unwanted

By ShawMcKnight

the uninvited series book II He didn't come for her. Can not be read as a stand-alone. Should read uninvited... More

chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twentyone
chapter twentytwo
chapter twentythree
chapter twentyfour
chapter twentyfive
chapter twentysix
chapter twentyseven
chapter twentyeight
chapter twentynine
chapter thirty
chapter thirtyone
chapter thirtytwo
chapter thirtythree
chapter thirtyfour
chapter thirtyfive
chapter thirtysix
chapter thirtyseven
chapter thirtyeight
chapter thirtynine
chapter forty
chapter fortyone
chapter fortytwo
Unfinished

chapter seven

876 64 5
By ShawMcKnight

unatoned

There was eight of them living under this roof. Jess watched them from the window, some of them played, some of them worked.

Three little boys named Rob, Jaymes, and Fitz. She knew because they were always getting yelled at by the others. And with good reason. Jess watched those three with a smile on her face. She imagined she'd been a lot like them at that age.

Adrian, with two others around her age were working in the fields. You could tell it had once been a huge field of corn but now it was all dead and they just tended to the small garden to the side. Which was by no means small but after what it once was, she bet they thought it was small.

From here she could also see some horses, cows, chickens, and even a few goats and pigs.

An older woman appeared from time to time from inside the house but after getting onto the boys, she always retreated inside.

She would never admit this out loud, but she was anxious to go downstairs and meet everyone. She was dying to see normal so bad she could almost taste it.

As much as she wanted to wake Julian, she restrained herself. Going through their bags had turn up everything but their clothes.

She didn't even know whose shirt she was wearing.

Her stomach growled. Not the first time. That sandwich brought up earlier seemed a long time ago and about an hour ago something started smelling really good.

How long since she's been hungry? Long enough that she couldn't remember it.

Focusing on Julian, she tried to wake him by sheer will.

When that didn't work, and she grew tired of watching everyone, she laid back down and tried to get some more sleep.

Julian instantly curled around her

Were they dating now? She didn't even know if she could form her mind around that thought. He'd always been everything to her, but could he still be everything to her?

The old Jess would say hell yes, and she'd already be making out with him. And more. Anything in the name of getting over Kell.

The more she cared, the more she'd be showing that she didn't care.

But Julian wasn't just a rebound guy. She'd never use him, not for any reason.

He was right. If they were going to do this then it would have to be for real. Forever.

The million-dollar question was, could she do it?

She growled and stared up at the ceiling. It wasn't like this was a freaking love triangle. One of them wanted her and one of them didn't.

Not that she could blame Kellum. She'd told him that she was more trouble than she was worth.

Sixty-six days. That's how long he's been free to come get her.

There wasn't a piece of her that hadn't been a hundred percent sure that he'd be here on day thirty. The very moment the advisors were done keeping their word, she thought to find him standing in front of her.

Angry. Hurt. His eyes swimming in pain and relief.

How could he not come? How many times has she asked herself that?

At first, she tried to be angry, but she couldn't manage it. She knew who was to blame. She'd done all this to herself.

She was the one who betrayed him. She lied. Hurt him more than she knew a person could hurt.

She thought trying to save the world was a good excuse but guess not.

Her biggest mistake out of dozens and dozens, falling for a good looking, alien prince.

For all she knew, he could be mated now and king.

That thought was a razor-sharp clawed hand digging into her chest.

Wow eyes.

Eyes that could sweep her away and fill her soul with warmth and sunshine.

She'd been so sure that he meant it when he said that he couldn't live without her. It hadn't been easy, but he was doing it.

And so was she.

If that is what you wanted to call it.

She didn't know why he didn't come but it didn't matter why. He didn't and if he did after all this time, she couldn't be with him like everything was okay. It was about as far from okay as it could get. Maybe she did betray him, but he betrayed her too.

Her heart was broken. Even without all the voodoo alien crap, she'd be hurting right now. A devastated mess.

Something her mom had never allowed herself to be.

She hated him for making her so weak.

"Look at me."

Jess kissed the hand that cupped her cheek. "That new guy touched my forehead, and it didn't hurt. Wonder what that means."

"Hopefully that he means you no harm to you. He seems nice enough."

"Yes."

"Sorry, I slept so long."

"You needed it."

He smiled a little. "I bet it was driving you crazy to sit and watch me sleep."

"I figured I owe you."

He reached for some shorts someone left sitting on the chair near the bed. "These people seem nice enough, but I want you to stay close. Any sign of trouble we get the hell out of dodge."

She nodded and reached for the smaller pair of shorts. They were a man's and would be too large, but they were clean.

They headed down the stairs hand and hand and would have headed for the front door, but they were stopped before they could reach it.

"Whoever in the hell you are, get your ass in here. You can help me get dinner on the table."

The old lady didn't even blink at seeing the newcomers. "Girl, you get the dishes on the table. Boy, go outside and get those pitchers of tea I had brewing in the sun all day."

When Julian didn't move fast enough, he got swatted with a wooden spoon. "Get. Girl, you want some of this?"

"Nope." Jess grabbed the stack of plates. She had no idea where the dinner table was, so she went in search of one.

There was no table in the dining room. Instead, there was three mattresses lying about the room with a wooden box of clothes laying at the foot of each one.

"We eat outside." A girl with brownish-red hair smiled at her. "Follow me. I'm Jessica, by the way."

Her arms were full of glasses and cups. "It's just easier that way. Somedays it's too hot inside. I wonder what we'll do when it gets cold. I haven't thought about it till now. The kids use the dining room as a room now. Good thing too or you and your friend would be on the floor right now. Our free rooms are officially gone now. Don't worry, though. If I know Adrian, he'll put up bunks in the living room next. Any time he goes away he always seems to come back with guests. Not that I'm complaining. He found me and my brother that way. Thank god. We were doing okay on our own, but it was no way to live. Being here almost makes it seem okay. I know it's not, but I like to pretend it is."

Seeing Julian with his arms full, Jess sat down her plates and went to help him.

He winked at her.

"I'm so glad it stopped raining. When it rains, we eat on the porch. It's not as nice." The new girl opened her arms at the two large table position in the back yard. "This way makes it seem like we're a family. I wish you had been up to eating yesterday. We had pork chops. We only get to eat like that every few weeks, so sad for you. I swear I dreamed about those pork chops."

Seeing Julian, the girl blushed then shrugged. "It's true though. They were so good."

"Agreed." He looked at Jess. "I feel really bad for eating yours."

Yeah, he looked it. She was glad he'd gotten some real food into him but seeing his disappointment at her reaction, she punched him in the gut as she passed him.

Hearing his chuckle, she smiled.

Jessica frowned at them then went back to setting the table. "Tonight, we're having beans. Lima beans. Not my favorite but Grammy is a good cook, so it could be worse.

Jess went back to Julian and this time when she punched him, she meant it. He got pork chops and she got lima beans?

Laughing, he pulled her into a hug.

"There's cornbread. She makes it just a little bit sweet and it will be hot from the oven. I don't know what we would do without Grammy. I can't cook very well, how about you?"

Seeing that Jessica was looking at her, she shook her head. She could cook a little but that didn't mean she wanted to.

"She's_____"

Her elbow to his stomach shut him up before he could finish that thought.

His arms around her tighten and he kissed her cheek. "God, I love you."

"Boy, do I have to wear your hide out? You don't stand there watching when there's work to be done. Jessie may run her mouth nonstop, but she does her work. You do the same or we're going out to the woodshed."

Adrian took her wooden spoon from her before she could wallop Julian again. "Grammy, how about we introduce everyone before you start beating anyone."

"Kids these days don't know what a good beating is. Back in the day.... Fritz, don't you dare sit down at my table with those dirty hands." The old woman took her spoon back and headed after the boy.

"She's harmless enough but I can't promise you that she'll take it easy on you. She likes to run a tight ship."

"Like I can do that with all these hoodlums running around here. Sean, did you check to see if Paula or Matty are coming to dinner?"

"Neither are coming. Told you not to cook lima beans. I almost didn't come."

The boy softened the blow of his words by leaning in to kiss the old woman's cheek. He had to be Jessica's brother. He had brownish-red hair and the same light brown eyes. They were even the same height; the boy just outweighed his sister by a good fifty pounds.

"I'll introduce everyone starting with the youngest. Rob is six. Buddy, say hi to our new friends."

He barely managed a wave. Fritz who had been getting into trouble the most today, rolled his eyes and helped the younger boy into his seat at the table.

"Jaymes is eight." This little boy wore glasses and was as thin as a board. He waved their way, then sat next to Fritz.

"Fritz is nine."

"Howdy. Grammy, tell me we're having corn on the cob and not broccoli. You need to pair some good with the bad and not two bads."

"You mess with me and you're getting bread and water."

"If it's between broccoli and bread and water, I'd rather the bread and water."

"Annie will be eighteen in just a few days.... Where is Annie?"

Sean threw his head back and groaned. "She said she was on her way. I should have known better."

Adrian offered them a smile. "Annie is missing more times than not. She likes to wonder. She's eighteen but you'll think she's a lot younger when you meet her. She has an innocence to her that I wouldn't change for all the world. You met Jessica. This is her twin brother Sean. They're both sixteen."

Sean took the time to shake Julian's hand before he went to sit next to his sister.

"Marty is seventeen. She's only been here a few weeks."

"I thought her name was Matty?" The older lady frowned.

"Marty, Grammy."

"Well, if she came around more maybe I could remember her name. I don't know why she's living in that travel trailer when we could make room for her in the house."

"Paula is usually here; you'll meet her tomorrow. You've met Ms. Smiths. We all call her Grammy." He grinned her way. "She won't tell us how old she is."

"That's right and if you even try to guess, I'll hit you with my spoon." She finally sat down next to the smallest boy and went about wiping at his cheek with her thumb and some spit. The little boy made a face and she chuckled at him.

"This is Julian and Jess. You two take whatever chairs you want."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.8K 321 16
"You are my Lodestar, my guide, my light." ~ You're Y/N L/N, a curious girl. You've just moved back to The City. You and your childhood friend...
326K 12.5K 44
Natilie has always wanted a mate and dreamed that he'd take her away but sadly she's rejected, but does she finds another mate? Maybe but is he her t...
294 19 2
She was abducted but made her own escape, or did she. He tried to protect her, but couldn't protect her from himself.
33.8K 183 35
This isn't Original at All. Book Cover ain't Mine at All.