Flowing Promises (Under Revis...

By Innocence51

Korosensei made a promise to Aguri Yukimura to look after her little sister since she'll be alone. But when h... More

Author Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10 - Part 1
Chapter 10 - Part 2
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29.1
Chapter 29.2
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 36.5
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 60.5
Epilogue
Acknowledgement

Chapter 31

2.2K 39 62
By Innocence51

The Secret's Revealed

---

Karma's POV

A few hours have passed after our little class reunion, and now, we're all taking lunch in the same restaurant. Basically, we just reserved the whole place, so we don't have to worry about running out of tables. There are a lot of us, after all.

Me, Nagisa, Kayano, Sugino, Kanzaki, and Okuda shared a table together while the others have theirs. Bringing the whole group in one again feels nostalgic while I remember the old times we talked and laughed with each other altogether. But, the mere fact that a lot of years have already passed by made my mindset back to the present and we eventually started taking our lunch.

It was noisy in the restaurant due to the others bragging about different things. But I think this is normal during class reunions, so I have to bear with this noise as much as I can handle.

Time Skip >>>

"Karma? Can I ask you a favor?" After our lunch break ended and we were all going back to our own homes, Nagisa suddenly approached me on the way outside.

I stopped halfway and turn to look at him wearing that pleading face. What is it this time?

"I have an important matter I need to attend to, so could you please bring Kayano with you on the way home?" Nagisa said.

Now that he mentioned it, I did hear that Mr. Karasuma and Mrs. Irina went on a different restaurant and that they asked Nagisa to be their bodyguard for the afternoon. I don't exactly know why they needed a bodyguard despite them being pros, but with all that happened the other night, I think it's simply the best option.

Also, I think he's asking me this for Kayano's sake, so I guess I have no choice but to oblige.

"Yeah, sure." I answered simply.

"Thanks, Karma. Also I'm sorry. Later!" Nagisa hurried toward a waiting cab by the street and waved his hand at me as he ran and left.

Oh man. I wonder why they chose Nagisa as they bodyguard, not me. If it was me, both of them might have another chance of being alone again. Why is fate setting us aside?

"Karma?" While I was out spacing out at the spot where Nagisa left awhile ago, I heard Kayano calling my name right next to me.

"Oh hey, Kayano-chan." I greeted her once I turned my head to look at her.

"What were you and Nagisa talking about?"

Ah, so she saw that?

"Nothing special. Only that the prince charming himself asked me a favor to deliver his princess back home to her kingdom." I made up that phrase on my own. Cool, isn't it?

"Oh.. well, um.. did he mean, me?" Kayano wasn't sure what to think so she asked that question in a shy manner.

"Yup. Well then, let's go pudding princess." I started walking towards my parked car.

"W-Who are you calling pudding princess?!"

———————————————————

A few minutes have gone by and Kayano and I were silent as ever while I drove her to her apartment. However, when I happened to glance at her through the back mirror, I saw her face being depressed for some reason. I got a little worried since this was the second time I saw her like this, so I went to ask her while I focused on the road.

"Kayano-chan, is there a problem?"

"Huh?! Ah! No, there isn't!" Kayano-chan was taken by surprise.

Although she denied it, I decided to go with the flow and see if she'll give in.

"Is that so?"

.

.

.

"It's just..." 

Just as I thought.

"It's just?" I rephrased what she muttered.

I couldn't see her making a depressed expression on her face since I was still focused on the road, but I assumed that she was and gazed below her feet, conflicted by her thoughts and feelings.

"Karma, please pull over!" However, while were crossing a roadside on a plateau that was in the middle of a cliff and the shore, Kayano-chan blurted this out of the blue.

"Why?" I asked her.

"I need some fresh air."

I listened to her and stopped the car halfway and parked it near the road fence. The moment I turned off the engine, Kayano immediately exits the car and walks toward the fence while I followed her afterwards.

It was 3 o'clock in the afternoon so the sun was still high at its peak. The radiant shining rays was like a scorching heat but with the cold breeze from the nearby sea, it was possible for us to get fresh air.

I watched Kayano as she let her black hair loose being blown away by the ocean breeze and her eyes closed facing the sea. I waited for her to start talking, and eventually, my patience paid off.

"Karma... can I tell you something?" Kayano softly said while feeling the fresh air passing through her.

"Yeah? What's on your mind?" I asked her while I had my back leaned by my car and my hands hidden on my pockets.

"A lot of things have happened, right? And despite all that, we still got the chance to see each other again. I meant everyone, okay?" Kayano corrected herself. However, she continued.

"But, say if it was you. If you have a deepest secret that you've been keeping from everyone, and that secret is something that involves your current being, will you still have the courage to tell everyone about it?" She asked, fright and anxiety in her eyes and voice.

Her question was sudden, but it seems she's asking for my opinion. I can quite understand where she's going with this, but the information is still shallow. To find out more about it, I decided to answer her question with my own knowledge of the situation.

Okay then, let's see... 

"I think telling the truth is still the best option despite the secret putting your being into danger. I mean, if you keep that secret even more, wouldn't that be more worse having everyone find out about it later than sooner?" I wasn't sure about this answer, but I did my best saying that though.

"If you keep that secret, wouldn't that hurt you even more because you're the only person feeling a little bit off bothered by that secret?" I continued.

Switch to Kayano's POV

"I guess you're right."

I asked that question and I knew the answer all along, but hearing it from Karma makes it the more awful. It does hurt, but if I plan in getting this secret off from my chest, if I tell Karma about this, will he be able to forgive me?

Nevertheless, he is right. It'll be pointless if I hide the secret even more. So this time, I have decided to tell him. Although, I feel terrible for not telling this directly to Nagisa. It's just...too hard.

"Actually, I do have a secret that's been bothering me lately, so I'm afraid I have no choice but to reveal this to you." 

Here it comes. To prepare, I took a deep breath and finally said it loud.

"I'm engaged."

Switch Back to Karma's POV

I was a little confused until it gradually turned into  mortify. It's like a lightning just struck my head and paralyzed me for a few seconds. Thankfully it wasn't severe. I was just super shocked, that's all.

"Seriously?? You and Nagisa are already engaged?"

"Ehh? N-No! I-It's not Nagisa!"

"Huh?"

Wait, what? My confusion just rose to a new level. Tell me this isn't what it's going to be. If it's not Nagisa, then, who is Kayano engaged to?

"It happened a few months ago, the day when my agency couldn't afford enough finances to continue my career. I couldn't do anything about that since I didn't know any other agencies yet. But then, Klein approached me, telling me he'll help me on continuing my career, but only if I agree about engagement." Kayano started explaining the whole details about this sudden problem. However, things didn't end there as Kayano kept on rolling the topic.

"We've been engaged for 6 months now. But, when the day I met Nagisa again, I felt like I can just forget about that engagement and spend most of my time with him. However, it wasn't that easy. If I tell Klein that I don't want to marry him, he'll cut off my career, and it'll be the end of my work. My dream." Kayano was starting to tear up. Although, she held herself down and continued explaining me the last details.

She said that they'll get married in the first week of January in the next year. Today is October, so that means it's 3 months away. No matter how you look at it, it is awfully close by.

But that's not what I'm worrying about right now. I tried to regain my composure and looked at Kayano with a straight face to ask.

"What about Nagisa?"

"He doesn't know about this yet." Kayano averted her gaze from me, probably feeling guilty about this.

"But are you sure? You already know that the more you'll keep this a secret, the more—"

"The more I'll get hurt in the end, I know!" Kayano cut me off with a yell. I was taken aback, but my condition doesn't matter right now.

"It's just that..." After she mutters this, I realized that she was about to cry. Eventually, a few tears did escape from her eyes and her voice was disturbed by her sobs. However, she held those burden and continued.

"I don't want Nagisa to hate me. If I tell him directly, I don't know how I'll face him if he makes that face. I don't even know how he'll react. I'm scared." Kayano said this with a sobbing voice. Her shoulders starts to tremble as she covers her mouth to resist herself breaking into tears.

Seeing her like this somehow made me feel down for her. Of course, her face was turned away but I can clearly see what face she's making right now.

I completely understand now. It's a force engagement, and Kayano simply doesn't want that yet. She just wanted to continue being an actor, and this 'Klein' took that opportunity to get engaged with her.

I know how that feels. Back in the days, a lot of top ranked CEOs of the world's most successful companies recommended that I marry their daughters. There were a few that suited my taste. However, I swore to myself that I'll never betray my feelings for Okuda. And that was the reason why I got demoted to a low-life company that produces junk games and forced myself to live that kind of life.

Although, Kayano's different from me. Unlike me, she loves her job since it was her dream. That's why she did it because she didn't want to lose it.

But, somehow, somewhere from my head is still telling me that this feels wrong. Love knows no boundaries. If she wants to be with Nagisa...

What could be the most possible thing to do?

"You're doing this for Nagisa's sake too, aren't you?"

"?!" Kayano was surprised by my response and slowly turns to look at me with a face that looks like a mess.

Taking that reaction as a hit on the nail on the head, I continued.

"I know how you feel. It's just how the way it is. Love can be cruel, but it's also something that gives you strength to keep moving forward." Then I still continued.

"I knew from the very start that you had your eyes on Nagisa, but you simply set that aside so that the two of you can achieve your dreams. However, it doesn't end there. It can be called unfair, but, knowing the fact that one achieved it and the other one was losing it, that's the truth." And, I paused. I looked down below the cliff and gazed at the tides in the shore as I thought about the decision that's going to change our lives forever.

And then finally, I came out with it.

"I'll help you out with it. I'll hide your secret, only if you promise me Kayano. Tell Nagisa about this when you think the time is right. It's cruel to think that both of us are hiding this from him. Until then, I'll find a way to break your engagement without putting your job in jeopardy." I tried to act cool but I failed. Although as a friend, I do want to help Kayano with her problem, so I guess its even.

"Thank you, Karma. Yeah. I'll tell him someday." Kayano smiled and started to wipe her tears as she said this.

"Come on. We already got what we came for. Let's get you home."

"Okay."

———————————————————

The long way took a lot of time and we reached Kayano's apartment by dusk. The skies are already turning yellowish orange and then turns dark. Just how fast do you think time is.

I stopped the car by the side way and let Kayano head off. Meanwhile, as soon as she got out, she was staring at me deliberately. If I have to guess, it means she must be worried about the secret being leaked. Damn, this is just bothersome.

"What is it, Kayano-chan?" I opened the window by my right and asked her.

However, she didn't say anything. She was still looking depressed just like a moment ago. It turns out I was wrong. She must be worried for the secret not to be leaked. But we both remember the promise. If we put that in mind, then all things are considered.

"Don't worry. Nagisa might be scary when he's angry, but he cares for you more than what you think." The moment I said this, Kayano recovered a little of her confidence and finally looks at me with a face that's saying 'really?'

"I'm sure he'll understand. But if he doesn't, I'll make sure to knock some sense into him so that he won't hurt you in the process." And with that, Kayano finally makes a smile.

It looks like I eventually lifted off the burden from her which made her calm down. I guess I was both right and wrong, perhaps.

"Thanks, Karma. I'm glad that you understand. Also I'm sorry." Kayano said with a softer voice.

"Hey, don't worry about it." I made a smile to let her think that I'm not angry or anything just in case if she tries to blame herself again.

"Well, I better get going."

"Okay. Goodnight."

"Same to you."

And I started the engine of the car to start rolling and leave.

I kinda need some time to think about Kayano's secret so maybe it'll take awhile until I'll fully be able to keep my words and have faith on her keeping the promise.

Now then, what should I do about Nagisa?

---

End of Chapter 31

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84.1K 1.6K 16
"What if I told you, you could be adored by girls? Admired by other boys?" the brown haired girl asked. "All you have to do is say yes, or no to my q...
1.1M 49.2K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
310K 6.9K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
337K 18.5K 85
He was a supervillain, brilliant and ruthless. For James Moriarty, fortune and power had become so easy, it was boring. But not for long. Now the Gre...