Waiting For My Mate

By Veikari

Laxus is waiting for Freed to return from a mission and Freed has no idea what is waiting for him when he wou... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
The Last Chapter
little update

Chapter 51

4.5K 118 77
By Veikari

At home Laxus seated Freed on the couch, still covered by his massive dark coat.

"I'm feeling much better already", Freed assured while Ever started to make tea.

"Good to hear, then you have enough energy to tell about those demons and Zaldevils and everything related to them", Laxus said sitting next to him and Bickslow slumped on the arm chair.

"I'm not even sure where to start", Freed sighed.

"Start with that nightmare you just had. What demon was it? Has Valdeghar anything to do with it?"

"No!" Freed said and he even felt a little bit hurt that Laxus even suggested something like that. "You leave Valdeghar out of this. He doesn't deserve to be accused of something he did not do."

"Alright", Laxus said. "Just checking."

"Good. Because I don't think Valdeghar would work for my grandfather behind my back, at least not with his own will", Freed huffed.

"Fine, we can leave Valdeghar out of this", Laxus promised. "But then, who are those demons? What demon has been giving you nightmares?"

"I don't know their names, I haven't even met them before. But I'm sure they work for my grandfather, since it has been Valdeghar who actually has warned me many times that he is up to something. Last time when I spoke with him was right after we returned when we fought with the suo-kaapu. He assured that grandfather had not taken any contact with him and he will tell me if he would."

"You trust him that much?" Ever asked setting the tray with teacups on the coffee table.

"He saved our lives", Freed said. "He wouldn't have done that if he didn't care. He said that he wanted to help because he thought Bickslow was a really good friend."

"Aw, thanks baby", Bicks grinned.

"But if your grandfather - Lucados, was it? - is the lord of the family or whatever, doesn't that give him the ultimate control over every demon in your family?" Laxus asked.

"Actually, no", Freed said. "Well, yes, somehow, but he can't just order Valdeghar around, nor tell him to leave me. Same goes with Umanor."

"Who's that?" Bicks asked confused.

"Darkness."

"Oh, it's that other fella, demon with big horns and claws whose form you use sometimes."

"Rawr!" 'babies' growled.

"Precisely. Umanor doesn't really care about talking and he likes his own space and peace, but he is a good friend also. It was easier to befriend with him than Valdeghar", Freed confessed.

"When we were in your mansion, you told me you were one day old when you got your demons. And you don't know how many there is inside you", Laxus said. "Is that true?"

"Yes", Freed nodded. "I have no memories of that day as you can guess. The largest number of demons I know one of my ancestors had was nine. Usually it is around one to four. I'm not sure if even grandfather knows if there are more than just Valdeghar and Umanor inside me. But then again, grandfather seems to be most secretive of his powers thorough all history of Zaldevils..."

"So how did you get to know those two?"

"There are rituals that I was taught. With those I can talk with one demon at a time and make a contract with him, but only if they agree to it. They might be part of me but that doesn't mean they are willing to co-operate. It took four times to talk with Umaro until it was done and thirtyseven times to talk with Valdeghar and even after that we had lots of quarrels with him."

"Where do they come from, baby?" Bicks asked curiously.

"I'm not sure, but they must have their own dimension where one of my ancestors once made a connection and created this whole arrangement. Demons are forbidden to tell anything about where they are from. Zaldevil family's contract says that in the moment demon steps inside the new family member, they belong to them until the day they die."

"Somehow it is hard to believe they would do that willingly", Laxus grumbled.

"I don't believe that either, but sadly there is no way to find out about that", Freed said shaking his head. "They can't tell, no matter how much you ask them or try to force them."

"Let me guess, it must be because of your grandfather you are so obsessed with all the rules?" Ever said and Freed nodded sipping his tea.

"If you don't follow the rules with demons, horrible things can happen", he said. "Even one slip might cause fate more horrible than death."

"What a nice bedtime story that is from your grandpa", Bicks snorted.

"You said it has been years since you saw Lucados last time", Laxus said. "So what did suddenly change?"

Freed sighed.

"Well, I had one dream where I talked directly with grandfather, it happened when we were at the mansion."

"You said it was nothing", Laxus growled glaring at Freed.

"I honestly did think it was just a dream, Laxus", the smaller man assured. "And I didn't want you to worry. It was much later I found out it actually wasn't just a dream when Valdeghar told me about it. He wants me back", he huffed.

"What?"

"I thought about that dream after that and I if I'm right there are no other heir. At least not someone who grandfather would approve or the demons. And I have been given that impression that he knows what is going on, so..."

"No, wait", Laxus said his eyes widened. "He wants our kid?" he asked with a tone that was forced to stay calm.

Freed sighed and nodded. Ever and Bickslow seemed stunned, then they carefully looked at Laxus who had a throbbing vein in his neck as he clearly was ready to break something.

"If only that man knew what kind of an enemy he just made, baby", Bickslow grinned, but was sweating when looking at their boss. It had been a long time since they had seen Laxus that pissed.

"Sure he can't actually even think about trying to kidnap Freed or similar?" Ever said.

"Bad idea! Laxus is too strong!" Tiki dolls giggled.

"Zap!" Poppo said tumbling against Pippi.

"Ooof!" he groaned and dropped on the floor.

"Laxus! Laxus! Laxus!" others cheered twirling around Poppo.

Freed smiled looking at the small puppet theatre and then he looked at Laxus, who wasn't even listening what others said. He was just staring somewhere out of the window. There were tiny little sparks emitting from his hair.

"We won't let anything happen", the rune mage said, gently touching Laxus' arm. "Believe me, I'll do whatever I can so our child don't need to have anything to do with Zaldevils. And I know you will too."

"And we, baby", Bickslow grinned.

"Thank you", Freed smiled. But his smile slowly faded. "But this might get really dangerous. And it is a family issue, I shouldn't drag you guys in to it."

"That's more the reason for us to involve, sweetie", Ever chuckled. "You're our family. If he messes with you, he needs to be prepared to get turned into a stone."

"Oooh! Ever is scary!" 'babies' gasped and Freed laughed.

"I should have known you wouldn't just stand aside", he said. "But this is still dangerous. Even I don't know what grandfather can do. He might be old but according to Valdeghar, he is still very strong."

"So Valdeghar knows more about him?" Laxus grumbled finally.

"Seems so, yes", Freed nodded.

"I want to speak with him", Laxus said and that surprised Freed.

"With Valdeghar? I don't know if that is possible", Greenette said putting his teacup down. "Only once has he talked with me without me being asleep."

'We hear him', he suddenly heard a familiar whisper in his head and jolted. 'We can talk, if you let us out.'

"What?" Freed blinked and others looked confused.

'We can't talk much, but something. We like your friends and your mate, we can talk with them.'

"Really?" Freed said. "Are you sure you won't break the old contract? It is even more strict with you demons than us humans."

"Freed's cuckoo", 'babies' said, making Ever hush them.

'We wont. We know what we can or can't say', Valdeghar's voice assured in Freed's head.

He frowned slightly.

"Is it Valdeghar?" Ever asked.

"He says he would like to talk with you", Freed nodded.

"Then we talk", Laxus said. "Is it safe?"

"Yes. He says he can't tell much but something."

"Alright. Can you drag him out?"

Freed nodded and he shut his eyes, letting himself be taken over and he fell asleep.

Laxus, Ever and Bickslow watched how his form changed and the dark coat slipped over the broad sharp shoulders. Laxus had to quickly move from the couch that couldn't fit them both when Absolute Shadow was sitting on it. Suddenly the living room felt smaller when the demon much taller than Bickslow or Laxus was there among them.

Blue eyes opened and looked around.

"Good evening", Valdeghar said with his husky voice, with a small chuckle.

"Cool", Bicks grinned. "So you're Valdeghar, eh?"

"We are", the demon nodded.

He stood up from the couch that was dangerously creaking under his weight and he hit his head on the ceiling.

"Ow", he muttered and had to slightly crouch.

"It must feel cramped here", Ever chuckled.

"Thanks for saving us earlier, baby", Bickslow grinned. "We owe you one."

"Oh... That was nothing", Valdeghar said but he wasn't really good to disguise from his voice that he was quite flattered.

"Valdeghar is a hero!" 'babies' chirped. Valdeghar tilted his head slightly and carefully he poked one of the dolls with his dark finger, making them giggle.

"It's like you're getting bigger and bigger every time I see that form", Bicks cackled.

"When Freed takes our form, we are smaller", Valdeghar explained.

"Enough with the chitchat", Laxus growled.

He turned towards Valdeghar who decided it was safest if he just sat down beside the coffee table on the floor. That way he wouldn't break anything by accident.

"So what can you tell us about Lucados?" the dragon slayer asked. "Is it true? He's after our kid?"

"Since Freed already figured it out it is safe for us to tell you: Yes", the green maned demon said. "Zaldevils need a new heir who would step up after Freed."

"That's not gonna happen", Laxus sneered. "So what will happen to Zaldevils then?"

"The contract will stay on one hundred years after the family has lost their Lord, or if every one from the direct line with Zaldevil's blood in their veins dies."

"Freed told me his mother didn't have demons inside her."

"But she was the first born", Valdeghar said. "She had no siblings. And even if she would have had, it is not certain that demons would have still chosen anyone among them. Then next in the line is first born's first born, Freed. He was granted with the power of demons. He is the next Lord of the Zaldevil family. And next one is one of his children but if none of them are approved, it is again the first born's children next to be approved."

"I don't need any fucking demons to approve my kid or kids", Laxus snarled. "And neither does they need anything to do with Zaldevils, they are Dreyars, you got that?"

"Laxus", Ever said quickly. "Freed told you not to accuse Valdeghar of whatever Lucados is doing. He's on our side."

Laxus growled annoyed crossing his arms, looking away.

"We understand him", Valdeghar said. "But for demons in Zaldevil family, Freed is still the next Lord. But when he dies, if none of your offspring is brought to the Chamber of Demons where the ritual is held by demons, the old contract will break exactly hundred years later after his death and demons and Zaldevils are no longer tied together. But, if your child dies before they have children of their own and Freed can't provide another heir, the contract will also be nullified since he's the last in his family line with Zaldevil's blood in his veins. Without Zaldevils, there is no need to keep the old contract."

There was a silence in the living room after that. So there were only two options how to break the contract once and for all. One was really hard to achieve and it took much time, other one was something they definitely didn't want to happen.

"Then we just have to make sure no-one of our family goes even near that damn mansion", Laxus finally said. "I will destroy that place myself if that helps even a little bit."

"No mere mortal - or demon - can destroy that Chamber", Valdeghar said. "We know you're strong, Laxus. But we also know how that Chamber is made. Or to be more specific, it is not the Chamber that is the most important part of making connection with demons. It is the Artefact inside the Chamber. The Chamber is just a place strengthened by the necessary rituals that can bring out the Artefact's true power. If you have the Artefact and you can accomplish the rituals, you can create the 'Chamber' anywhere you want."

"How is it made?" Bicks asked.

"We can't tell that."

"What is that Artefact?"

"We can't tell that."

"Was the Artefact created by Freed's ancestors?" Ever asked.

"No. It was forgotten for a long, long time before Zaldevils found it."

"How did they find it?" Laxus asked.

"We can't tell that."

"When was it made?"

"Three thousand years ago", Valdeghar said.

"Wow, that is one really old artefact", Bicks said impressed. "Was there even civilizations then?"

"Of course there were, dumbass", Ever scolded. "You should learn something about the history."

"Okay, then you tell me about the history, if you know about it so much."

"It's not like I can tell it just like that what exact civilization it might be who created it", Ever tisked opening her fan. "It doesn't work that way."

"You just don't know. Freed would be able to tell us right away."

"That info is not relevant right now", Laxus grumbled. "Do you know anything about those demons who have been harassing Freed?" he asked looking at Valdeghar, who seemed to ponder a while was it safe to tell.

"We do", he finally said.

"What can you tell us about them?" Laxus asked.

"The one who uses surrealism magic is named Moranga, He Who Modifies. The one with the fog magic is named Jish-Ahrna. Whisper From Fog. They serve the Lord."

"Do you know if he might have other demons?" Laxus asked.

"We can't tell that."

"Goddammid, you fucking asshole!" Laxus roared shoving the whole coffee table aside against the bookshelf, making the dishes crash on the floor and some books and pictures dropped from the shelf. "We need actual answers here! Don't go acting like you're so good friend if you're not going to even fucking help us!" the lightning mage snarled orange eyes sparking angrily.

"Laxus, calm down!" Ever said quickly. "Freed said that Valdeghar are not allowed to answer everything. He can't help it."

Laxus growled rubbing his face annoyed and tried to calm his bouncing anger inside him. He was just so damn frustrated!

"We can tell you one thing", Valdeghar said. "About Lord's power. Freed needs to use his own body to give us form and use our power. Lord is skilled enough to give Moranga and Jish-Ahrna forms of their own. That's how powerful he is. That is all we are allowed to tell and rest you have to find out yourself. We must return now, Freed can't take this too long. Soon, we cannot share the body like this at all for a while. Not without risks."

"Thank you, Valdeghar", Ever smiled. "Don't take Laxus' anger personally, he's always like that when he gets frustrated", she assured and Laxus grumbled something. "But we are grateful of your help."

"Yeah, we know more now", Bicks smirked tucking out his tongue.

"We have been wondering, why do you do that?" Valdeghar asked now curiously looking at the seith mage.

"It's fun. You should try it."

The green maned demon stayed still for a moment, until he finally opened his mouth and long, purple tongue rolled out.

"We don't get it", he finally said after a moment of silence.

"Aw, that's alright, baby", Bickslow cackled. "It's still funny."

"Funny!" 'babies' giggled.

"Oh", Valdeghar said and he pulled his tongue back. "That's good."

"Hey, come talk with us again some day", Bickslow grinned. "You're a good guy, Valdeghar."

"Good guy! We like Valdeghar!" Tiki dolls cheered.

"We might", Valdeghar said and again he sounded flattered. "Some day. Now we go rest", he nodded and his blue eyes closed.

The big demon form vanished, leaving just Freed sitting on a floor and he almost tripped backwards but Laxus managed to catch him in time.

"Are you alright?" he asked softly.

"Yeah, just tired", Freed said. "And... Sick", he blurted, quickly tumbling on his feet and towards the bathroom.

"We have still lots to talk about, like what we should do", Ever said looking at Bickslow and Laxus.

"Yes", the lightning mage said. "But Freed doesn't need to know everything what Valdeghar said."

"Are you sure, baby?" Bicks asked concerned.

"What do you think he might do? He would probably try to destroy that artefact all by himself if he knew about it", Laxus said. "So it's better that we don't mention it."

Bickslow and Ever looked at each other, but silently nodded. That actually was what would probably happen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.1K 492 23
When you think of Fairy Tail, a certain set of names comes to mind right away. Laxus Dreyar, Erza Scarlet, Mystogan, and Shadow. The later two are kn...
79.8K 1.8K 20
You are a fire mage with unusual fire magic. You make the fire take shape and smell and taste like different things. (For example you can make a fire...
381K 8.1K 76
Young female reader joins Fairy Tail after losing her home and family. In search of a new start, she finds Fairy Tail. There will be some lemon. I do...
41.5K 886 22
Book 1 of Dragon Series: MIRAXUS Fairy Tail FanFic --- "MINE!" He growled possessively pulling me close to him. I trembled at his touch and the heat...