The Northern Dragon

By ErzaTitania1

After the war, Rhaenys Targaryen was saved by Eddard Stark and taken to Winterfell, where she lived for the n... More

CAST
CH 1: NORTHERN DRAGON
CH 2: THE KINGSROAD
CH 3: THE ONE TRUE QUEEN
CH 4: WOLF VS LION VS DRAGON
CH 5: FIRE CANNOT KILL A DRAGON
CH 6: YOU WIN OR YOU DIE
CH 7: ZALDRIZES BUZDARI IKSOS DAOR
CH 9: 278 A.C.
CH 10: FIRE AND BLOOD
CH 11: REBORN
CH 12: THE HIGHTOWER
CH 13: HOUSE VELARYON
CH 14: I CAN. SO I WILL
CH 15: DORNE
CH 16: FIRE IS POWER
CH 17: YOU MUST CHOOSE
CH 18: WHATEVER IT TAKES
CH 19: BRIGHT SUN
CH 20: BATTLE OF BLACKWATER BAY
CH 21: 280 - 281 A.C.
CH 22: OLD VALYRIA
CH 23: TWO HEADS
CH 24: WARGS AND MAGIC
CH 25: THE WALK OF PUNISHMENT
CH 26: DRACARYS (PART 1)
CH 27: DRACARYS (PART 2)
CH 28: MISTRUST (PART 1)
CH 29: MISTRUST (PART 2)
CH 30: THE CLIMB
CH 31: YUNKAI, THE YELLOW CITY (PART 1)
CH 32: YUNKAI, THE YELLOW CITY (PART 2)
CH 33: THE SECOND SONS (PART 1)
CH 34: THE SECOND SONS (PART 2)
CH 35: THE RAINS OF CASTAMERE (1/3)
CH 36: THE RAINS OF CASTAMERE (2/3)
CH 37: THE RAINS OF CASTAMERE (3/3)
CH 38: 282-285 A.C.
CH 39: MHYSA (1/2)
CH 40: MHYSA (2/2)
CH 41: SLAY THE MASTERS (1/2)
CH 42: SLAY THE MASTERS (2/2)

CH 8: I KEPT MY PROMISE

4K 130 2
By ErzaTitania1

Cold wind blew around her silver curls and nightgown as she stood inside a dark tunnel, her amethysts orbs trailing around, not able to see a thing in the darkness.

Rhaenys moved her body around in confusion, her bare feet feeling the freezing snow below them, but at the same time, she could not feel it. The fire in her veins keeping her warm.

Suddenly, a wooden gate opened before her and Rhaenys stepped forward into the light, only seeing more snow and a forest as far as the eye could see.

Feeling the looming structure behind her, the dragon turned around, a gasp escaping her lips as her eyes fell on the enormous wall of ice.

"The Wall...? Why...?"

She stepped backward, her eyes locked on the Wall in awe. Not able to believe that such a thing was created by humans centuries before her time.

Hearing a strange noise from within the forest, Rhaenys turned back with furrowed brows and walked in its direction cautiously.

Her frown became bigger as buildings began appearing around her the further she went in, the snow and trees completely gone now. Only streets and houses left.

Rhaenys kept going into the city, feeling as if she had seen these buildings before.

Then a huge crowd came in her sight, all of them cheering at what they were watching in front of them. Confusion filling her, the silver-haired woman looked up.

Her eyes first fell on the statue of Baelor in the center of the crowd, seeing a figure hiding behind its legs. Then they fell on the stage that everyone was looking at.

In there stood Cersei, Sansa, Joffrey, Michael, and all the Masters of the Small Council, and strangely enough, she could see herself standing beside them with Sandor Clegane behind her.

And right in front of them was Ned kneeling on the ground.

All the voices began to muffle and everything became silent, Rhaenys began staring around her as she could not hear a thing at all, as if all the sounds were completely gone.

Except for one.

A sound that made her look back at the stage and her orbs widen.

The single sound of the swing of a blade cutting through flesh.

"No!"

She sat up on her bed panting, her whole body sweating and her hands tightening around the covers. Her snowy curls fell over her shoulders, sticking to her sweaty face.

"Not again... Why do I keep having these dreams...?"

The door to Sansa's chambers was opened by a Lannister soldier, making the redhead stand up in surprise, only for her tully pools to widen as Rhaenys walked inside.

A sigh of relief came from the former princess as she saw the innocent wolf safe and sound after all these days without being able to see the girl at all.

Without saying a word, the soldier shut the door close and immediately both girls sprinted to each other and embraced tightly, tears falling down their eyes.

At that moment, they forgot the insecurities or anger they felt for the other after the events in the Kingsroad. They left everything behind and just basked in the moment.

Rhaenys stroked the girl's fiery locks, listening to her quiet sobs, "I'm so glad you're alright. So glad."

"I'm so sorry, Rhaenys. I'm so sorry."

Apologies kept escaping Sansa as her tears continued to fall, the Targaryen pulling her away and brushing the tears off, "It's alright. Forget about that."

Nodding her head rapidly, the Stark rubbed all her tears off and smiled at the dragon, "Yes, everything is going to be fine now. There is nothing to fear."

Narrowing her lilac orbs in confusion, Rhaenys held her shoulders, "What did you do?"

"I didn't have to. His Grace has promised to grant Father mercy. He will be sent to the Night's Watch, but he'll be safe." kept smiling the wolf.

Taking a deep breath, the white-haired woman asked the question she dreaded since hearing what the girl said, "In exchange for what?"

Not getting what her father's ward was getting at, Sansa replied simply, "He just has to confess his crimes. If he confesses what he has done, then everything will be fine."

"If he confesses?" Rhaenys squeezed her lips, breathing shakenly.

Seeing the woman's reaction, the innocent wolf tilted her head, "What's wrong, Rhaenys?"

Not wanting to worry her, the albino simply shook her head and covered up her true feelings as she forced a smile, "Nothing, nothing at all. I just hope it all works out."

She wrapped her arms around the redhead once again and they stayed in each other's arms just like that without moving for a while. Sansa never noting what kind of effect her words truly had on the princess.

The most honorable man in the kingdoms was going to confess to committing treason in front of the whole capital. Treason against a boy that had no claim to the throne he was sitting on.

He was going to lie in front of the people and the Gods.

He was going to proclaim Joffrey as the one true King.

Rhaenys never prayed to the Gods before, but it did not mean that she didn't believe in their existence. And from what she had seen, they do not like liars.

"When does Aemon think you'll be able to use that hand?" asked the Lord Commander the moment he walked through the door to his office, Jon standing by the side, "Soon, he says."

"Good." he walked to the fireplace and grabbed his sword, the head of a white wolf on the handle, "You'll be ready for this then." Mormont walked closer to the boy and offered him the weapon, "I thought a wolf was more appropriate for you than a bear... So I had a new pommel made. It's called Longclaw. Works as well for a wolf as a bear, I think."

Snow grabbed the weapon hastily with furrowed brows, inspecting the blade before looking back up at the man in confusion, "This is Valyrian steel."

The Mormont nodded, hands behind his back, "It was my father's sword, his father's before him. The Mormonts have carried it for five centuries. It was meant for my son Jorah. He brought dishonor to our House, but he had the grace to leave the sword before he fled from Westeros."

"My Lord, you honor me, but I can't-"

"Oh, you can and you will." interrupted the commander, "I wouldn't be standing here if it wasn't for you and your beast. A bloody dead man tried to kill me... So you'll take it. I'll hear no more about it. Is that understood?"

"Yes, My Lord." muttered Jon, the older man nodding, taking a drink and sitting at his desk, "Right. Now don't think this means I approve of this nonsense with you and Alliser Thorne. That's a man's sword, it'll take a man to wield it."

The bastard looked down before speaking, "I'll apologize to Ser Alliser tonight."

"No, you won't." rejected Mormont, "I sent him to King's Landing yesterday. The hand that your wolf tore off that thing's wrist... I've ordered Thorne to lay it at the feet of this... boy king. That should get young Joffrey's attention. And it puts a thousand leagues between you and Thorne. Now go and put your sword somewhere safe and bring me my supper."

Jon tried to contain a smile at his words and nodded, "Yes, My Lord."

The white wolf walked down Castle Black with a beam on his face, receiving pats in the back from the other men as they congratulate him, telling him he deserved the sword.

Once he entered the kitchens, all the other rookies were waiting there for him, chanting for the male to let them have a look at the blade.

They all laughed once he unsheathed it and gave it to them. The boys ran off with the sword in hand, laughing heartedly as they played around with it.

Chuckling at them, Jon walked to Sam's side. The Tarly having been seated with his head downcast this whole time, something that didn't go unnoticed by the wolf, "What is it?"

Sam went to speak, stuttering over his words before looking back down at the table, "I can't."

"You can't what?" wondered Snow, his friend babbling once again, "I-I'm really not supposed to say."

"And yet you really want to say." stated Jon, "You want to say that...?"

The highborn swallowed deeply and turned to his friend, his whole body sweating at what he was about to tell him, "There was a raven. I read the message to Maester Aemon. It's your brother Robb."

Jon's eyes hardened at that, locking with Sam's, "What? What about him?"

"He's heading south. To war."

Jon began breathing rapidly, Sam trying to reassure him, "All his bannermen have rallied to his side. They'll keep him safe."

"I should be there." he breathed out, "I should be with him."

The former princess paced all over her chambers, her hand running through her silver locks as the two highborn men who swore allegiance to her sat in the room watching her.

"You know, if you keep pacing like that you're going to make a hole on the floor." Ron raised a brow.

Finally having enough, the lion grabbed her shoulders and locked his sapphire orbs with her amethyst ones, "What is it? You were with Sansa. What happened?"

"Lord Eddard is going to confess to treason. He never committed treason but now he is going to confess to it." she stepped back and sat down, "He would be making a huge mistake."

"Probably. But you can't ask him to think of himself before you and Sansa. If lying is going to keep you both safe, he is going to do it." said Michael.

A frown etched on her face, knowing he was right, "If only that would actually keep us safe..."

"This treason they are accusing him of... it was because of him walking into the throne room with his men, was it not?" the Baratheon leaned on his knees and stared directly at her, "What did Lord Stark discover that would make him do something like that?"

Rhaenys pursed her lips at his question, the Lannister turning back to her at her silence, "Rhaenys? What was it that Uncle discovered? You know what it was, don't you?"

Letting out a sigh, Ron rubbed his forehead, "You might as well tell us now. Lord Stark sent Stannis a letter. I take it it was informing him of Robert's decision and asking for his support. And it should have whatever was it that Jon Arryn and he found."

"It's not anything you both shouldn't have already suspected." she muttered, looking up at them, "Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen... are the children of Cersei and Jaime Lannister. None of them have any claim to the throne. They never did. Robert Baratheon had no heir."

At the Night's Watch, Jon was called by Maester Aemon to help him feed the crows. Something the boy wasn't too happy about, less so after the news he had heard.

The bastard looked down at the rotten meat in disgust when suddenly the Maester just asked, "Tell me, did you ever wonder why the men of the Night's Watch take no wives and father no children?"

"No." he replied grimly, taking the bowl with the meat and beginning to feed the crows.

Not caring for his tone, Aemon replied lowly, "So they will not love. Love is the death of duty. If the day should ever come when your lord father was forced to choose between honor on the one hand and those he loves on the other, what would he do?"

Jon hesitated for a moment, before replying firmly, "He would do whatever was right. No matter what."

"Then Lord Stark is one man in 10,000. Most of us are not so strong. What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms ... or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy."

"Sam told you." Jon realized.

The blind man stepped closer to him, words not filled with anger for him wanting to leave, but understanding, "We're all human. Oh, we all do our duty when there's no cost to it. Honor comes easy then. Yet sooner or later in every man's life there comes a day when it is not easy, a day when he must choose."

But more than anything else, fury was filling the white wolf as he understood that more than anyone, "And this is my day? Is that what you're saying?"

He understood sacrificing love for duty more than he would admit.

Since the moment he heard about his father treason, he has wanted more than anything to run to King's Landing. To save his family and to save her.

His heart felt as if it would break into pieces at not knowing if she was safe. He didn't want to lose her even if they could never be together now.

He still did not want for her to die while he rotted away so far away from her and without doing a thing.

"Oh, it hurts, boy. Oh, yes. I know." muttered the man, Jon spatting back, "You do not know! No one knows." he walked away, then turned back to the Maester, "I may be a bastard, but he is my father and Robb is my brother."

Aemon chuckled at his words, turning back to the boy, "The Gods were cruel when they saw fit to test my vows. They waited until I was old. What could I do when the ravens brought the news from the South... the ruins of my House, the death of my family? I was helpless, blind, frail. But when I heard they had killed my brother's son, and his poor son... and the children! Even the little children."

Jon's dark pools widened at this, puzzlement filling him, "Who are you?"

His old body shook as he began speaking, his blind eyes turned to the sky, "My father was Maekar, the First of His Name. My brother Aegon reigned after him when I had refused the throne. And he was followed by his son Aerys, whom they called the Mad King."

"You're Aemon Targaryen... You're Rhaenys's great-great uncle." muttered the Snow.

"I'm a Maester of the Citadel, bound in service to Castle Black and the Night's Watch." stated the older man and stepped closer to the teen, "I will not tell you to stay or go. You must make that choice yourself, and live with it for the rest of your days."

Aemon grabbed the boy's shoulders and pursed his lips, then walked away saddened, "As I have."

The Lannister camp was bustling around like usual, the highlords sitting around a table in the main tent, food served for them while they spoke.

"Our scouts tell us the Stark host has moved south from the Twins with Lord Frey's levies in tow. They're a day's march north." informed Kevan, Tywin's brother.

"The boy may lack experience and sense, but he does have a certain mindless provincial courage." said the old lion, glaring at his second son who had just arrived.

Noticing them stop, Tyrion glanced at them as some wine was served for him, "Oh, do continue. Didn't mean to interrupt."

"I do hope your savages are going to be of some use, otherwise we've wasted good steel on them." ridiculed Tywin, the Tully chuckling in remembrance, "The great hairy one, he kept insisting that he must have two battleaxes; heavy black steel, double-sided."

"Shagga likes axes." said the Imp.

"When the battle commences, you and your Wildlings will be in the vanguard." stated the Warden of the West, shocking his son, "The vanguard?" seeing him nod, Tyrion asked again, hoping to be mistaken, "Me and the tribesmen on the front line?"

"They do seem rather ferocious." pointed Kevan, looking away and continuing to eat the moment his nephew sent him a glare.

Letting out a sigh, the small blonde turned back to his father and spat sarcastically, "Ferocious? Last night a Moon Brother stabbed a Stone Crow over a sausage. Three Stone Crows seized the Moon Brother and opened his throat. Bronn managed to keep Shagga from chopping off the dead man's cock, which was fortunate, but even still Ulf is demanding blood money, which Shagga and Gunthor refuse to pay."

Tired of his blabbering, Tywin interrupted, "When soldiers lack discipline, the fault lies with their commander."

"Surely there are ways to have me killed that would be less detrimental to the war effort." fired back Tyrion, his father leaning back in his chair and taking a drink, "There'll be no more discussion on the matter."

"It appears I'm not hungry after all. Excuse me, My Lords." he threw his bread on the plate and placed his drink down, walking away.

"That was a little too harsh." uttered Diana.

Letting out a sigh, the old lion turned to her, "The letter, have you sent it yet?"

"Not yet. Why?" she took in a drink and gulped down the wine, the Lannister nodding in confirmation, "Hold onto it for a while. I want to send it with someone whom I'm sure it's not a backstabbing spy."

The days went by more quickly than Rhaenys would have expected, mostly so after she had been informed that Lord Eddard was going to confess in the Baelor soon.

Worst of all, she had to be there for some reason. Watch as the man she loved like a father told the capital that he had betrayed them to gain power for himself.

Noting her distracted self, the septa walked closer to the former princess and touched her shoulder, "Is there something on your mind? You've been distracted since you arrived."

Finally coming back to the present, Rhaenys stared around her at the kitchen the Baelor had in Flea Bottom. The same place she had been going to since her arrival at the capital.

"No, I'm just worried for Lord Eddard..." she muttered, the septa frowning worriedly, "Committing treason is a grave crime. Most people in the city want to see him dead now."

"They don't want to see him dead. They just want to see blood run. Blood that is not theirs." said the dragon.

Letting out a sigh, the septa crouched down beside her, "I suppose. The only thing you can really do is listen to his words and follow what he has taught you. I mean, he can't have been that bad if you care this deeply for him."

"Listen to his words and follow what he has taught me...?" Rhae trailed off.

She has always tried to be who Eddard Stark had brought up.

Someone with honor and noble, someone who put everyone else before her.

She had caged the dragon inside her as hard as she could and only allowed the wolf to come out. Although, the fire in her was powerful and it had burned strongly a couple of times before.

However, even if she was not ashamed of her blood, Rhaenys tried to contain it.

And yet... if she was to truly follow everything he had taught her, she could not do that anymore.

"You have to survive no matter what, Rhaenys. You hear me. You have to survive. As long as you are alive there is still hope for the realm."

"Remember what I said. And don't you ever forget who you are. You are a dragon raised by wolves. You are both a Southerner and a Northerner. A Targaryen and a Stark. Don't you ever forget that."

Those were the same words that Rhaegar, her father, had left for her.

For her to become the dragon she was always meant to be.

To become the true Queen of the Seven Kingdoms.

To become Rhaenys of House Targaryen.

White ravens flew over the Great Sept of Baelor as people filled the place. They were all cheering and jeering, looking forward to what was to come.

The moment the Lord Eddard Stark was brought into the open area, the cries of the people became even louder, throwing insults at the man as he was pushed by two soldiers through the crowd.

His auburn pools trailed everywhere, his face covered in dirt and scraps from his many nights in the dungeons.

However, his eyes widened the moment they fell on the statue of Baelor and he saw his youngest daughter on top of it. In desperation, he grabbed Yoren when he got to his side and pleaded him to look at the statue.

Getting the message, the Night's Watchman glanced at the statue and saw the girl, recognizing her immediately from that time in the Lord's office.

The soldiers dragged the highborn away, taking him to stage made of rocks.

On top of it, stood Sansa, Cersei, and Joffrey in a line, all nicely dressed. Varys, Baelish, and Pycelle standing in the lower part of the stage. A couple of Kingsguard behind them all.

Letting out a sigh, Michael walked up and went to Sansa's side, rubbing her back reassuringly.

Then walked up the Hound, a more than angry Rhaenys on tow, "Why do I have to be here?"

"The Queen's orders. Stop trying to do things to piss her off, girl. Do you want to die that badly?" growled Sandor lowly, grabbing her arms and placing her beside the others.

Her amethyst pools searched for the old wolf, worriedly staring at his weak form as he was taken in between the raging people. Each one of them pushing at him and cursing him.

"Traitor!"

"Coward!"

As he went up the steps, Lord Stark glanced up at the girls. Sansa smiling reassuringly at him and nodding. Rhaenys just staring at him sadly in concern.

Ned was shoved into the stage and placed on the platform below the two royals and his daughter. The crowd quieted down as the man was placed facing them and the guards moved away.

"I am Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Hand of the King." he turned his head to Sansa who nodded at him gently and he went on, "I come before you to confess my treason in the sight of Gods and men. I betrayed the faith of my King and the trust of my friend Robert. I swore to protect and defend his children, but before his blood was cold I plotted to murder his son... and seize the throne for myself."

"Traitor!"

"Traitor!"

The clamoring began once again and someone threw a rock at him, hitting Ned over the head and making him fall back. A Kingsguard putting him back in place.

Sansa gasped and Rhae went to move to his side, only for Sandor to hold her back, "I told you to not do anything stupid." From the statue of Baelor, Arya who was crouching on it grabbed the hilt of her sword instantly, readying herself to fight if needed.

Ned went on as if nothing had happened, Joffrey grinning at his mother who returned it just as happy that the lord was complying, "Let the High Septon and Baelor the Blessed bear witness to what I say: Joffrey Baratheon is the one true heir to the Iron Throne, by the grace of all the Gods, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm."

The people began yelling once again, making the innocent wolf gulp down her saliva in fright and concern for her poor father, Arya shaking her head in disbelief.

Rhaenys's eyes finally fell on the wild wolf by the statue and she let out a shaky breath. Her lilac pools trailed all over the scene, the people around.

The voices seemed to disappear as her eyes widened with every second that passed, everything turning hazy around her, "This isn't right..."

Pycelle stepped to Ned's side, the lord lowering his head and the Maester began speaking, silencing the people, "As we sin, so do we suffer. This man has confessed his crimes in sight of Gods and men. The Gods are just, but beloved Baelor taught us they can also be merciful." the Maester turned to the King, "What is to be done with this traitor, Your Grace?"

The crowd began jeering again, calling for blood, which is what most of them had come to see to begin with. Joffrey smirked at this, putting his arm up to silence them.

"My mother wishes me to let Lord Eddard join the Night's Watch. Stripped of all titles and powers, he would serve the realm in permanent exile. And my Lady Sansa has begged mercy for her father."

Joffrey turned his head to the girl and she smiled at him gently with a small blush on her cheeks. The boy returned the smile, then puckered his lips together and turned back to the crowd.

Rhaenys stared farther away from the crowd, feeling as if she was staring right at herself.

Just like in her dream.

Everything that was happening was just like in her dream.

With that thought in mind, her feet moved forward on their own, but Sandor wrapped his arms around her waists and held her back, muttering so only she could hear, "What are you doing, girl?"

"He is going to kill him..." she began struggling, at first weakly as if in a daze but then she began to truly fight back, "He is going to kill him."

On cue, the King began speaking once again to the crowd, his words wiping the smiles off of everyone on the stage.

"But they have the soft hearts of women. So long as I am your King, treason shall never go unpunished. Ser Ilyn... bring me his head!"

"No! Stop!"

The crowd began to cheer and immediately, Cersei grabbed his arm and told him to stop, Sansa trying to run to his side with tears falling from her eyes as she cried out, her cousin straight away hugging her against his chest, "Cersei, stop your son. He can't die."

"Don't you think I know that." growled the woman under her breath in anger.

"Let go! No!" Rhae's struggled even harder, Sandor holding her back as strongly as he could, knowing that she would just be killed if she got in the way of the King.

Ned whipped his head back at the boy, his eyes falling on his daughters as they kept struggling.

"No! Daddy! Michael, let me go!" cried out the innocent wolf, the noble lion biting his lips as his eyes locked with his uncle and they held a silent conversation, "I can't."

Arya watched the cheering people in apprehension and got off the statue, running through the many bodies to try to get to her father.

Cersei shook her son's arm once again, whispering lowly to him, "My son, this is madness." Varys joining by her side on trying to change his decision but to no avail as an insane smirk covered his face.

"Put him down!" a man ordered and two soldiers grabbed the distracted highborn by his shoulders and pushed him to his knees against the rocky stage.

Watching Ser Ilyn cover his head with a black mask and unsheathe a large sword, the girls' cries became louder as they kept struggling but their strength wasn't enough against them.

"Daddy! Stop! No! NO!"

"Traitor!"

"Please, stop it!"

The voices mixed together but their cries went unheard as they were swallowed by the cheers which made Joffrey's lips curl even more.

Arya was stopped from her running by Yoren after he had finally found her in the huge crowd. He grabbed the girl and hugged her against his chest to stop her from seeing what was to come.

"Stop him, stop!"

Ned glanced at the crying girls who did not stop fighting. Then his eyes went down to the crowd that called for his head and his breathing became ragged. His body numbed and the sounds became distorted.

This was not the way Eddard Stark expected to go.

He was always honest and honorable. Did nothing wrong in his life and yet, here he was, going to be executed in front of his daughters by a boy king who had no claim to his friend's throne. While the people he had fought to protect called for his death.

But at that moment, he couldn't have been more at peace as he muttered his last words.

"I kept my promise."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

208K 6.5K 93
When the snows fall and the white winds blow; the lone wolf dies but the pack survives. Aris Stark, eldest daughter of Eddard and Catelyn Stark is t...
23.6K 585 9
A fan of the show finds himself waking up in the body of Aegon the Second. With just one day before King Viserys's death, can the new Aegon save the...
26.7K 505 27
"The only thing that could tear down the House Of The Dragon, is itself." In which Aeryn Targaryen returns home after the death of his mother. It's b...
32.4K 1.2K 11
Rhaegar Targaryen is the eldest surviving son of Viserys Targaryen and Aemma Arryn. Born in 94 AC with memories of a future yet to come Rhegar must g...