The Skeleton In Me

By PaperMars

On January ninth, 1996, a boy with an odd skeleton was unfortunately born into existence. With his homeless m... More

The Skeleton In Me
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-six
Chapter Thirty-seven
Chapter Thirty-eight

Chapter Thirteen

5.4K 425 71
By PaperMars

Chapter Thirteen

It was a big risk, but I had no other choice.   

I ran through my idea with Cousin almost a dozen times. None in which he seemed remotely interested in doing. I begged him, I even got on my knees and pleaded with him to do as I instructed.

The day went by quicker than I expected it too. One minute I was going over my plans with Cousin, and the next he and I were being called out on stage.

The crowd was cheering as I gripped Cousin's chains, him following me closely behind as we made our way over to Mr. Father. His smile was as dazzling as it was crooked. There was no man in the world that I hated more, and yet, I had to admit, he was damn brilliant when it came to putting on a show.

I glanced over at Cousin, who stood slumped behind me like a dog on a leash. I swallowed my sympathy for him, and looked forward, determined to get this over with.

Mr. Father said a few words to the crowd to hype them up. He described Cousin to be a monster, a wild beast in the form of a broken man.

Broken man was the only truthful thing he said.

Suddenly on the stage, my plan began to look more and more unrealistic. Cousin looked folded in on himself, hiding his face with his knotted black hair. I told him to attack me when I called his name and ordered him to sit. I told him to push me to the floor of the stage, pin me down, until I screamed. I told him to act wild, to show the crowd he was not to be ordered around.

I wanted him to look Mr. Father in the eyes and promise him that when he is free, he will be merciless.

Mr. Father wanted an animal, Cousin was going to have to be one.

"How long can the chains withstand such ferocity?" Mr. Father boomed into the microphone, "How long can we stare upon the beast until he invades our nightmares?" He held out a long pause for a dramatic feel, "Only one woman has the power to control him, only one woman can tame him like no other." He waved his hand to me, "Show the crowd, prove to the world that all monsters will obey the orders of a beautiful woman!"

I suppressed the urge to roll my eyes, and turned to Cousin, "Remember what I told you." I said to him in a whisper, hoping it wasn't completely useless. And then I held my hand out, "Cousin, I command you to look up."

And look up he did.

The crowd erupted in gasps as his black eyes scanned the crowd. I waited a moment, learning from Mr. Father to draw out the silence.

And then I took a deep breath, both our eyes locked, and I said, "Cousin, I command you to sit!"

I waited. My eyes were still on his. I counted one second, two, three, but nothing.

He wasn't going to do it.

My shoulders slumped, and I knew if this didn't happen, if I didn't get him to obey me and do as Mr. Father wanted then I'd be tossed aside like a worthless piece of trash.

I needed him to work with me.

I opened my mouth, "Cousin Ignominy, sit."

Absolutely nothing.

I glanced at Mr. Father who was staring at me with narrowed eyes. He expected me to have this down already. He certainly wasn't going to forgive me for ruining his show.

I turned back to Cousin and clenched my fists. "Cousin Ignominy I will only say it once more." I stared him in the eyes, pleading. "Sit. Down."

It happened quick. One moment he and I were locked in a stare, the next, I was lying on the ground with a shock of pain erupting from my back.

Cousin was on top of me, his cold hands gripping into my shoulders, his fingernails dug into my skin making me wince. His face was inches from mine as his hair dangled softly against my skin.

At first, I thought the look on his face was of rage. His nails kept digging further and further into my shoulders. For a split second I wondered if this was not an act, but his anger bleeding out of him uncontrollably.

And then I noticed he was shaking, and I knew it was because he's never shown such emotion before. Has he ever felt so much human contact at once?

Was he scared of me?

The crowd was loving it, I could hear the gasps, and uproar of concern.

I, on the other hand, was relieved. "Thank you." I whispered to Cousin. And for a few seconds longer, we stared at each other.

And then I screamed, all for the show. I screamed, and I screamed until Candace ran out, grabbing Cousin off of me, pulling him by the chains and taking him away behind the stage.

Mr. Father ran up to me, feigning concern as he helped me up.

"Oh my god, are you alright sweetheart?"

I pretended to be winded, "Yes." I made sure the crowd could see my fake tears, "Yes I'm good now, it was all just a bit of a shock."

"Of course, of course, go get yourself some air."

I did. Returning back behind the stage I couldn't help but laugh. Candace high-fived me and I didn't bother to hide the triumphant smile from my face.

"You two have a chemistry I've never seen before." Candace said as he shook his head in disbelief. "It's quite remarkable, considering only a week ago, I was sure Cousin had no sense of reality at all."

"He's brilliant is what he is." I said, knowing Cousin was listening as he sat slumped against the back-stage wall. "He saved me out there." I turned to him, "Thank you," I tell him, "Really."

He didn't look up at me as his gaze was glued to the floor. I pretended the only reason he was ignoring me was because Candace was watching, and not because he regretted his actions.

Candace warned me to get ready, because Cousin and I will be going back out on the stage after the acrobats were finished with their routine. I walked over to Cousin and sat beside him.

We sat in silence for a long moment, before I spoke up. "Why did you do it?" I didn't expect an answer, I didn't expect him to say anything at all, at least not while we were in public like this.

Still, I couldn't prevent myself from asking.

"At first I was sure you wouldn't. I'm still surprised that you did." I took a deep breath, trying to forget how his body felt on top of mine. It was cold, he was frail, and I couldn't shake the thought of how unalive his body seemed to be. "Something clicked inside of you, and whatever it was, I'm thankful." I turned to him, "It might not seem like it right now, but I'm doing this all for you. So just remember that when we are on stage together." I know I keep saying it, but I wanted him to remember why I was here. Not for the money, but for him.

I can't let him forget.

I didn't say anymore after that. We kept to ourselves, and I didn't mind. I needed a moment to breathe. The adrenaline died down when I began to realize that this act was something Cousin and I were going to have to do for every show from now on.

On top of that, when we got back out on the stage, we were going to have to kiss again.

I winced at the thought.

I just hoped this wasn't too much for him.

Half an hour later, we were called back onto the stage. The crowd had never been so loud. Having Cousin attack me was probably one of the greatest marketing moves Mr. Father has made yet.

Awful, but brilliant.

I clenched Cousin's chains tightly in my hands, my knuckles bled white as I scanned the faces in the mass of people. Mr. Father walked over and wrapped his large arm around my shoulders, "Tell them." He said to me, "Tell the audience that you have no fear."

I swallowed as he put the microphone to my lips, "I have no fear." I say in it, "A mere clown will not scare me. He's mine, do you all know?"

They loved it, all of them, cheering and laughing, and whistling. I was aware that my dress was too tight, and my makeup was too heavy, I was no more than a pretty showgirl in the eyes of these men and women. And so, I will use that.

I blew them all a kiss, and stuck my hand on my hip, as I turned to Mr. Father.

He looked absolutely delighted in my confidence, "Give our girl another round of applause, come on!" The crowd obeyed him, shouting so loud I wondered if my ears would bleed.

When everyone died down, Mr. Father beckoned to me and Cousin, "Just to prove to you all that only one woman can own this beast, our dear, brave Beauty will not only control the beast, she will kiss him.

There it was, I was hoping he'd let it go for the night.

Of course, why would he? This had nothing to do with him. He wasn't the one scared to be touched or scared of touching.

He had nothing to do but order, and we to obey.

I was no less a pet to him than Cousin was.

I turned to Cousin after giving the crowd one last dazzling smile. I walked over to him, looking him straight in the eyes I tried to apologize to him with only a look.

I hoped he could read my expression.

I reached my hand over to his face, making him flinch. His skin was cold to the touch as I leant over and put my lips on his.

I blocked the noise of the audience as I focused on my skin touching Cousin's. Every time we touched, I felt like what I was doing was forbidden, that I was breaking some unmade law.

I felt like I was trespassing, and as much as I hated it because I knew it made him uncomfortable, I also couldn't force myself to hate it.

My heart was dedicated to him, and if it meant kissing him, or making him uncomfortable for a few minutes for the sake of a lifetime of freedom, then I was going to take that risk.

Cousin backed away first, and though I expected him too, my heart still clenched when he did.

Mr. Father once again told everyone to applaud the both of us, and the crowd once again obeyed. We stayed on the stage for another ten minutes, showcasing Cousin's body like he was a mere object and not a living human being.

A few people asked me to make him do certain tricks, most of them being dog tricks that made me furious, but I had to listen to them.

Finally, I bowed, and Candace beckoned us to return backstage.

Another show was done.

Mr. Father wrapped up the show by saying goodnight and returned backstage with us. He came up to me immediately, his smile so wide that his dimples made his face look deformed.

"Phenomenal!" He practically yelled, "I expected the best from you Bexley dear, and you gave me better." He patted my cheek like a child, "You, are quite possibly the best last-minute investment I've ever made."

Investment, that's all I was.

Still, it was the only compliment he could come up with, so I took it, and let it go.

I turned to where Cousin was, but two helpers were already leading him back to the train. They gripped the chains tightly, and tied his hands together, his baggy long-sleeved shirt was made him look smaller than he actually was as his sleeves were so long, they covered his hands.

The sight ignited my rage, and once again I was reminded that these people were animals.

"Bexley!" Candace came up to me, tugging on my arm. "You look starving, let's go get some dinner before we pack up."

I tried to protest, as I wanted to be with Cousin, but I decided that maybe dinner was a good idea, even if he didn't like it, I was going to keep bringing Cousin food.

I took one last glance at Cousin as he was being led away and turned back to Candace. "Alright," I tell him, forcing a grin, "Let's go."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51.8K 1.2K 45
21 year old Victoria Moretti, is an assassin. She is an independent woman that doesn't rely on a man to do anything. She thinks they are a waste of t...
8.6K 245 16
"Come on Little Rose, we both know you want to" He Taunted me with mischief In his eyes "Well then, better be ready for some Mayhem" ...
117K 6.1K 99
Hannah And her Happy Harem After spending her entire life training to become an Olympic level gymnast only to suffer one too many injuries for her bo...
43.3K 1.6K 32
WARNING!! This story contains the following!!: descriptions of blood/gore, homophobic slurs, homophobia, internal homophobia, and anxiety. High Schoo...