Golden Storms | #Wattys2020

By highdisdain

WINNER OF READERS CHOICE AWARDS 2020 (Historical Fiction) Stone hearts. Silver to gold. And the fierce nee... More

Golden Storms
Character Mood Boards
Prologue
1. T H E L A S T D A N C E
2. F A M I L Y
3. A J N A B E E
4. M Y T H S
5. I N T I Z A A R
6. D A W N
7. A R R I V A L
8. F I R S T L O O K
9. R E J E C T I O N
10. R O A D S
11. W O U N D
12. R E F L E X E S
13. M E R R I M E N T
14. R E S C U E M I S S I O N
15. T R A P P E D
16. A D V E N T U R E S & T R U T H S
17. T H E D E S E R T
18. P O S S E S S E D
19. D A R K N E S S
20. B U R D E N S
21. C R O S S R O A D S
22. M I S S I N G
24. C H A S E - P A R T ١
25. C H A S E - P A R T ٢
26. C A U G H T
27. B R I T T L E
28. D U O
29. S N A K E
30. W A T C H D U T Y
31. I N S U R A N C E
32. B A N D I T S
33. N I G H T
34. R E T U R N
35. T H E D E A L
Sequel
Readers Choice Awards

23. D O V E

9.2K 809 130
By highdisdain

A/N: Just a short chapter but I hope you all enjoy it. There are some very important turns of events happening here, and I hope they will all make sense as we progress on into the book! Please leave comments!! I really want to hear your theories!

~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You have to right your wrongs. Otherwise they always catch up to you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~

T H E A R M Y, ربيع الثاني
H I J A A Z

The royal tent was warmly lit. The white fabric was illuminated with an orangish hue from the roaring fire, carrying warmth to all sides. The cot was arranged perfectly, the Persian rug spread over the dry ground. The prince himself was seated on a grand chair that could not be called a throne, but was treated as such in the encampment. His armour hung on a stand behind him, for he had retired it to dress in his Tridarian robes. They were a deep maroon terracotta colour, matching the aura of his tent. His hair was freshly washed and perfume hung around him.

Taimur lifted the goblet to his lips. The amber liquid gleamed warmly in the firelight, inviting itself to course down his throat and enlighten his mind. It was really quite wonderful, he thought as he gazed down into the swirling magical liquid, it had the ability to numb his colourful past.

He'd been resorting to it a lot more since he'd abandoned Hudayfa at the fort. As much as he hated him to his core, Hudayfa made good company - he was on the same intellectual level, could understand Taimur before anyone else. Currently the Crown Prince was surrounded by fools.

But it needed to be done. He could not afford Hudayfa's companionship any longer. He had been dangerously close to trusting him again.

No doubt the silver eyed fiend was enjoying the company of his fiancé. Taimur smirked - Hudayfa would have ripped her to shreds by now, mentally.

How long will you punish him?

The voice in his head whispered faintly. He frowned down at the liquid. You're supposed to be quiet right now, he thought back.

And, he smiled to the flames, this is hardly punishment...yet.

Be careful.

The fabric of his tent rippled as it was pushed aside. Ozer and Yunus entered, followed by Zuhair, each in their armour, unlike their intoxicated Crown Prince.

Doing their duties, the voice hissed, unlike you. Your father would not be pleased.

Not my concern, Taimur lazily replied. He cast the last of the goblet's contents down his throat before extending his hand for the princes to kiss. They did so, before settling down onto the luxurious cushions arranged. A slave boy rushed to their services, arranging a hookah pipe and pouring expensive intoxicants into their goblets.

Yunus wrinkled his nose in disgust.

"We should have bought women slaves" he muttered, "at least we could have enjoyed ourselves in this God foresaken land"

"You depleted the ones from the fort already?"

"They were hardly game"

Ozer smirked, his hair falling over his eyes lazily, green cat like eyes twinkling.

"Pity" Taimur murmured. The darkness within him swelled, "let me elevate the thirst just an ounce worth"

Yunus straightened up eagerly, eyes shining with lust. Ozer simply looked curious.

Taimur beckoned the slave boy, "bring her out" he ordered.

The slave boy paled, but he knew better than to voice protest to Taimur. He scampered off, disappearing outside.

The tent fabric rippled once again, and this time two assassins entered, a woman between them.

Taimur watched in delight as Yunus and Ozer's eyes widened in awe, their jaws dropping. Zuhair's gaze was cast to the ground - he knew better than to even lay eyes on what could never be his.

For the woman before them was stunning. Her miserable expression did nothing to diminish from her beauty. Her wavy brown hair rippled down her back, forced to be combed to perfection as she struggled profusely. Her milky white skin was in bloom with pink across her cheeks and nose. Her huge brown doe like eyes gleamed with unshed tears.

"Where-" Yunus asked in a hoarse voice, "where did you find her?"

"I had Zuhair intercept a caravan of Inumidians" Taimur drawled, "imagine his surprise when they were hiding this beauty inside"

His Right Hand smirked, "it seemed unjust to leave her amidst villagers"

The girl cowered behind the assassins, an irony in the making. Their iron grip on her forearms forced her forward. She began to cry, sobbing out words in a foreign language.

"You did not elevate this thirst at all" Ozer murmured, eyes flashing.

"She will be a gift" Taimur announced, "so do not touch her. And keep her presence a secret. Understood?"

The easygoing Taimur was gone. The princes understood his warning.

"For whom is this beautiful gift?" Yunus asked carefully.

Taimur smirked, "that is for me to know-" he pointed a pale finger to Yunus's chest, "and for you to find out"

The princes respectfully bowed their heads before taking leave. None of them wanted to be around to cross any invisible lines. The hookah lay dejected behind them, the expensive liquid shimmered in the fire light.

"Shadow them" Taimur ordered Zuhair coldly, "ensure they do not breathe a word of this"

"My Leige" his Right Hand bowed his head before backing out of the tent.

"Come my dear" Taimur purred, beckoning to the sobbing girl. She was pushed toward him, where she stumbled in her skirts and would have hit the ground if not for his swift movements.

He'd gathered her in his arms in seconds, moving as swift as lightening. He had the ability to be that unpredictable, and he revelled in the girl's huge, shocked eyes. The warm brown orbs were so beautiful that he found himself gazing down into them for just a few stolen moments. Her lashes, impossibly long, were curled up to further open up her eyes. She thrummed with health and good upbringing. If he hadn't known any better, he would have thought she was royalty.

The moment shattered as she recoiled away from him, shaking from head to foot. The poor thing was so afraid she couldn't even look at him again, instead huge tears rolled down her pink cheeks and onto her dress.

"Aw" he murmured, reaching out to wipe one away. She froze completely as his fingers brushed against her cheek. He could hear her heart pounding against her ribs in terror.

It was all he needed to know. She was untouched, and the perfect gift for his purposes.

"Hadeel" he whispered, naming the unnamed beauty, "my little dove"

The stars twinkled less brightly that night, inviting the clouds to veil the unfortunate  happenings in the human world below.

***

Outside Zuhair had followed Ozer and Yunus to their tents. Neither had uttered a word - they knew better. The night had thickened substantially, and the troops were either deep asleep or on watch. Statue like heads turned in his direction as he made his way back, glancing at him once before returning to their positions. The marble like discipline of each soldier was uncanny.

He could feel the strange feeling of being followed. The back of his neck prickled. His hand automatically tightened around his dagger, ready to fling it at moment's notice. He did not feel fear, just a simple amusement and a pinch of caution at whoever shadowed him.

He decided to take the encounter somewhere private.

Moving to the outskirts of the encampment, he waited in the darkness, a smirk touching his lips.

"You may reveal yourself" he coaxed in a silky voice.

Nothing.

He slowly turned on his heels-

He did not even hear it coming.

One moment he was mid turn, and the next a strong gloved hand found his throat, the other knocking the dagger out of his fist. Zuhair gasped and gurgled, unable to make a sound. The figure before him was completely concealed in a hood, and the darkness did not allow him to ascertain any feature except the strength coursing through the stranger's fingers coiled around his neck.

"Wh-who-" Zuhair spluttered, his face turning blue.

The figure lowered him to the ground roughly, muffling any sounds with ease. The gloved hand moved up his throat forced open his mouth while the other stuffed parchment deep into it as he struggled.

The figure  rose to his feet, tall and foreboding in the darkness. He seemed to be a darker shadow in the sea of shadows, tall and lean. Zuhair felt his throat close as the parchment blocked his air pipe, and he scrabbled to retrieve it. Before he could do so however, a booted foot connected with his head, sending him into oblivion.

WHAT DO YALL RECKON????? Who is the woman??? Can anything move Taimur's heart? And who's this guy who can catch even Zuhair off guard? I really want to hear your thoughts! Make sure you VOTE, COMMENT and SHARE!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

116K 7.1K 26
#1 in spiritual in Emerald Gem Awards 2020 #3 in spiritual section in Starlight Awards 2020 It is a story of a girl who love the life. Who was a liv...
154K 4.9K 47
DO NOT COPY MY WORK Mir's! The name itself screams power. Mir's are the most influential and rich nawab of the whole Karachi. Feared and Respected b...
44.3K 3.3K 31
In a kingdom--Dhahab kingdom--where as a Grown man, the number of scars on your body shows how strong and powerful you're, exists Jawad bin Tariq al...
Khalifa By laiba

Mystery / Thriller

1.8M 101K 56
✵ featured ~ ❝Once upon a time in Baghdad, a street girl teaches the Khalifa of the kingdom why a king needs a queen.❞ ✵ Started: June 5, 2021. Comp...