Doodle Heart | ✓

Da belleofstars

An artistic playboy? Never heard that one before. - Parker Ly was a full package-intelligent, good-looking, s... Altro

introduction
preface
prologue: snow
chapter one: partnered
chapter two: awkward
chapter three: eat
chapter four: questions
chapter five: sprite
chapter six: stolen
chapter seven: party
chapter eight: peter
chapter nine: call
chapter ten: paintings
chapter eleven: mural
mini chapter (11.2)
chapter twelve: useless
chapter thirteen: formal-posal
chapter fourteen: absinthe
chapter fifteen: schemes
chapter sixteen: guilty
chapter seventeen: friends?
chapter eighteen: boys
chapter nineteen: family
chapter twenty: lewis
chapter twenty-two: new
chapter twenty-three: confiding
chapter twenty-four: hurrah
chapter twenty-five: mae
the end?

chapter twenty-one: christmas

1.5K 102 6
Da belleofstars

T W E N T Y - O N E : CHRISTMAS

THE ONLY TEXTS that Mae received from both Parker and Dustin were to remind her of the Christmas party at Dustin's house. The Christmas party being held in Pete's honor. She couldn't decide whether to go or not, especially with the weird tension between the three of them. But she still bought each of them a gift, along with one for both Lyn and Jo.

When she voiced her problem with her mother, her mother encouraged her to go and have fun, no matter the tension. Or the weirdness. If anything, her mother had also offered to go with Mae. And Mae instantly begged her mother to accompany her to the party.

The circular driveway of the Jin mansion was lined with cars all around, leaving absolutely no space for Mae to park. She had chosen to wear only a simple knitted sweater and jeans instead of her regular Hollister. Her mother opted for a long sleeved velvet dress.

Mae parked the car on the sidewalk outside of the gate and walked her mother in, both of them carrying presents. The party seemed to be in full swing—Christmas tunes set a jovial ambience, and the walls were decked out in wreaths and ornaments and lights. This was the most festive Mae had ever seen this place.

The doors to the manor were left wide open, beckoning the guests in. Adults stood in small groups in the main foyer holding glasses of bubbly. They chatted merrily as if they knew each other. Mae guessed they were the parents of Pete's friends, since the party was in his honor.

“I didn't realize that you meant your friend was this rich,” her mother whispered to Mae, linking their arms together. “I'm going to get lost in here,” she chuckled, clutching the gift box in her hands a bit tighter.

Mae let out a breathy laugh. “That's what I thought, too, when I first came here.” Her first time here had been her very first party… and her first appearance as Snow. She shuddered, searching the halls for any familiar faces.

She led them down the hall to the rather large living room. A massive, leafy green fir tree sat in the center of the room, reaching the ceiling with its golden and glowing star topper. Each layer of leaf was bedazzled with red, blue, and gold ornaments, and strings of popcorn and cranberry garlands, as well as the all-original warm LED lights. Presents of all different shapes, sizes, and colors were piled beneath the tree onto the fluffy Sherpa rug.

Mae suddenly frowned. The things she brought were so small compared to everyone else's. Mae's mother seemed to be thinking the same and patted her daughter's elbow.

“It's fine, honey. It's the thought that counts, right?”

“Right.” Mae gulped, leaning down to arrange Parker and Dustin's gifts with the rest. The same was done with Pete's. They had planned to deliver Icelyn and Jo's after the party.

“Okay,” her mother smiled brightly, “let's go find these three lucky boys.”

Mae tried returning the smile. “Let's go.” Sliding past more groups of adults and children scrambling about chasing each other, the two made it out of the living room and back into the foyer. Mae wandered though the house, heading toward the backyard. She knew every hallway and room in this house. She could sense where she was. She shook herself out of the daze she was in—Snow was no more. Both she and her mother had given up alcohol. No more parties. The map in her brain just happened to be convenient.

The back lot behind the house with the infinity pool overlooking a wide expanse of green field was swarming with more guests. Mae didn't know how many people Jins and the Lys knew, but it sure was a lot.

Mae's mother gaped at the beautiful landscape. The sun setting behind the trees in the distance made it all the more picturesque.

And in the… the smaller distance, were the two boys Mae was subtly dreading to see. Parker and Dustin and a few others were crowded around a bonfire, beers in hand. Wide Cheshire cat grins were spread across both of their faces as they laughed loudly with each other. Happy wrinkles creased near their eyes and their eyes shone bright themselves.

Mae felt a pang of guilt hit her in the chest. They were so happy. She didn't deserve those two. Parker was right: they'd let a stupid girl get in the way of their friendship. She'd let herself get in the way of their friendship.

Her mother followed her unbreaking gaze and nodded in understanding. “Are they…?”

The silent question had Mae bobbing her head.

“Go talk to them,” she urged, unlinking their arms to nudge her daughter onward.

Mae shook her head. “No, I can't. Do you see how happy they are? I—I shouldn't have gotten in the way in the first place. I don't deserve any of them. I've only made things worse. I'm not going to do that again.”

“So what are you going to do after this, Mae?” Her mother questioned, hands on her hips. “Are you just going to go back to school, see them, and act as if the three of you never had anything going on in the first place? I hate to say it, honey, but you're being a coward…”

“Then that's what I'll be,” Mae replied softly, her words anything but. Something flashed in her mother's eyes, but Mae was already walking away.

She followed after her, the two of them zooming through the corridors of the house much faster than they did a few minutes ago.

Oomph!” Mae gasped, stopping short. Peter Ly sat on the ground before her having had ran straight into her. He glanced up and beamed. “MAE! You're here!”

Mae grinned, bending down onto one knee to look at him at eye level. “Of course I'm here, Pete. I wouldn't miss your Christmas Party for the world.”

When he stood, Mae did the same. Her mother stood to the side watching.

“I got you a present,” he chirped. “It's under the tree. Parky says we can't open presents until later, but I can give it to you now if you want. Parky and Dusty don't have to know.”

Mae's smile faltered slightly. “You're so sweet, Pete. I got you a present, too, but I think we should just wait until later.”

Pete frowned slightly. “Oh, that's okay. Does Parker know you're here? Have you met Dustin's parents yet? They're back from their trip. Also, did you know that the popcorn strings on the tree taste better than the popcorn in the bowls in the kitchen?”

All of the questions were forced at her in one breath. At least Mae could now confirm that Dustin's parents were back.

“Well,” she began, “I don't think the boys know I'm here yet—but don't tell them, okay?” Peter gave her a bizarre look, but she only continued, “No, I have not met Dustin's parents yet, but I'm sure I will later. And no, I didn't know that. I've never tried Christmas tree popcorn before.”

Pete snickered. “You should try it. No one will notice anyway.”

“Very true.”

He paused, his expression showing his hesitation. “Why… Why don't you want me to tell them that you're here?”

Mae bit her bottom lip. She knew this was coming… how could she possibly explain this to him? “It's… complicated. That probably doesn't make any sense.”

“Are you mad at them? Are they mad at you?”

Mae quickly shook her head. “No, no. It's not that, Pete. It's just… it's hard to explain. You may not understand until you're older.”

Peter balked, frowning dramatically and crossing his arms over his chest. “Everyone keeps saying that. Why don't you try to explain it to me? I can learn it.”

The corner of her lips quirked up. “Okay, but you have to be a good listener… boy A and boy B are best friends. They have been since years and years ago. But one day, a girl comes into their lives. This girl went by two names and two different personalities: there was type 1 and type 2. Boy A liked type 1, while boy B liked type 2 of the girl.

“Then they both realize that these types were the same exact person. They fought over this girl and now there's a gap…” Mae's voice broke. Maybe she just wasn't ready for a relationship. Maybe that was it. That's why she didn't put enough effort in when it counted. “... There's a gap between the girl and the boys. But the boys built a bridge between the gaps to each other. The girl left the gap there.”

Pete gazed up at her, ears perked and eyes gleaming. “Does the girl like the boys?” He asked her softly.

She nodded, just barely. “Of course she does. It's hard to explain, Pete.”

“You're the girl… aren't you?”

She smiled through her silver-lined eyes. “Yes. I am.”

He gulped, staring at the ground. “I can help you,” he told her. “I can help you build a bridge to them.”

Mae shook her head, “Thank you, but I couldn't do that. I couldn't have you do that for me. You're so sweet, Pete, and the bridge between us will never fall. But… it's time that gap stayed. That gap should stay because they are happier with that gap.”

The boy stared up at her for only a second before hugging her tightly. Mae returned the hug, blinking back the traitorous tears in her eyes. She shouldn't be crying. She shouldn't be crying. She shouldn't be—

“I get it, Mae,” she heard him whisper, a barely audible sound. “I get it.”

a/n: Pete's always been a sweet kid... Will Mae mend the relationship between them or leave it broken?

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

734K 14.4K 51
(Messy plot) (4/5 plot holes, maybe more) 𝐄𝐱𝐜𝐞𝐫𝐩𝐭 - My hands dig into his shoulders, adjusting to the size of him inside of me. He gives me a...
29.3K 928 25
(Sequel to The Quiet One) Looking around I see that I'm not only in the air but I'm being picked up by Jack. I look at him with huge eyes an...
4.3K 14 20
Trigger warning for the following: -mature content -some strong language -fighting -mentions of abuse Everything was cool. It was fine and normal...
206K 5.9K 45
Cute and shy chemistry Professor Cool and bold student. A love between Axel, a chemistry professor who was passionate about teaching and hacking. Axe...