A Spark of Change (Tvd/teenwo...

By DanceAcrosspaper

At 17, Charlie Stilinski has too much blood on her hands. Leaving behind Beacon Hills for a much needed break... More

Before You Read
Please, Just Let Me Go
New Arrivals
A Mundane Life
A Night of Drinking
An Afternoon of Bonding

Shock, Tremble and Awe

352 16 4
By DanceAcrosspaper

Her Spark hums.

It isn't unusual for it to do so, but as she sits in her history class, she can't really explain why it is. It isn't the humming of any of her bonds. No, those she can recognize. This vibration is deeper than just beneath her skin.

It's her Spark that hums.

And that makes all the difference.

It isn't until she hears Tanner say the first legitimately helpful words she's ever heard him say that she realizes.

"One hundred and forty five years ago, the comet passed over Mystic Falls..."

A comet.

A fucking comet.

Fuck all of the Heavenly bodies and all that comes with them

***

Superstition.

It's the only word written on the board when Stefan takes his seat in Philosophy. He doesn't believe in all of the nonsense about cosmic influence affecting their way of life. Curious, he glances over to the unusually silent brunette.

Charlie Stilinski had barely spoken a word all day. Not even Tanner's bullying tactics could get her to speak. Even now, she sits, leaning back in her seat, arms crossed over her chest and eyes staring blankly at the board without actually seeing anything.

She isn't doodling in her notebook or texting on her phone. She is silent and she is still.

And it causes a shiver to crawl up Stefan's spine.

"Today, we are going to discuss superstitious beliefs and if they actually hold any significant weight to our lives."

It seems to have become the usual way this class goes. Students immediately start debating over different philosophies and ideals, and both Stefan and Charlie remain silent.

Until.

"Charlie?"

The brunette blinks, visibly coming out of her thoughts, "Yes, ma'am?"

"You usually interject with your thoughts by now. Are you alright?"

The obvious concern doesn't have any affect on the girl's expression as she nods slowly, "I'm fine. We are dicussing whether or not cosmic occurrences have any affect on our lives, or if they just...exist."

"And you're thoughts?"

"There's far too many stories, legends and myths that show that certain celestial calamities do have an influence on our lives. In fact, there wouldn't be life at all if we didn't have the Sun, to give us warmth, light and energy. There is a fundamental belief that even the Moon, throughout all phases, has different effects on us. Much like the idea that weirder things are bound to happen on a Full Moon night than any other."

"That's just a scary story parents tell their kids to make them stay inside at night."

Charlie doesn't even look away from the board, her head tilting, "Is it? There are beliefs that a Full Moon displays a significant amount of metaphysical energy that flows through each and everyone of us."

"I can even give you examples. My Pops is the Sheriff back in my hometown, and he says that it is always like clock work that his craziest stories often happen on a Full Moon night. The woman who helped raise me after my mom died is a nurse and she says that there are more injuries and more fatalities that occur on the night of a Full Moon."

"If a celestial body, like our Moon, can affect the very push and pull tides of our seas, then what's to say that it doesn't affect the very push and pull flow within our very bodies. Many cultures believe that, much like the circulatory system, our bodies carry a flow of natural energy that flows from our very center and goes outward, instead of being recycled. So, if the Moon affects something as massive as our very oceans, what's to say that it doesn't affect the energy that flows from us?"

"What about this comet? Do you believe it is some...herald of doom?"

Stefan's question finally causes her gaze to turn away from the board, but her eyes do not sparkle as they usually do, nor does she even smile at him, "No. I don't think it is a herald of doom." Triumph flickers through Stefan briefly before the brunette continues, "Do I believe that maybe, at some point in times of old, that people may have found a way to use whatever energy the comet gives off in order to cause such doom? Now that is possible."

"People can't manipulate energy."

Her dull look turns to the girl that speaks, "Humans manipulate energy every single day, in several different capacities. Or do you not use any form of electricity? No electronic devices? Do you eat food? Which is then naturally broken down in order to produce the right chemicals and material needed to give your body energy to even function?" At the lack of an answer, she nods as if she had been answered, "There you have it. See, modern times have stripped people of the older ways people may have taken to conserving and producing energy. It is very possible that there is something that each cosmic occurrence gives us. The Sun, the Moon, Planetary Alignments, and even Comets are said to cause a shift in the Earth's atmosphere. Were people capable of naturally harvesting that energy for their own needs? Who knows."

"So you think the comet is a bad omen?"

"No. The comet just is. People are the bad omen."

Stefan shivers at the cold, decisive, matter of fact tone in Charlie's voice. In the short time he has known the girl, and while he may not know her well, he has never witnessed such a stark icy quality to her person. She genuinely blames people for the wrongs in the world, not some higher power or mystical cosmic event.

"So you believe, even though there could be some superstitious, mystical occurrence during events like an eclipse or the passing of a comet, you believe people abuse that?"

Charlie gives their teacher a dead eyed stare before saying, "Of course people abuse that. Humanity often thirsts for power, in whatever capacity that it may be. It doesn't matter the reason for their desire, whether they want to be superior or if they want to protect others, the thirst for more is always there."

"What would you choose?" Stefan asks, once again becoming the focus of those blank eyes. "Power for strength or protection?"

She scoffs, her stoic expression shifting into an affronted, offended look, "Seriously? Both. I'd want power at my fingertips so I can protect those I cherish, and I want the strength to rip them apart."

When the bell rings, Charlie is quick to slip out of the room and Stefan rushes to check up on the girl. Catching her by the wrist, he doesn't expect her to switch their holds around so she is the one gripping him, as she pivots around on her heel. The unneeded breath in his lungs whooshes out as his back slams into the nearby locker, an arm pressing against his throat and golden jade eyes glaring up at him in a way that makes him fight down the monster within.

"I don't remember giving you permission to touch me."

The words are hissed out of her lips from behind her bared teeth and his undead heart thumps painfully in his chest, "I'm sorry, Charlie."

"You think I'm the one you owe an apology to? Do you know what typically happens when an insecure teenage girl gathers the courage to confront her feelings and puts herself out there only to be so callously rejected as if she doesn't warrant a single thought?" Stefan's heart thumps faster as he listens to her cold, icy voice.

"Do you know what happens when that said insecure teenager is constantly looked over, constantly mocked for always being positive and constantly belittled because she just so happens to be exceptionally beautiful? To be made to always feel as though her feelings don't matter? Do you know what happens when you fucking people don't actually think of how your words and how they are said affects another person?"

Stefan swallows thickly, his gaze flicking toward the audience this moment has gained, "Charlie...you're making a scene."

She grips him by the collar of his shirt and jerks him forward, their faces only inches apart and Stefan feels an odd tug in his stomach as he finds himself staring into her eyes, silently wondering if she always had the light flecks of grey in her eyes.

"Is that seriously the only thing you have to say? Does it look like I give a fuck what you people all think?"

Stefan struggles to contain himself as the human girl slams him back against the lockers, her words dropping to a soft whisper, "Think about it, Salvatore. What do you think happens when an insecure teenage girl grows tired of constantly being treated as though she's a nuisance? As if her very person is a bother? Her mother? Those stupid fuckers she calls friends? To any potential meathead that refuses to see beneath the pretty exterior? What do you think happens when it becomes too much?"

The cold fury doesn't fade even as the girl shoves herself away from him, "That insecure, pretty teenage girl? Yeah, she died yesterday after it all became too much."

Stefan shudders as his mind wanders to the blonde teenager from the party. The bubbly blonde he rudely dismissed without even a thought. Surely someone would have heard about her by now. The girl's mother is the Sheriff. Elena surely would have said something.

There's a tightness in his chest as he looks up at the brunette glaring at him with so much contempt he can't help but wonder if his last words to Caroline Forbes were the final nail in her coffin.

"Lottie!!"

A rush of relief causes the mounting tightness in his chest to fade and the look of disgust that twists on Charlie's face disappears as she turns to face the concerned blonde shoving her way through people.

"Sorry, Princess. I was teaching Salvatore a lesson on how to treat a girl."

He is left, slumped against the lockers as the two girls saunter away without a glance in his direction.

Maybe considering her a newfound friend was a bit too soon.

***

Looking up as the door slams, Peter immediately leaps to his feet when he sees Charlie leaning against the door, her body trembling and fingers sparking blue along the tips. Cutting the distance between them, he frowns when she flinches back from his attempt at reaching out to her.

"What's wrong, Pup?"

"A fucking comet."

The words are gasped painfully, her trembling, sparking hand raising to clench at the front of her shirt.

"We've never been confronted with how a comet affects you."

"P- Peter it's too much. I...I can't fucking breathe. I need to..."

Peter's fingers twitch with the desire to comfort his pack mate, "What do you need?"

"I need to...fuck...or fight," Her tightly closed eyes flutter open, revealing the growing gleam of silver in her irises.

"Well then, darling, let us fight."

Without a second of hesitation, her body launches toward him like a freight train.

***

There's an odd tightness in Caroline's chest, something pulling her away from the crowd of people in the square. She rattles off an excuse as she makes her way to her car, unable to resist the tugging sensation.

She doesn't realize what's wrong until she's parked in front of the Hale Manor. Ringing the doorbell, she waits, anxiety eating at her nerves before the door opens and a disheveled Peter Hale stands before her.

"Miss Forbes. What brings you here?"

She shrugs, peeking down at her shoes, "I don't know. It's just...I've been feeling odd all day and Lottie hasn't been herself and I was worried and you look like shit and now I'm more concerned."

There's a moment of stretched silence before Peter pulls the door open more, stepping to the side with a sweep of an arm. Stepping into the beautiful house, Caroline follows Peter and a gasp leaves her lips at the sight of a bruised and slightly battered brunette holding a wet paper towel to her bleeding lip.

"Oh my God. Lottie are you okay?"

Lottie's eyes are lighter than usual and gleam with shame as they drop to stare at the breakfast bar.

"She...had an episode."

Peter's words are hesitant as he glances at the somber girl and Caroline is unable to keep herself from asking, "Episode?"

"PTSD."

Of course. The fact that she almost got into a fight with Stefan Salvatore was no way ordinary. The heavy tension the brunette carried all day through school. The constant silence.

"Lottie," Caroline carefully takes a step toward the girl who still had yet to speak or look up. "I personally have no idea what you are going through, but...is there anything I can do to help? After all you've done for me in the little time that we've known each other, there has to be something I can do to help you out."

Lottie slowly looks up at the blonde, her body trembling, "There's no fixing this shit, Caroline."

"I'm not asking to help you out with your episodes or whatever because I wouldn't know the first thing about helping with those. I mean, if your episode is passed, is there anything I can do to help you now?"

Something inside Caroline relaxes when Lottie's eyes soften and her body slumps forward, allowing her forehead to rest on Caroline's shoulder.

"Just...stay. People rarely ever stay. "

Realizing it's her turn to take care of her friend, Caroline carefully wraps her arms around the weary girl.

"Alright, Lottie. I will stay."

Surprisingly, Lottie laces their fingers together before sliding off of the stool. Peter instantly wraps the girl into a hug of his own and Caroline can't help but admire the muscles of his arms and shoulders. He presses a kiss to the top of her head before ushering the two of them out of the kitchen. Lottie leads the blonde up two flights of stairs, but tugs her to a door across from her bedroom.

"Here."

Caroline gasps at the sight of light blue and pale yellow decorating the walls. Everything she had picked out during their shopping trip fills the room, the deep brown wooden bedroom set contrasting against the pale blue, yellow and orange colors in the room.

"What?"

"Well, I know your mom is often busy and it can be lonely being in a house by yourself. I figured if you were going to stick around, you might as well have your own space for when you come and go."

Caroline's eyes burn, prickling with tears as she turns to the sheepish looking brunette, "You...gave me a room?"

At the girl's nod, Caroline squeals before launching herself at her friend.

"Oh my God, Lottie. No one has ever done something like this for me."

The first genuine smile of the day crosses Lottie's lips and for the first time, Caroline thinks she might have just become someone's first choice.

And it's that very thought that makes the tears fall from her eyes.

***
Author's Note: In no way am I making light of PTSD or anxiety issues, and while Charlie does have those issues, that isn't what actually happened and Peter obviously needed to use something close enough to the truth to explain without telling the entire truth. Again, I'm not making light of any mental or emotional issues.

And yes, the confrontation with Stefan might seem out of character, but he couldn't really react like a vampire in a hallway crowded with humans and I really wanted to show how much I really dislike the way Caroline was treated in season one. Because honestly, all of her friends lying, hiding shit, her being a victim of abuse and treated like she's only an afterthought up until she is turned? And then she becomes important to the others? I'm sorry, but the average teenage girl who is treated like that could end up severely depressed and I wanted Charlie to prove a point about how actions and how we treat others actually matters.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

251K 6.1K 50
( 𝐒𝐀𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐀 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍𝐀𝐆𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐂𝐇² ) Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under it. ©salemshouse derek hale
220K 5K 35
Alison is 19 years old and she used to live in Mystic Falls with her godfather Zach back when she was 17, now she is coming back, but where is Zach...
47K 165 44
All Original Works. Do not steal my work! No requests on here. @starshipsofstarlord on tumblr * = smut (all smut is 18+ minors dni)
248K 5K 64
......... "You have a sister!" ~ Jenna Sommers "You are exquisite." ~ Elijah Mikaelson "You are my humanity." ...