A Worthy Villainess

By FairoNeko

A simple story ≠ A simple life. My name is Mercury Caduceus. If you recognise this name, then you would know... More

1. Divergence
2. Investment
3. Equanimity
4. Quarantine
5. Promenade
6. Redolent
7. Convene
8. Anecdote
9. Humility
10. Solace
11. Bliss
12. Zone
13. Venerate
14. Trend
15. Fickle
16. Order
17. Lark
18. Yearn
19. Karma
20. Joy
22. Ubiquitous
23. Guise
24. Mayhem
25. Niche
26. Wordage
27. Aberrant
28. Rendezvous
29. Veracity
30. Calamity
31. Think
32. Interest
33. Manifold
34. Phantasm
35. Familiarity
36. Expiate
37. Lucent
38. Quote
39. Beloved
40. Secure
41. Occasion
42. Zest
43. Xylitol
44. Domain
BONUS

21. Xanadu

3.2K 198 57
By FairoNeko

Mercury Caduceus will be at where her friends are.

🦋

Horo and Scopus Rasalhague take me along on their trip to a beauty salon. Trying a new look, they say, now that we aren't restricted by school rules anymore.

Horo dyes his hair pink while Scopus dyes his hair purple. In a certain perspective, they will still look like identical twins with the same hair colour. To obtain a stronger impression, to be different from his Brother, Scopus also perms his hair, slightly.

I don't discourage them from doing what they want. They are free to determine their appearance. It still comes as a surprise for me though. I have no idea they want to look different; because I thought they prefer to use identical twins benefit to mess with people.

"I want you to look at me for me, Mercury," Scopus tells me gently, "Not just as a set of two,"

Horo chuckles when I turn to look at him, "This is our way to make you notice us, individually. It won't be good for you to stay indecisive, you know," Horo gives me a somewhat sly smirk

"What brings this on?" I emit my bewilderment, "I... I mean..." are they being serious about this? I never thought of asking them to change. Not even for me. They are fine the way they are, in my humble opinion.

"We thought of taking it easy," Scopus explains, suddenly in a bad mood at whatever he thinks of. Horo gives a troubled sigh as he completes the sentiment, "But then, that guy just had to do that before he left,"

Airport. Confession. Galaxy Pollux.

I stare at the two blankly. They weren't there, so from who did they hear about what Galaxy did? Even so...!

"I thought you two have not forgiven me," I blink at them, somewhat at a loss of what to do if I receive a love confession again. It is out of my expectation to receive any, you know.

"Speaking of that," Horo muses quietly, "I think, mostly, I have forgiven you,"

"I like to be able to talk to you again to stay mad at you," Scopus tells me with a small smile, "Now that I am not angry, it means I have forgiven you!"

"Something like that," Horo agrees cheerfully with a nod, "It means it's okay for us to date now, right?"

"We can be counted as University students by now," Scopus reminds me, taking a step closer to me along with his twin, "If you have misgivings about dating when in High School, we have already graduated,"

"Which means..." Horo smiles at me mischievously while Scopus tries to not smile in glee, "There is no reason for you to hesitate anymore, is there?"

I lean away from them without reservation, wary of what they have in mind for me. Carefully, I tell them, "I will only date someone whom I like. Please respect my decision on this,"

Horo and Scopus pout at me, asking at the same time, "You don't like me?" then giving one another a look for asking me that question together.

"I like you," I say calmly, or as calm as possible in the face of possible disasters, "But only as friends,"

"So, we gotta upgrade our status in your mind," Horo nods sagely, capable of accepting my opinion calmly, to my relief

Scopus releases a sigh, "We will have a lot of work to do, don't we?" after asking Horo that, Scopus blinks and beams at me, "I will make sure you end up with me though, Mercury!"

"You little--!" Horo aims to strangle Scopus, to no avail

I smile slightly at their antics. Inwardly, I am not sure what I should do about what they say. Speaking about love confession, Horo and Scopus had told me before, although I didn't take it seriously. Now, they pointedly tell me they have the intention to...date me. Galaxy, he confessed to me before leaving the Country. Does he intend to date me too?

What exactly is making me popular among the boys? It is somewhat mystifying to know I am someone who people will see as a love interest too.

🦋

The days passed by slowly. I use the time to learn and earn a driving license. The car Space Antares gave me has been in the garage of the villa all this while. It's about time I let it sees the sun. The villa too. Maybe I should do something about it? The villa is located on a hill, a place that is quiet and calming. Leaving the villa empty is a waste. Living there will be a hassle though; because it is quite far from the nearest City.

My chosen University is in a different City altogether.

"You can sell it?" Space suggests to me without trouble, "Then uses the money to buy another house..." brightening visibly, Space excitedly reports, "The University is not a boarding school; but located in a different City, so we have to find a place to live by ourselves. Have you decided where you will rent your temporary living quarters? If not, use the money to buy a house and we can live together! I don't mind renting a room from you!"

"It is just an idea that oozes with Space's desire to live together with Mercury," Cosmos Altarf points out almost immediately

Asterism Hamal snaps his finger in a sudden realisation, so I glance at him in question. Showing a troubled smile, Asterism admits, "I have forgotten to find a place to live,"

"I thought of commuting from my place," Space tells us while ignoring Cosmos, "But, if Mercury plans to buy a house near the University, I will move in with her,"

"People will be trying to find places to live near the University anyway," I point out reasonably, in my opinion, "Even if I have the intention to sell the villa and buy a house, I won't be able to do it before the term starts. The competition will be strong. The price will be absurd,"

"You can leave it to me," Space grins, taking out his two smartphones and browses for something. Handing me one of the smartphones, Space informs us, "I was a step ahead from someone at buying the villa back then. If Mercury has decided to sell it, I will try asking if that person wants to buy it or not. Check out the houses for sale near the University's neighbourhoods," the last sentence is for me alone

I accept Space's phone after listening to his explanation. So, we decide to sell the villa, after all? "Are you serious in saying you will rent a room from me, Space?"

"Of course," Space assures me, "Isn't it something a normal University student do? Renting a room in someone's house to live,"

"But!" Cosmos can't help but gesture wildly, "You want to live in Mercury's house! You want to live with her!"

"So?" Space tilts his head at Cosmos in bemusement, "If Mercury chooses to use the house as a boarding house, everyone will end up living with Mercury anyway," huffing, Space crosses his arms defensively, "I am just pre-ordering a room first!"

"You think too far ahead," Asterism shakes his head with a laugh, even though I bet he also thinks of solving his living quarters problem, if I really do end up opening the house as a boarding house, by renting a room from me

It actually is not a bad idea. I browse the houses seriously while deciding whether to buy or not, based on the houses' sizes. To use it as a boarding house, the bigger, the better. Of course, I have to keep in mind about the price too. Let's see...

It's a little far from our University, the more I look the farther it gets, but there is a house I am interested in. The house was built as a boarding house, but for some reason, the owner decides to sell it. I point it out to Space.

"We have to renovate it first before we can move in," Space says, casually accepts my decision right away, instead of thinking about checking other houses

Cosmos leans on Space to take a look, "It looks good to me,"

"I mean," Space gives me a sheepish look while passing his phone to Cosmos, "Renovate it according to my security measure,"

"Are you sure we are going to buy that house?" I question with furrowed eyebrows; because nobody is raising objections. Not even Asterism, after he receives the phone from Cosmos and checks it.

"We, Mercury?" Asterism tilts his head at me in wonder, "You are the one buying the house,"

"Is the price okay?" I ask Space, before addressing Asterism, "You don't want to live there?"

Asterism quietly admits, "I want," as I expected

"The location and price are good," Space says as he fiddles with his other phone, "No strange history either. Reason for sale: they need the money to treat someone in the family. Huh,"

"What about the previous tenants?" Cosmos raises a good question

"Moved out," Space rolls his eyes at whatever he reads. Dropping his phone on the table, Space addresses me, "Anyway, are you certain you will buy this boarding house, Mercury?"

"If nobody has objection living there," I respond, pause, watch Asterism returns Space's second smartphone back to its owner, and inquire, "Who wants to live there...with me?"

Space, Asterism, and Cosmos raise their hands. I give a nod, "I will also ask Horo, Scopus, and Venus. I think the house has enough rooms for all of us,"

Venus Myrtle might even appreciate the invitation; because I will rent the room to her cheaply. Plus, another girl in the house!

"It's decided then?" Space blows at his fringe, "Mercury, I will need you, and the deeds, to come with me to meet that person and a lawyer,"

I give a nod, "When is the meeting?"

"Is tomorrow okay?" Space confirms with me, which I affirm, and types on his first smartphone that he grabs back from the table, "Will you drive or will I drive?"

"You have a car?" Cosmos asks Space with incredulity, "Since when?"

"I bought it after getting a license, a week ago?" Space gives Cosmos a look, "Why do you ask?"

"Can you really drive a car?" Cosmos wonders as he looks upon the ceiling of this cafe we decide as our hang out point; as if he is imagining Space's driving skill

"I can," Space replies, patiently

"If you know the place of the meeting, you will drive," I tell Space, "What is the time you will come to fetch me?"

"10 a.m.," Space puts his smartphones in his pockets, "We will finish buying the boarding house in the afternoon too. Two birds with one stone,"

I give a nod to show my agreement. Space is quite reliable like this, isn't he? Now that matter is settled, we talk about the next topic. Asterism's birthday!

"How should we celebrate your birthday?" Cosmos starts by asking for Asterism's input

"In a peaceful manner," Asterism says, with a calming smile

"You are no fun," Cosmos pouts, discarding whatever idea he has in his mind when asking for Asterism's input

"I am actually thinking of no party," when he sees our incredulity, Asterism hurriedly explains, "Or, maybe a joint one with the opening of the boarding house?"

"That is not a bad idea," Cosmos agrees, "It might even coincide with my birthday!"

University's new term starts in September. If we move in around July or August, that can work. Now is April, so around 3 to 4 months for Space to renovate the house. Is this plan okay?

"Perfect!" Space cheers

"To think we all will live together," Cosmos laughs at what he says next, "Galaxy will be so jealous!"

I ignore Cosmos to tell Space, "Use the leftover money for selling the villa-" because the price of the boarding house in City is slightly cheaper than the villa on a hill, "-to renovate,"

"It's fine," Space assures me, "I can cover for anything I add,"

"I want the blueprint for the renovation," I inform Space with a nod, accepting his offer to use his own money to renovate; if the leftover money is not enough to cover everything

"Will we have the chance to see the house before moving in?" Asterism voices an important question, "I want to pick a room and decide which furniture I will bring along," a pause later, through our encouragement, Asterism reluctantly admits, "Also to measure the room for my bookshelves,"

"That's not a bad idea~" Cosmos grins at me, "I want a room nearest to Mercury's!"

I shake my head at him pointedly, "Boys and girls will be on different floors,"

"Then I will take the room next to the stairs," Cosmos readjusts his plan without issue

"We have to set rules, with the punishment of getting kicked out of the boarding house," Space tells me seriously, to which I agree

"Are you going to name the boarding house, Mercury?" Asterism always asks the right questions

"Maybe later," I say in response, "Once we have settled in,"

🦋

In the chatroom [How Do You Live Over There?], the boys tell Galaxy about our plan to live together in a boarding house, with me as its owner.

I focus on the chatroom [Reminiscene] to let the twins know about the boarding house plan though. I also ask them to inform Venus. After assuring me they will invite their friend to my boarding house, they can't help but voice their concern regarding this idea.

Scopus [Are you sure about living with a bunch of boys?]

Horo [That can't be safe for you]

Mercury [You don't want the rooms then?]

Scopus [I want]

Horo [Just asking]

Mercury [I expect everyone to behave themselves]

Mercury [I trust you to]

Scopus [Mercury...]

Horo [I hope I can keep your trust in me]

Horo [Forever]

Mercury [Besides]

Mercury [We won't be completely alone]

Mercury [A bunch of young adults]

Mercury [I will hire housekeeper]

Scopus [Live-in housekeeper?]

Mercury [En]

Horo [I have a feeling Venus might want that spot]

Mercury [She plans to work and study?]

Mercury [Won't it be tiring?]

Horo [Do you know]

Horo [Venus will be able to do it]

Scopus [If anyone can]

Scopus [It will be her]

Scopus [Yes]

Mercury [All right]

Mercury [I just think it will be tiring for her to clean the house]

Mercury [When you guys live there]

Horo [What's that supposed to mean?]

Scopus [I won't cause a mess]

Horo [We will behave]

Mercury [Okay]

Mercury [If Venus is interested to work and live there]

Mercury [Bring her along when we go to explore the house]

Mercury [I will tell you the time later]

Horo [ 🤩 ]

Scopus [ ☺ ]

Exiting the chatroom with the twins, I move to the other chatroom. I read what they wrote in there first before inserting my comment, cutting off Cosmos's description of Space's perverted plan.

Mercury [You two are peas in a pod]

Mercury [You can't be any better]

Space [!!!!]

Space [@Mercury]

Space [I am innocent!]

Mercury [Oh?]

Space [It was all Cosmos!]

Cosmos [You can't push everything to me like this]

Cosmos [I was doing that for your sake!]

Space [ 🤬 ]

Asterism [I will side with Space]

Asterism [He is innocent]

Cosmos [You don't know what Space thinks]

Cosmos [Do you?]

Galaxy [I seem to recall]

Galaxy [Space as the one renovating the house]

Galaxy [Don't make Space installs traps in your room]

Galaxy [@Cosmos]

Cosmos [You just have to give him ideas]

Mercury [Shall I kick you out altogether?]

Cosmos [I will behave]

Space [@Asterism @Galaxy @Mercury]

Space [Thank you!]

Mercury [I will make this clear]

Mercury [You will behave yourself if you want to live in the boarding house]

Mercury [I have told this to the twins too]

Mercury [You will live respectfully in my house]

Mercury [Go be crazy somewhere else]

Mercury [Not allowed to bring the craziness home either]

Cosmos [Home]

Cosmos [The boarding house will be my new home]

Cosmos [Sounds nice]

Mercury [Are we clear?]

Asterism [Crystal clear]

Space [Diamond clear]

Cosmos [Sky clear]

Galaxy [May I have a room there too?]

Mercury [Sure]

Mercury [There are enough rooms for everyone]

Galaxy [@Asterism as my proxy?]

Asterism [Got it]

Mercury [Has anyone told your family about the boarding house though?]

Mercury [Speaking of which]

Mercury [I am off to tell Dad]

Mercury [Night]

I close the chatroom without seeing their replies. Leaving my room, I go to find Dad to inform him of this. Dad listens to me until the end without interruption. Once I am done, Dad asks some questions, "Will they listen to you?"

"I am hoping they will," I inform Dad, rather self-assuredly

"Is dating allowed in your boarding house?" Dad raises an eyebrow at me

I take some time to form the answer, "Not even courting is allowed,"

Dad laughs, finding it hilarious, "Will they agree to that rule?"

"They have to," I say stubbornly, "For everyone's peace of mind,"

Dad nods, "Let me know if you have any troubles,"

I give Dad a gentle smile, "Okay. Good night,"

Dad returns the smile, "Good night. Sweet dream,"

Dad is a really great Dad, to be indulging me so much. I have not breached the subject of Mom with him at all; when Mom failed to attend my birthday party after they divorced. Mom also didn't attend the party a year after they divorced. From the twins, I know that Mom is still alive.

No messages or calls. No contact whatsoever. Mom...

🦋

Venus is grateful for my offer. Despite having to live with me, she can stomach that, Venus feels this opportunity is the best thing ever.

"The rents on other places are a bit too much," Venus mumbles when I question her about it, "Plus, not everyone will rent a room to me,"

Of course, instead of renting a good room to someone who they aren't sure will be able to keep paying the rent, the hosts will definitely rather wait for students with stable income or family who are able to support them. In any case, their loss my gain.

The boarding house has a total of 5 floors. The ground floor, 1st floor, is for the living room, kitchen, dining room, and bathroom. Plus, I have decided to combine the two empty rooms as a study room, for everyone's use.

2nd to 4th floors are bedrooms plus bathrooms inside each room, with the 5th floor being the open rooftop which is open for everyone too. Girls, Venus and me, will live on the 2nd floor while the boys will have 3rd and 4th floors. One floor has 4 bedrooms.

I order the boys to fill the 4th floor first before thinking of claiming a room on the 3rd floor. After a series of rock-paper-scissors, the one to get the 3rd-floor room is Cosmos. By default, Galaxy will get a room on the 3rd floor too.

Cosmos stares at his hand in disbelief for getting a room on the 3rd floor. Horo offers to change with Cosmos, which is politely rejected. I warn them all, "No stopping by the 2nd floor; unless it is to visit the sick,"

"I know," Cosmos responds, rather calmly, belying his shock

The other 4 boys decide among themselves who get the room closest to stairs now, as Cosmos climbs the stairs to the 3rd floor to check the rooms before claiming one as his. Venus and I climb to the 2nd floor to claim a room for ourselves. I take the room that allows me to oversee the front door. Venus takes the room across from mine.

Once we have decided on the rooms, we talk about the furniture and Space's renovation plan. Asterism also contacts Galaxy to pick a room on the 3rd floor, much to Galaxy's amusement after he knows Cosmos's reaction for winning the 3rd floor.

We all agree to have a nameplate on our doors. Thus, after scouring the house, we go to an atelier to have the nameplates made to our liking.

I decide to use marbles to make my nameplate.

Since we are already together, we go to eat together too, after which we will go furniture shopping. All in all, it is a productive outing. Of course, we unanimously decide the one managing our meals will be Cosmos, while  Asterism is the co-supervisor of the boarding house with me. We also agree to set up a fund for grocery shopping, much to Cosmos's delight.

Now then, what else shall I do? We are just waiting for Space to finish renovating the boarding house before moving in, at this stage.

Fortunately, without Galaxy here, his Grandfather, Gravity Pollux does not bother me. Speaking of which, I check up with my friend, Mars Deimos. After wishing her a Happy Birthday and inform her I have sent her a present, it's on the way probably, I give an update of what is going on around here.

Mercury [I bought a house]

Mercury [Made it into a boarding house]

Mercury [With the usual boys + Venus living together in that house]

Mars [Too bad I can't join you]

Mars [I'd like to see how everything will turn out]

Mercury [No drama in the house]

Mars [*gasp*]

Mars [Speaking of Cosmos]

Mercury [I think you mean drama]

Mars [Will he continue acting?]

Mercury [Ask him about it yourself?]

Mars [If he is there, ask him for me]

Without Cristallum Academy, it is rare for us to meet up. However, today is one of the normal days in which we decided to meet up. I release a sigh and call Cosmos, who is watching the crowd outside from the inside of the cafe we are in.

"Mars asks if you will continue acting," I question him on Mars's behalf

Cosmos gives me a blink, "If the University's drama club is not too demanding, I might join the club,"

I relay Cosmos's answer to Mars. Space asks me if I am meeting up with her, for whatever reason. I have never thought of that. Mars lives so far away!

"It's good that she is able to chase her dream," Asterism mentions briefly, "Isn't it nice to have a dream unrelated to duty?"

I give Asterism a look, knowing that he is not insinuating me, but still feels like he is talking about me. I admit my dream is related to duty. I don't know about the boys' though, including the twins. Galaxy... Does what he is doing count as a dream? I feel like it is more of a duty.

The way I know it, everyone is majoring in business management. No variety at all, even though it is the most useful major for us to learn. Maybe they will enter other circles or clubs to make up for their hobbies? Examples: Cosmos in the drama club, Asterism becoming a library committee member. As for others, I have no idea.

I glance back to my phone when it buzzes insistently. A call. From Mom.

"Mercury?" Space checks with me when I stare at my phone without doing anything. The buzzing hasn't stopped. I have the mind to wonder why I now put my phone on vibration mode. Space takes my phone from me, snapping me out from my daze. What is he doing?

Space spares a simple bored glance at my phone before muting the call. No more buzzing. Returning my phone to my hand, Space says, "Answer on the second call, if you want to answer at all,"

Asterism frowns at Space, "That's not nice,"

Space pouts, "I am just trying to help by delaying the inevitable!"

"Mercury needs the time to gather herself," Cosmos backs up Space. Then, turning to me, he pats my phone, "If it's important enough, you will get a second call. If not, just text back,"

I have a feeling they are teaching me the wrong thing, but I still listen to them anyway. Asterism looks dissatisfied, but he does not force me to do anything. We wait for the second call. There is none. I text back 10 minutes later.

Mercury [Mom? What's the matter?]

The reply comes 5 minutes later. I don't like the emptiness I feel when waiting.

Mom [I heard you will live with the twins?]

Mercury [I will live together with everyone in a boarding house]

Mom [What's your plan regarding them?]

Mercury [Nothing]

Mom [Just to let you know. Your engagement with them has not been cancelled. Choose wisely and let me know if you have decided]

Mercury [Why is it not cancelled? The betrothal, in the first place, I never agree to it]

Mom [Just to let you know]

Mercury [Mom. Listen to me]

Mom no longer replies to me. I also don't bother to convince her. To have a Mother this stubborn, I feel tired.

"Have you talked to the twins about this?" Asterism inquires quietly

"They don't want to annul the engagement," I reveal with a sigh, as I use a hand to randomly wipe my face in frustration, "They want me to choose one of them,"

When there is silence, I look up to check on the boys. They look thoughtful. Which reminds me, "Who told them about what Galaxy did at the airport?"

I squint my eyes when they all shift suspiciously in their seats. Space releases a nervous chuckle, "Why do you ask?"

I roll my eyes for them to see, "The twins feel encouraged,"

Cosmos's eyebrows jump up. Asterism stares at me widely. Space pouts, "We didn't encourage them to harass you,"

I end up giving a snort, "They plan to do it, either way," thinking back, I revise, "It's not harassment, that's a harsh way to call it," turning down the corner of my lips as I feel troubled over it, I say, "They will... Actively pursue me. In fact, they already asked me to be their girlfriend," finish with that, I look down at my smartphone to text Mars about Cosmos's response to her inquiry

Yes. I deliberately abstaining myself from looking at their reactions. Although...

They sure are loud.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.8M 296K 52
Anna Krause is in her senior year and more than ready to leave high school behind and start a new fresh life without homework, what she didn't expect...
189K 24K 15
في وسط دهليز معتم يولد شخصًا قاتم قوي جبارً بارد يوجد بداخل قلبهُ شرارةًُ مُنيرة هل ستصبح الشرارة نارًا تحرق الجميع أم ستبرد وتنطفئ ماذا لو تلون الأ...
2.7M 60.5K 81
Diana is an 18 year old girl about to start her senior year until she bumps into a woman at the bookstore who has quite the personality. The woman ta...
265K 8.7K 33
My back was pressed against the wall, and our faces were merely inches away. He gently placed a finger below my chin and tilted my face upward. I tri...