Ride That Dragon (Wattys 2014)

madwriterwithin tarafından

All burnt. All gone. The monsters we feared and their masters on top swirled in the air. I could hear them la... Daha Fazla

Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
AUTHOR'S NOTE
10
11
12
13
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Not an update
31
32
Author's Note
33
34
35

15

50 4 0
madwriterwithin tarafından

  I could see the life draining from his eyes. The dagger struck right between his eyes. Blood started to drip and I could see his facial expression fall. His body went numb and he collapsed on the ground like a bag of sand.

Thud!

  The legendary Henry Samuel had fallen. It was hard for me to believe that I had killed him. I had heard so many stories that people thought he was dead but he came out alive laughing and taunting 'This would be hard to be brought down' , he used to say gesturing his body.

  His men started at the body lying down lifeless. I released a breath I had forgotten to release.

  "Kill them all!" I heard Mike. I turned to see him charge at me.

Get down!

  It rung in my head like the bells toll. I did. Then it came.

  People started to scream and brace the ground. The monsters screeched in the air and swirled. Then he came!

  He swooped low and shot a blazing fire at Mike. I covered my head as the ball shot him like a cannon and Mike was set on fire. It was more like a spit of fire like lava and Mike's charred body collapsed before he could hit me. All the soldiers got up.

  All hell broke loose again. I tried to catch my breath and sat up. The black beast was burning everyone alive.

Get up!

  Deja vu.

  It bit a Hunter and tore him apart infront of me.

Get up!

  I did obey him even this time. It took me under his wing.

Stay close!

  That was the time I realized I was shaken up. I peeked from the wings and saw black hoods running around. It was comical but the thing they did weren't. They were effortlessly slicing man after man. But this time I saw one extra person with them.

♧♧♧

  As they say a war is won when the leader falls. The same happened. Henry's death took a toll and in no time his men were brought down.

  I sat beside Heidi's corpse. Her eyes were still wide open. Her body was beginning to stiffen. I stared at her lifeless blue eyes than had lost its colour. Her skin was becoming paler each minute. A man came and covered her up. I had the last glimpse of her gun shot chest and the hole in her head. I had an urge to vomit and I did.

  They picked up her body and left me sulk by myself.

  "You have been called at Captain Makyle Jefferson's cabin", a voice came from behind. I looked at the man standing over me and my eyes watered. I blinked to see his face. I recognized him being one of the guys at the training with me. I nodded and got up. I hardly managed to walk.

  "Do you-" I cut him off by shaking my head. It was a kind gesture from him but I needed to be strong. I needed to grieve but I didn't have time. I asked him where the cabin was and he gave me directions. It was weird that I still didn't know where what was except my cabin and the barn and the diner.

  I walked to Captain's cabin and I could hear screams from the other side of the door.

  "I am not taking him back or giving him chance to take the tests again. He's a hopeless case Mills and advice you not to waste your time in that filth!" I heard the howl which sounded like Captain Makyle.

  "Ok first of all, I don't take advice from a piece of shit like you-" I heard another calm voice. I was taken aback by it. That must be Captain Mills from his creepy exterior I never could have imagined his voice being so deep and clear.

  "Do you want to create a rift between us, Captain? Because now isn't the time!" I heard Makyle roar.

  "What's there to create when its already there", the clear voice came. I rolled my eyes and knocked. I was tired of eavesdropping and I knew they were talking about me.

  "Come in", Captain Makyle's voice boomed.

  I entered at saw Captain Makyle pacing around and Capital Mills with his exterior and mask on leaning on the wall in the corner. Both snapped their attention towards me as I stepped in.

  "You called", I choked words out and my voice was hoarse and I was bored. I slightly had an idea why I was called. Capital Makyle probably would insult me more and tell me that it was because of me that the attack happened since I knew Henry Samuel.

  "You-!" Captain was about to go ballistic.

  "Shut your trap would you Jefferson", Captain Mills cut him off. Makyle seemed pissed to no extent and he gritted his teeth.

  "How would you..", Mills turned to me and paused. I knew he didn't know my name.

  "Anthorian Graham, sir", I whispered enough for him to hear.

  "Yes Anthorian, how would you like to join squad one", his full attention on me. My mouth was hanging now. I was confused my gaze shifted from Makyle to Mills and vice versa.

  "Are you seriously considering this Mills?!" Makyle banged the table infront of him.

  "Since you are not letting him follow the protocols by taking tests and then being recruited into squad one and since I don't care about your stupid protocols since I decide whom to recruit and not, so am breaking the tradition", his smooth voice challenged Makyle. Mills turned to me, "So son what do you think?"

  I gaped at him.

  "Well I'll take that as a yes and when I say yes its final since you don't have a choice here and lets be honest even if you say no and go the reasons that you would die in your every first mission, well I don't care and you will still be taken. So how will I make you disappear?" he put a finger on his chin and stared into space thoughtfully.

  "This is outrageous. He is a Hunter and do you really want to risk this?"Makyle interjected.

  "Your suggestions are of no importance to me Jefferson and I say you stick your dirty nose in someone else's business since this is certainly not your area of expertise. But seriously Makyle you said you had hopes for this lad", he glared at Jefferson, well I think it was glare but I really couldn't guess much because of the mask.

  "I do not tolerate such disrespect in my squad!" Jefferson defended himself.

  "Hmmm", Mills thought,  "Pity! C'mon boy follow me". I stood there speechless. I could see Jefferson fume.

  "I haven't got all day. I know his cabin is pretty but a little girly for a man's taste now c'mon Graham! " Mills ordered as he hurried out. I hurriedly followed him behind. I shut the door and heard "MILLS YOU IMBECILE! " from the other end.

  "Should I just burn this cabin and say you were in here and died?" Mills said as we reached the bottom of the steps.

  "Are you sure you want me?" I was shocked.

  "I wouldn't be planning your death if I didn't now would I?" he sternly mocked me.

  He lead me to a tent and pushed me in. I saw the other five inside the tent. All had their masks on.

  "Natasha do the pleasantries please so we can be on our merry way. God this place is depressing", Mills walked past me and took a bottle a water and pushed his mask up a little and chucked the whole bottle. He was still good at hidding his face cause I couldn't see it.

  "Here! Dress really fancy pretty boy you stallion is along with the others", a female voice came from a short one. She wasn't that short. She tossed me clothes. I began to dress.

  "Jaromir make sure he's dead", Mills pointed at me. I backed away a little. A tall figure passed away from me.

  "Don't worry he'll just probably add your name in the people who were killed this afternoon", Mills said. I bet he was smiling beneath that mask.

  I heard a roar. We all became stiff. The short one, I think it was Natasha went by the entrance.

  "Dragons are out of control", it was Natasha in her monotonous tone.

  The place became a havoc. We heard numerous whines and screeches. I ran out to see what it was. I came out. People were taking shelter and looking up in the sky.

  Dragons were flying up and swirling and whining. A few stopped flying and fell on the ground snapping their necks. It was raining with their bodies.

  "What's happening? " I asked from my mask.

  "Mass suicide. It happens when their Tamers die", a heard a familiar voice. I recognized it. It was red head. I turned to the fella.

  "What?" the tall fella behind me asked me.

  "You are the carrot top right?" I asked. He nodded lazily. Oh so their extra member was red head. I was surprised to see he was in squad one. I heard grunts and I snapped my attention to it.

  I saw a familiar shade of orange balls rolling on the ground. My heart clenched at the sight. Heidi's dragon were trying to kill each other. They whined, wailed and were bitting each other off. I don't know what came over me and ran towards them. What am I doing?

  I reached out to one and pulled him off the other. It whined and tried to bite me.

  "It's me! It's me!" as if it understood me. It tried to struggle from my grip but I didn't move.

Let them be!

  I looked up and saw my black beast standing above. This guy liked to sneak on to me.

  "Why?"I yelled at it.

Atleast they will have their wish to die beside their master!

The voice echoed in my head.

  "That's rubbish!" I yelled at it. I tried to separate the other two. The one in my hand had given up struggling and was limp and it cried.

  "And Heidi said you were like us!" I yelled at them. I couldn't control them with one in hand so I had to stomp on one and kick the other.

  "Heidi would be ashamed of you!" I yelled at them. The air was filled with cries of other dragons.

You are an idiot!

  "Oh yeah listen to me. I failed to save her!" my voice came out weak.

  "She was my friend too. The only friend and now I have no one! NO ONE!" I yelled at the beast. It looked at me. I could see sadness in its eyes as if it understood me.

  "You are the only things that belonged to her and am not gonna loose it like I lost her", I fell on my knees and cried. I looked at them and the two were laying on the ground whimpering. They stopped fighting. The set the other one down.

  "I am so sorry", I cried. I didn't realize it till I said it. They were the closest thing Heidi had. I had seen how much she adored them. I had lost her and I knew I couldn't loose them. I was confused as to why I was saving these dragons.

  But then I hit me. They were Heidi's. No matter how much I hated them. She loved them. For Heidi I wanted to keep them alive. Live on for her. If people said dragons were like us then suicide was wrong. I couldn't let them die.

You are making a mistake. It's their choice you can't stop them!

  "I'll stop them for Heidi! " I rested my head in my hands I felt the wetness in the mask from my tears.

How would you know what she wanted?  She's dead.

  That ticked me off. I got up and faced him, "You burn in hell!". I yelled in his face and walked away.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

72 2 15
*SHORTER READ* I am a magic user. No one cares for me, and I don't care for them. I am an outcast and a loner. My family didn't like me that much...
15.1K 727 51
"Who's out there?" One of the men yelled. Of course only silence met them. I remained quiet and waited for the group to start moving again. "Maybe i...
125K 8.3K 55
Five Star Reviews for Atlantis Academy: "Omg this book was amazing I couldn't put it down or stop reading. I carried it with me open on my phone whil...
5.9M 262K 52
"What the hell?" I took a step closer to the mirror, staring at my reflection in disbelief. The person looking back was still me, but at the same ti...