Capture My Heart

By DivineRomance

When a suitor comes hoping to win Princess Suzanna's heart, her whole world is turned upside down. With a rep... More

Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Five

2K 229 24
By DivineRomance

Yes, it is true, you are not dreaming. I am alive and have posted again after FOUR MONTHS!! I lost motivation and inspiration to write for a loooooong time. I'm sorry to everyone who has been waiting - I have seen every single comment and message asking me to update.
Thank you all sooo much for being so supportive and patient!
XX Divine Romance.

~~~

Suzanna had just pulled herself out of the hidden passageway in the library when she heard voices drawing closer. Panicking, she pulled the trapdoor closed rather loudly and ran to the opposite side of the room, brushing down her dress as she hurried.

She paused and held her breath, trying to make out the words.

"...heard footsteps... no sign... dungeon..."

Suzanna released a small gasp and pressed herself against the wall. They had heard her in the dungeon with Sarah.

"Check the princess," another voice replied.

Suzanna grabbed the book nearest to her and opened it, pretending to have been scanning the pages. The doors to the library opened and a guard peeked his head inside. Suzanna looked up innocently and closed the book.

"Can I help you, sir?" she asked.

The man hesitated, scanning the room. "Nay. I am sorry to disturb you, my lady. We had not heard any noise from the library in some time." The man looked at her suspiciously and Suzanna gave him her brightest smile.

"Reading is not often a loud task."

"Aye, of course. I will not disturb you any longer. Forgive me. Farewell." He bowed his head and left the room, closing the door behind him. Suzanna sighed and leaned back against the wall, holding the book against her chest.

She breathed slowly, trying to ease her nerves.

Sarah was trapped and Wilson was nowhere to be found. She had heard no news about Samuel; she hoped that meant he had evaded Caden's trap. Suzanna placed the book back on the shelf and slowly meandered to the library doors. She did not know what her next step should be. Where, oh where, was Samuel?

She left the library, ignoring the stares of the guards, and walked aimlessly down the hallway. She did not care where she might end up - the guards would stop her if she walked somewhere she was not allowed. Suzanna briefly wondered if Caden was expecting to keep her under the same level of captivity when - if - they were married.

Suzanna was walking past the kitchen when she heard a familiar voice - Caden. She frowned. He had said he was going to the village, although it did not truly surprise her that he had lied. Suzanna looked around. There were no guards stationed nearby.

She leaned her head against the door to the kitchen, straining to hear. All the sounds were muffled. Suzanna bit her lip. She had to know what he was saying - what if he gave vital information about Wilson or his plan? What if he was talking about Samuel or one of her siblings?

Carefully, she raised her hand to the door handle and slowly began pushing it down. When she had pushed the handle down as far as it needed, she inched the door open ever so slightly. She took her hand away and held her breath. As far as she could tell, no one had noticed her.

The door was open just enough for her to be able to peek inside with one eye. She looked through and could just make out Caden, though she could not see who he was speaking to.

"He is very weak, my lord," the mystery voice said.

"How much longer do you predict?" Caden asked.

"A couple of days, maybe less."

"Can he stand?"

"Not without help," the mystery voice confessed.

Suzanna's heart pounded. She had the horrible suspicion they were talking about Wilson. Was he ill? She prayed with everything in her that the men would give her a hint about where Wilson was being kept.

"I have no more use for him, the princess will be married to me soon enough," Caden announced.

"What would you have me do with him?"

"Leave him by the river, do not bother moving him. Let the cold air finish him off."

Suzanna's eyes widened. She could not fathom the heartlessness of Caden. If they were talking about Wilson, then he was in need of help - desperately.

"Long live Wilson, Duke of Adryrwen," Caden said with a dark laugh. Suzanna held back a wince and took a hesitant step away from the door.

"You! What do you think you are doing?" a voice shouted.

Suzanna whipped her head around, seeing a guard walking quickly to her. She looked back at the kitchen and nearly screamed as the door was yanked open, revealing a furious Caden.

Suzanna turned and tried to run, but he caught her before she had taken four steps. Crying out, she was pulled to a sudden stop.

"Let me go," she begged.

"Eavesdropping, princess?" Caden asked darkly. He began walking, pulling her along easily, even as she wrestled to pull her wrist away.

"Stop!" she cried, his grip painfully tight.

"I am beginning to think you are more trouble than useful to me," Caden muttered.

"I am beginning to think you are just a coward who has everyone else do his dirty work!" Suzanna shot back, regretting it as soon as she had spoken.

Caden slapped her violently, a ring on his hand cutting into her skin. Suzanna blinked back tears as she felt a drop of blood trickle down her cheek.

"How very impressive, you barely flinched," Caden said dryly. He was pulling her along again.

Suzanna dug her heels into the stone floor but Caden only pulled her along harder.

They were nearing a candle, held in place by its sconce on the wall. Suzanna reached out at the last moment, grabbing onto the sconce.

She winced as hot wax leaked onto her skin, burning her. Caden was pulled back by her sudden stop.

"Let go," he commanded. Suzanna only held on tighter. Caden tugged at her once more. The sconce snapped off from the wall, sending Suzanna flying towards Caden's direction.

Without thinking, she raised the sconce and thumped it against his head, just as he was raising his arm to ward off the attack. Caden fell to the floor with a heavy thud. Suzanna froze, her mouth open and heart racing. She had just knocked a man unconscious.

I'm sorry, Jesus.

She wasted no time in running for dear life all the way into the library, which was - luckily - unguarded at that moment. Suzanna dropped the sconce and dashed over to the fireplace, pulling at the engraved brick. The trapdoor popped open and Suzanna lifted it up, taking a candle before she jumped down.

She did not stay to watch the trapdoor shut as she ran down the secret passageway. Suzanna paused as she came to the fork. She looked down to the left - the way that would lead her back to Sarah. She would have to leave her there for now. Caden was far too dangerous and this could be her only opportunity to run away.

"Forgive me, Sarah," she whispered. Suzanna turned to the right and ran, nearly stumbling on a loose rock. By the time she had reached the end, she was panting heavily and felt exhausted.

In the dim light of the candle, she could see another engraved brick. She pressed it and heard the quiet clicking noise of the locking mechanism. Suzanna pushed against the wall, realising it was another trapdoor, only this one was disguised to look like stone. It moved away and she slid through the gap, closing the door behind her.

She was in a cave, she realised. The trapdoor was hidden back deep in the shadows. Suzanna blew out her candle and walked forward, nearing the light. She stayed near the edge of the cave wall, peeking out of the opening. Thick, dark clouds lined the sky, threatening a storm.

It looked like she was on the edge of the duchy. In front of her were mostly trees that would only grow thicker into a forest. To her right stood the blacksmith's building and the stables.

Stables!

There were a few people around, but as far as she could tell there were no guards. They were probably trying to help Caden. Suzanna sucked in a breath and sprinted for the stables, ignoring the few people who made exclamations as the wild redhead ran past them.

Suzanna entered the stables, briefly acknowledging the stable boy's astonished look. He was holding onto the bridle of a chestnut mare. Saddled and ready to go. Suzanna eyed the stable boy. She did not have time to explain.

She ran up to the horse, pulling herself up into the saddle much to the protests of the stable boy. He pulled on her leg, trying to knock her off the horse.

"My name is Princess Suzanna and I need this horse. I am sorry, I'll return her as soon as I can," Suzanna promised the boy. She reached down and pulled the bridle straps away from him. The boy looked doubtful and in shock. Suzanna did not spare him another look.

She urged the horse into a trot, then a gallop as she exited the stables.

"Izah!" the stable boy called out a moment later, as if being pulled back into reality. "Someone just stole Izah!"

Shouts resounded as the boy cried his alarm. Suzanna looked over her shoulder. There was no one pursuing her yet but they would surely not be far behind her. Suzanna directed Izah towards the woods. Dark green trees were far off in the distance, stretching farther than her eyes could see. The sky seemed to be darkening at a rapid rate, the dark clouds drawing closer to the duchy. The woods would be her best chance at staying hidden... and deep down she hoped she would somehow find Wilson there. After all, Caden could not simply dump Wilson around places of vibrant civilization.

Minutes later, shouts could be heard from behind her. Suzanna looked behind her once again and gasped. At least five men on horseback were chasing after her, swords held high. They would surely attack her if they came too close. Suzanna's heart sped up immediately, fear and adrenaline racing through her.

Father God, help me!

She held back terrified tears as she urged Izah to go even faster. Izah sped up almost eagerly. The shouting grew louder as Suzanna raced towards the woods, the wind blowing in her face so severely that her cheeks stung.

Suzanna turned her head again; it looked like the men were gaining on her.

"Faster, Izah!" Suzanna shouted. The woods seemed so far, how could she possibly reach them safely? There was a loud thunder clap, then rain began pouring down, soaking Suzanna to the bone. Her breath came out in visible puffs with each rapid, fear-filled exhale.

Lightning lit up the dark clouds, temporarily blinding her. Izah snorted nervously with each flash. The men were gaining on her - she would not be able to outrun them. Her legs ached from the effort of holding on to Izah.

"Jesus, help me!" she begged. Her eyes filled with tears as she thought about being dragged back to Caden.

To the river, a still, small voice whispered. Suzanna did not give herself the chance to question whether it was only her own thoughts. It was as good as an idea as any.

She looked around desperately, the darkness from the storm making it hard to see the scenery. A sudden lightning flash lit up the sky for a few seconds and Suzanna immediately scanned the land around her.

There! In the distance! She could see a large river towards the east, with a long, rope bridge stretching across the rising water.

Suzanna urged Izah towards the bridge. She looked back and realised the five men were still drawing closer. It would be close. The bridge was near now and as she drew closer, she realised how rickety the old structure looked. Surely it would collapse under the weight of Izah.

I would rather fall into the water than fall into the hands of these men, Suzanna told herself.

"Go, go," she said to Izah, who nickered in response to her voice. They were about to cross.

Suzanna let out a small squeal of both terror and relief as Izah raced across the bridge. It wobbled precariously underneath their weight but held nonetheless.

They charged onto the ground, nearing the entrance of the woods. Were they safe now? Suzanna slowed Izah down and turned her body in the saddle to see what would happen.

The rope bridge was rocking dangerously, evidently from Izah crossing it so fast. The men chasing her slowed down and formed a line. In single file, they began crossing the rocking bridge at a slow pace, their horses taking nervous steps along the wooden panels.

Suzanna watched, almost in surprise, as all five of them manage to fit on the bridge.

Now what?

She was preparing to nudge Izah into another gallop when the snapping of rope fibres broke through the noise of the rain. The men shouted and began panicking. The bridge wobbled once, twice, tipped slightly to one side, then buckled in the middle and collapsed. Shouts of surprise echoed from the men as they plummeted into the river below them. It was not a long drop, but the current was fast and the river cold.

Their horses bolted from the icy water, dragging some of the riders along with them. Suzanna released a quiet laugh at the sight of the men scrambling and groaning. She imagined they would not be a risk anymore. She turned Izah and continued riding at a fast pace, heading straight for the woods.

The river ran through the woods and Suzanna decided to follow it. The clouds still darkened the sky, but she could still make out her surroundings, even through the rain. She would need to find a safe place to stay soon, before night fell.

As Izah walked, Suzanna's eyes landed on a distinct shape.

"No..."

It couldn't be... could it?

Suzanna jumped off Izah and ran to the body, rolling it over.

"Wilson!" she cried.

The man uttered a quiet groan in response. The relief was so great, Suzanna felt the breath sucked out of her.

He looked so frail and cold. His cheeks were hollow and crusted lips nearly blue from the icy weather. Dehydration and starvation were evident on his body. There were a few cuts on his skin, but despite it all, Suzanna knew she was staring at the rightful Duke of Adryrwen. His eyes were closed and his breathing seemed very shallow.

Suzanna ran back to Izah and pulled open a saddle bag, hoping there would be something inside. Her eyes landed on a thin, woollen blanket. It would not do much, but it would help a little. She dropped back down to Wilson, wrapping him in the blanket as much as she could.

Her hands landed on one of his shoulders and she squeezed it lightly.

"Wilson, can you hear me?"

He gave a quiet, indecipherable murmur in response. A drop of rain landed on his lips and slowly he opened his mouth, as if asking for more. Suzanna rummaged through the saddle bag again, finding a small flask. She opened it and sniffed it... no distinct odour. Hesitantly, she tipped it until a drop landed on her figure. She tasted it, at that moment half expecting it to be some form of poison.

But it was water - safe and clean. For a moment she felt bad for stealing Izah and the belongings in the saddle bag. She made a mental note to make sure to return Izah to her rightful owner, along with a generous reimbursement.

Suzanna managed to lift Wilson's head a little, and gently she leaned the flask against his mouth until a trickle of water began to flow. Wilson drank slowly, seeming mostly incoherent. His eyes never opened. When he choked on the water and coughed a few times, Suzanna stopped the flow of water. Her hands shook with fear. She was in the woods, it was turning dark, she had an injured man who could neither talk or walk, and she had no shelter.

What am I going to do?

Realising there was little she could do other than wait and hope Wilson would properly awaken, Suzanna pulled Izah closer, hoping the horse would shield them from the wind a little. She shivered from her rain-soaked clothes, but she did not dare to take Wilson's blanket from him.

Suzanna rested her hand on his forehead. Ice cold. She was not sure whether to be happy that he did not seem to have a fever, or devastated that there was so little life left in him.

"Wilson," Suzanna tried again. "It's Suzanna. Can you hear me? Can you open your eyes?"

She waited for a moment, feeling hope drain from her, when Wilson sounded another groan and his eyes flickered.

"Suz..." he whispered, briefly managing to open his eyes before they closed once more. Suzanna patted his cheek gently.

"Stay with me, Wilson. I need your help."

"Try," he murmured.

Suzanna felt tears flood to her eyes. "Wake up, please," she begged.

"Mm..."

His breathing became deeper and she guessed he had fallen unconscious. Suzanna brushed her hand against his cheek, staring down at him. Once upon a time she had thought him to be terribly handsome. Until Samuel. More than anything she wished Samuel were here. What did she know about surviving in the woods or healing a sick person? Not to mention, Sarah was still trapped in the dungeon. Everything was going horribly wrong. Samuel would have known what to do.

"I wish you were here," she whispered to the silence.

She was not sure how much time had passed. After trying very unsuccessfully to lift Wilson onto Izah, Suzanna remained seated with him. She tried not to think about the fast approaching darkness, or the bitter cold that had her shivering violently.

Just as her own eyes began drooping, Wilson murmured again. Suzanna's eyes shot open, her mind immediately awake.

"Wilson?"

Wilson coughed then slowly his hazel eyes opened. He stared at her for a moment, no recognition evident on his expression. Then he frowned, almost in disbelief. "Suzanna?" he asked doubtfully.

Suzanna could have laughed from her delight, but she was so cold she could not muster up the energy. "Yes," she responded simply.

He seemed more coherent now, although clearly very weak. His eyes closed briefly. "How did you find me?" he asked, once he was looking at her again.

"I promise I'll tell you, but you have to help me. Can you stand?"

Wilson moved slowly, his arms shaking as he tried to push himself up into a sitting position.

"You'll have to assist me," he said, looking ashamed. Suzanna smiled and stood up, holding out her hands and bracing herself. Wilson took her hands and Suzanna pulled. The effort of helping him stand left her panting for breath - but even worse was seeing the pale colour of Wilson's face.

"Are you feeling faint?" she asked.

"It's fine," he groaned. He leant against her and very, very slowly, they made their way over to Izah. With an enormous struggle, Wilson managed to climb on to Izah, crying out weakly as he did so. He stayed still, slumped in the saddle for a whole minute before he managed to look at Suzanna.

"We need shelter," she told him.

Wilson raised a weak arm. "That way. There is an abandoned cottage. I was trying to make it there when I collapsed."

Suzanna tugged Izah along, walking slowly while Wilson did his best to remain upright. By the time the cottage had come into sight, sweat beaded his forehead and his breath was coming out in pants. Suzanna watched him with great concern.

She walked to the rickety old door and opened it with ease. The air inside was just as freezing, but as she scanned the darkened room she could see a fireplace, a stack of wood, and a bed. Wilson would be comfortable.

Wilson slid off Izah and Suzanna managed to catch him, trying to hold up as much of his weight as possible. Wilson stood up properly, leaning against her as they walked into the cottage. She led him straight to the bed. He laid down, his eyes fluttering shut, and was immediately asleep.

Suzanna unsaddled Izah and tethered her under shelter. She hoped the horse would be content with grazing on grass for now.

It was nearly night now. Suzanna went inside and closed the door. It did not have a working lock, so she pushed a cupboard in front of the door - better safe than sorry.

She needed fire and light, before it was too dark to see anything at all. Suzanna knelt by the fireplace and peered inside.

She had never made a fire herself, but she had watched her maids enough - surely she would be able to figure it out. She placed sticks and small pieces of bark together, then began to strike the flint. She barely made a spark. Suzanna bit her lip, for a moment feeling hopeless. The servants always made it look so easy.

"Again," she told herself.

She tried and tried until her hands hurt and her eyes were watery. Just as she was about to give up, a spark flared up and caught on the sticks.

Suzanna could have shouted with delight. She blew gently, helping the fire spread. When the flame was large enough, she slowly began adding larger logs until it was burning steadily.

She put the fire grate back in place and leaned back for a moment, enjoying the warmth. Wilson, at least, would be warm soon enough. Suzanna was quick to light a few candles around the room and hunt down another blanket for Wilson.

When he stirred slightly, she rested her hand on his forehead. "I'm going to take care of you," she promised.

Wilson had the bed, but the floor would be just as good as any place with enough blankets. At least, she tried telling herself that.

When she was snuggled on the floor under a heavy blanket, she allowed herself to relax. They were safe for now and Wilson would surely begin to recover. As her eyes began to shut, her thoughts drifted to Samuel, the man who had stolen her heart. A smile rested on her face as she dreamed about seeing him once again.

I know he'll find me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 25 11
Princess Agnes meets a mysterious boy when she was 13. He promised that they would see each other again. Now it's her 16th birthday and she still has...
1.3M 68.3K 63
*Book 2 in the Soulmates Series* After Malekh's startling revelation about the deal he'd made with Ashton, Elizabeth's blossoming relationship seems...
2K 149 28
❝ π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ π‘˜π‘–π‘ π‘  π‘œπ‘“ π‘Žπ‘› π‘Žπ‘›π‘”π‘’π‘™ π‘π‘Žπ‘› 𝑝𝑒𝑑 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 π‘Ž 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 π‘‘π‘œ 𝑠𝑙𝑒𝑒𝑝, π‘“π‘œπ‘Ÿ 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 π‘Ž 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 𝑖𝑠 π‘π‘Žπ‘π‘Žπ‘π‘™π‘’ π‘œπ‘“ 𝑓...
14.8K 886 47
That moment when you are being stood up by your lover on your special day. When you are standing at the altar feigning smile at the one you ought not...