Mystic Waters: Out of the blue

By lodidrik

Fifty some years ago, toxic barrels were dumped into Lake Superior. They are now leaking, and causing changes... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24

Chapter 8

385 16 0
By lodidrik

Pete scanned the grounds in search of a flaming red head of hair. It was hard to see through the stirred up mixture of silt and blood, mingled with pieces of lamprey suspended in their watery grave, before descending to the lakes bottom. Zane rested his hand on Pete's shoulder and he felt his muscles contract. "She is over there brother. We have injuries, but they lost lives today.A shadowed cast over them making them tense up. As their eyes climbed upward there was a giant Viking Merman. He was four times the size of any of Pete's pod; and had Sal in his arms.

In a thunderous voice the Viking interjected, "Your huntress will live."

Salmonia looked like a rag doll, small and withered in arms bigger in width than her body. Meranda had made her way next to Pete. She reached out to move the tangled hair from her friend's beautiful brave face, when she noticed a crimson cloud forming around Salmonia's head.

As if the sun was blocked by a solar eclipse, shadows darkened around them. Meranda adhered herself closer to Pete, as she waited for danger. Her mouth dropped open, as she stared wide eyed, at five of the largest mermen she could ever imagine, in her brief knowledge of merfolks.

The outcome today would have been different if it wasn't for the Viking warriors Pete had sent for the day after the massacre. The mildly wounded helped gather the severely wounded and they headed home. The day had started out a relaxing tour of the northern shores of Lake Superior, and in a moments time almost turned into another devastating slaughter.

It took forever to get back to the caves she now called home.  Meranda hadn't realized they had gone so far. She had been distracted by the beauty of this underwater world, now she just wanted to get back to the caves and make sure Sal was okay. She also wanted to find out more about those giant mermen and where they came from? Why were they so big? They looked like they popped out of a folklore book. All dressed in armor and carrying seven foot long swords sheath at their hips.

The five warriors covered an area that would take fifty normal-sized mermen to fill. Each warrior the size of a killer whale, yet graceful and fast as they sailed through the water surrounding her and Pete.

The pod began their descent approaching the caves hidden entrance, beneath the  cliffs. She hadn't noticed when they began their journey that they had gone through a narrow tunnel before coming out into the lake.

As they neared the wall, Meranda jerked back. She couldn't see the opening. She only saw a crack in the rocks. The split didn't look big enough to fit through, but each merman disappeared single file. Zane went in with his back first as he pulled Salmonia through the entryway.

Next, it was her turn, and Pete nudged her toward the opening. Meranda kicked her legs and with her arms at her sides followed the mer in front of her. The tunnel widened just past the thin entryway until it opened into the familiar pool port.

Meranda was surprised when she popped up like a bobber and was lifted out of the water. With the return of her body weight she flopped onto the rocks sprawled out like the days catch.

In moments, Pete appeared alongside of her. "Do you feel okay Meranda?" He reached over and peeled off the film that covered her face. Meranda leaned back and took in a huge breath even though it hurt her lungs to inflate them to their full capacity and nodded yes.

While catching her breath, Meranda turned around catching a glimpse of Pete's well-muscled backside as he finished pulling on his pants. Meranda felt a giggle in her stomach that radiated downward and she quickly turned back around to allow him his privacy.

She will have to ask him how he changes from a tail to legs and back again, apparently it doesn't include clothes. As she sat there in her giggly mindset she was lifted to a standing position by Pete.

"You better get out of your wet suit before it cuts off the circulation...do you need help?" Pete had that mischievous twinkle in his eye with one brow raised.  Meranda turned a deep shade of red as the image of her stolen peek flashed in her mind.

"No! I think I can manage to dress and undress myself...I mean undress and dress myself." Meranda shakily turned and headed to her quarters, well technically Pete's old quarters.

"You had better hurry it appears you need some refreshments." Pete yelled out. Meranda knew exactly what Pete was really thinking, that she needed to get more air to her head. "I need to go see to Salmonia. We will meet for supper, as I am sure you have a question or two." Pete turned leaving Meranda wobbling and squishing toward her room.

Pete ran his hand through his hair realizing what a close call today had been, and they almost lost Sal, "Zane, how is she doing?" Pete asked.

"I am doing just fine, thank you." Salmonia tried to sit up but fell back exhausted.

"I'm glad you are making a speedy recovery and have regained your faculties. I will leave you in Zane's company, as I must see to our guests from the old country." Pete turned switching to telepathic mode, "And by the way sister, thank you, for saving mine and Meranda's life." Pete looked like a scolded child. He would never in a thousand years, figure out the female species.

"You are most welcome, brother." Sal softened her tone knowing that it had been hard for Pete to obey her command on the battlefield. He cracked a small smile and left Zane and Sal to some privacy. He wondered if those two would ever find their way back to each other. He knew that it would make their eight year old daughter Roselyn one happy little mermaid.

She was the most enchanting youngster. She looked like Sal, except her skin was a creamy caramel color. She had big brown eyes and chocolate brown ringlets that cascaded around her face. Hues of her mother's coppery red hair shined through, adding to her beauty. She had her mother's keen senses and father's gentle nature; until she felt slighted, then she was all Salmonia.

Pete headed off to report to his father and see to the comforts of the Vikings. They were not as old as his father, but the next generation thereafter. Neither generations could walk on land and would evolve back to the North Atlantic sturgeon they evolved from, completing the full circle of a merman's life. At least that was the progression before Pete's generation, which could walk on land.

The warriors were 1500 years old, and Pete's was only 532 years old, yet the difference in size  was huge. Pete guessed it was true that the aquatic species would only grow as large as their environment. Lake Superior may be the largest fresh water lake in the world, but it was no ocean. Regardless, Pete was thankful that the Nordic Warriors came so quickly to their call to duty.

"Pete, come meet our guest." Pete's father rarely involved himself with Pete's duties, but it was a special occasion that the Norse Warriors would travel so far from home.

"On my way father." Pete telecommunicated back. Pete headed down the caves corridor that led to a large caverns deep beneath the upper levels. This was where Pete's father would remain until he made his final journey home to the rivers in Norway, his birthplace.

The area was spacious enough to accommodate the Vikings. It was partially submerged in water with naturally carved out seats in the rocks so that the warriors could comfortably rest allowing them to leave their tail in the water. Like most amphibians' they can stay under the water for long periods of time, but have to surface occasionally to replenish their air supply.

Upon entering his father's quarters, and immediately felt small next to these giants. "This is my son, Pelias. Pelias, I would like you to meet Folkor the guardian of the people, Gunnar, the elements of the gunnr war and arr warrior, Hallvardr the rock defender, Logmar the lawman, and lastly Sigurdr - the guardian of victory."

"Welcome warriors, I am humbled and grateful for your timely arrival. May I offer you food and wine?" Pete felt in awe of these powerful and monolithic warriors.

In booming voices they all returned their greetings. Pete bowed to his father and the warriors before excusing himself to set forth a feast worthy of these heroes. "I shall return upon the hour with food and drink." He took his leave.

Pete started back up to the commons, he sighed releasing the anxiety he had felt in anticipation of their arrival. He could hear the deep echoes of their conversation and roaring laughter as they reminisced with his father. He hoped that the warriors were not shedding a bad light on the handling of today's attack.

Normally, it would have been Salmonia's job to arrange the accommodations for their guests, had she not been injured in the battle.

Upon reentering the commons, Pete shouted orders to the servers who actually prepare the food, "Eira! Einar! I need one hundred pounds of salmon, many flasks of red wine, and many loaves of bread within the hour for our guests: The twins scrambled in opposite directions to see to the preparations.

"How would you like the fish prepared sir?" Eira asked.

"Raw please, and the freshest catch we have. Thank you." Pete knew that one hundred pounds was a lot of fish, but wanted his guest to feel the gratitude he felt for saving their lives.

Pete went to see how Meranda was fairing. When he approached the entry to her quarters he heard crying. "Meranda where are you? Are you hurt?" Pete found Meranda by the hearth rubbing her feet.

Meranda tried to wipe away the tears with the back of her hand, "I 'm fine...it's just that my feet are burning--they must have gotten frostbitten."

"They probably did, had it not been for the attack I would have never kept you out there that long. The best thing to do is soak them in cool water." Pete lifted Meranda off the floor and set her on the couch. He did not know what it felt like, but knew it had to be painful. "I will be right back with cool water to soak your feet in." He wrapped her feet in a fur blanket first.

Meranda nodded her head with her arms wrapped around her knees and her head buried between them, she tried to stop crying. It had been quite a day between the attack, Sal getting hurt and now her feet was a bit overwhelming. She could've done without the attack and frozen feet, but the rest of it was like a dream come true.

Pete returned with a large bowl. It was an agate with golden swirls spiraling down toward the bottom of the bowl. It looked like you could get on that swirl and slide to places unknown. Pete set the bowl on the floor before her and gently took one blue foot at a time and submerged it in the cool water.

Of course, Meranda couldn't feel what temperature the water was until it splashed up on her ankles. The pain slowly subsided as her feet start to turn pink and white except for her toes which still were a blackish blue color.

"Does that feel better or worse? Pete knew the answer just by looking at Meranda's face. He turned to add warmer water to the bowl as her feet thawed.

"Better thank you, the pain is subsiding." Meranda gave him a small grateful smile.

A cast iron pot hung over the hearth, steam escaping from the bubbling lid, Meranda stomach woke up and began voicing its complaints loudly. She hoped Pete hadn't heard the sounds coming form her stomach. He was already on his way over to the hearth to dish up a couple of bowls of stew. He set the bowls on the carved coffee table to cool and handed Meranda a warm cup of wine. She wrapped her hands around the cup and soaked up its warmth. Once her feet thawed and food in her stomach, she was ready for bed.

"The food, warm wine, and company earn five stars ...." Meranda had almost finished her wine and felt its soothing effects. She clumsily reached for her bowl. It looked delicious with bite size chunks of Coho and salmon peeking out from a creamy white sauce laden with: small pearl onions, carrots, and garlic. As it hit her stomach she could feel the warm nutritious food spread throughout her body.

Pete was sitting at the other end of the couch watching her nourish herself back to a rosy pink, "Do your feet feel better?"

"They do and the color is almost back to normal. Thanks again, I have frost bitten my feet before, but never frozen them almost solid." Meranda let Pete remove her feet from the cool water and he gently dried them off with a towel. He reached in a drawer producing slippers lined in rabbit fur and slipped them on her feet. They felt like a piece of heaven and she would be sleeping in them. "Thank you!"

"A satisfied guest." Pete smiled feeling pleased that he could do something useful.

"Feel free to retire, we can talk tomorrow. I have to see to some important matters shortly." Pete gave her a hand up making sure that she could stand on her injured feet. Meranda felt a little guilty, she was enjoying being pampered. "I can take it from here Sir, thank you and goodnight."

"Very well, I will bid you goodnight." Pete let go of her and took his leave as she climbed into bed.

The next thing on Pete's list was to check in on Salmonia, and see how she was fairing before he himself retired. As he neared Sal's cavern, he heard Zane, Sal, and Roselyn's soft chuckles and decided to leave them have their time. He turned to leave when he received a message from Sal, "Thank you Pete for allowing us this quiet moment as a family. Rosie needs to feel safe. I am doing well and will meet with you in the morning. Goodnight, brother."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.3K 6.1K 14
The story of three reincarnated Girls from 21st century tied the knot in the pre historical time of 13th century what will happend when three water...
102K 13.9K 155
Winner of Best New Story of the Year 2017. The Haven High Series: Book 1: Enlightened; Book 2: Addicted; Book 3: Despaired; Book 4: Protected; ...
2.7K 253 14
A rare phenomenon and a dangerous mistake causes an unruly merman to follow up a family tie on land. A cop with a dark past refuses to forget what he...
220 3 75
Think you know mermaids? Think again. (Think underwater Twilight) **** "Our waters are changing. We've known it for a while now. We can sense it. We...