Such an ordinary family

By barjy02

(Destiel UA) Dean, a widower with two children sharing a home with his best friend, Castiel (and occasionally... More

Prologue
Apache
Camping
Madame Fournier
The shopping Mall
Modern Art according to Balty
Father's day
Corridor B
The hill
Black horse part one
Black horse part II
Black horse III
A Saturday unlike any other
Just like before
Like strangers
He'll always be the only one
Tomorrow is another day
The insuperable excuse
When absence weighs a lot
The Heart is so clumsy
Silent night
And if...
The silent look
Being afraid of the Unknown
Look at me
A simple truth
Unintended

Monsters Inc.

98 5 0
By barjy02

Weeks had gone by, peacefully, normal life had resumed, habits and routine had settled back in...
Dean observed as Castiel was helping Chadwick doing his homeworks while listening to Jewel reciting her poem.
Leaning on the door frame with a cup of coffee in his hand, he felt soothed and he wished this moment of pure happiness would last forever.
Since the night of the aggression on Castiel, Dean had to admit he was looking at his friend in a different way.
Today, there was fear in his eyes...Fear of losing everything one day...
That feeling had been persistent since his mother's death. Life was so fragile, sometimes holding by a thread. Tessa was a painful reminder of it.
So he was determined to cherish moments like this one and treasure them in his heart.
His thumb fidgeted nervously with the anse of his cup.
Today he was wondering how to introduce a new piece in his family puzzle.
He had been dating Lisa Braeden for almost two months now; it was time to introduce her to the rest of the family. He had understood since the beginning of their relationship that she wouldn't be just a one-night adventure, that perhaps, he could build something solid with her.
Chadwick woke him up from his reverie.
He saw the boy close his book and smile to Castiel who returned the smile. One nod and Chadwick understood he was free to go. Castiel concentrated then on Jewel's poem. She was having a hard time, although Castiel had the patience of a saint.

Lisa would try to find her place among them... What would it be ?
Would she take over Castiel's responsibilities?
Somehow, this thought was cutting through his soul because it was a little truth he refused to acknowledge.
If Lisa was to live with them in this house, she wouldn't be a new Tessa, nor a new mother, but simply a feminine presence... She had confessed she loved kids and she wanted to have some.
She was well aware of Chadwick and Jewel's existence.
And she knew about Castiel... She also knew about the bond between them... She said she understood.
Understand it was way too different from living with it from the inside...
Besides, how do you ask the man who shared your existence for more than ten years, who became the very foundation of your family for more than two years to give up his seat to someone else? Dean didn't even know whether he felt like asking Castiel to do just that.
He knew Castiel would agree to step aside, for the children's sake and his own. He had said so before, but Dean wasn't to be taken in by this declaration, he had seen how much it had affected Castiel to say the words...
He drank up his cup... As long as he was asking himself this kind of questions, it meant he wasn't ready yet.
He couldn't take his eyes off his friend's neck...
Castiel probably felt it: he slightly turned around and looked at him.
Dean felt a twinge... He smiled but his eyes were filled with doubts.
Castiel knew... He had that peculiar way of deciphering Dean's eyes.
He quickly got the picture of what was going on: Dean was out more often than usual.
Nevertheless, he had promised that he would never leave them... Dean smiled and his face brightened up.
Castiel would always be there, he would never lose him.
He felt selfish yet he couldn't help it. He needed Castiel around, close to him.
Castiel turned around again and listened to Jewel...His heart sank... He knew that day would come... He had just hoped.
He sighed... Whatever.
« C'mon Jewel... You're almost done... You have to know it for tomorrow, remember? Think about Friday night, ok? » He said, gently stroking her cheek.
« But it's difficult »
« I know, Sweetie, but look... only three more lines to go»
« I'm tired» she pouted.
« You know what? » he gently raised her chin and forced her to look at him.
She waited for the answer.
« We'll walk Apache for a little while and then we're treat ourselves with an ice cream at the Park. Then we'll come back and go on with our little poem? How's that sound? »
« Sounds perfect » she was all smiles.
« Good. Go get your coat »
She jumped from her seat.
« There's no denying there... You really have a way with the kids...» Dean said as he walked closer.
« Obviously, I'm definitely better with them than with adults » Castiel forced himself to laugh, although his face was exempt from joy.
An uncomfortable silence grew between them. He stood up and almost bumped in Dean, standing in front of him, not moving an inch.
« Cass » he said, looking down.
« Listen, Dean... Halloween is in two days... I still need to find a suitable costume, and so do you, and hopefully not a silly one, this time » he tried to smile. « We'll talk about it later, 'cause right now, I... I don't feel like discussing this» his voice was hoarse, even a bit more than usual.
« I understand... » he felt stupid, not knowing what to do with his arms or hands.... Too close from him.
« No, you don't » Castiel whispered with sadness in his tone, putting a hand on Dean's chest and gently pushing him away.
Dean felt his heart beating faster and reluctantly stepped one step back.
« What do you mean, I don't? » he asked, raising eyebrows.
« Nothing » Castiel answered, adopting a fake thoughtlessness.
Dean watched him as he left the kitchen. He looked down at his own chest and remembered the feeling of Castiel's hand on his heart.
He vigorously rubbed his face...
One day, he would introduce Lisa to the family... but not now... nobody was ready for this... Let alone him.

www

« No way I'm gonna wear this! » Dean shouted, leaving the room.
« But Daaaad! » Jewel ran after him.
« NO. I said NO, Jewel... And don't you do your puppy eyes with me, it won't work. You won't trick me this time »
Castiel, arms crossed on his chest, was smiling as he heard the argument going on between father and daughter in the kitchen.
He glanced at the armchair and started to laugh as he knew Dean would eventually give in and wear the costume she has selected for him.
Chadwick came back from the walk with the dog and made a face when he heard the crying tone of his sister.
Castiel nodded at the armchair. Chadwick unleashed the dog and came closer.
« Are you kidding? » he turned around and looked at Castiel with shining eyes.
« Your father was working this morning. He gave your sister carte blanche to pick up his costume. So I took the ones you had reserved for yourself, I selected mine and your sister chose... this! » He pointed to Dean's costume.
« Holy cow! » he ruffled through his hair.
« As you say! »
« I'll get the camera » he took off his vest and laughed. « This is gonna be real fun»
« You bet» Castiel laughed too.
« I can't wait till tomorrow! » Chadwick shouted as he climbed the stairs to his bedroom.
Castiel leaned down and grabbed all the costumes... Apache took refuge in the kitchen and looked at him from afar, sitting, pricking up its ears.
« No comment or I'll disguise you as an alley cat » Castiel promised, as he walked away.

www

As every year, on Halloween's eve, the family worked together at the decoration of their house...
Dean was ranting as he painfully carried the old shabby scarecrow back from the cellar... He pitched it in the little green spot that was supposed to be an alley and hung the skull-and-crossbones knocker on the door...
Jewel and her brother happily decorated the windows with skeletons and fake spider webs...
It ended all with a pitched battle with decoration sprays. Apache was hopping and skipping from one kid to the other.
« Now that's enough. Put those away now » Dean was a bit pissed and raised his voice.
Chadwick and Jewel, without a word and in unison turned to their father, with a mischievous smile on their face.
« Don't you even think about it » Dean pointed a threatening finger at them.
He hardly had time to finish his sentence and ended up under the crossfire when the kids sprayed spider webs all over him.
« Wait, I'm gonna..... » but it was not use, he couldn't take it off him.
« CASS » he shouted for help.
« I'm not mixing in! 'Told you not to leave them alone » Castiel shouted, safely entrenched in the kitchen.
« TRAITOR ! » Dean shouted back, trying in vain to get rid of the spider web glued all over his fingers and hair.
He turned to Chadwick and showed a threatening finger covered with the sticky substance...
« Next year, YOU CAN FORGET ABOUT ALL OF THIS... » He said, walking to the kitchen.
« And clean this mess, RIGHT NOW »
Chadwick and Jewel looked at each other.
« Gimme five » the boy said, extending a hand to his sister. She hit it as hard as she could.
« It was even more fun than last year» she was skipping in joy.
Someone sneezed behind their back. Apache tried to get rid of some spider web sticking on his nose.

www

Castiel was standing in front of the kitchen table, scouping out a huge pumpkin. He frowned, focusing on his task...
Dean rushed in, obviously angry.
« I could have used some help here !» he was mad, brushing through his hair covered with white spider webs.
« Come here» Castiel put down his spoon and smiled at him with lots of tenderness.
« What kind of crazy thought to come up with such stuff » Dean was pissed and rubbed his hands on his pants.
« Stop complaining, you old grumpy ! » Castiel sighed, with amusement.
« And of course, all you can do is laugh about it »
Castiel started to peel off the web residues... Dean suddenly felt uncomfortable, feeling Castiel so close to him...
« I'm all right... Go on doing what you were up to » he said, moving a few steps away, trying to act casual.
« I'd better take a shower to get rid of it all» he smiled, trying to hide the turmoil sneaking in his heart.
« As you wish, Dean » Castiel replied, taking away a piece of web hanging on his eyebrow. His finger brushed against Dean's cheek.
Their eyes met.
« Don't bother » he said, brushing his hand away.
Before leaving the room, he felt he had to regain some confidence and turned to Castiel...
« I'll be back in 5 » softly hitting the door frame.
Castiel smiled, aware of his friend's embarrassment... Dean... and his everlasting personal space, he sighed.
He picked up the spoon and concentrated on the pumpkin again...
He set the flesh aside in a big bowl. Dean came back about 10 minutes later and granted him a wry smile which Castiel returned... He pulled up his sleeves, looked at the bowl and prepared all the ingredients for a soup.
Dean repeated the same routine he had adopted since he was a kid. He had learned from him mother who had learned from her own mother. Somehow he wanted to perpetuate the tradition with his own kids.
Castiel had never done anything similar in his youth, only vicariously, as his own parents considered this tradition a pagan one, thus forbidden in their house.
At most, he was allowed to go for a trick-or-treat tour with his class comrades, under his mother's severe supervision...
He had only found out about the joy of celebration with his first boyfriend and since then, he'd never missed one.
However, he had never enjoyed this festival as much as when he celebrated it for the first time with Tessa and her little ordinary family.
She taught him to scout the pumpkin and turn it into the decorative element which was essential to a proper celebration.
He was the one who took up the torch when she died and Dean'd found nothing wrong about it...
Like everything else related to this family, it all seemed natural.

« I'm gonna make it clear, I won't go any further than down the street this year » Dean said, tasting the soup with a satisfied click of the tongue.
« Dean... It's Halloween » Castiel insisted.
« It's a celebration for the kids » Dean grouched.
« ... And the adults » Castiel went on.
Dean turned around and faced his friend, digging out the second eye of his masterpiece.
« Don't even think I'm gonna walk in the streets dressed in this ridiculous outfit ! » Dean snapped, pointing at the living room.
« Not any more ridiculous than wearing boxer shorts and socks, with shaving foam on your face ! »
« Please, don't start again with this » Dean warned. « Damn draught... I didn't end up half naked outside by choice or for pleasure, OK ? » he moved towards the cooker.
« The female neighbors never complained about it, as far as I know » Castiel added, contemplating his finished work with a smile of satisfaction.
« What do you think ? » Castiel questioned, a bit hesitant.
« About what ? » Dean ranted.
« I'll never manage to do as good as her » he whispered, suddenly lost in his thoughts.
« It looks great, I mean it, Cass » Dean took him by the shoulders, granted him a genuine tender smile and handed him a full spoon.
« Here, taste this and tell me what you think »
Castiel complied, looking into the empty eyes of his pumpkin.
« Perfect » he smiled, now staring at Dean.

www

When they were done setting all the decorations, cleaning the house and cooking the soup, Castiel went to the supermarket. His next mission was to buy treats and pop-corn they'd share during the horror movies evening...
Tonight, « Attack of the Killer Tomatoes » and « Eight Legged Freaks » were on and Jewel could watch them without being scared.
The next day would be Halloween's eve.
As Dean refused to let his children wander alone in the streets, he decided to accompany them as he had done every year... Surprisingly, they'd never complained about it... as long as their father and Castiel were disguised as well... They were actually not the only parents to do so...
Over the years, Dean had been disguised successively as Batman, Lone Ranger, one of the Men in Black and other super heroes... The year before, he had imposed to every member of the family to pick up one of the « Avenger » movie characters.
Chadwick had dressed as Hawkeye, Jewel as Black Widow... Dean had chosen Iron man.
Castiel cursed as he didn't have much choice. All that was left was either Hulk – and to say the truth, he couldn't imagine himself in the green monster outfit - or Captain America.
His final decision had been easy to predict.
He had spent the early evening trying not to get a wedgie. It got on his nerves until the moment he decided to go home and change. He came back dressed as Steve Rodgers, with a shield hanging on his back.
Dean made a face ; Castiel yelled at him.
« Don't say a word ! » pointing a threatening finger. « I'm already wearing this stupid wig. I won't wiggle in chick panties. This hero is a total loser » Castiel was furious and waved his arms in the air.
Dean had rarely seen him so angry but it was normal after he had spent all evening teasing him.
He started to laugh, leaning on his shoulder.
« I love you, Cass.... You're so unique, trust me » he said, joining the children.
« C'mon, you're a perfect greasy hero knockoff ».
« Shut up, Dean » Castiel replied, throwing a handful of candies at him.

Castiel smiled... His so ordinary family.
He filled a few bowls with popcorn and joined the others in the living room. Impatience was in the air.
The only lamp they switched on was the one on the desk, covered with an orange cloth to give the room the proper atmosphere.
He sat on the couch, Jewel sat close to him. Dean and his son sat on the floor. Castiel looked at them and wondered which was actually the real kid.
Apache lied down next to the coffee table, his nose at close range of the popcorn.
« Dream on... » Dean said, grabbing the bowl, putting it on his lap and getting comfortable with his back against the couch. He didn't notice that he was in fact leaning on Castiel's leg, who smiled but didn't say a word.
Chadwick inserted the first movie in the DVD reader.
Jewel laughed during half of the movie and Chadwick couldn't help but making fun of all the low-rate special effects.
Castiel suddenly froze in astonishment.
« Is that George Clooney ? »
« Yes, it's really him » Chadwick confirmed, reading the credentials on the DVD box.
« Dammit ! He's a lot more fuckable today » Castiel whispered, leaning to grab a handful of popcorn in the bowl Dean was refusing to share.
« Cass » Dean softly said, wide-eyed.
« Why not ? It's the truth... I wouldn't refuse him anything if he asked nicely » he said with a smirk.
« You wouldn't refuse what to whom ? » Jewel asked innocently. She seemed to get bored.
« That's why ! » Dean snapped back.
« Your father » Castiel replied quickly.
« I beg your pardon ? » Dean startled, his eyes full of doubt.
« ....I was wondering if he would share the popcorn that I bought, the one I prepared and which he keeps for himself » Castiel went on, with the same tone.
« OK, OK... Here, help yourself » he raised the bowl towards him but it was almost empty. « OK, I'm gonna prepare some more »
« So generous of you » Castiel sighed, looking at the few crumbs left in the bowl.
« Could you bring some more sodas, while you're at it, please ? » Castiel shouted at Dean.
« Don't push your luck » Dean answered back.

So, « Attack of the Killer Tomatoes » left them puzzled. On the other hand, they were all unanimous about « Arac attack ». Jewel startled once in a while, which made Castiel startled in turn. But all in all they enjoyed the horror movie parody.
« That was soooo funny » Jewel stated at the end of the movie, curled up against Castiel.
« I saw that » he said, teasing her.
« I wasn't that scared » she claimed, straightening up with pride.
« You've been very brave » Castiel smiled at her, ruffling through her hair.
« Now, time to go to bed.... Otherwise, you won't need any horror make-up on tour face tomorrow». He started to stand up to encourage her to do the same.
That's when he realized Dean hadn't moved his head from his leg the whole evening.
He inadvertently knocked the back of Dean's head with his knee.
« Sorry »
« Never mind.... Don't you worry, it's nothing but my head, after all » Dean started to laugh and stood up too.
Apache jumped on its feet... Dean sighed.
« Oh crap ! »
« Go ahead... I'll get the kids to bed»
« All right... Good night, kids »
« 'Night, Dad » Chadwick replied, as he was already going upstairs.
« Don't I even get a goodnight hug ? » Dean complained.
« Daaaaad !» his son let out a long sigh, still climbing up.
« Yeah... I know » he said with a vexed look.
« I wanna give you a hug » Jewel stared at him with big loving eyes.
« Come here, pumpkin » he lifted her and gave her a big kiss on the cheek.
He turned to Castiel who was cleaning up the table.
« Don't bother... We'll take care of that tomorrow morning »
« It'll only take a few minutes, Dean... Go and take the dog for a walk or else he'll turn the entrance into Yellowstone Lake » he said, pointing at Apache sitting in front of the door.
« Yes, Sir » Dean replied, putting his daughter down again.

Dean came back half an hour later ; Castiel had tidied up the whole place.
« Stubborn as a mule ! » he sighed as he unleashed the dog.
« Cass ? »
« I'm here » he called from the kitchen.
« I was waiting for you before going to bed »
« Care for one last beer ? » Dean asked with a smile.
Castiel hesitated.
« Why not ? After all, I don't work tomorrow. »
They sat around the kitchen table and talked about this and that for about an hour. Dean needed his relaxing time.
He was beginning to assess the importance of Castiel's presence in his life, yet he had a hard time thinking straight. It was still too bewildered.
What had disturbed him most lately was this uncomfortable feeling when standing too close from him... but also the gut reaction he needed him by his side at the same time. It was conflicting and upsetting all at once. He started to laugh as he drank up the rest of his beer.
If Lisa hadn't showed up in his life, he would have been suspicious of something quite different.
« Are you OK ? » Castiel put down his bottle.
« Yeah... Just tired... I'm going to bed... I'm exhausted »
« Dean » Castiel looked down at the beer can in his hands.
« About yesterday... »
« What about yesterday ? » Dean wondered where Castiel was getting at.
« You wanted to talk to me when Jewel was reciting her poem »
« Oh, that... never mind,... wasn't important» he replied, leaving the table.
« You're sure ? »
« I'm sure, Cass » Dean smiled.
« 'Night »
« Good night, Dean » Castiel replied. He stood up and headed for his bedroom.

www

The morning after.
As each year on Halloween's day, Dean got up earlier to prepare the Horror Breakfast...
When everything was set, he put on his « Scream » mask and went upstairs to wake up the children...
« EVERYBODY UP !» he shouted with that foghorn of a voice.
Of course, Jewel was already full awake and jumped in his arms.
Chadwick, on the other hand, waved at him to go away and disappeared under the comforter.
« Dad... Let me sleep »
« It's 8 o'clock. Get up, you lazy one... Salem's breakfast is on the table »
Jewel jumped on her feet and rushed on her brother's bed...
« Get up ! Get up !! We're gonna eat skulls and crossbones »
Chadwick raised and howled. Jewel almost fell from the bed and screamed. As a matter of fact, it was a mixture of scream and laughter.
Dean had startled as well. Chadwick began to laugh as he took off his werewolf mask.
« You should've seen your faces » he fell down again on his bed, laughing out loud. « That was great ! »
« Hilarious, for sure » Dean mumbled as he went out of their bedroom, which made Jewel and her brother laugh even louder.
« These kids... I swear to God » he went upstairs to Castiel's room.
He banged on the door like a man possessed
« GET UUUUUUUUUUP » he shouted
The door opened and Castiel looked at him, arms crossed on his chest, gently nodding his head.
« Aren't you too old for this ? »
Dean took off his mask.
« Don't be such a killjoy ! » he replied with a smile.
« Skull-and-crossbones bread ? » he unfolded his arms
«Skull-and-crossbones bread » Dean winked.
« I'm right behind ya »

The so-called skull-and-crossbones bread was in fact composed of small sweet buns on which Dean had chocolate-painted skulls.
He had filled them with a chocolate bar which would melt in hot milk.
The buns were displayed in a fake coffin made of candy wrapping...
The children loved that little Winchester ritual. It was also the moment they drew lots to determine who would light the pumpkin.
Rock-paper-scissors.
Dean lost every time. This year, the honor fell upon Chadwick... he lit the candle and placed the pumpkin on the opposite side of the scarecrow. Apache was on his tail and decreed appropriate to lift his leg on it.
« APACHE... Goddammit ! » Dean shouted.
The dog immediately ran back into the house and took refuge in his basket.
« Look at the bright side, no one will steal it after that ! » Castiel noted, one hand on Jewel's shoulder.
« Ha ha ha, very funny. Anyway, you'll be the one to store it back in the cellar. »
They complimented on the pumpkin soup that Dean had prepared for supper, as each year. Megan and John had joined them. Jewel spent the whole afternoon playing with Marissa.
Chadwick played on his PlayStation with John. Their guests left later in the afternoon.
Halloween night was about to begin.

www

They were all waiting for him.
Jewel had selected a Snow White costume, as the Cinderella one wasn't available...
Chadwick cosplayed a Walking Dead character. Castiel had given him a fake bite that was covering half of his right cheek and had smeared on fake blood on his face and clothes...
He had given Chadwick his own worn-out clothes and ripped them in several places to make them look more authentic.
Chadwick was extremely proud and Jewel pouted for not having the same idea.
So, Castiel proposed to turn the little princess into a zombie...
Dean was taking his time to get dressed in his bedroom which gave Castiel plenty of time to put on some make up on Jewel's face.
He drew dark circles around her eyes and a bite on her arm. She was delighted.

« Why don't you do the same on you ? »
« I don't think so... Indiana Jones will never be a zombie » Castiel said, pushing his hat back.
« What's taking Dad so long ? » Chadwick got impatient.
« I guess he's hanging his head in shame » Castiel smiled.
« Yeah, right » the boy smiled at Castiel, exhibiting the camera in his hands.
« Dean ...We're all waiting for you ! » Castiel shouted down the stairs.
« Fuck you ! »
The door on the first floor opened.
They all waited in a deadly silence for Dean to appear.
« Oh My God ! » Castiel was all smiles. He put both hands on his face, leaving a tiny place open for his glowing eyes to peek.
« Chad ! » he called.
« I'm gonna die laughing » he raised his camera, ready to shoot. His eyes were filled with tears.
Dean was standing there... in a full Winnie the Pooh outfit, including the rubber paws (hands and feet), dressed in fake fur from head to toes.
The highlight of the show was the hood covering his head, properly equipped with big ears on each side.
« I don't wanna hear ONE word !» Dean said in a quiet voice, threatening them with the giant plastic honey pot he was holding.
It was more than they could bear. Castiel bursted out laughing, soon imitated by Chadwick, doubled up with laughter... He had a hard time taking a clear picture.
« You look so great, Dad» Jewel cuddled up against him and closed her eyes.
Dean glanced daggers at Castiel.
« You're gonna pay for this » He put his hand/paw on his daughter's head.
Apache came closer and felt perplexed as he studied Dean's costume.
He just sat there and stared at him.
« What's the matter ? Never seen a bear before ? »
The dog stood up, waving his tail and barked, which made Castiel and Chadwick laugh even louder, if it were at all possible.

www

« Oh Mr. Winchester » Mrs. Crowley, the 80-year-old woman living down the street, was in awe. She distributed the treats. « It's the most beautiful costume I've seen all evening »
« Well... thanks » Dean grumbled, wiping the sweat from his forehead.
« What about you, Sir. What are you dressed as ? » she asked, observing Castiel with a doubtful expression.
« As a bear tamer » he replied, nodding at Dean.
He felt a sudden slap on the back of his head and his hat fell on the ground...
« He still needs to learn some manners, but I'm properly equipped » he went on with a large smile, taking the whip from his belt.
« Trick or treat ? » Jewel claimed, presenting her bucket.
Mrs. Crowley grabbed a handful of candies in her bag and threw them in the little girl's bucket.
« Happy Halloween » they all greeted the old lady and went down the porch stairs.
Dean saw Castiel raise his whip.
« You wouldn't dare ! » he pointed an angry paw at him.
« Watcht me»
Dean tried to run away, wrapped up in his outfit... he felt the whiplash down his back.
« Sonafabitch !» he turned around and threw the plastic bucket at him...
Castiel avoided the hit. However the bucket fell on one of Mrs Crowley's garden gnomes and blew its head off.
« Oh Fuck... Let's get the hell outa here» Dean was laughing his ass off.
Castiel picked up the bucket and they all ran to the next house.
Dean was sweating a lot, he was breathless and tried to let some air in his lungs, his hands resting on his knees.
« I think I'm gonna die » he said, dabbing his wet forehead and smiling.
« Let's finish this street and then we'll head back home, OK ? » Castiel suggested to the children. « We've been out for an hour and a half, I think we have enough treats for the ten years to come »
« All right, but first.... » Chadwick talked to a witch on the sidewalk and came back to them...
« She's gonna take a picture of us » he announced as he ran back to them.
A flash... A souvenir... Laughters.... It was their first joyful Halloween since Tessa's death....
When they finally came back home, they were all extremely tired... Dean painfully climbed the stairs to his bedroom to get changed, almost tripping on every step....
Chadwick sat on the floor and played with Apache while Jewel displayed the candies on the kitchen table and started to sort them.
Castiel was on the « Trick or Treat ? » fatigue duty.
Dean eventually joined them. His cheeks were blushed from the heat he had to endure trapped in his costume.
« I'm completely dehydrated» Dean opened the fridge and took a beer which he offered to Castiel, then he gave one soda to each kid and took another beer for himself.
Leaning on the cooker, with Castiel by his side, he watched the children sorting and devoring the treats, fighting over them in a gentle way.
« OK, that's it for today. Everybody take a shower and go to bed » Dean announced, putting his beer on the counter.
« But Daddy, it's still early » Jewel complained.
« It's past midnight. Up up up, let's go » He gently pushed her from her chair.
« You'll have plenty of time for that tomorrow »
« I'll go and blow the pumpkin candle » Chadwick disappeared for a moment with Apache on his trail.

www

Castiel put the candies away in a big bowl. Then, he sat down, stretched his legs and put his hat on the table.
Dean hailed him from the door frame.
« I don't know about you, but I'm sure dog tired... I'm going to bed »
« Good night, Dean » he replied with a smile.
« I had a great time today »
« So have I, Winnie »
« Smart ass » Dean laughed and left.
Castiel drank the rest of his beer, one hand stroking Apache, sitting by his side....
His ordinary family.

End of chapter XIII

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

143 14 8
This is a Destiel story. Dean have a big crush on Cas. He have had it for a while. He have given up on thinking Cas likes him back. He tries to get o...
42.7K 1.1K 41
When "Ally", a nephilim, finally tracks down the angel Castiel that is her father she is met with the two Winchester brothers, who seem to have no kn...
197 1 7
It's just a simple story about tempting, patient, and unconditional love. Destiel AU
96.7K 3.8K 20
(this story includes triggering things such as: bullying, self harm, abuse, etc) Dean Winchester's life is complicated. After his mothers death, he h...