The Ace - An Unordinary Fanfic

By laurelsolaris

"There's a reason why everyone's targeting us. And that reason is very simple--we have two Aces and they're o... More

(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)
(7)
(8)
(10)
(11)
(11.5 - Recap)
(12 - Interlude)
(13)
(14)
(15)

(9)

2.2K 59 7
By laurelsolaris

"I'll offer you a deal," the brown-haired woman said to the bystanders as stepped forward, "we'll exit without harming anyone. We just want those kids."

"Lies," Isen hissed, eyes gleaming as he addressed the rest of the diner, "you know what these people do in order to keep you guys silent. Besides, I can sense their abilities. They're weaker than us but they have strength in numbers. Siding with them will lead to all of us getting killed."

"If you join us, you might get some rewards for catching a criminal," Remi piped up, eyeing the onlookers warily.

"We don't want the rewards of the government," hissed a man.

"Then you will receive the protection of a Superhero who isn't dead. Besides, do you really want to succumb to your fear and let these criminals get away with the things they've done?" Blyke demanded, voice itching with disgust.

The brown-haired woman made a quick two finger motion towards her allies. Fire.

A young girl screamed as Remi thrust out her hand, eyes glowing amber with her ability activated. Blyke's hands enclosed hers, his red aura melting into her lightning. As one, they struck.

The shield of lightning and energy locked into place as Isen charged, delivering one-punch K.Os to many of the opposing mid tiers.

Their mysterious attacker cursed and turned back, the diner's door flying out with a slam. Isen, narrowed his eyes, preparing to lock onto the chase, but Remi thrust out a hand to stop him.

"Ouch!" He rubbed his shoulder and glared at Remi, her ability had still been activated.

"Sorry." Remi turned to the onlookers. "Um, you guys can go back to what you were doing before. The danger's gone. I doubt they'll send in reinforcements when we're still here...or when we leave."

The doors to the diner slid open once again and in walked Elaine and Arlo, who took in the distressed state of the place.

"What...just happened?" Elaine asked.

"You guys arrived very late. You owe us an explanation," Remi folded her arms, eyeing Arlo in particular. "And where's Sera?"

"Not right now," breathed Arlo, "we'll tell you guys on the way. Just...follow us."

"Ah...John and Doctor Darren are also missing," Isen realized.

Blyke eye's widened before groaning. "We should have celebrated another time. Clearly, there's more of them around here."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Seraphina had been keeping tabs on the restaurant. Once the offenders left, she signaled to Arlo and Elaine and began scaling the walls. Arlo threw his shields around Elaine.

"Keep out of sight," he hissed, "and if we're in trouble, return to the others and tell them what happened." The healer nodded, wide-eyed.

A person in the group had turned around the second after Arlo activated his ability. "High tier, twenty feet away."

"What's his ability?" their leader, Helena, asked.

"Barrier. Do we--"

Everyone stopped moving.

There was no noise to be heard.

The king smirked as he strolled up to the people, eyes gleaming.

"Hurry up," Seraphina hissed. He rolled his eyes and lifted a lazy hand. Everyone was trapped inside Arlo's barriers. The king tipped his head, waiting.

Time resumed again and as quick as lightning, Helena broke free of the barrier.

Arlo's blink was the only indicator of his surprise before he waved a hand, trapping the female again--

Seraphina tackled the brown-haired woman, sending the elite tier sprawling. She stepped out of Arlo's barriers and the time resumed again. Helena coughed before glaring at the girl with hateful eyes. "Make it quick, girl." The king looked towards her, a thin line across his mouth. His message was clear. You are the Ace of Wellston and a god-tier. Do not let this inferior mid-tier walk over you.

"I won't stoop that low to killing you...I just want to know the truth."

The woman laughed. "Then you'll get nowhere in life, even with your powers."

As fast as lightning, the god tier struck and instantly, Helena doubled over, clutching her stomach. Seraphina's face turned stormy. "If I didn't know what your organization is, I wouldn't be doing this. But you leave me no choice--"

"Wait...your sister...she is also a time manipulator, is she not?"

"A lot of assumptions. I don't even have a--"

"She has your hair."

Seraphina crossed her arms. "A coincidence. I don't have a sister...unless you'd like to contest that?"

Helena smirked. "Her name is Leilah. And she ran away from your family. I would know because I was once her business partner."

"Until what?"

The brown-haired woman closed her eyes, "until I learned better." As fast as an asp, she thrust open her palm, revealing a white pill. Seraphina was faster though, knocking the pill away with a slap to Helena's palm.

"You were corrupted," said Seraphina, standing up. "Our society was corrupted. Just like I once was. You really think they're going to spare you? You're an elite tier who could become a high tier."

"They don't target elite tiers," the brunette responded stubbornly.

"Oh, they did...just before they started targeting high tiers. I'm sure those at the lower end of the spectrum will be safe...but you're borderline high tier. I know that abilities like yours have a much mastery level. You aren't safe. You'll be betrayed by the people that pretended to care about. The mid-tiers at the mall? I saw how they all looked at you. They were using you."

"Just...shut up." Helena suddenly moved, throwing a kick before white powder suddenly splashed onto the god tier's hands. The brunette instantly froze as Seraphina examined herself.

"Rewind," she muttered, watching the burnt skin fade away. Then, she stared at the frozen elite tier. "I don't know how you escaped...but this time, I'll personally ensure you're staying." She swiveled around to Arlo. "Go get Elaine, get the woman secured, and find the others." Before he could respond, she darted away into the night.

He blinked, staring at the spot where the Ace once was...and then at the frozen people. Oh. Seraphina had forgotten to unfreeze the rest of the group. It seemed like the King of Wellston was stuck with cleanup duty again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Leilah. The Doctor ground his teeth. Part of him wanted to blame the kids for this. Part of him knew they would be in this situation anyway and it would be nice to have powerful high tiers as back-up. This confrontation would hopefully be the last. Even if his evening was ruined, at least they could get this high tier fiasco over with.

"You're unusually quiet," noticed John.

The Doctor didn't even bother to glower at him. "Just shut up. Can you sense her or no?"

"...technically, yes. Her Time Manipulation is so strong that I can--" John broke into a run and Darren followed, not even breaking a sweat.

"What were you about to say?"

"The stronger the ability level, the more I can sense. But...there are a couple of mid-tiers chasing her. Seems like they're injured. Probably from her. Anyways, they're invisible and still approaching her. In other words, your date is in danger."

"...Are you serious?"

"Why would I be joking? But don't worry, she's slowing down time."

Darren sighed in relief. "She's going to be okay?"

"No," John replied, "there's a third party coming her way. A...another high tier."

"What?!?"

"With the same ability but even stronger," John narrowed his eyes, the corners of his mouth lifting, "I just wish there was someone here that I can--" He stopped, tugged on Darren's hand, and ran.

"Who did you get that speed from?"

"I don't know. It doesn't matter anyway, we're coming to save your girl."

"She's not my--"

John held up his hand, his scowl turning into a restrained grin before murmuring quietly, "Seraphina is here. I can sense her presence."

The Doctor raised his eyes before sighing. "Why the fuck did they split up and why is she alone? Arrgh, I can't handle these kids. We just need to hope that the rest of them are okay."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

He couldn't believe things had to go wrong. Again. He had even been enjoying himself at that damn boba place and then the Doctor's girlfriend had to go get herself kidnapped. And then Seraphina decided to run away as if there was something more important she had to do than stay and help him protect their group. Still, he trusted her.

Better Seraphina than Remi. Although both his Ace and Queen seemed to be getting into more trouble these days.

"Arlo?" Elaine asked but the King shook his head. Not now. He needed time to think.

"Where are we going? Back to our dorms?" Isen asked.

"But Seraphina, John, and Doctor Darren are still out there," murmured Remi.

Blyke stifled a curse and Arlo was inclined to echo it. If only Seraphina had stayed, they could have used her to track John somehow...wait.

"Scheming face," Remi whispered.

"Definitely," Blyke agreed.

Arlo ignored them, turning to Isen. "Can you use your ability to track down the others?"

For a moment, a terrible silence filled the room. It was broken instantly by the hunter's grin. "I thought you would never ask."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

If you guys enjoyed, be sure to leave a vote!

Thank you for your support.

^~^

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

102K 9.1K 110
"You think I'm golden?" "Brighter than the sun, but don't tell Apollo" Dante hates Rome's golden boy. Jason doesn't even remember him. Right person w...
669K 58K 104
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
1.3M 25.7K 51
and all at once, you are the one I have been waiting for theodore nott x fem oc social media x real life lowercase intended started: 3.25.23 finished...
169K 4.5K 39
" She is my wife, stay away from her!" " Keep trying she will remain mine. " " Show me your scars, I want to see how many times you needed...