My Step-Brothers

By gracegxlee

Evanna Halls, a 12 year old girl tries to overcome her mental illnesses while dealing with bullies in school... More

Welcome!
Chapter 1: Divorce Forms
Chapter 2: It's Going To Be Alright
Chapter 3: Jonathon
Chapter 4: Jonathon Part2
Chapter 5: Alone
Chapter 6: Memory
Chapter 7: Hospital
Chapter 8: Moving?
Chapter 9: Moving? AGAIN?
Chapter 10: Meet the New Family
READS UPDATE :)
Chapter 11: Snitches get Stitches
Chapter 12: Birthday
Chapter 13: Pain
Chapter 14: Small Fight
Chapter 15: Out To Eat
Chapter 16: Sick
Chapter 17: Swimming Accident
Chapter 18: A New Friend
Chapter 19: Into The Woods
Chapter 20: Coming Back Again
Chapter 21: Running Away
Chapter 22: School Starts Soon
Chapter 23: Back To School Shopping
Chapter 24: School
Chapter 25: After School
Chapter 25: Picture
Chapter 26: Ankle
Chapter 27: Different Sides
Chapter 28: Saved?
Chapter 29: Matthew
Chapter 30: Least Favorite
Chapter 31: Shopping Incident
Chapter 32: Stealing
Chapter 33: Don't Make Promises You Can't Keep
Chapter 34: Instagram Account
Chapter 35: Dad Finds Out
Chapter 36: Dad finds out PT. 2
Chapter 37: Alex & Andrew PT1
Chapter 38: Alex & Andrew PT2
Chapter 39: Split Family & News
Chapter 40: Claire and Her Brother
Chapter 41: Waking Up
Chapter 42: Wedding Day
Chapter 43: Wedding day Pt. 2
Chapter 44: Stuck in The Rain
Chapter 45: Re-introductions
Chapter 46: I like you.
Chapter 47: Unexpected Turn Arounds
Chapter 48: Where Everything Started Turning Around
Chapter 50: Studying Hard
Chapter 51: Test & Christmas Special
Chapter 52: Christmas Special Part 2
Chapter 53: Invisible
Chapter 54: Trust & Betrayal
Chapter 55: Goodbye, friends
Chapter 56: Falling Apart
Chapter 57: I'm In Pain Too
Chapter 58: My Brothers' Gift
Chapter 59: Happier
Chapter 60: Visit To The Hospital
Chapter 61: Matthew's Back & Accidents
Chapter 62: Blaming and Trust
Chapter 63: I Hate My Life
Chapter 64: Suicide
Chapter 65: The Notes
Chapter 66: The Accident
Chapter 67: Staying In The Hospital
Chapter 68: Flashbacks
Ending
Note
Sequel!

Chapter 49: First Detention Ever

59.9K 1.6K 2.8K
By gracegxlee

E V AN N A

I leaned my head against Brandon's shoulder as we watched the news.

"A male, 38 years old, named Jonathon Millers was found at an alley way, unconscious, along with two other males, identified as John Brown, and Raymon Richards. They tried to sexually assault an eight grade female, and before that, they tried assaulting many other young females. All three are arrested and sentenced 12 years in jail—"

Brandon shut off the Tv. "That's more like it. You said he was in jail for 1 year? Bullshiiiivering! A-are you cold? Because you look like you were shivering!"

I stared at him, and he stared back awkwardly. Brandon sighed. "I don't know how this brother thing works. I know I've done really messsed up things to you and I'm sorry. I'm warming up to you. And the not cursing thing is hard."

I gave him a small smile.

My hair was in a messy bun, and I had an oversized knit sweater that came to my thighs. I was wearing shorts under, and I absolutely loved the sweater. It's so comfy and warm.

"I'm sorry," he said.

Reassuring smile.

He frowned. "You haven't talked the whole day. Are you okay?"

I nodded. I just didn't feel like talking. I felt like my voice wouldn't work. I couldn't explain it.

"Rest," he told me. "You should sleep. You barely got any sleep. You were waking up from nightmares all night."

"Why're you being so nice?" I muttered sleepily.

"Because I realized what I was doing was messed up and no one should treat someone like that. I'm sorry."

"You saved my life. Thank you," I said.

"Yeah? Well you owe me," Brandon teased.

"Really? I think that canceled out from everything you did to me," I teased back.

"Okay, okay. But I'm sorry," He said.

"Aren't you going to school?" I asked.

"Ditching."

I shook my head. "You shouldn't ditch school. You have to go to school and learn."

"Too much drama," he explained.

"I bet you're the one who causes most of them," I mumbled.

"That's.... true... but Andrew and Alex do it too," Brandon said.

"Mhmm. That's great," I said, slowly falling asleep.

I heard Brandon chuckle and I felt my body being picked up. He carried me to my bed and I fell asleep.

————

"Holy crap! I was so worried! Why do you stop coming to school all the time?" Summer asked frantically.

I gave her a smile. "I'm okay. I was busy."

She huffed as we went into the school. "Fine."

I saw Natalie standing near my locker, looking nervous. When she saw me, she smiled awkwardly. "H-hey."

"Hi," I replied, opening my locker.

"I'm really not good with words. I'm sorry for everything I said to you. I know how hard it can be to speak up and I shouldn't have said those stuff to you," she said.

I closed my locker. "It's okay. I know you say that kind of stuff. Don't worry."

She heaved a sigh of relief. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

All three of us walked until they had to go to their class. I walked into mine and then made eye contact with Jayden.

Crap.

I forgot about him.

His arms were crossed and he had his headphones on, but he was glaring at me with complete hatred. I walked to my desk which was right in front of his and sat down, ignoring him.

I felt a hard kick to my desk. Another one. And then another one. Jayden kept kicking my chair, and no one noticed.

"Class, we have a new student," The teacher announced. "This is Samuel Carters."

The boy I saw few days ago walked in, with a blank face. When he saw me, his lips curled into a small, shy smile, making me smile back.

"Sit next to Evanna. Evanna, raise your hand," the teacher ordered.

I shyly raised my hand, as Sammy sat down next to me.

"You look better," Sammy commented.

I blushed, smiling. "Yeah..."

Sammy glanced back at Jayden, and looked around until he spotted some of the boys from days ago. He mouthed, 'Was it them?'

I bit my inside cheek, nodding slightly. Jayden kicked my chair again, making me flinch. Great. Now he noticed.

"Boyfriend?" Jayden asked, and I knew that he was smirking.

I shook my head, adverting my attention to the teacher. As soon as the bell rang, I shot up my seat and grabbed my binder. I started walking out, hoping Jayden wouldn't do anything.

Someone grabbed my arm, and I flinched again, panic flooding in me.

Sammy  frowned. "Are you okay? I didn't mean to scare you."

"N-no. I'm sorry," I replied, smiling.

Jayden knocked into me, making me drop all my stuff. "Oops, Sorry." His voice was dripping sarcasm, and his friends followed behind him, laughing.

"What's your problem, asshole?" Sammy shouted.

I thought this only happened in movies or books, but the whole hallway went silent, everyone staring at Sammy.

Jayden turned around, his face full of amusement. "Did you say something, new kid?"

Why are the new kids always involved with me and Jayden bullying me? First Matthew, and now Sammy.

Sammy glared at him. "Yeah, I asked, what's your problem?"

People started moving, not wanting to be late to class. I judged Sammy's arm. "Hey, I think we should go."

Sammy shook his head. "No. I wanna know what this asshole thinks he's doing."

Jayden laughed. "That's funny. You have some nerves."

"Back off," Matthew said, walking towards us. "Touch her and I'll kill you."

Jayden cocked his head to the side, smiling. "How does it feel to have two body guards?"

Sammy looked at Matthew. "Who's this?"

"Who are you?" Matthew asked.

"Sammy."

"Matthew."

"Why aren't you in class?" Sammy asked.

"I'm here to protect her. You can go to class," Matthew replied.

Jayden chuckled. "Wow, Evanna. You got 2 boys fighting over you."

Then the bell rang, but no one moved.

"G-guys I think we should go," I muttered, making my way past Sammy and Matthew. Unfortunately Jayden was blocking my path, so Matthew grabbed my arm, pulling me back.

"No way you're going near that bastard," Matthew growled.

"What am I? Bastard or asshole?" Jayden chuckled.

Both, I thought.

"What?" Jayden asked, glaring at me.

Did I say that out loud? Crap.

"Evanna, get over here right now," Jayden demanded, anger laced in his voice.

If I went, he'd probably kill me. If I didn't, he would probably kill me, bring me back alive, then kill me again.

"Did I fucking stutter?" Jayden asked, clenching his fists.

I started making my way towards him, hating myself for leaving Sammy and Matthew. I hated how much power Jayden had over me. I hated myself because I did what Jayden said.

"Hey!" A teacher yelled, stomping towards us. It was Mrs. Jenkings, a snobby teacher no one liked.

"You seven! My office! Now!" She screamed at us.

I was the first one to move, not wanting to cause more trouble. Matthew ran up to my side, glaring at Sammy. "You trust him?"

"He's a new student. He's my friend," I told Mathew quietly.

We went inside her cramped and small office, and I was standing the farthest from Jayden. Mrs. Jenkins started screaming her head off at us. "What are you doing in the hallway?! You should be in class! All seven of you?! Were you having a party or something?!"

"What's your point?" Jayden asked.

Here's a tip: Never talk to a teacher like that.

"What's my point?!" She screeched. "Jayden Smith! Apologize right now!"

Jayden laughed. "Or what?"

She huffed, glaring at him. A moment later, she turned her attention back to all of us. "Detention! For all of you!"

No. No. No. No. No. No.

This. Cannot. Be. Happening.

"Mrs. Jenkins! I'm sorry! It was a misunderstanding!" I blurted, stepping towards her. "We didn't mean to! Please, Mrs. Jenkins. Can you please let us off one time?"

"Goody two shoes," Someone coughed behind me. Owen grinned at me, giving me a small wave when I turned around.

"Mrs. Jenkins, I'm sorry. Please let it slide?" I asked hopefully.

She scoffed. "No! And because of Jayden's lovely attitude, two detentions! For everyone!"

My jaw dropped. "Wait! Please—"

"Chill!" Blake muttered. "What a loser. It's just detention."

I whipped around. "Just detention? Do you know how much detention can affect someone? It's going to be on your record and—"

"Did you just yell at me?" Blake asked, raising his eyebrows.

Oops.

"N-no," I stammered, hating myself for being that scared of all of them. "Sorry."

"Well, that's done. Two after-school detentions for all 7 of you." Mrs. Jenkins gestures for us to leave.

————

"D-Dad?" I stuttered into the phone.

"Yes sweetie?" He asked.

"I...I got detention," I mumbled.

"What?!" He exclaimed.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean for it to happen! It was a misunderstanding, but—"

"Why can't you be like Jayden?" He asked, making my heart shatter into millions of pieces.

"Dad," I said, my heart clenching. "He got detention too."

He sighed. "We'll talk when we get home."

He hung up.

My dad told me to be like him. Without even hesitating, he compared me to him. I couldn't describe how I felt right then. I'd lost the only last person in my family that loved me.

No, you lost him long ago. Your dad doesn't care about you.

Don't believe me? Kill yourself. Then, we'll see.

I closed my locker, slung my backpack over my shoulder and walked to the detention class. I was trying my hardest not to have a panic attack, even though most of the time, you can't control it.

"Sit down, Evanna," Mr. Jenkins, the husband of Mrs. Jenkins said.

They were probably the perfect match. Both were bossy, annoying, and mean. I sat down in between Sammy and Matthew. The class was pretty big. There were few other kids besides us, who I didn't know.

Then the door opened, and I saw Jayden, Owen, Blake, and Dylan walk in. Honestly, the fact that I was stuck with them for an hour made me feel great. Note the sarcasm.

"Sit down, boys," Mr. Jenkins muttered. "The sixty eight time I've seen you guys."

"Let's go!" Owen exclaimed. "One more to go!"

I wrinkled up my face at his dirty joke.

"Okay, so I have work for you guys to do," Mr. Jenkins said, handing us papers. "If you don't finish it by the end of detention, you'll be here until you finish."

And then...

He went to sleep.

I looked down at my paper. It was some SAT questions. Seemed easy enough. I was preparing for the SAT's and the SSAT, and some other tests.

I finished the eight-pages worksheet in twenty minutes, and I had a lot of spare time.

Someone snatched my paper from my desk. I looked up at saw Dylan holding my paper. "Thanks."

Before I could say anything, Matthew was out of his seat, grabbing Dylan's wrist. "Give it back."

Dylan scoffed as he pushed his arm away. "Not happening."

I was going to tell him to give it, but someone covered my mouth from behind me. "You don't want to wake up the teacher, now do you?" Owen whispered in my ear.

"Get your hands off of her," Sammy growled, standing up.

Ugh, this was too much drama.

Dylan walked away with my paper and he and his friends copied my work. I sat there, hating myself for not being able to do anything.

Thirty minutes later, Mr. Jenkins woke up. "Mkay, Kids. Get out!"

We did, and I bolted out of the classroom.

"Wait!" Sammy yelled, catching up to me. "Can I have your phone number?"

My mouth dropped. "W-what? Mine?"

He nodded. "Yeah... so can I?"

He handed me his phone and I took it in my shaking hands, typing in my number. Before I could finish, Jayden walked right between us, knocking the phone onto the ground.

"My bad," Jayden said, walking away.

I quickly picked up the phone, relieved when I saw there was no scratches. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine. He's an actual asshole."

I gave him my phone number and smiled. "I'll see you later."

"Bye."

***

Hi guys! It's Grace :)

I absolutely love your nice comments. It's so fun to read and makes my day. I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!

Q: Do you like Sammy?

Vote
Comment
Share
:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

270K 12.5K 56
Despite years of abuse by a close family member, Maya is starting to learn the meaning of trust and love with the help of her new family. She's made...
20.1K 588 11
Jaymes-Conner Anderson - Openly gay, 17 year old high school senior. Lives with his mum, step-mum and twin sister, Jaimi-Constanie. Oh, Jaymes-Connor...
72.4K 2.4K 29
Sixteen year old Nova is ready to see what life has to offer. Her family isn't ready to let her go yet. Secrets beyond what Nova could imagine will b...
10.8K 545 25
(For some problems I couldn't put the whole description here so please kindly check the first chapter as I am gonna upload the description as a chapt...