Tenebrous ↠ Volturi Kings {1}...

By LiveLaughLoki

Rowan Ailes has always taken solace in the comfort of darkness. It was darkness that pulled her into its embr... More

Summary
Cast
00
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
010
011
012
013
014
015
016
017
018
019
020
021
022
023
024
025
026
027
028
029
030
031
032
033
034
035
036
037
038
039
040
041
042
043
044
045
Epilogue
Sequel Announcement

01

60K 1.5K 601
By LiveLaughLoki

Italy was breathtaking. The circumstances of the visit could have been better - far, far better - but it was breathtaking nonetheless. I had never been to Italy during my four year stay with the Cullens, not even close, and I wasn't sure if I should be nervous for what the immediate future would hold.

Well, scratch that. I knew I should be nervous - terrified, really - as a human venturing into the heart of Volterra, but I didn't feel that way. Instead, I felt calmer the closer we drew to the city. It was a startling contrast to Bella who sat anxiously in the front seat, checking the time every few moments as the numbers grew closer to twelve. I had been punted to the back, as Alice was driving and still displeased at my insistence on coming with them.

Bella was a wreck, asking if we were close every other minute as she wrung her hands and dragged them through her hair. "Please tell me we'll be there soon!"

"We're close, Bella," Alice said calmly, as Volterra came into view. It was old, and beautiful, and I leaned forward to get a better look. "Put your seatbelt back on, Rowan."

I protested. "We're not going to crash! And Bella isn't wearing hers!"

"I don't care. Now put your seatbelt on," She said firmly. I grumbled and scooted back, pulling the seatbelt on.

We zipped through the streets of Volterra. Alice had one hand on the horn at all times, honking for others to get out of the way. As red-cloaked people began to crowd the streets, however, it was clear that we wouldn't be getting much further by car.

"Why are they all in red?" Bella asked anxiously.

"It's the St. Marcus Day festival. They're commemorating the expulsion of vampires from the city. It's the perfect setting. The Volturi will never let him get far enough to reveal himself."

I let out a quiet snort at Alice's explanation. The irony of the festival was not lost on me, considering the Marcus of the festival was a vampire who still resided within the city's walls.

Bella was all but tugging out her hair as she stared at the clock. "Five minutes."

Adrenaline began thrumming through me. If we didn't reach Edward in time, he would die. No if, ands, or buts. He was like a brother to me, and he was about to die. I gritted my teeth. "Please hurry, Alice."

"We're going to make it. Bella, just breathe," Alice said calmly, though I doubt she would be quite as calm if it were Jasper in this position. I didn't quite understand the attachment, without any sort of mate of my own, but I could sympathize and offer what help I could.

Alice skidded to a stop as the police prevented her from going any further. Bella leapt out of the car, glancing back at us imploringly. "Alice. Rowan."

"Bella, you're the only one he can't see coming. If we go he'll read our thoughts, he'll think we're lying, he'll rush into it."

Bella took a breath. "Where do I go?"

"The clock tower, now. Go!" Bella shut the door and ran off.

"Alice, what are we going to do?" I asked desperately.

"We're going to catch up with her, Rowan, don't worry," Alice said, turning the car around and parking it nearby. "Hurry, we have to interfere right after Bella reaches him."

I swung myself out of the car, running as fast as I could. "You should carry me."

"No, it's too obvious. We have to do it normal," Alice said.

I had gained on her by several paces before I realized she had stopped dead, eyes glazed over. "Alice? Now is not the time, come on!"

"I never should have brought you here," she whispered. "I was so focused on Edward that I..."

I felt my blood freeze in my veins but shoved the feeling aside. We would deal with the future as it came. "We can't do anything about it now. We have to go, Alice."

"Yes, you're right. But Rowan, you must promise me that as soon as we reach Bella and Edward you stay in the shadows. Stay out of sight," Alice said.

"Okay. Okay, I promise," I said, and we were off again. I concentrated on the feeling of my feet as they hit the ground rather than the burning, stabbing pain in my lungs that came from running too fast too quickly.

The clock boomed as it struck twelve, and I prayed that Bella made it in time. Still, we kept running. Alice pointed out the door. "There! Remember your promise, Rowan!"

Alice burst through the door, and the shadow the clock tower cast gave me just enough refuge. I disappeared, wrapped in the embrace of darkness. It hid me from them. It was a gift, like Bella's, that revealed itself even while I was human. I could harness it and it would hide me from threats. It always had, ever since I was young and my father drunkenly searched for me in the dark.

"C'mon guys," Alice said, taking off the cover she had over her head as soon as she was engulfed in the shade. She stepped lightly around Bella and Edward. I lurked behind them, unseen and undetected. "It's a festival. We wouldn't want to make a scene."

"No," The larger of the two vampires admitted begrudgingly. "We wouldn't."

"Enough." Another vampire, a girl much younger, appeared between them. I knew who she was at once - Jane, one half of a deadly whole.

"Jane," Edward said quietly, dipping his head.

She glanced at disapproval at the two vampires the Volturi had sent. "Aro sent me to see what was taking so long."

She didn't speak again, turning and walking away. Bella glanced questioningly at Alice as Edward began to follow. Alice spoke quietly, a silent warning in her tone. "Just do as she says."

I followed behind them like a ghost, sticking to where the shadows were the greatest. The castle wasn't extravagantly lit, likely because few humans ever ventured there, which made it easy. It was less easy when Jane threw open the doors to the throne room, which had windows high at the top that let light trickle in.

I glued myself into a crevice by the wall, where the shadows were thickest, with the distinct knowledge that this was by far the most dangerous thing I had ever done. Alec spoke. "Sister. I send you out to get one and you bring back two... and a half. Such a clever girl."

The door clanked shut as Jane reunited with her brother, and my attention was drawn away from them and towards the three vampire kings and their thrones. They were all strikingly, hauntingly beautiful, alluring in a way that other vampires were not. I was so lost in this that I took a step forward, seconds from revealing myself before my sense returned and I slunk silently back into the comfort of the shadows.

Aro was in the middle, the only one of the three kings standing. He approached Bella and Edward as he spoke. "What a happy surprise! Bella is alive after all. Isn't that wonderful. I love a happy ending. They are so rare."

I remembered Aro's ability of tactile telepathy as he took Edward's hand from Bella. He gasped as he read Edward's thoughts. "La tua cantante. Her blood appeals to you so much. It makes me thirsty. How can you stand to be so close to her?"

Edward was stiff in his response. "It's not without difficulty."

"Yes, I can see that," Aro said, laughing slightly. I hadn't seen him stop smiling since we had arrived, and however eccentric it was, it suited him.

"Aro can read every thought I've ever had with one touch," Edward explained to Bella. He addressed Aro once more. "And now you know everything. So get on with it."

"You're quite the soul reader yourself, Edward. Though you can't read Bella's thoughts. Fascinating!" He finally released Edward's hand, stepping back. "I would love to see if you are an exception to my gifts as well. Would you do me the honor?"

Aro extended a hand, though his dangerous tone said that it wasn't so much a choice as it was a command. His presence was a calming one to me, as were the other two kings', but still, I shrank back. Bella had more courage than I would have in that moment, stepping forward and placing her hand in Aro's.

I took the chance to glance at Marcus and Caius, still seated in their thrones but watching with interest. I had the desire to step out again and be seen, for a reason within myself I couldn't quite identify. I froze as Marcus' gaze landed on my corner - he couldn't possibly have seen me, could he? - but then he looked away, evidently disappointed. I felt guilty, though the explanation for this feeling was lost to me. I was broken out of my thoughts as Aro spoke once more.

"Interesting. I see nothing." Aro released her and turned away, deep in thought. "I wonder... let us see if she is immune to all our powers. Shall we, Jane?"

I instantly realized what he was about to do, and prayed that Bella was as immune as Aro seemed to suspect. Edward lunged forward. "No!"

"Pain." Jane didn't even blink, and Edward was on the ground.

"Stop!" Bella cried, running forward. Alec darted out to grab her, holding her back. "No, please, stop! Just stop hurting him please, please!"

I was close to revealing myself, moments from it, just to halt the pain that Edward was in, when Aro looked towards Jane. "Jane?"

Edward gasped, and Jane looked obediently to Aro. "Master."

"Go ahead, my dear." He gave her permission to test her gifts on Bella, and while I wanted to stop her my instincts told me to stop. Wait.

"This may hurt just a little," Jane said, turning her gaze to Bella. I almost cried in relief when nothing happened.

Aro laughed incredulously, clapping his hands together. "Remarkable! She confounds us all. So. What do we do with you now?"

"You already know what you're going to do, Aro," Marcus said. He was still scanning the room, for once interested in something, though it wasn't in the proceedings taking place. I wasn't sure what he was looking for, as no one besides Alice knew I was here and I was still safely shielded within the shadows.

Caius spoke, then. "She knows too much. She's a liability."

Aro let out a disappointed hum. "That's true. Felix?"

Several things then happened in quick succession: Alec left Bella's side and Edward took his place, guarding her from Felix. Edward charged forward before the larger vampire had the chance to, and Alice went to intervene until the other vampire that had escorted us in - Demetri - grabbed her, keeping her in place.

Edward only had initial shock value on his side and Felix easily gained the upper hand, sending him flying before slamming him so harshly into the floor that it cracked both the floor and Edward. Assured he was for the moment dealt with, Felix stood, turning to Bella now that Edward was out of the way.

I had moments, mere moments, to decide: wait, or reveal myself? I could hear my heart drumming wildly in my chest, saw Edward's still, stunned form and Felix, his bloodthirsty gaze focused on Bella.

I steeled my courage and emerged from the shadows, bellowing with all the confidence I had learned from Emmett, "Stop!"

Edward had shot up, but Felix was no longer interested in either he or Bella - nor were any of the kings, who were staring at me with unadulterated shock. And for several moments, everything was still.

Completely and utterly still.

Edited 4/16/2021

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 28.1K 25
in which a girl with eyes filled with innocence and veins filled with power is mated to the volturi kings and their trusted guards • " butterflies ca...
478K 14.8K 41
"If I hug you are you going to eat me?" "My brothers would be very unhappy with me were I to do so." "That was really a ye...
2.9M 92.2K 59
❝ 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗦 𝗜𝗦 𝗡𝗢𝗧 𝗔 𝗙𝗔𝗜𝗥𝗬𝗧𝗔𝗟𝗘- 𝗜𝗠 𝗡𝗢𝗧 𝗔 𝗣𝗥𝗜𝗡𝗖𝗘𝗦𝗦 𝗪𝗔𝗜𝗧𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗧𝗢 𝗕𝗘 𝗥𝗘𝗦𝗖𝗨𝗘𝗗 𝗕𝗬 𝗦𝗢𝗠𝗘 𝗟𝗢𝗩𝗘𝗦𝗧𝗥𝗨�...
3M 78.9K 111
She's got the eyes of innocence, The face of an angel, A personality of a dreamer And a smile that hides more pain, Than you can ever imagine. #1 bel...