A Worthy Villainess

By FairoNeko

A simple story ≠ A simple life. My name is Mercury Caduceus. If you recognise this name, then you would know... More

1. Divergence
2. Investment
3. Equanimity
4. Quarantine
5. Promenade
6. Redolent
7. Convene
8. Anecdote
9. Humility
10. Solace
12. Zone
13. Venerate
14. Trend
15. Fickle
16. Order
17. Lark
18. Yearn
19. Karma
20. Joy
21. Xanadu
22. Ubiquitous
23. Guise
24. Mayhem
25. Niche
26. Wordage
27. Aberrant
28. Rendezvous
29. Veracity
30. Calamity
31. Think
32. Interest
33. Manifold
34. Phantasm
35. Familiarity
36. Expiate
37. Lucent
38. Quote
39. Beloved
40. Secure
41. Occasion
42. Zest
43. Xylitol
44. Domain
BONUS

11. Bliss

4.9K 345 151
By FairoNeko

After my declaration of resistance, I go to search for a support.

🦋

Is it my fault for not being a good Daughter who is worth listening to? Because I did not put enough effort to be close to my parents in the past, when I was preparing to be a Villainess? With Mom, in particular.

"Something the matter?" Dad asks me after seeing my face as I approach him

I am faintly certain I don't have a bad expression on my face. How does Dad know? Maybe he was paying attention to that table and its occupants? Dad... Will he listen to me, or will he be like Mom...? I have to try, in any case.

"I am uncertain what Mom wants with...making me and the Rasalhagues closer again," I start out slowly, trying to use nice words for Dad to hear, "But, the Rasalhagues and I... We don't have a good relationship now,"

Dad quietens. After thinking about it, Dad asks, "A fight?"

I give a small shrug, "They may be upset with me. I am aware I am at fault for their unhappiness. However, they talked to Mom about my friends," I glance at my friends who are talking to Uncle and Uncle-in-law, with Aunt snickering at the side as she listens to their talk, "They weren't being kind to my friends,"

"I will not side with anyone," Dad informs me, reminding me that I should solve my problem by myself

"I only want to request Dad to not agree with Mom's decision," I dip my head slightly, a gesture showing that I am pleading him on this matter

Dad blinks. After mulling about it, Dad seems to understand something. Once he has considered a matter for one whole minute, Dad chooses to reveal, "Your Mother is looking for a Son-in-law,"

I drop my shoulders, in defeat. I can't help but softly say, "I am still young. Still a child, in fact,"

Dad crosses his arms, "I am aware,"

I look up then, with hope. Dad continues seriously, "I have no wish to decide for you when to have a relationship. Although your Mother does it, I hear she is only looking for candidates for now,"

Horo and Scopus Rasalhague are the candidates, then? I confess to Dad of what I said, "I told Mom to just adopt the twins, instead of...matchmaking us, now that I know her real plan,"

Dad's lips twitch up. Looking like he is genuinely humoured by the idea, Dad asks me, "You don't mind having them as your Brothers?"

I consider it seriously. Having the twins as my Brothers? Will they live with me then? Will they meddle with my life then? Will they treat me differently then? Will they forgive me and see me as one of them then?

I doubt anything will change.

"They will only be Brothers on papers," I admit to Dad, "Our relationship will not become better just because we become family,"

For a moment, Dad looks depressed at what I say. I repeat the sentences in my head and come to a realisation.

I am uncertain whether Dad and Mom's marriage is an arranged one or not. However, the three of us, my relationship is generally better with Dad than with Mom. Dad and Mom too, their relationship, while they don't fight or being cold to each other, is not a relationship of people in love.

To only realise this now, because I was an unfilial child absorbed with being a Villainess, I feel regretful.

"Mercury?" noticing that something is off with me, Dad calls gently, "Something the matter?"

I look at Dad, feeling lost and guilty. I never thought about the relationship between my parents. When they came together to hold a birthday party for me each year, I automatically assume it as something natural, for my sake.

What about something for their sakes?

What have I done for them, aside for snapping out from the Villainess delusion?

"Mercury?" Dad sounds worried now

I tell him what I thought. Dad sighs and puts a hand on my head, "Care about us once we are old and need your care. For now, think about what you want to do in your life and make sure to not have too much regret," as for Dad and Mom's relationship, "We are okay. You don't need to worry,"

Dad pats me again and pushes me to my friends, "I will not agree to whatever your Mother decides. However," after seeing I am listening, Dad continues, "I will not be able to completely stop her if she involves other people in her decision,"

I make a face, feeling troubled. Dad releases a sigh, "If you are certain you do not agree to her decision..." Dad whispers the rest for my ear alone.

I know my heart has stopped beating after hearing his words. Dad gives a smile, not sad or happy, just a smile with a secret, and tells me, "I care about you, you know that?"

I give a nod. I bite my lower lip to stop myself from making a sound. I give Dad a hug. I am thankful. Truly. I am also sad. For my parents.

Even though Dad said he won't pick a side, Dad still gives me a way out from what Mom planned. By sacrificing himself. I hope a day like that will not come.

🦋

Uncles and Aunt leave us alone after I join the boys. Once I take them to sit at a place that is far from other people, once I have given them drinks and pieces of cake, I tell them, "The twins might have made Mom dislikes you guys,"

Space opens his mouth, but makes no sound. He looks indignant though. Cosmos rolls his eyes to glance at the twins, with a casualness that is not mirrored by his tightening hold on the spoon. Asterism puts the plate down to avoid an accident. Galaxy takes a sip of the juice and asks me, "Why?"

"Because of me," I confess, "I had a history with them. They are not happy with me. They involve you guys in their grudge,"

Cosmos turns to look at me, "Are they...bullying you?"

Space nods furiously, without saying anything. Space's action is to answer Cosmos's question, when I don't answer it myself.

I am not really sure what they are doing, to be honest. Revenge? Bully? Protect Venus? I don't expect them to answer me, even if I ask. And, it's not like we can talk normally after this, like before.

Asterism plays with his piece of the cake slightly, contemplating something, "What is the reason for the dislike?" by Mom?

"Rasalhagues hinted that you guys are the reason they and I are not friends," I reveal, having no intention to keep them in the dark about this, "Mom wants us, the twins and I, to become friends again,"

"Why?" Space asks because he can't understand, "The twins aren't exactly good to you,"

"Mom doesn't know that," I point out, "Besides, it's my own doing that causes the twins to be upset with me,"

Galaxy leans back on his seat, "That's all? Because your Mother wants you and the twins to be friends, she is unhappy with us for monopolising your attention?"

I let out a sigh, "Apparently, it's not only for friendship,"

The boys don't understand. And so, I tell them, "She plans for me to be close to one of the twins in hope of having one of them to be her Son-in-law,"

Silence.

Cosmos is the first to crack. He blurts out, thankfully not loudly, "Do your parents know Space gave you a villa? A villa! Why would they pick someone who doesn't even like you to be their Son-in-law??"

Space's reaction is between indignation at being compared to the twins and pleasure at being mentioned. I laugh at Cosmos, "They know nothing about you guys," I also correct his slight misunderstanding, "Mom is the one with the plan. I have asked Dad to put a halt on it. Although, we have no idea how long we can keep the plan at bay,"

"It's not unexpected to have parents with a plan like that," Galaxy murmurs, sighing in understanding, "However, it is disheartening when they do not take our opinion into account," when we look at him, Galaxy informs us, "My parents want me to go on blind dates. I decline, of course,"

"Blind dates," Asterism muses, "And Engagement," Asterism eyes me when he says that

Space makes a face, "If I am right, since the Christmas party, my parents have decided on my future bride too,"

Cosmos coughs, as he joins the poll of sad life story, "Because I am the youngest, I have some leeways," turning to Asterism, Cosmos asks, "Your case?"

Asterism gives a smile, "I am safe. My Older Sister protects me,"

So, despite his complaints, Asterism loves his Older Sister, doesn't he?

"Although," turning gloomy, Asterism continues, "I think she wants to introduce one of her friends to me,"

Somehow, only Asterism is not laughing.

Cosmos is smug, "Ha! I get to choose my own girlfriend!"

I start, "Whoever your girlfriend is," and Space finishes, "She certainly lucks out,"

Cosmos sticks his tongue at us, "My girlfriend is blessed,"

Asterism innocently starts to comment, "Will you ever have a real girlfriend?"

Galaxy finishes his piece of cake and completes the sentence, "When you can be your own girlfriend,"

Cosmos makes a strangled sound, indignant and distraught that we would do this to him. Our forces combined completely silence him.

My mood is certainly lifted after teasing Cosmos.

Currently, we have no plan to defend ourselves against Rasalhague twins and my Mom. We will just wait and react to whatever they dish at us. For sure, I am taking these boys' side.

Because it also counts as my own side.

And as for the talk about romantic feeling, relationship, and marriage. It is not important to me, right now.

🦋

Going back to school after the holiday, we all are starting to prepare for the end of the year exams. Once Spring season arrives, we will either go up a year or stay behind.

"There is a chance we will be put in different classes next year," Galaxy informs us in one of our study sessions

"There is a total of 7 classes and 5 of us," Space adds, contemplating something seriously, "Shall I make sure none of us is in the same class as the twins?"

"If you can do that, can't you make it so we all are in the same class?" Cosmos points out

"It's harder for that," Space frowns, not happy to admit the hurdle

Asterism, watching over us as a librarian to make sure we don't disturb other students, raps on Space and Cosmos's back, "No scheming. More studying,"

I raise my head from the books, drop the pen, and stretch as I announce, "I am done,"

Asterism is quick to cover Cosmos and Space's mouth from leaking sounds. I pick my books to be put in my bag and push the rest of my reference books to the two clowns. Galaxy chuckles quietly as he announces he is done too, and copies my movement.

Asterism raises his eyebrow at me for pushing the duty of returning the books to the two under his arms. I narrow my eyes at him and point at Galaxy. The Leader does the same too! Why is Asterism only scolding me?!

Cosmos peels Asterism's hand from his mouth to tell us, "I don't actually have the need to study,"

Space is quick to follow up, "I can decode in seconds,"

"No matter how smart or what a genius you are, finish your worksheets before leaving," Asterism is having none of their excuses

Groaning together, those two start to furiously write the answers to the questions. In the meantime, Galaxy and I depart from the library.

"It's not snowing," Galaxy says while looking through the windows, "The sun is bright too. Don't you feel warm?"

I have my winter coat on, so of course, I feel warm. Galaxy laughs and suggests, "Let's take a walk outside to unwind. Studying too much is not good for us in the long run,"

"We do exercise regularly," despite saying so, I agree to take a walk outside. If the snow is warm enough for me to sleep on, I have a wish to make a snow angel. Just a thought.

Stepping outside the school building under the noon sun, I feel energized. The sun is warm and the cold is not freezing. It's nice. Really nice.

"Do you mind telling me your future plan?" Galaxy asks me, quite out of the blue, in my opinion

"Go to a university then work in my family's company," I respond casually, "You?"

"More or less, the same as yours," Galaxy chuckles lightly, "Which University have you chosen?"

"Haven't decided yet," I shake my head, "Probably go to the same University as everyone?"

Galaxy stops walking then. I cast him a curious look. Taking a deep breath, Galaxy mentions, carefully, "I might study overseas later,"

Oh. Wow. What a grand ambition. It's not something unreachable though. I offer a hesitant, "Congratulation?"

Galaxy shakes his head while smiling quietly, "I haven't decided yet. I think it is still too early to prepare for something unknown,"

"One more year," I remind him

"Isn't it two?" Galaxy sounds puzzled

I blink as I explain, "One more year for you to decide for sure. After that, it will be several short months for you to prepare and for us to throw you a farewell party," a pause later as Galaxy thinks about it, I add, "For you and anyone else who also plans to study overseas,"

"I don't think others have the need to go overseas," Galaxy muses lightly

"Huh?" I tilt my head at him, "It's a need? Not a choice?"

"Maybe it will be a choice after one year?" Galaxy offers, although he doesn't sound confident about it

I have no idea what Galaxy means. Is studying overseas some kind of condition someone has given him? In any case, "If you need us to support you on something, just say so. We will do our best to help you,"

Galaxy gives me a genuine smile for my offer, "Thank you,"

I respond with a nod, wanting to tell him there is no need to feel grateful, but refrain from doing so.

I have been getting better than ever at holding a conversation normally. No need to say more and end up returning to base one. My friends mention nothing about the change of my speech, becoming gentler and amiable, but I am sure they appreciate to not get insulted at every sentence.

🦋

Before the end of the year exam, there is a birthday of someone quite popular.

February 14th was Venus Myrtle's birthday.

Somehow, someone gets the whole class to throw her a birthday party.

For me who is not really liked to be in the classroom when they give a surprise birthday party for Venus, it's awkward. Coincidentally, my friends all aren't in the classroom. We are waiting for classes to start after eating lunch, so they still have the time for other businesses.

I sit stiffly in my seat while watching the commotion through the corner of my eyes. To have so many people celebrating one's birthday... I don't envy it. In fact, I am glad I have limited the number of people in my party. Those people are so noisy and...messy.

I turn my head away slightly when someone starts a cake fight. Using the cake's cream to smear each other, when we still have afternoon classes, is just a recipe for disaster. Not to mention, they are being wasteful!

I am startled into attention when I feel something hit my face from the side. The sudden silence from the rowdy students is a big clue of what hit me. Nevertheless, I slowly reach up a hand to gently touch the white substance. Yup, it's the cake's cream.

The silence is broken when some girls giggle at my predicament and some boys shoving at each other to step forward and offer me tissues.

I glance at them with a stern expression on my face, effectively silencing them.

Pushing my chair back lightly as I stand up, I brush the cream off my face. I can feel that I do not do a good job of cleaning my face. The stickiness is icky. Showing the hand covered in cream, I ask them, gravely, "Who?"

Who started the food fight? Who threw the cream in my direction? Who will die today?

"Hey," one of the braver girls calls out in indignation, "We are celebrating Venus's birthday. There is no need for you to ruin it, is there?"

"Oh?" I step away from my desk and slowly walk to her direction, "Is it a celebration of throwing cake's cream? If you don't want me to ruin it, then why don't you let me participate?"

She opens her mouth to retort, I pull the cream off my hand and toss it to her face. She squeaks while her friends scramble to hide behind her, because I am still approaching them.

"So?" I ask them, pleasantly, "Who?"

Nobody answers. I look down at the frozen Venus with half-lidded eyes, "Surely, you saw?"

Venus swallows nervously, hesitant to sell someone out.

I turn my gaze up, meeting these students' eyes person to person. I can't actually tell whether it's done on purpose or not, but for them to have hit me, they surely will have to answer me. They are the one in the wrong. If I take it up to the teachers, they are the ones who will be punished.

It's after knowing I will get out of this scot-free that I am demanding them to reveal the culprit. It's either everyone or someone. What will they do once they realise it?

Not quickly enough to my taste, the students shuffle back and push only one person forwards. I catch Venus's eyes, an easy task because she keeps looking at me nervously, and tilt my head, asking, "Is it this person?"

Venus is checkmate by me, despite being the most innocent person in this incident. I know I am being mean, but I do need someone trustworthy to confirm it so I won't accidentally punish the wrong person. That's all.

Taking Venus's lack of denial as an affirmation, I eye the person they put forward and say his name. When he pales further, I secretly cheer for getting his name right.

"Follow me," I tell him, turning away from this gathering to the door

The girl who received my counter-cream shouts at me, "What are you going to do to our friend?!"

I turn back to her idly, "What do you think?" and at the 'friend', I order, "Don't dally,"

I walk out from the classroom without anyone stopping me again. The culprit meekly follows behind me, fear clearly radiating from him. I am actually not angry about this. I just want to get justice. So, I will hand this student over to the most feared teacher to serve detention for assault.

It's shameful to parade my creamy face to other students, but I do want witness and people to spread rumours. It is to make them think twice before crossing me. I do hope nobody will think of using this as a challenge to do worse.

After dropping the student in teacher's care, I make my way to toilet calmly. Do I still have the time to leisurely visit bathroom before classes? I sure am ready to be late than be there to witness how the students are going to clean the mess they made.

Cake's cream is oily. It is not something easily cleaned either.

With the male and female toilet's doors near each other, it is of no surprise when a male student comes close enough to see and identify the white substance on my face to be what it is. A cream.

For this person to catch and ask me about it besides the teacher, I don't feel comfortable. I have a mind to think this is part of his plan. I wonder if I acted the way he expected me to?

Scopus Rasalhague slowly reaches out a hand, as if wanting to help me wipe off the leftover white substance on my face, as he asks, "How did you get cream on your face?"

"A birthday cake, a food fight, an accident," I take a step back and away from his touch

Scopus's eyes dart from the white substance to my whole face for my action. Speaking of which. That time, at the shopping mall, when we were in the private room for lunch, Space went shopping with them and heard things he didn't like. Feeling sad for what he heard about me, Space gave me a surprise hug.

At that time, I saw their reactions, didn't I?

Venus was shocked by what Space did. Horo had an expression of disapproval and distress. Scopus. He was frustrated.

This time, while he manages to change his expression quickly, I certainly see the frustration again. Why?

Retracting his hand, Scopus tells me to be more careful about my surrounding. I inform him, patiently, that it's others who should be paying attention to their surrounding. Finish with talking to him, I go inside the toilet to find a sink and wash my face.

🦋

I don't actually take note of the rumour mill despite my inclination of making use of it. I hear what people say, a little too loud to be considered secret conversation, as I live my life in Cristallum Academy.

On the first day of the end of the year exams, after we are released from the exam room, I hear a rumour in passing.

"Cosmos and Mars were inside the club's storage room for a long time,"

I glance at the gossiping girls. A member of the drama club and one of Cosmos's fans. Looking around and seeing no distractions, I make myself comfortable as I listen more to this gossip.

Is Cosmos 'girlfriend is himself' Altarf will behave out of our expectation and get himself a real girlfriend?!

"Were they practising together?"
"Non! They aren't in the same act!"
"They could have helped each other practice,"
"Mais bien sûr. They weren't talking,"
"What do you think they were doing in there then?!"
"Qui sait? I am curious about it too,"
"Since you aren't sure of the truth, better drop this topic so you won't make people angry. Namely, me,"
"Mais! Don't you want to find out what they did in there?"
"Now that you mention it. I don't want to know,"
"Pourquoi?"
"What I don't know won't hurt me,"

Now that they have changed the topic, I decided to leave the hiding place. I now know Cosmos and Mars were together in the drama club's storage room. As for what they were doing in there...

I pull out my phone and create a chatroom [Cosmos's Girlfriend Is Himself As A Girl] and invite the usual people in it.

Cosmos [Meowcurry!]

Space [Delete it]

Space [Deleted]

Space [Word banned]

Asterism [So quick]

Galaxy [Can a word gives nightmare?]

Cosmos [Cheshire Cat! How could you!]

Mercury [I heard you were with a girl. Inside a room. Door closed]

Mercury [Is a congratulation in order?]

Space [No way]

Asterism [Huh]

Galaxy [So fast]

Cosmos [Nah]

Cosmos [Club meeting]

Cosmos [Between club leader with vice leader]

Mercury [A hushed meeting?]

Galaxy [Who is the drama club leader?]

Cosmos [Not me!]

Galaxy [I'm glad]

Cosmos [ 💔 ]

Space [A hushed meeting?]

Cosmos [We have a plan for drama club's third years]

Cosmos [Graduation gift]

Mercury [Ah]

Cosmos [I don't know you are interested in my affair, Cheshire Cat]

Mercury [Read the chatroom's name @Cosmos]

Cosmos [Change it!]

Asterism [How are your exams @Everyone?]

Mercury [Manageable]

Cosmos [Everyone! Follow after me!]

Cosmos [Piece]

Space [Of!]

Galaxy [Cake?]

Mercury [Speaking of cake]

Mercury [Where is today's meal]

Cosmos [I am making it right now]

Space [Off the phone now]

Galaxy [You are sharing it at the cafeteria later right?]

Cosmos [The usual]

Cosmos [Making everyone's share at once is more economic]

Cosmos [I am expecting you three to compensate me still]

Mercury [That reminds me]

Mercury [When is your birthday]

Cosmos [Who]

Cosmos [Me]

Mercury [Whose chatroom is this for]

Space [Where are your question marks?????]

Asterism [Please use the question mark]

Cosmos [July 21st]

Galaxy [June 29th]

Asterism [Galaxy, you too?]

Galaxy [Might as well]

Asterism [April 20th]

Space [November 11th]

Mercury [January 1st]

Asterism [I am the oldest]

Asterism [Fitting]

Space [It can be argued that Mercury is oldest]

Space [And youngest]

Mercury [If we count Asterism as the oldest]

Mercury [Counting from Spring season]

Mercury [I am the youngest]

Cosmos [Baby Space and Baby Mercury]

Cosmos [Fitting]

Galaxy [Cosmos as the middle child]

Space [I don't want Cosmos as my sibling]

Cosmos [We can be a makeshift family]

Cosmos [But it probably won't work out well]

Galaxy [Staying as friends then?]

Asterism [Why won't it work out well?]

Cosmos [According to the scenario]

Cosmos [There will be a tragedy]

Space [What scenario?]

Cosmos [I want to stay as the youngest child]

Cosmos [I might have to fight Mercury for the spot]

Space [ 😦 ]

Asterism [...]

Galaxy [...]

Mercury [Fight me]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

164K 12.2K 15
𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐚 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 𝐱 𝐑𝐮𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐤𝐬𝐡 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 ~By 𝐊𝐚𝐣𝐮ꨄ︎...
210K 26.1K 15
في وسط دهليز معتم يولد شخصًا قاتم قوي جبارً بارد يوجد بداخل قلبهُ شرارةًُ مُنيرة هل ستصبح الشرارة نارًا تحرق الجميع أم ستبرد وتنطفئ ماذا لو تلون الأ...
311K 11.7K 81
"Leave, you're free. Don't ever come back here again." She said, hoping he wouldn't return and she'll get to live Hael was shocked, "Are you abandon...
993K 62.7K 32
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...