LIRA: Book I

By MaxineLaurel

If we are still in the 90's and someone will approach me and say "You're a descendant of a Goddess," I'll mos... More

About the Story
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER TWO: The Journey
CHAPTER THREE: The Imperial Academy
CHAPTER FOUR: The Imperial Princes
CHAPTER FIVE : Mortal Enemy # 1
CHAPTER SIX: An Encounter with Vampires
CHAPTER SEVEN: Sevastian Imperial
CHAPTER EIGHT: Mingling and Dining
CHAPTER NINE: The Four Princesses
Author's note: What does Dayanghirang means
CHAPTER TEN: Nicholas Imperial
CHAPTER ELEVEN: Vampirology and Vampirism
CHAPTER TWELVE: Gatecrashers
CHAPTER THIRTEEN: The Trouble Brewing
CHAPTER FOURTEEN: To Trust A Vampire
CHAPTER FIFTEEN: Compulsion
CHAPTER SIXTEEN: The Party
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: The Bargain
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: Dalisay the Diwata
CHAPTER NINETEEN: The Untold History
CHAPTER TWENTY: Diary
CHAPTER TWENTY ONE: Lirabelle Alexandra
CHAPTER TWENTY TWO: Confessions
CHAPTER TWENTY THREE: The Fall
CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR: The Debt
CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE: A Vampire's Girl
CHAPTER TWENTY SIX: Future Enemies
CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN: The Slayer
CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT: The Captive Prince
CHAPTER TWENTY NINE: Revelations
CHAPTER THIRTY: Two Hearts
CHAPTER THIRTY ONE: The End and the Begining
Author's notes
The Lady of the Forest (Book 1.5)
The Witch

CHAPTER ONE: The Acceptance Letter

17.9K 255 30
By MaxineLaurel

"The LORD judges in favor of the oppressed and gives them their rights." Psalm 103:6

***

After the Great World War during the mid-21st century, the president of the Republic of the Philippines decided to create a Caste Order for the government to easily control the citizens. Riot was rampant at that time, and people were out of control. After hours, days, weeks of deliberation behind closed doors, it was then decided that a certain kind of social system is the solution to the growing destabilization in the country. People with the same social status were grouped together and a leader was appointed for each caste. The government's reason for creating such feat was due to the fact that people of the same status understood each other better; they have common concerns and the government can address problems clearly and effectively if it was grouped according to people's needs. At that time, the President knew that the people might revolt once they recover from their state of shock and despair. But these things have to be done. The head of the nation later decreed that once pandemonium has been resolved, the caste system will be abolished and the country can start anew.

Shortly after the war, the Plague reached the Philippine shore; it rapidly affected the populace of the country. The entire world was devastated with the remnants of the one-year long war and the Plague that had caused a pandemic outbreak of disease. Even the great minds from powerful countries couldn't find a cure for the disease. It was then that a vampire named Magnus, who hailed he was a king on his own right, step forth and announced the vampires of the world are willing to cure the people with a single drop of blood from a royal line of vampires in exchanged for all the vampires to be allowed to make their existence known to the entire world. The Blood Compact Treaty was then created and the vampires began roaming freely.

***

YEAR 2125

It was indeed a very fine morning, as seventeen-year old Lira Santos rushed towards their house, waving a piece of paper in the air, her brown eyes beaming with delight behind her spectacles. Oh, this is the happiest day of her life! And she couldn't wait to share with her Auntie May the news. But how is her aunt going to take it? The letter Lira held was a dream come true. It could change the course of her life; provide her and her aunt a much better life than what they have now.

She remembered the frenzy three weeks ago. All kids her age from different castes had waited for the day when the Imperial Academy would open its doors to receive applications from aspiring senior students. She recalled herself standing in front of the mirror, her small, gaunt face staring back at her, while she brushed her long black, frizzy hair until it became less frizzy. It was a hopeless endeavor, she knew. But she had to look her very best for the photo she would be using for the application form. She wasn't exactly pretty-looking if you asked her; she was passable. Her best friend Claire would often tell her that she did, however, have a cute smile if ever she thought of smiling, which she seldom did. Did she smile on the picture she had attached on the forms? She couldn't remember.

She also spent a month-long to write, re-write then re-write what she had re-written, a one-page essay explaining why she should be chosen among thousands of hopefuls. She felt dismayed afterwards when she mailed her forms and later learned that her neighbors Lisa and Jane prepared their essays a year earlier. Yes, acceptance to the Academy was coveted that much. All expenses paid; monthly allowances... It was heaven for someone in a lower caste. The only catch? She will be having vampires for classmate. But Lira would worry about that later, she decided.

For Lira, the Imperial Academy was the only place where everybody from different castes was given the same opportunity to study. After the Great World War 100 years ago, there was utter chaos all throughout the country. Desperation had driven the Government to divide the citizens into four groups in order for them to better control the situation at hand, they said. Lira belonged to the Third Order from the caste system. They serve as the workers of the society, or simply those who struggle to meet even the basic needs as per Lira's opinion. But they were simply called as the Third Order. I hate that term, Lira thought grimly.

The other remaining castes, called the First, Second and Fourth Order, also had specific roles in the society. For instance, the First Order, which consist of very rich and illustrious families whose coin purse were overflowing with wealth they didn't even need, held important positions in the Government. The Second Order, the educated classes, though not as rich as the First, were still rich enough to live a life with certain privileges. Using their degree, they serve the Government and its interests. As for the bottom most caste, Lira was just thankful she was not born in the Fourth. She couldn't imagine herself serving one family for the rest of her life. The Fourth Order lived their entire life working for one master and his family, and their children and children's children would have to do the same.

Lira often wondered what people from the Fourth felt with their lifetime of servitude to one family. But she would never know the answer. She did not know anyone from that Order. The truth was she did not know anyone from the castes other than her own. Sure, she saw them at school but they never get to talk with each other. People from different castes avoided each other as much as possible.

At that time, it was the best solution the Government could find. Now, Lira doubted the course of action the former government took. As what Lira observed in today's society, there was a very distinct line drawn between the rich and the poor; between the upper two castes and the bottom two. She often times questioned herself the real basis for creating such a system. After all, it wasn't Lira's fault that her great grandfather was born poor.

Even though Lira belonged to the Third, she still had no chance to attend senior high. They were not allowed to do so anymore. As far as what she knows, there were only a handful of teachers across the country, which meant they could not accommodate all children. Since the government also made the people understand the specific role of each caste, the masses figured a member of the lower caste does not need extensive education to help them do manual labors. No one she knew ever questioned the castes system. It was their way of life; it was how they lived, and everybody accepted it as their fate.

But this piece of lovely letter she clutched so dearly is the key to her dreams. If she completed her senior year, the Academy will recommend anyone from the lower caste to be promoted to the Second Order. A caste higher meant a better life for her and her aunt. Now she needed to discuss this with her aunt. If only Lira could find her...

Lira saw Auntie May sitting on a chair on her usual spot beside the window, eyes closed. She smiled and shook her head thinking her aunt fell asleep again while the television was on.

Lira noticed how tired her aunt was. Auntie May looked thin and frail, her skin seemed pale as sheet; her hallowed-cheek face made Lira's heart ache as the black shadows underneath her aunt's eyes became even more prominent. She knew Auntie May spent her night ironing clothes from the Second for extra money. Lira knew they were poor, but were they really that destitute? She tiptoed slowly as to not disturb her aunt's nap and was about to turn the television off when she heard Auntie May stirred.

"What time is it?" Auntie May croaked. "No. Don't turn it off. I was waiting for the news."

"Okay," Lira said. She grabbed a wooden stool from the corner, dragged it beside her aunt's chair, and sat. She would rather discuss the letter she received than watch boring news. What's with grown-ups and news anyway? Current events? Everything remains the same anyway. But she kept her thoughts to herself as to not offend her aunt.

Lira eyed their modest cottage instead. The walls were mostly made of dark wood and some parts with sawali painted with a sad shade of brown, making the interior of the house looked dull and gloomy. She shifted her gaze up at the ceiling and she knew that the thatched roof might need a little fixing. She made a mental note to ask Uncle Ned (she calls all her neighbors uncles and aunties) if he could stop by and help fix the roof. Maybe he could also help her paint the house a nice shade of pink—

"—in other news, we have Janine Lobrado reporting live from Baguio City inside the Imperial Academy with the founder and co-owner himself Philip Imperial, prince of the vampire coven Imperial together with the secretary of Department of Education, to explain to us how the selection was done."

Lira gaped at their old second-hand TV set. The field reporter seemed to be also gawking at the man on her right as she held the microphone for him to speak. Well, who couldn't blame the reporter for momentarily losing her state of mind. That man, despite his casual attire of grey sweater and black pants, seemed more impressive and dignified than the balding (but friendly-looking) man beside him wearing expensive-looking black suit. For a 300-year-old vampire, he looked like a man in his early thirties. With his dark hair and intense grey eyes, it was no wonder why the reporter suddenly blushed like a teenage school girl when he smiled at her.

"Our aim is to breach the gap between humans and vampires," Prince Philip explained. "It is our goal to somehow understand each other. What makes us different? What makes us the same? Our ancestors were once humans, too, before they were afflicted with some strange disease turning us in to who we are now. We want to see how we can remove all the hostilities between two factions." The camera zoomed in on himas he clasped his hands together and said, "We can co-exist in this world, and we will start with our new generation. That is why Imperial Academy was established ten years ago so vampires and humans can learn together under one institution." He ended his speech with another smile at the reporter, making the reporter giggle, her face flushed crimson.

Lira shifted her gaze to her aunt and decided to discuss the matter at hand before she lost her courage. "Auntie, I need to tell you something," she began.

"Shhh," Auntie May responded.

Lira was about to persuade her aunt to listen when snippets of conversation caught her attention. She looked back at the television and saw the secretary for the Department of Education speaking. "Now for the past nine years, we have a committee that reviews all applications trimming it down to thirty deserving applicants. Now, I will be bold enough to admit that some committee members' decisions in choosing applicants are being influenced by the applicants' caste level." The man gave a grim look. "So this year we've decided to use a lottery system for the selection. Regardless whether the chosen one came from the lower castes or upper castes, he or she will still be admitted." He turned and faced the camera now with a hearty smile. "It's all now a game of luck!"

Lira couldn't help rolling her eyes. "So that is how they came up choosing me. So much for my efforts with the essay."

"What's that? You were saying something, dear?"

"Uhm." Lira squirmed on her seat. "You know what the news is all about? Well, you see, I was one of the chosen! All expenses paid with monthly allowance from the school." She looked at her aunt and waved the acceptance letter before her. "Great news, right?"

"Hmmm" was Auntie May's only reply, her eyes avoiding Lira's. It was a moment later when her aunt looked at Lira and said, "Well, dear, if that is what you really wanted. You're already seventeen and I know life here in the province is not the life for you." Sad tears began to gleam in her aunt's eyes. "I will surely miss you, you leaving your poor, old Auntie alone here in the South."

"Auntie!" Lira said with a laugh as she threw a hug at her aunt. "Don't you dare try that tactic on me, attacking my conscience and all." She kissed her Auntie May's pale cheeks and looked at her lovingly. Her aunt was here only remaining relative. Both her parents died when she was still a baby. But her aunt was with her ever since, so Lira never felt alone growing up. The thought of leaving Auntie May gave her heart a twinge. "I will miss you, too. But just think, when I completed senior year after two years, if I will do well in school, I might be granted admission for college and promoted to be in the Second Order! And of course you will, too. There were only a handful of people in history who were promoted to a caste higher but it could happen to us, right? Wouldn't that be wonderful?"

"Hmmm," Auntie May said again. She stared at Lira as if she was seeing her for the first time. But Lira's mind was already running wild as she kept on dreaming about her future. No more working at the factory in the afternoon. No more disdain looks from the upper castes as they eye her tattered shirt and faded hand-me-down jeans at school. No more caste system. She will be treated as an equal; that was what she always wanted. To have an equal opportunity as what the upper castes have. No matter how bizarre it was, her status will not prevent her from dreaming further.

***

Lira plopped herself on Claire's bed and bobbed her head up and down as she listened to her friend's monologue. "Oh Lira! I'm going to miss you. friend! You're so lucky to be chosen but I can't help it but, you know, get depressed and all, 'coz you're going to leave me behind. Who's going to watch my back? Who's going to say, "I told you so" to me every time I made a fool of myself and later on hug me and cry with me until my eyes turn awfully red? Who is going to be my BFF?"

Lira pulled Claire to sit beside her. She heaved a sigh and eyed her one and only friend. She would be missing Claire, that was for sure. Lira had doubts if she would ever find a new friend in her new school. She always found it difficult to relate with other people for was always reserved and guarded, as if she had a hard time giving her trust to anyone. It didn't also help that she was a bit shy and so much a loner that she never had a friend aside from Claire. She also didn't have extra time on her hand to make new friends. When classes end mid-day, she would go to work at the factory for her part time job until six in the evening. Her spare time were used to do odd jobs here and there for extra coins—cleaning houses and baby-sitting to name a few. Since both she and Claire belonged to the Third, it meant all members of their family need to work to provide food in their table. Usually after work, Lira was so beat up from all her work that she would often go straight to her room and rest. Unlike other kids the First and Second family, she didn't have the luxury of spending even a few moments with her friends even at an early age. Perhaps her peers from the Third also felt the same, for she could hardly spot any one from the Third or even the Fourth spending a leisure time on the school yard after class. They live a poor life but they were content with what they had. Making many friends was not on their top priority.

But then again, Lira did manage to make another friend a long time ago before Claire came into her life...

Lira was eleven a girl about her age. Her name was Clarisse de la Vega, or Clara as what she was fondly called by her family and close friends. Clara was First Order, but she still befriended Lira despite the differences in their status. Lira was sometimes seen playing with Clara in the latter's backyard. Clara's father didn't seem to mind this. Lira once heard Mr. de la Vega mentioned to his wife that the caste system should have been abolished long ago. Mrs. de la Vega could only gasp with horror for what his husband said might be considered a crime speaking against the ruling government. Clara's bully of a brother, Matteo, was altogether a different story. He would often look haughtily over Lira, and play mean tricks like pulling her hair or dumping mud water over her head. Clara would retaliate by chasing his older brother with a stick. Things changed however when they both became thirteen—Clara suddenly became indifferent towards Lira. One day, Lira saw Clara walking near the factory she worked. She was about to approach her when she noticed Clara was with other girls of her age. Their fancy pastel dresses showed they were a First like.

One girl had noticed her approaching, eyeing her with a disdain look. "Do you know her, Clarisse?"

The moment Clara answered "No, I do not know her at all," Lira marked the end to their friendship. Lira made the most painful conclusion in her life: Friends were a luxury only the rich could afford; and people from different status can never be friends. She was deeply hurt by this realization that she started becoming aloof and guarded—she was afraid of making another friend thinking she might get hurt again. That was until a chubby girl with short brown hair approached her at school one day, introduced herself as Claire and began chattering all throughout the day. It was as if the girl could talk non-stop! At first Lira wanted to ignore Claire. She did not want to have a friend and betray her later on. Heck, their names sounded almost alike as well! Clara and Claire. No, she would rather be left alone. But Claire would still approach her despite the scowls and glares Lira would throw at her. Until one day she found herself approaching Claire and shyly asked, "Would you like to have a piece of mamon? It's my birthday you see..."

"Lira!" Claire exclaimed, grabbing her lost attention once more. "You have to promise me you'll write to me every day. Or we could, you know, chat with each other with those—what do you call 'em? —computers once a month, 'coz you know I have to save few coins that I earn from baby-sitting, I mean those internet café shop doesn't come cheap, you know? Well, I want to know how those snobs from other Order treats you. Oh! My blood just boils thinking they might do something awful to my best friend!"

Lira could not help herself but burst with fits of laughter at her friend's tirade. She laughed and laughed until she saw Claire pouting, looking offended. "Oh Claire, we'll always be each other's BFF. Tell you what, let's have a chat at the end of every month, let's say on Sundays in the afternoon. Besides, I will come home during breaks."

Claire started sobbing. Lira smiled and wrapped her arms around Claire's shoulder. "We're BFF, and no one's going to change that," was Lira's solemn promise to Claire. This seemed to satisfy Claire.

***

*sawali: interwoven splits of bamboo for walling

*mamon: a kind of sponge cupcake

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

457K 28.1K 47
Dear Rory, I'm sorry about what I said. I'm leaving for LA in two days. Can we talk before then, please? We can just drive around as usual. I do...
873K 31.6K 34
I was never the cool girl... Never the centre of attention. Hell, the first party I ever went to, it was because Kelly dragged me to it and I was 17...
1.9M 58.6K 37
Ginger Vera, a fifteen year old typical 2nd year high-school who works as a part timer in a pastry shop. She has to work in order to continue her st...
714 56 18
Book One is finally complete, please look forward to Book Two, The Chronicles of Arnora: The Zemorian Invasion! Thousands of years ago there was a gr...