom, ghosts, and what seemed to be the school's song. Aria pounced through the crowd after Ron's brother, Percy Weasley. The gryffindor perfect.

He stood tall and wore a constant brightly lifted grin and a held a sparkle in his eyes of accomplishment.

Ariana thought that he seemed to be a bit of a gloater off of Ron's stories about when he landed the opportunity to become the head of the house, yet, she understood as well -- if you succeed in something there's nothing wrong in being proud about it. But sometimes, you can stretch a bit too far in presenting your pride.

the chattering of the paintings followed the group of students as they approached of a portrait of a heavy woman in a pink silk dress and in a polished voice she asked Percy for the password.

To which he replied, "Caput Draconis," and the portrait swung forward to reveal around hole in the wall. They all scrambled into the room to find themselves in the Gryffindor common room, it was warm and welcoming. Percy directed the boys to their room through the door and the girls to the other side.

Ariana fell on her bed at the sudden sight of it, already beginning to feel the exhaustion take over.
"Isn't Hogwarts just magical? I mean, it's just as brilliant as they describe in the books." Hermione gushed as she sat on the bed.
"I would hope it's magical considering it's supposed to be a magical school." Aria pointed out, pushing herself up when she spotted her trunk from a glance.

She rushed over unlatching it to fall on the ground, digging through her clothes she pulled out her soft pajamas and pulled them on.

The girl ran her fingers through her hair and sighed as she turned around to face Hermione who had already put on her night wear.
"I've been meaning to ask you something." Hermione paused "but it might make you flustered or upset and I may be overstepping--"
"Go ahead, ask." Aria assured sitting back on her bed.
"What happened on the train?" Hermione asked in a quiet voice yet off of the girls uncertain glance she raised it hesitantly, "I saw you -- take off in a rush, you looked upset."

Aria swallowed looking down, "it was nothing to worry about Hermione, just some conflict between --"
"You, Harry and..." she trailed off quietly causing Aria to stifle a laugh realizing she was trying to remember his name.
"Ron." Aria informed "and no, not between them. Just someone wazzock who knows how to push my buttons."

"Oh, what did he say?" Hermione urged
Aria fell quiet, as she tried to wrap her head around if she could trust this girl she just met with her mothers reputation. She glanced at the girl and smiled softly, "rubbish things about my family."

she pressed her lips together. "look, i'm really tired from eating so much -- I think i'm going to head to bed soon."

After they bid a quick goodnight Hermione was out cold, but Aria stayed up scribbling under her blanket with her wand lit for a light source as she wrote to her mother.

Finally placing the letter aside after she finished, the brunette dug herself into her soft, warm, smothering sheets and let the darkness overwhelm her while she melt into the mattress --soothing off into a deep sleep unaware of the adventures prepared for her in the near future.

[edited: yes! (09/23/20)]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6M 147K 103
โžฅCOMPLETED โFred Weasley! You're such a pain in the arse!โž, she yelled, throwing her hands up furiously, but he just smirked with the usual mischievo...
196K 3.7K 66
ariana riddle is the daughter of the famous but feared dark lord who has been living with her uncle severus snape for all her life and has been best...
37K 829 29
"๐ผ ๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘–๐‘™๐‘™ ๐‘™๐‘œ๐‘ฃ๐‘’ ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข, ๐น๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘‘๐‘‘๐‘–๐‘’!" Y/N and Fred have been best friends since Fred's second year. They've been shoving their feelings fo...
167K 3.7K 54
Beatrice Rose Black; a name that provoked enigma. A fierce Gryffindor who has a past that she wants to change desperately. Being the daughter of Regu...