errand girl ยป baekhyun โœ“

By xxbyunhyun

โ I know I'm bad, but it's the only choice that life ever gave me. โž She was the crime world's errand girl an... More

intro
epigraph
prologue
one
two
three
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
epilogue
special chapter: yukhei & three

four

3.2K 220 109
By xxbyunhyun

Would you really always come back for me?

━━━━━━

FOUR

doctor Sunkyung's illegal clinic for hopeless souls

━━━━━━

'' A time will come, when you will have nowhere else to run. ''

I still clearly remembered the police officer that told me those words. It happened a little less than four years ago, when I first ran away from the strip club where I grew up and then the brothel where I almost ended up together with my friend. I was running for so long and my feet hurt, but I didn't stop. I knew that if I would stop running, I would die.

I started living in one of the cage homes of the underground and I desperately needed to find a way to make money. Chanyeol and I met by accident, when I bumped in to him on my way back from the toilet that I shared with the twenty other people that lived in the same apartment. He was a young drug dealer back then, barely crawling on to the scene and I started my career by helping him. We didn't really know what we were doing, but we were fast learners and one of the biggest lessons was almost getting busted by the police.

That night the cop let us go, but I was never going to forget the absolute pity, sorrow and shame that I saw in his eyes. He wasn't wrong when he said that one day we'll have nowhere else to run. And we both knew what came after that for people like Chanyeol and I. Prison, an overdose, suicide... Nothing nice anyway. There was no hope for a magical salvation and a better life.

I was trying to force myself to suppress those memories again, but it was tough. These days, it was all starting to come back to me.

The cashier was giving me suspicious looks while I was placing my food down in front of her and I didn't snap out of my thoughts until she told me the amount that I owed her and I realised that I didn't have enough money. My eyes slightly widened, then I glanced down at the water, bandages, a scarf and some food that I bought to take back to Chanyeol. I stared at it for a few moments, then I grabbed the scarf and held it back towards her. '' Can you please take this off the bill? ''

I was hoping that the scarf would keep him warm now that the temperatures were getting colder, but it looked like he would have no choice but to be happy with wearing one of my old sweaters.

I glanced at the mirror above the cashier and cringed.

Fuck.

I thought I saw someone familiar, but I was hoping that I was wrong.

The cashier seemed almost reluctant to take the wrinkled bills that I pulled out of my pocket and she forced a smile on her face before I rushed out of her store. I swung my backpack on my shoulder and took a few quick steps down the street. I glanced at a street mirror and sure enough, I clearly saw the familiar individual that followed me out of the convenience store. He saw me speed up, but instead of taking that as a sign that I didn't want to talk to him, he also started walking faster and I realised that I had no choice but to confront him.

I waited behind a corner and stretched out my leg when I heard him approach, in hopes that I would be able to trip him, but he noticed my indentions at the last moment and stopped. He glanced to the side and his eyes met my dark and empty ones. '' Were you trying to follow me home, mister? Are you trying to get pepper-sprayed? ''

Detective Baekhyun found himself at a loss of words at first. He pulled up his scarf, trying to hide his surprise and buy himself some time to think of what to say. '' I was going to ask you if you're stalking me, but it seems like you beat me to it. Give me a second to think of another way to start this conversation. ''

'' How about apologising? '' I asked, raised my eyebrows and continued staring at him.

He cringed and mumbled: '' Do I have to? Do you really want to see me suffer-... Nevermind. You don't have to answer that. I know that seeing me suffer would probably make you really happy... Can't you just come back to the police station tomorrow? ''

I looked down and saw him holding a scarf in my direction. He saw what happened when I was trying to pay for my item, so he bought it for me instead. The scarf was brand new, but not the same one that I picked. It was more expensive and warmer.

He ran through his dark hair with his hand when he saw me looking at it. '' I don't know who you are buying it for, but I saved them from a fashion catastrophe by getting a nicer one. One that won't freeze up and become as warm as a piece of cardboard with the first rain or snow. ''

I didn't say anything until one of the nearby street lights flickered and made me snap out of my thoughts. Then I quickly snatched the scarf from Baekhyun's hands and stuffed it in my backpack. I was going to walk away without another word, but he stepped in front of me again and blocked my way. '' Not so fast. I think that scarf earns me some answers. What happened to your face? I don't see you for one day and you look like you got hit by a train... Did you get hit by a train? What were you doing on train tracks? You know that's dangerous, right? ''

I narrowed my eyes and seriously replied: '' I didn't get hit by a train, idiot. I know how to ride the train for free and when to keep off the tracks. It's the first thing that you learn when you are poor. ''

'' You need to stop confessing your criminal offences to me, '' he muttered, cringed and adverted his eyes at the ground.

I stuck my hands in my pockets and continued studying his expression. '' I made a mistake and I paid the price for it. I got drunk with the wrong people and wasn't as careful as I should've been. Someone took that as a chance to get their revenge and jumped on me while I was on my way home through the tunnels... Tch, stupid idiot thought that I had some money in my pockets... I have people who hate me. Very much. ''

I purposely told him the truth, just to see how he would react. I didn't want words of pity and I was curious to see if he would try to convince me that things would get better. I always hated blind lies like that, so I was glad when he scratched the back of his head and nervously murmured: '' You have people who hate you? Don't we all? I mean, I have you. But now you are making me wonder if I should be more careful while I walk around by myself at night. I mean, I usually just glare at people that I hate behind their backs and try to be as passive aggressive as I can, but I see now that you think it's normal to choose the more... aggressive aggressive approach. ''

The corner of my mouth twitched in amusement at the sound of his words, then I quickly got serious again. He also grinned before raising an eyebrow and wondering: '' It's late. Do you want to go eat something? ''

'' Not hungry. ''

That was a lie, my stomach was growling the whole day, but sadly I already had other plans for that night. I figured that I ran in to Baekhyun in that neighbourhood because he was headed somewhere nearby and there was a similar reason why I was there too. I was on my way to a hospital, so that I could steal some of the medical supplies that doctor Sunkyung needed for Chanyeol. I didn't want to do it and the guilt that I felt was absolutely horrible, but I had no choice.

So I added another bad thing to my already dirty conscience.

I almost managed to do it, but then I ran in to Baekhyun for the second time, inside the hospital walls. This time, literally. He just stepped out of one of the rooms when I sprinted down the hallway, chased by nurses that were trying to stop me. Our gazes met only for a split second and at first he was too shocked to even realise what was happening. I was more ashamed than surprised, but I didn't stop running, not even when he rushed after me  and started screaming: '' Three! Stop! I know that it's you! Stop running! ''

I hurried out of the hospital and ran across the street. There was an entrance to the tunnels nearby, but I never managed to reach it. I stepped on the street, just when a car appeared out of nowhere. The tires screeched when the driver hit the breaks, I jumped to the side to get out of the way, stumbled and fell on the asphalt. The basket that I was carrying fell on the ground and medical supplies scattered all around me.

'' Three! ''

Out of all the cops in Seoul, why did it have to be him that got involved?

I was frantically picking up the medical supplies and gathering them in my now bloody and scratched hands. The nurses caught up with me and I heard one of them scream and ask for someone to call the police. That was when Baekhyun rushed forward and showed her his badge. '' There's no need for that. Don't call the police. I'm a cop. I'll take care of it. ''

There was something comforting, but at the same time heartbreaking in the way he said that he'll take care of the situation, even if he could just throw me in a cell and be done with me forever.

'' Come on. I'm waiting. You better have a good excuse for stealing from a hospital and I can't wait to hear it. I heard you climbed through an actual window to get inside the building... Did you really think that your plan was going to work? ''

'' No, but I was desperate, '' I emotionlessly mumbled and glanced up towards him. I was sitting on one of the chairs in an empty hallway of the hospital and Baekhyun was walking up and down in front of me. My arm still stung from the scratches that I got when I fell on the road outside the building. I knew that they would probably get infected if it wasn't for Baekhyun. He convinced one of the nurses to look at the wound and put some bandages on it. '' I knew that something was going to go wrong, but I wasn't expecting that it would be you. ''

'' Wrong answer. '' He crossed his arms on his chest and frowned. '' I am the moral compass that is here to kick you back on the right path. No more stealing from now on. ''

I raised an eyebrow in doubt. '' Or else what? You'll try to pull off the tickling attack that you already threatened me with once? ''

He leaned forward towards me and challengingly widened his eyes. '' You think that's all that I can do? You don't even want to know how wrong you are! There's a reason why they call me the 'Monster interrogator'! I can break any criminal! One time I forced one guy to listen to 'Gee' on repeat until he would finally decide to confess. He lasted for eight hours, but he hasn't been the same ever since. But I can also call my grandmother and tell her to torture you with talking about her favourite tv shows. Or I can eat the best version of your favourite food right next to you and not let you try it... There is no line that I won't cross. ''

I tilted my head to the side and seriously mumbled: '' I've heard Ahryung call you a lot of things, but 'Monster interrogator' was certainly not one of them. ''

He frowned in annoyance and straightened himself again. '' How about we make a deal? You tell me the truth about why you tried to steal from the hospital and if I'll decide that it was a good reason, I'll buy the medical supplies for you. And don't try to lie to me, because I'll know. Your nose starts twitching when you are lying or hiding something. ''

'' You are the one that has a weird face- '' I began to yell back in irritation, but I stopped when I saw the serious expression on his face. Time for jokes was over and he wanted to know the truth. I wasn't planning to tell him, but when I heard him suggest that he'll get the medical supplies for me, I changed my mind. '' Give me your badge and come with me. I'm not good with words, so I'll just show you. That way you'll understand. Really understand. ''

His eyebrows furrowed together with confusion. '' Why do you need my badge? ''

'' Because at the place where we're going, you are not welcome as a cop. I am taking you there as Byun Baekhyun. Another human being. Nothing more, nothing less. ''

It was already around midnight when Baekhyun and I reached doctor Sunkyung's underground hospital, but Chanyeol was awake. He wasn't wearing the breathing mask anymore, so every breath that he took sounded strained and weak. His chest was slowly going up and down, his forehead was covered with cold sweat and his eyes were wide. He didn't say it, but it was clear that he was in pain.

He instantly tensed when he saw Baekhyun behind me, but I quickly grabbed his hand and told him that it was okay. He stopped trying to move, but he was still glaring at the dark haired cop that was standing behind me. '' You think I don't know a stupid cop face when I see one? ''

Baekhyun stared back at him with a serious expression on his face. '' I see you are as friendly and welcoming as Three. ''

Chanyeol looked like he wanted to spit in his face in response, but he changed his mind when I told him: '' Baekhyun helped me get the supplies that doctor Sunkyung needs to take care of you. He's not like us, but he is not a bad person either. ''

He didn't seem convinced, but he didn't say anything else either. He chose to ignore Baekhyun instead and his gaze shifted towards me when I pushed his red hair off his forehead and checked his temperature. '' What did Sunkyung say? How's your condition? ''

Chanyeol sighed and quietly murmured: '' The fractured ribs are as fine as they can be, but the other wound... Well, the doctor said that if it'll get infected, I might die. But if it makes you feel better, I already feel dead, so that wouldn't be too big of a change for me. ''

'' That doesn't make me feel better at all. I don't like it when you are complaining about dying from anything else besides my nasty attitude, '' I mumbled and absent-mindedly patted his red hair. I glanced at Baekhyun, who was standing behind me and looking around. He was watching the other patients. Old and sick people, badly beaten up mobsters, drug addicts that barely survived another overdose... Sunkyung's illegal clinic wasn't a nice place.

I looked at Chanyeol again and lowered my voice: '' I'll go to your boss tomorrow and have a chat with him. You've been away for a few days so he's going to start missing you soon. ''

He forced a smile on his lips and said: '' Let's not talk about my boss and give me another reason to want to die. I want to talk about you and how much you miss me while I'm stuck here. Come on, you can lie to me. I am too high on painkillers to really care. I just want to hear that someone is waiting for me to get out of this place. ''

Chanyeol and I always addressed each other as partners, because of the way that we used to sell drugs together in the past. When we first met, we were both in a part of our lives where we didn't want to get involved with other people. My friend just died because of organ traffickers, while his father suffered an overdose and we needed time to heal. Our relationship was supposed to stay strictly business, but somewhere along the line, we became friends.

He had the rest of his family and he wasn't really alone, but to me he was the only other person that I had in this world.

Baekhyun was strangely quiet, except for the passive aggressive comments that him and Chanyeol were throwing at each other. He couldn't even bring himself to look at me, let alone say something, until we stepped outside again. The cold night air was colouring my cheeks in deep red shade and he was looking at the police badge that I just returned to him. Then he suddenly raised his head and said: '' Let's do it. ''

I frowned with confusion. '' Do what? ''

'' The massage parlour. Your plan. Let's do it, '' he seriously said and put his badge back in his pocket. '' I have a feeling that I am going to regret it and I have no idea what I'll write in my report if something will go wrong, but let's do it, brat. ''

I wasn't the type of person that would dwell on possible dangers. I always did things without thinking about my own safety. The problem was possible, but it wasn't real until it was happening right in front of my eyes and I had to deal with it. That was why I didn't ask myself about the possible dangers of my plan until the next night, when I found myself sitting in one of the rooms of the massage parlour and waiting.

What if the collector is carrying a gun?

It was quite a while since I last fought someone with a gun.

What if some other costumer comes before him and I'll have to give an actual massage?

I cringed in disgust at the thought and started cracking my knuckles, before the sound of Ahryung's voice made me flinch and jump on my feet. '' Oh, I almost forgot! The most important reason why you have to be careful! You are wearing my dress and you can't get blood on it! It's one of those that if they get stained with it, then they remain red forever. I mean, I only know because I spilled red wine on myself once or twice- ''

'' Or a million times, '' Yixing spoke up and chuckled in amusement. I rubbed my temple, struggling to get used to hearing their voices through the earpiece that they gave me at the police station. I tried to convince them that I didn't need any fancy gadgets like that, but Baekhyun insisted.

Ahryung and Yixing were both sitting in a car somewhere outside and waiting, in case we would need backup. Baekhyun was still talking with the owner of the massage parlour and trying to get the pornographic material that we knew he was hiding on his computer. All he had to do was plug a special USB key in his laptop and then Ahryung would take care of the rest, but he needed to distract him before he could do that.

Ahryung chuckled and admitted: '' Okay, maybe I do also have an actual bloody stain on another dress when some guy that I met in a club called me old, but- ''

'' Why don't you save that story for the workers at your favourite dry cleaners place? '' Baekhyun suddenly snapped. '' The USB key is in the guy's laptop and he went to go get the money that he owes me for selling him Three. Get to work. And Three, how's the situation where you are? ''

I looked around the dimly lit room and sat back on the pink sofa bed. '' I'm still waiting, but I am guessing that the organ trafficking victim collector should be here soon. You almost spelled it out to the massage parlour owner when you kept talking about how vital I am earlier. That conversation got really awkward, really fast. ''

'' Tell me about it. It totally made me lose appetite for my egg toast, '' Ahryung seriously responded and I could almost imagine her shaking her head.

There was a moment of silence, then Yixing mumbled: '' But you still ate it. ''

Ahryung quickly started fighting back: '' Well, I wasn't just going to throw it away, was I? ''

'' So that was the munching sound from earlier... '' I thoughtfully murmured and made sure that my earpiece was properly covered by my dark hair. '' I thought that I was hearing things because I was hungry. ''

'' You two went to get egg toast when you were supposed to be sitting in your car and waiting in case we'll need backup?! '' Baekhyun whisper yelled and gritted his teeth with annoyance. '' Fuck, the massage parlour owner is coming back. I have to go, but this conversation isn't over. ''

I didn't know if they managed to get the incriminating pornography material from his computer, but I wasn't able to ask, because in the next moment someone knocked on the door of my room. My heart skipped a beat and started racing in my chest and I pulled down the tight dress that Ahryung gave me, so that I would blend in with the other girls at the massage parlour. It was incredibly short and the blue colour of the fabric didn't fit me well, but at least I managed to hide my taser under the skirt.

The door opened and I forced a smile on my lips. My eyes were glistening in the faint red light and I intertwined my fingers on my back to hide the way they were trembling in fear. I wasn't sure if the man that walked in the room was the collector that we were looking for and I needed to find a way to confirm it. Baekhyun didn't want to arrest just another costumer of the massage parlour. The collector would realise that there was something wrong and take that as a chance to run.

'' I heard you were the new girl from Hong Kong? '' the man wondered and took a step closer.

The sound of his voice sent a chill down my spine and I suddenly realised how it was just the two of us in that dark room. He could hurt me really badly and everyone would ignore my screams. That was how it was in places like this one. It was the same at the strip club where I grew up. You could scream all you wanted, but the costumers was more important than you and your life. They were the ones with the money. '' Yes. My Korean bad. Very bae. ''

He held his hand in my direction and I nervously gulped before I slowly raised mine. He grabbed my wrist and started twisting my arm left and right. '' Hm. You have a lot of bruises. Did your last owner do this to you? You aren't supposed to be damaged goods. ''

He was talking about me the same way you would talk finding an unbruised apple at the market and I was starting to get sick to my stomach.

Did I leave my earpiece turned on?

'' N-Not damaged. Bruise very easily. One hundred percent healthy, '' I mumbled and continued smiling at the man.

He raised an eyebrow. '' Maybe I should confirm that. I don't want the doctor to cut you open and find out that your last owner left you with a fractured rib or wrecked organs. ''

That's it.

If I wasn't sure before, I definitely knew now.

He was our collector.

He wasn't expecting me to fight, so I managed to hit him once before his fist came in contact with my face. I felt the iron taste of blood in my mouth and the pain that travelled under my skin. Then I stumbled back and collapsed on the ground. He clenched his fingers in to fists and I hissed through my teeth when he kicked me right in the stomach. '' You are trying to fight?! Did you forget where your place was?! ''

He managed to kick me another time before I grabbed the taser that I was hiding and attacked. I reached out towards his legs and slammed it right against his knee. He cried out in pain, but not loud enough for anyone to come to his rescue. He staggered back and hit the wall and I took that as a chance to knock him off his feet. He was a lot taller and stronger than I was, but I managed to push him with his face against the ground and climb on top of him before I started hitting him with my taser.

I didn't stop until I knocked him out. My hands were trembling, my breaths were heavy and I could feel the blood that was beginning to trail down from the side of my lips. My heart was beating fast and I suddenly heard Baekhyun's voice through my earpiece. '' Three? What's happening? Is everything okay? Do you need backup? Three... Talk to me. ''

I lowered my taser and slowly climbed off the unconscious man. My breaths were heavy and my hands were shaking. '' I got him. Let's get out of here and... Wait, you got a massage while you were waiting, didn't you?! And you dare scream at Ahryung and Yixing earlier for getting egg toast?! ''

Arresting the owner of the massage parlour and saving the girls that worked for him was one thing, but getting the collector to talk about the people that he worked for, was a whole different story. The detectives told me that I could go home once we dragged both of them to the police station, but I was curious. I wanted to see what he would say or what he wouldn't say. That was how I found myself watching what was happening in the interrogation room together with Yixing. Baekhyun was sitting there with the collector and trying to get him to talk.

'' Ever been on the other side of this glass? '' Yixing asked and glanced at me in curiosity.

I narrowed my eyes, without looking away from the collector. '' Once. ''

'' Me too. '' When he noticed my confused face, he quickly explained: '' I mean, I know I'm in the interrogation room every day now, but I was in there as a non cop once. I was the criminal that was getting interrogated. Instead of the other way around... What did you do? ''

I took my eyes off him again and quietly murmured: '' I was a witness for my mother's murder. ''

'' Oh. '' Yixing looked straight ahead again and awkwarly smiled. '' I was getting interrogated because I stole an ice cream from a convenience store. They got me because I felt bad and I went back to confess my crime to the cashier... So pretty much the same thing as you, I guess. ''

The corner of my mouth twitched in amusement at the sound of his response, before the collector's words caught my attention. '' You want to know why I'm telling you everything that I know? You think that it's to get myself a little less years in prison? Don't be silly. It's because I'm already dead anyway. It was over for me the moment you dragged me in to the police station. He surely already knows that I'm here and I'm certain that he ordered someone to come get rid of me. Clean up the mess. If you won't be fast, the doctor that I was delivering my victims to, will already be dead too. ''

He wasn't wrong. The police stormed in the illegal clinic where some doctor was extracting organs from people, but all they found was his dead body. The next morning, the cell where they put the collector, was empty. Baekhyun sent a warning to every other police station in town and told them to arrest him on sight, even if deep down he knew that he wasn't a fugitive on the run. He was already dead, just like he told that he'll be.

The weak link got taken care of and another collector was found dead in some club in Gangnam.

The seller, the one that was on top of Lee mafia's organ trafficking game, knew that we were after him and the chase officially began.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.6K 2.8K 20
โ ๐™‚๐™–๐™ข๐™š ๐™ค๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง. โž Saki has a talent for seeing the bad in people and Baekhyun is a man of two faces. a dark romance au!
96.8K 5.6K 23
โ I'm engraved in your heart so even if I die, I'll live forever. โž Where he is the heartless rich boy and she is the seemingly innocent poor girl, w...
34.3K 1.1K 14
Danger is alluring. Danger is fascinating. And he sure as hell was a dangerous man. But you were more then willing to give yourself to him. Even thou...
559 72 13
After losing my family, It was never my intention to move into seoul and let alone meeting the most feared mafia leader, whom perfectly doing his bus...