(REWRITING) The Skylar Experi...

By NoppityNope666

"Three weeks. That's how long I got to have drama-free. I'm not sure what is happening to me or to Oakwood. N... More

Bonus Luc POV
Important notices + Playlist
Prologue
Chapter One - Friendly Newcomers
Chapter Two - Miles Spencer
Chapter Three - Took You Long Enough
Chapter Four - Spencer's Place
Chapter Five p.1 - What Is A Mutant
Chapter Five p.2 - What Is A Hunter
Chapter Six - Provocation
Chapter Seven p.1 - The Detention Pen
Chapter Seven p.2 - Meanwhile
Chapter Eight - End of Detention
Chapter Nine p.1 - Disagreement about Miles
Chapter Nine p.2 - Meet Tony
Chapter Ten - Luc and Emma
Chapter Eleven - Stalking Van
Chapter Twelve - Corn Harvest
Chapter Thirteen - Recovering
Chapter Fourteen - Oral Presentation Anxiety
Chapter Fifteen - Suspicious Dad
Chapter Sixteen - Armory
Chapter Seventeen - Stranger Number
Chapter Eighteen - Busted
Chapter Eighteen (2) - Brave New World
Chapter Eighteen (3) - Cockblocker
Chapter Nineteen - Hunter Baby Steps
Chapter Twenty - Night in Oldbridge
Chapter Twenty-One - First Kill
Chapter Twenty-Two - Keep Adam in the Dark
Chapter Twenty-Three - To The Barn
Chapter Twenty-Four - Highway To Columbus
Chapter Twenty-Five - Freecore Tech
Chapter Twenty-Six - Metamorphic Code
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Pacific Coast
Chapter Twenty-Seven (p.2) - The Train Chase
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Time to Talk
Chapter Twenty-Nine - About The Hunters...
Wild, Wild Forest
1. Night Birds
2. Night Birds
Chapter Thirty - Sneak Out to The Party
Chapter Thirty-One - Exposure
Chapter Thirty-Two - Betrayal
Chapter Thirty-Three - PMSing
Chapter Thirty-Four - Miles' Side of The Story
Chapter Thirty-Five - Evolve System Dynamics
Chapter Thirty-Six - Behind The Glass
Chapter Thirty-Seven - Christmas Tree
Chapter Thirty-Eight - Making Amends with Luc
Chapter Thirty-Nine - A Drunken Luc
Chapter Forty - Truce
Chapter Forty-One - Riley and Miles
Forty-Two - Damage Control
Chapter Forty-Three - Covering Up The Incident
Chapter Forty-Four - Break Up
Chapter Forty-Five - In Preparation
Chapter 45.1 : The Spencers' House
Chapter 45.2 - Red Flags
Chapter Forty-Six - Partners in Crime
Chapter Forty-Seven - NIO
Chapter Forty-Eight - Pursuit Over The Bridge
Chapter Forty-Nine - Finally Home
Chapter Fifty - New Year's
Chapter Fifty-One - Loose Ends
Chapter Fifty-One (2) - The Cool Kids
Chapter Fifty-One (3) - Follow The Blood
Chapter Fifty-Two - Red Beacons
Chapter Fifty-Three - Warehouse
Chapter Fifty-Four - Ethan The Savior
Chapter Fifty-Five - Guess Who's Back
Epilogue
Onward, my dudes
Roots (Part One)
1. Twin Bond
2. Family Dinner
3. Hit It Like You Mean It
4. Group Chat
5. Moving In
6. Start of School
7. Past Issues and Present
8. Adaptation
9. Heart and Stomach
10. Road to Columbus
11. Warning
12. Oopsies
13. Rumor Has It
14. Stay
15. Hitch
16. Provin' Them Wrong
17. Coming Out (sort of)
18. Dreadful News
19. Reprimand
20. Halloween
21. Not Now, Not Ever
23. Ain't No Party Like A Mutant Party (part 2)
24. Ain't No Party Like A Mutant Party (p.3)
25. Aftermath
26. Aftermath (part 2)

22. Ain't No Party Like A Mutant Party

23 4 26
By NoppityNope666

"Are you sure about this?"

Emma looked at Lauren worriedly, fidgeting with the hem of her skirt. She'd only been to very few parties and it was with her family. She would play board games with her cousins and that was it. Lauren glanced over her vanity. She was curling a dark brown strand of hair around her curling iron. 

"I mean, if you really don't want to, it's fine. I get how uncomfortable it might be for you." She turned towards her friend. "I simply want to show them it's okay to be around you, that the world isn't going to collapse because you know about us." 

Lauren also hoped maybe some would see in Emma the cool person she was and drop their guard. It might also encourage the girl to pop out of her shell. 

"We're sticking together no matter what," she added with a lovely smile. "If someone gives you any trouble, I'll be sure to make them sorry. And by the way, you look so pretty!"

Emma wore a conservative but colourful ensemble for the party. It consisted of a flowy skirt, tights and a crop top. She accessorized with an adorable headband around her shiny hair that encircled her heart-shaped face and enhanced those warm eyes. 

"Thanks." She beamed and sat on Lauren's bed. "And you know what, I agree with you. It would be good to try and prove I'm not the spawn of Satan or whatever."

Lauren laid her curling iron down and waltzed to her wardrobe. She grabbed two hangers and showed both of them to Emma with a quizzical expression. 

Lauren waved a light pink, strappy skater dress. "Option number one. Cute and safe. I have some wedges to go with this. Or..." She waved a lacy black romper with straps at the shoulders and a V-neck. "Something a little more daring that'll go with strappy sandal heels in a burgundy colour."

"Hmmm..." Emma stroked her chin. "I don't think you can go wrong with either one but I'd probably take the romper. It's ironically safer in the way it's made. The back is exposed but not the nether area. You can always add a jacket to cover yourself more."

"Romper, it is! You're awesome." 

The redhead flipped her hair and made a funny voice. "Oh stop it, you!" 

After Lauren slipped on her outfit, they did each other's makeup in a fit of giggles. The person with the lipstick had complete control over what the other would look like tonight, and they couldn't complain or change it as per the determined rules. It was a fun way to surprise each other and the best part of getting ready. 

Lauren gave her small friend a light, glowy makeup to fit with her look and Emma played with a subtle, muted smokey eye. She kept the rest simple, bringing only attention to the eyes.

When they headed to the porch, Luc was in the driveway with Ben and Devin. He scowled at the sight of Emma. Lauren had to fight him through several arguing matches so he could accept her friend's presence at the party. She won in the end. 

When both girls joined the trio at the bottom of the staircase, an Audi pulled over. Raymond sauntered out and Emma recognized him as that famous senior on the football team. The King of high school, as people proclaimed him, as he had the world at his feet. 

Raymond immediately noticed her and threw a weird glance at Lauren. He'd been smiling before but not anymore. 

"She's coming and that's final," Lauren snapped before he spoke. 

Devin shook her head subtly and started towards Ben's BMW. "Well, I'm not riding with her." 

It disappointed Lauren to hear that from her other friend, but she couldn't do much about it now. Ben passed her a helpless look then a sympathetic one at Emma before hopping behind the wheel. Luc followed, closing the back door behind him. The twins weren't sixteen yet and weren't officially allowed to drive. The car reared out of the parking space and backed out on the gravel road.

Raymond stared at the BMW in disapproval, leaning rigidly against his vehicle. "I guess it'll be us in the car, then..." 

"Fine with me." Lauren smiled and silently encouraged Emma to follow her. "Coming?" 

When all three were settled, they left the cabin shortly after Ben. Raymond, though hesitant and uncomfortable, made an effort to talk with Emma and inquired about her life. He was stiff and his smile was brittle, but he managed to stay polite. 

"Are you going to work things out with that girl? I heard she'll be at the party," Lauren said. "This is, like, the millionth time you guys fight about something stupid."

"I don't know what to do. Amanda's so uptight but she's hot if you know what I mean." He winked and the girls made a disgusted sound. 

Lauren groaned. "I told you to win her over with chocolates and romance. Well, as much as you can manage. Just be honest when you see her."

"You're the best." He beamed.

She mocked a superior smirk. "I know."

While tailing the BMW out of town, Lauren and Raymond started bickering about the music in the car. Minutes later, they finally agreed on a piece and then, the funniest thing happened. They sang the lyrics at the top of their lungs. Lauren giggled and stared back at Emma, coaxing her to join them. 

"You know this song, come on!"

Raymond glanced in his rearview mirror. "We should disturb Ben's team--see which car can yell the loudest."

Lauren looked thrilled at that idea but continued to stare at her friend. 

"How about that?"

Emma cracked a grin. "Okay, fine! I'll play along..."

"Fuck yeah," Raymond approved with a wicked smirk. "I like her already." 

He rolled down all the windows including the sun roof. A violent current stirred the interior because of the speed they drove at. Raymond cranked the radio volume until the bass droned through his car and resonated through Emma's chest. They picked a well-known song with easy lyrics for the challenge. All three yelled the lyrics, catching the BMW's attention. 

The sun roof ahead slid open and Devin popped up. She flipped them off. 

Raymond exploded in laughter. Soon enough, their car was also thrumming with music and their windows rolled down with shouts coming from them. The kids in the Audi cupped their hands over their mouths, reaching a deafening level of decibels that disturbed the other drivers. The BMW responded, and the war carried out until they parked in front of a house at a dead end road in Oldbridge. The sun was setting. When Lauren got out, she linked her arm with Emma's and strutted in front of Ben and Luc. 

"Say what you want, but we did it better."

***

When the group entered the house, the place was packed with teenagers and young adults mutants. Lilah, the owner of the property, came to greet them and instantly looked distraught at Emma's presence. 

"You brought her here?" she hissed at Lauren. 

"It's not like she's going to pull a knife and stab us. She'd never do that." 

Lilah gauged the redhead. "Maybe not yet." 

Lauren shot her a glare. "She's my guest and you'll have to deal with it. You'll know that she's a lot more fun than most of the people gathered here." 

"You let her do this stuff?" Lilah asked, staring at Luc. 

He raised his arms in a defensive gesture as if telling her not to drag him into all this. 

"Hey, next time, try convincing her for me if you think you can do it. I'd love to see you try." 

The discussion made Emma uncomfortable and unwelcome. She shifted nervously behind the group, trying to subtract herself from Lilah's view, but her incendiary eyes always noticed her movements like a cat following a mouse. She cleared her throat. 

"I'm sorry for barging in like this..." she apologized in a thin voice. "I-I didn't think it would have bothered people this much and I don't mean to offend anyone. Maybe it's better if I leave." 

Lauren caught her arm. She didn't want to be here without Emma. "Please..." 

"Look, she doesn't want me here and it's her house. I have to respect that. I wouldn't like seeing uninvited people at my place, either." 

Lauren glanced at the door. "Then I'll come with you. Whatever, this party's not important." 

"Someone has to drive you," Luc pointed out. "That makes one more person that needs to leave just to get Emma home."

"I can take the keys and ride home without the cops seeing me. Besides, I was supposed to be the designated driver for Raymond. He said he didn't intend to come alive out of this one, so..."

Lilah listened grudgingly to the whole thing and watched the human's head lower in embarrassment. And everyone was trying to organize themselves for this tiny, fragile thing. Lilah let out a resentful tsk and backed away from the hall. 

"Fine, she can stay." Her hostile, caustic gaze met with Emma's. "Don't stir trouble or get in people's way, you hear me? I won't be as nice if anything happens and I'll personally hold you accountable." 

Lauren's eyes flared in anger to see her treat Emma that way. She prepared to set matters straight when a hand settled on her shoulder and squeezed, warning her to cool down. 

"Right now, this is the best Lilah can do," Raymond whispered in her ear. "Let it be and take the win."

He was right. She'd managed to get Lilah to leave Emma alone, and for now, it was as much as she could hope for. Lauren exhaled and grabbed Emma's hand, proud of her little victory. She dragged her towards the snacks, delving into the compact mass of people. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14K 2.8K 32
✪ 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐲𝐬 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 ✪ ★ 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐲𝐬 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 𝐁𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐂𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 ★ ☆ 𝐅𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞𝐝 @𝐒𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢�...
249K 6.4K 31
Riley Smith is about as troubled as they come, he's anorexic but in denial about it and fights a lot. What happens when his parents kick him out then...
3.4K 619 51
A dystopian young adult novel involving romance, secret experiments on human subjects, and a group of teenagers' will to survive. Reader Comments: "...
597 65 26
Paranoia... has become my constant companion. Ahh... Danny, what've you gotten yourself into? Thought I was doing something... thought I was gonna g...