FADED (book I)

By oopsydaisy95

In the attic of Jade's childhood was an old trunk, locked. And even though she couldn't pry it open, nor did... More

COPYRIGHT & CAST
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
Epilogue
Author's Note

XXIV

45.2K 1.3K 1.4K
By oopsydaisy95

A/N: over 7k words, that's about the longest chapter I have ever written. Will your forgive me for the long wait now? *Cue puppy dog eyes*

"I hate Mondays."

"Join the club, sis," Noah grumbled, scratching the nest of hair on top of his head.

He nudged me away from the bathroom mirror and started brushing his teeth. I was already up at the crack of dawn. I tried to go back to sleep but thoughts going through my head kept me up, also my stomach hurt for some reason. Jordan blamed it on the nerves for going back to school after the incident with Penny. I think I ate too much cookies before I went to sleep.

"So what was that all about," Noah suddenly spoke up, toothpaste all over his mouth.

"What was what all about?" I feigned not knowing what he was referring to.

"Last night, with Ash," he cleared up.

I sighed and picked up my comb, starting to brush my hair. "It's Ash, there's always something up with him."

"Seemed serious this time."

"Seemed serious this time," I mocked.

He cocked a single eyebrow, clearly unimpressed. "Really? What are you, five?"

"No, you're five," I shot back weakly.

"Someone's clearly in a bad mood today."

I glared at him as he filled a cup with water to rinse his mouth. He lifted it to his lips and I tipped the cup over, spilling the water all over his chin and chest just to spite him.

He looked at me with a blank face. "Real mature."

"Real mature," I mimicked, proving his point once again.

"Stop copying me!"

"Stop copying me!" I yelled back, storming out of the bathroom.

I exhaled loudly, what the hell is wrong with me?

And just when I thought my Monday morning couldn't go worse, I entered straight into a warzone. My bedroom looked like a bomb had exploded in it - my matrass was turned over, my carpet was rolled to one side, my dresser was pushed across the room and my stuff and clothes were everywhere.

"ASHTON!"

He was rummaging through my drawers, pulling out a make-up bag that belonged to Lauren. "What the hell is this? You better not be putting that shit on your face Jade."

"What are you doing! What is this mess?!"

"I'm looking for something," he answered casually.

"Give that to me." I stepped in when he started flicking through the pages of my diary and snatched it out of his prying hands.

"Where is it?"

"Where is what?" I hugged the diary closer to my chest, relieved he didn't read the part I wrote about the encounter with my dad. "I swear to god if this mess isn't cleaned up by the time I get back from school, I will - "

"Jade. Where is it?"

"And why in the world would you take down all my pictures and frames from the wall? You even broke my lamp, what has that lamp ever done to you?"

"Jade!" he grabbed me by the shoulders, fixing his piercing stare on me and I knew there was no way I could escape now. "Where did you hide it?"

I gulped. "Where did I hide what?"

He clenched his jaw and wet his lips, clearly trying to contain his patience. "You know damn well what. Where is it?"

"I don't know," I mumbled, avoiding his demanding gaze.

He shook my shoulders. "Jade, don't fucking start playing dumb. What did you do with the drugs," he forced through gritted teeth.

"What are you gonna do with it?"

"None of your business," he spat. "Now I'm only gonna ask this one last time, where is it?"

"You're looking in the wrong place. I'm not stupid to hide it in my own room."

"Then where the fuck is it!" he growled, nostrils flaring.

I tried to shrug out of his hold but he wouldn't release me. "Ash, if you don't let me go, I'll scream bloody murder and tell everyone you tried to hurt me."

He narrowed his blue eyes at me. "Try me."

I tried to glance around my room, searching for possible escapes and calculating the time it would take me to take the risk. Ashton studied me closely and I think he suspected my next move, before I could even think about making a break for it, he caught me midair.

His arms were tight around my waist, my legs flailing about. "Ash, let me go!"

He threw me on my chair and pinned me down with his hands and glare. "Jade if I were you, I'd start talking."

"For your information, I was planning on giving you your stupid stash back. But now I want you to clean my room first."

"I'm sorry if I gave off the wrong impression, but you're not in the position to make demands here. Either you tell me where you hid the drugs or I'll tell Jordan and Tristan all about the deal you made with our dear, precious mother."

My face fell, betraying myself. "How do you even know it's her, you don't have any proof."

"I don't need any proof, I just know," he smirked. "Now which one is it, option one or two?"

I chewed my bottom lip, contemplating my next move. "Promise me you won't chew her out about this. It isn't her fault, I'm the one that asked her."

"Whatever," he brushed off with a sigh. "Where is it?"

"Promise me first."

"Jade." He gave me an exasperated look. "She gave her underage daughter 5k worth of drugs, now I know I'm not a saint, but even I know how irresponsible that is. And you want me to just let her get away with that? Do you have any idea how dangerous that was?"

I dropped my head, tucking my chin against my chest. "I just wanted to help," I muttered.

"I know that." He cupped my chin and lifted my gaze. "And I appreciate it, even if it's about the dumbest thing you've ever done, it feels nice to know you'd go great lengths to make it up to me."

"You're not mad at me anymore?"

"I'm not mad at you anymore, JJ. Believe it or not but I don't like fighting with you either."

"Ash, please don't do this. She just tried to help me like I tried to help you." I didn't want my mother to get in trouble for something I did. I knew it was reckless from her and I knrw she should've been the one to tell me what I was doing was wrong like a parent should. But this was my mother we were talking about, she didn't know the difference between right and wrong ...

"I know her moral compass is off but that's not an excuse. You're just a kid Jade and at the end of the day you're bound to make mistakes but she should've known better."

I dragged my toes against the edge of my carpet as I mulled over his words. Deep down I knew he was right, it was just another thing to admit it.

"... Behind the dryer in the basement," I eventually gave in.

His eyes softened. "You know I'm just trying to look out for ya."

I barely nodded.

He cupped the back of my neck and pulled me closer, kissing my forehead. "Love you," his lips moved against my skin.

I glanced up at him and realized he was waiting for something. My lips twitched. "I love you too."

His hand slipped to give my cheek a gentle tap. "You better," he teased.

FADED

"You ready?"

I looked at Jordan, fiddling with my braid. "Not really."

"You'll be fine," he reassured me as he got out of the car.

I did the same, shouldering my backpack. Feeling every pair of eyes on me didn't do anything to ease my nerves. I felt Jordan's hand on my lower back, gently nudging me forward. As I climbed the front steps of the school entrance, I did everything to ignore the stares and whispers. I guess what happened with Penny had reached everyone, it's a shock how fast rumors go around.

I noticed Jordan glaring at some of the students, causing them to quickly look away - male students in particular. The girls weren't easily intimidated, they seemed to enjoy the view and it took everything in me not to roll my eyes.

"Did you have to wear your uniform?" I grumbled to my brother.

Jordan's lips twitched in a half-smile. "I don't know what you're talking about."

I caught some of my friends waving at me, wishing me good luck. Oh I will need a lot of it.

Principal Fredericks greeted us and invited us into his office. I took a seat next to Jordan who winked at me in an attempt to help me relax.

"On behalf of the school board, we wanted to offer you our sincerest apology," Mr. Fredericks started. "School should be a safe place from any kind of violence. Parents and guardians entrust their child to us to be looked after and protected, and it pains me to know we have failed."

I offered a tight lipped smile. "It's okay."

"No, it's not okay," he told me. He turned to my brother. "I can assure you sir that we are taking every step needed to improve our safety management and policies. I believe safety in schools is necessary to support the academic success of each child, giving them the opportunity to learn and achieve in a better future."

"I'm convinced that you'll do everything in your power to prevent this from happening again," Jordan said, his tone even and deadly serious.

Mr. Fredericks visibly gulped. "I know we have broken your trust once before Mr. Moore but I can assure you your sister is in safe hands."

Oh they were probably talking about that incident with my mother when she took me from school to go shoplifting. Fun times.

"I'll have you know that I rarely give away second chances, so I'd handle it very wisely."

I shot my brother a questioning look. Was that a threat?

"Of course, Mr. Moore, you have my word," Mr. Fredericks nodded, clearly cowed as he tugged at his tie.

I cleared my throat, trying to cut the tension looming over us. "Uhm, what happened - what about Penny - uh, I mean Coach Penelope?"

"She has resigned. I suppose that was the smartest thing to do."

I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding. Jordan found my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.

FADED

"You're not gonna eat?" Lauren asked me at lunch.

"Not really hungry." I still had cramps and I knew it was a manifestation of all the stress I'd been through the last few days - the swimming accident with Penny, meeting my dad and the whole ordeal with Ashton. It was starting to take a toll on me.

I think I've had about enough drama to last me a lifetime.

Lauren gently kicked me with her foot under the table. I looked up and she shot me a soft smile.

"How're you holding up? You okay?"

I shrugged. "I'm just peachy."

"Hey, you know what they say, you have to fight through some bad days to earn the best days."

A little smile tugged at my lips. "You sound like my neighbor, Marion."

"I used to own a cat named Marion," Preston commented randomly, seeming to appear out of nowhere.

I watched as he pulled out an empty chair next me, sitting down. He casted a look at my tray and picked up my apple, taking a huge bite out of it. Juice trickled down his chin and the way he casually wiped it off with the back of his hand was strangely attractive ... WOAH hold up!

I did not just think that.

I crossed my arms over my chest. "Oh sure Preston go ahead, please help yourself. You want some of my soda too?"

"Cool. Thanks, Jacobs." Either he was oblivious to the sarcasm lacing my voice or he was just being a jerk. I'm putting my money on the latter.

"Shouldn't you be with your girlfriend?" Lauren hinted.

"I need a break from her," he said as he lifted my bottle to his lips. I was so not gonna drink from that again.

"You know here's a thought, you could always just break up with her," she suggested.

He snorted. "Hey, I don't have a death wish, thank you very much."

"What could she possibly do? Get revenge by sending your dick pics to everyone," I joked.

"You guys don't understand," he said, the humor temporarily leaving his tone and I wondered what that was about.

"You signed up for this the minute you agreed to let her change her relationship status on Facebook," Lauren pointed out.

"Please stop reminding me," he groaned, taking another bite from the apple. "So I heard Coach P stepped down. You must be in exaltation."

I couldn't help but chuckle at his choice of grammar. "Is that little Preston using big words?"

"I guess my 365 New-Words-A-Year Page-A-Day Calendar is paying off," he grinned with his trademark wink.

Something in my stomach fluttered and I quickly put a stop to it by shoving some fries down my throat.

He cleared his throat, doing that thing where he licked his lips clean and flexed his jaw and I wondered why the hell I was suddenly noticing all these stupid little meaningless stupid details.

"So your birthday is tomorrow, can you give me a hint of what you want? You should probably now that I'm only willing to spend like eight dollars and fifty-six cents, I'm on a tight budget you know. Been saving up for a new bike."

I frowned. "Wait, how do you know about my birthday?"

He gave me a look. "'Cause of the birthday party."

"What birthday party?"

"OW! What the fuck?" he glared at Lauren across the table as he rubbed his leg. Realization hit him and a dumbfounded look took over his features. "Oh ... "

"What birthday party?" I demanded again.

"I'm gonna conjecture that I wasn't supposed to tell," he said sheepishly. "That by the way was the word of yesterday."

I slammed my hands down on the table. "What birthday party!"

"It was supposed to be a surprise. Surprise!" Lauren smiled uneasily. "Something your brothers organized. Please don't be mad."

"I'm not mad," I huffed. "I just don't like surprises."

"Good thing I can't shut my mouth, then," Preston smirked, poking me in the side.

I shook his hands off, ignoring the tingle running up my spine when his hands brushed mine. I was losing my mind over here.

"It was Noah's idea," Lauren started saying. "He said you needed the distraction. Oh and apparently his girlfriend loves planning birthday parties so yeah she was in exaltation to help."

Preston smiled widely, giving her a high five.

I looked between the two and I was confused as to why we suddenly all got along after all these years.

"Don't tell me they invited the entire school," I was almost too scared to ask.

Preston slung an arm around my shoulders. "Don't worry, Angela's not gonna be there."

"No but you will. And she'll find out, Angela always finds out."

"So? We'll just tell her I was there to work on that group project."

I shrugged his arm off my shoulder, not liking the way my body responded to his touch. What was going on with me, it's like I couldn't get a hold of my own damn hormones. Get a grip, Jade!

"Speaking of your girlfriend."

Preston followed Lauren's gaze and tensed up. "Fuck."

"What the hell are you doing here?" Angela threw her shiny black hair over her shoulder. "I've been everywhere looking for you."

"We were just setting up a date to work on our assignment," he easily lied through his teeth. "Right, Jacobs?"

I eyed him for a second. "Yup."

Something dark flashed through Angela's eyes as she studied him closely. Preston's teeth clenched as he leveled her with the same fierce stare. I felt like an entire wordless conversation was being exchanged right in front of us and I had no idea what was happening. It was only ten seconds but it felt like much longer when Preston suddenly looked away first.

The barely present victorious smile on Angela's face seemed familiar to me but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

"Whatever. Preston let's go," she ordered, leaving no room for discussion.

I turned to look at Preston, wondering why he let her boss him around. He held my gaze for a second too long before he stood up. He threw the half-eaten apple in the air and caught it nonchalantly.

"Thanks for the apple," he said. I half-expected him to wink but this time he didn't.

Lauren and I watched as he walked off with Angela hanging off his arm. Her lips were moving as she spoke to him but you didn't need 20/20 vision to see that he was paying no attention. The way her fingers clasped around his arm, her sharp nails digging into his tan skin - it reminded me of a monster hooking its claws into its prey.

"Hey Lauren?" I spoke, never taking my eyes off Preston. "Remember last year when we stole the answers from that biology test at Mr. Rose's class? And we thought we got away with it, but Angela caught us. Remember how she threatened to tell on us?"

"Yeah, she promised to keep her lips sealed if we played her personal slave for like two whole months. Why? What's that got to do with anything?" Lauren wondered out loud, confused.

"Angela has something on Preston."

Lauren's eyes widened. "Oh my god, you really think so?" she whispered.

"There is no way he'd deliberately date a grade A bitch like her. Even if she lets him cop a feel."

FADED

Those cramps were killing me and I just couldn't wait for one of my brothers to show up and take us home. All I wanted was to take a hot shower and crawl into my bed for the rest of the day.

"Hey, what's your favorite color?" Stella suddenly asked me.

School was over and we were sitting outside on a bench. Stella was sitting on Noah's lap, dangling her long legs back and forth. Her hair looked like silk and she had the prettiest smile to match her personality - god, when will I grow out of this child's body and be a woman instead of a flat-chested girl. I already knew what I was gonna wish for my birthday.

"It depends. What for?"

"Oh just wondering."

Another cramp hit me full force and I hugged my backpack closer against my stomach.

"What's your favorite drink?"

"Milkshakes and smoothies."

"And what if you had to choose between cupcakes or a big cake, what would you pick?"

"I like cupcakes," I said.

"What flavor?"

These questions were getting detailed but I knew what she was doing. She wanted to make this birthday party perfect for me and the fact that she actually wanted to waste her time on someone like me, made me feel special. I decided to humor her and answered all her questions.

A honk sounded in the distance and Stella jumped out of Noah's lap. "That's my ride. I'll see you two tomorrow."

She bended over and kissed Noah twice, smiling sweetly. I nearly startled when she suddenly flung her arms around me, gathering me in a big hug. She swayed me from side to side. We pulled apart and she waved us goodbye one last time before running off to the car.

"She's a keeper."

Noah smirked cockily. "I know."

"Hey, I know about the surprise party tomorrow."

"What?" A look of disappointment flashed in his eyes. "Who told you?"

"Doesn't matter, I would've have found out one way or another."

"Can you at least act surprised? Stella put a lot of work into it and she'll be crushed if she knew."

"Don't worry about it." I half-smiled. "Thanks by the way. You shouldn't have done it."

"Ah, don't mention it. You know I'd do anything for you." He playfully pulled at my braid. "Besides, I think you need the distraction after everything that happened."

"God knows I do," I sighed, I wasn't going to argue with that.

We didn't have to wait long for our ride to arrive. Tristan ruffled Noah's hair up when he climbed into the passenger's side.

"Hey kiddos!" he greeted in his usual cheery mood.

I threw my backpack onto the floor of the car and searched for a position to reduce the pain in my lower abdomen, mumbling a faint hey back.

"Don't I get a kiss from you, cutie pie?"

I caught Tristan's worried eyes through the rearview mirror. Pulling myself up, I leaned over the front seat to kiss his cheek.

"You okay, baby girl?"

"Stomach hurts," I muttered, slumping back against my seat and putting my seatbelt on.

"Awww babe, that's probably the stress." He pulled away from his parking spot and onto the road. "How was school today?"

"Boring."

"So uh, Jordan told me you guys had a talk with the principal this morning. How did it go?" The way his knuckles whitened around the steering wheel, was a sign that the incident still affected him.

"It was alright I guess. He apologized for not stepping in sooner." My eyes found the side of my brother's face and I could tell by the vein pulsing on his neck that he was refraining from something. I knew he wanted to ask me about Penny but he clearly didn't know how to broach the subject so I decided to put him out of his misery.

"Penny resigned."

His chest visibly fell as if he let out a breath of relief. The tension in his shoulders and posture slowly faded away.

"Oh, I think it's for the best."

I nodded faintly in agreement until I realized he couldn't see me. "Yeah, I think so too."

Tristan turned to Noah, smacking him hard on the leg. "How about you pretty boy. How's football?"

I was glad for the change of subject and turned to face the window, resting my clammy forehead against the cool surface.

Noah rubbed the pain away on his thigh. "I got a big game coming up in two weeks, should be an easy win."

"Hey, don't get too confident now. How's your girlfriend? You should invite her over for dinner some time."

Noah looked up from his phone and scoffed. "Yeah and introduce her to you guys? Ashton saw her once and didn't skip the opportunity to hit on her. You guys are just gonna ask embarrassing questions, like if we use protection. Jade's the only decent one I'm allowing her to meet."

"Do you?" Tristan asked.

"Do I what?"

"Do you use protection? Cover your stump before you hump. No glove, no love. Don't make a mistake, cover your snake. Don't be a fool, cover your tool," Tristan chuckled. "I got a lot more where that came from."

Noah laughed. "Oh I got one too; if you're not going to sack it, go home and whack it. Or no, this one's better - don't let your affection give her an infection, put some protection on that erection."

Tristan was doubled up. "Ooh nice! I'm gonna use that one."

"Oh my god," I groaned in disgust, closing my eyes to tune out their dirty talk.

Brothers.

FADED

Once Tristan dropped us off at home, I made a straight beeline to the bathroom. I opted for a bath instead of a shower. I soaked into the water until I was wrinkled like an old lady - funnily enough, I actually did feel like an old woman. My head hurt, my stomach hurt, my muscles hurt, everything hurt.

I dried off and put on some warm clothes, feeling cold for some reason. The smell of a home cooked meal lead me downstairs. I found Jordan in the kitchen, making some chicken soup. I dragged my sock clad feet to him and hugged him from behind, my arms around his waist and my face nestled right beneath the curve of his shoulder blades.

"Hey." My voice was muffled against his t-shirt.

"Hey you," I could hear him smile.

I held him for a few more minutes while he finished up cutting some vegetables. I basked in the warmth radiating off of him and waited until he was done.

He washed his hands and turned in my hold. I didn't release him and just buried my head against his chest instead.

He hugged me back and ran a hand through the damp strands of my hair. "Tristan said you still felt sick. Is it still your stomach?"

"Hmm," I nodded against him.

"I made you some soup and I'll give you something before you go to sleep. You'll see, you'll feel much better in the morning," he reassured me, kissing the top of my head.

"I hope so."

"How was school today?" he asked, rubbing his warm hands along my back.

"I still got some looks but other than that, it was alright."

"Good. Why don't you go lay down for a bit, I'll call you when dinner's ready."

"Okay."

I let him peck my cheek before I pulled away. The tv was on and it wasn't until I walked closer that I realized Ashton was sprawled on the couch, snoring softly. He had pulled his hoodie over his head, hiding half of his face. I sauntered towards him and lay down next to him.

"Ash, move over."

"Hmm?" he hummed sleepily.

I wiggled until I found the right position with my back against his chest. His heavy arm dropped around my waist and he pushed his face against my shoulder, his warm breath fanning against the back of my neck.

I watched some basketball game on the screen but found it hard to focus. My eyes were getting heavier by the second and the voice of the sportscaster in the background was slowly lulling me to sleep.

FADED

Something tickled my face, pulling me out of my slumber. I wrinkled my nose and tucked my face deeper into Ashton's arm. The tickling was back and I puffed out some air in irritation, waving away whatever it was that decided to wake me up from my sweet dreams. I was falling back asleep when the ticklish attacker was back.

I slowly peeled my eyes open, one by one. My vision was still blurry. I picked up my fists and started rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

I jumped out of my skin and I would've fallen off the couch if it weren't for Ashton's arm.

"What the fuck is wrong with you woman?" he growled groggily, clearly not happy he was woken up.

When I finally woke up properly, I stared up at my mother in utter confusion. Her face was caked with make-up, she presented me with a full view of her boobs and how she didn't get cold in that skirt was beyond me. She looked like she was just given a hug by a dozen of puppy's - I thought her face would break if she smiled wider. The happy look she was going with didn't fool me, with her dilated pupils she looked more like she was some crazy woman.

"My birthday is tomorrow, mom."

"Oh." The smile on her face faltered. "Well I'd rather be too early than too late. Now come on, get up, let me take a look at you."

"Leave her alone," Ashton grumbled behind me, his arm tightening around me as if I was his only source of warmth. He looked like he was falling back asleep.

"Mom, why don't you help me set the table," Noah came to the rescue.

She turned and beamed up at him, grabbing his face in her hands and peppering him with kisses. I bit back a laugh when she left lipstick stains all over his cheeks.

Noah cringed, trying to get away from her. "Okay m-mom, that's enough, please stop."

"I missed you so much, how are you? How's your girlfriend Stacy. You still play basketball?" she fired one question after the other and I felt bad for Noah.

Ashton yawned loudly behind me. "That woman is way too hyper. Imma need some of that stuff she used."

I turned to face him and smacked his chest. "Don't joke about that. Promise me you won't make a scene."

"Who, me? I never make a scene," was all he said as he rubbed his hand down his face.

Putting Ashton and Mom in the same room always lead to a fight.

"Ash, please. I'm really not in the mood."

He looked at me for a full minute and I could practically hear his inner thoughts battling each other.

"Jade, get off. I can barely feel my arm."

Knowing I wouldn't get a better response than that, I got up and stretched. Tristan walked through the front door and shrugged out of his jacket.

"Wow you guys look like crap," he laughed.

Ashton shot him a fake smile as he walked towards the kitchen. "My middle finger salutes you."

"Right back at ya," Tristan flipped him off before going up to me. He effortlessly picked me up in one arm and used his free hand to touch my forehead. "Feeling better?"

"Just a little."

He carried me to the kitchen and briefly halted when he noticed our mother rummaging through the fridge. He caught Jordan's eye and mouthed what the fuck is she doing here?

Don't look at me, was Jordan's answer.

Mom grabbed a couple of cold beers and closed the fridge, only now noticing Tristan's presence.

"Oh hey Tristan, I didn't hear you come in."

"Mother," was all he said. He put me down on one of the chairs and took the seat next to me.

While the rest got some take out, I got a bowl of steaming soup and some crackers instead.

Mom glanced at me worriedly. "Jade, baby, what's wrong. You feeling sick?"

"Just a stomach bug," I said after taking a first sip from the soup.

"Jordan did you give her something?"

Jordan rolled his eyes. "I'm not gonna give her anything on an empty stomach. Let her eat first."

"I got some Aspirin and Tylenol in my purse if you want, it always comes in handy," she said to me.

"You wouldn't have some coke or heroin by any chance? I heard those suckers are some great pain relievers," Ashton said with a straight face.

I shot him a warning look.

Mom didn't take the bait and cleared her throat. "As a matter of fact, Ash, no I don't have those in my purse," she shot back with the same level of sarcasm.

"Would you have given her some if you did though?"

"W-what?" she stuttered, taking aback by his question. "Why in the world would I do that?"

Ashton sat up straight on his chair, his face hard, ready to attack. "I don't know, why don't you tell me, mother."

Mom's face blanched. She exchanged a quick look with me and I instantly dropped my gaze. I had promised not to tell anyone and now she found out that Ashton knew. I didn't like lying to people and I definitely didn't like breaking promises. I only hoped I didn't lose her trust.

"What's going on?" Noah asked, breaking the silence.

Mom and Ashton were having some sort of a stare down and none of them wanted to make a move to back off first.

"Alright, either we're having a nice, quiet dinner together, or you two can both get the hell out," Jordan told them, his expression telling them he wasn't in the mood for any bullshit.

Mom eventually broke the stare and focused on the food on her plate.

Ashton chuckled but there was no humor behind it. "Un-fucking-believable."

"Ash," Tristan warned.

I looked at him and shot him a pleading look. Please, not now.

He ran his tongue along his front teeth and appeared to drop the matter ... for now.

Mom tucked some hair behind her ears and plastered a forced smile on her face. "So thirteen huh. You excited?"

I swallowed down some water and nodded. "I am, yeah."

"I remember when I was thirteen. I suddenly grew taller, I got these hips that made every girl at school jealous, my breasts started filling out - "

"Mom, too much information," Noah cut her off with a disgusted face.

"All I'm saying is that you'll go through a beautiful transition - you'll flourish and become a woman."

Jordan cleared his throat. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves, she's turning thirteen, not thirty."

Mom rolled her eyes. "Oh for Christ sake, you need to stop treating her like's she's still some little girl. I lost my virginity when I was thirteen."

"Wayyy too much information," Noah commented.

"Jade, now is the time to discover who you are. It's okay if you're still searching for your true identity." She patted my hand in what I think was supposed to be a motherly touch.

"Uhm okay ..." I didn't know what else to say.

Ashton laughed.

Mom glared at him. "What's so funny?"

"You are. The way you're trying to pass on some important life lesson. You're the last person on earth that should be giving her any kind of motherly advice."

"And what's that supposed to mean?" she challenged. "I had my life under control."

"You got knocked up when you were fourteen, got an abortion and then went on spreading your legs faster than a forest fire, resulting in five kids from three different bastards who only pay child support, which you use up to scratch your itch, as long as they don't have to pretend we exist," Ashton confronted arrogantly. "You call that 'under control'?"

"Ash!" Tristan yelled. "What the hell did I just tell you?"

"It's the fucking truth and she knows it."

The way her fingers gripped her knife and fork, you'd think she was thinking about killing him. "You better watch your tone when you're talking to me, boy. I'm still your mother."

"Unfortunately." Ashton pushed away from the table, knocking over his chair in the process and leaving through the backdoor, slamming the door hard.

I sighed.

FADED

I woke up in the morning with deadly cramps. It was like I was being stabbed repeatedly with a knife. I squinted my eyes to catch the time on my clock hanging on my door - five thirty. I might as well get up now. I rushed to the bathroom and heard the water already running. I knocked.

"Yeah?" Jordan's deep voice sounded through the door.

"Can I come in? I really need to go."

"Door's unlocked."

I rushed through the door, waving away the shower steam. I quickly got to work and relieved my bladder.

"Why are you up so early?" I asked.

"Early shift. I need the extra hours," he said behind the shower curtain.

I knew why he needed extra hours, so he could be home early for the secret birthday party which wasn't so secret anymore.

I hissed in pain when another cramp hit me. I was confused as to why the hell my stomach still ached after I took some medicine last night. It wasn't until I looked down that realization hit me like a ton of bricks.

Bloody hell.

Hoping my imagination was playing tricks on me, I looked down once again. Nope, not my imagination. This was real, very real, too real.

"Oh hey, happy birthday by the way."

Jordan's hand pushed the curtain aside and I quickly yelled in panic.

"NO! Don't look, I'm not finished!"

"Oh sorry," he went back to showering. "So how does it feel to be a year older?"

No, no, no, no, no, oh god please NO! Not today, not today. I fucking hate my life! On my birthday, on my fucking birthday? Really? I knew my birthday wish was to look less like a toddler but having my period wasn't what I had wished for either.

Did I already mention how much I hate my life, 'cause I do.

"Jade." Jordan's voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Uh what? Oh yeah it feels great, awesome, I'm in exaltation!" I forced out in exaggeration as I quickly cleaned up and flushed.

"That excited, huh?"

"Oh you have no idea," I grumbled. I stuffed some toilet paper in my panties and pulled my shorts on. I need my mother.

"Can you pass me the towel please."

"Where's mom?" I wanted to know as I handed it over to him.

He wrapped it around his waist before he pushed the curtains aside. "She's probably still sleeping on the couch." He eyed me closely, taking in my fidgeting hands causing me to shift from one foot to the other. He cocked a single eyebrow. "You okay?"

I willed myself to smile. "Never been better."

His eyes narrowed. "You're acting weird."

My eyes widened. Oh my god could he tell? I wanted to check if my shorts were stained but I didn't want to draw any attention to my lower body right now.

"Jade, what's wrong sweetheart?" he reached over to touch my forehead but I jumped away. His brows were furrowed in concern. "Does your stomach still hurt?"

I wildly shook my head, almost giving myself a whiplash. "Nope, no, I'm good. Perfect. Nothing's wrong. I'm fine, I said I was fine. Oh my god stop asking questions and stop looking at me!" I snapped.

Where the hell did that come from? Oh god now I know where the mood swings came from. No wonder my emotions were all over the place - my body was literally giving me signs and I just ignored them.

Jordan looked at me like I had grown another head.

I grabbed my bathrobe and put it on, glad that it covered me entirely. "I need mom."

I didn't wait for him to reply and practically ran to the living room, almost stumbling down the steps in my haste. I found my mother on the couch, her mascara was smudged and her hair was everywhere. I violently shook her awake.

"Mom. Mom. Mom, wake up. It's an emergency, mom. MOM!"

She woke up with a start, squinting up at me in confusion. "Wha - what's going on? Wait where am I?"

"Mom, I need you to come with me to the store."

After she took in her surroundings, her memory started coming back. She rubbed her hands down her tired face and yawned. "Sweetie, I love you but this is way too early. Ask one of your brothers, mommy needs her beauty sleep."

"No, don't go back to sleep!" I pulled her back up and threw her covers away. "You don't understand, this is a matter of life and death. I need you, like really need you to get up and get dressed and take me to get some stuff. Please, mom. Mom, I'm begging you, please you have to - "

"Jade, Jade," she interjected. "You're talking too fast." She yawned again and blinked several times to fully wake up and focus. "Say that again slowly. What exactly do you need?"

I bit my lip and muttered something unintelligibly.

"What's that?"

Come on, did I really have to say it out loud? Saying the word makes it all so real and I didn't want it to be real.

"IsaidIthinkIgotmyperiod," I mumbled lowly.

She sighed. "Jade, baby, I have no idea what you're saying - "

"I got my period!" I rushed out.

Her face lit up in an instant. "Oh my baby is all grown up!" I had no time to react when she suddenly pulled me on top of her, hugging me tightly. "Little Jade is a woman now."

"You're way too happy about this," I groaned. When I finally managed to escape I noticed she had tears brimming her eyes. "Are you seriously crying?"

"Jade, you don't understand, this is special. It's seems like it was only yesterday when you still sucked milk from my tits and now you'll be able to do the same and be a mom one day."

"Let's not talk about kids," I shivered uncomfortably. "So are you gonna get up or what? It's pretty urgent. I think I'm leaking."

"Hold on, I think I got something. Get my purse for me."

I handed it over to her. She dug something out and threw it in my lap. "That'll do for now."

I picked it up and nearly choked. "I'm not putting that in me!"

"Baby, that's just a tampon -"

"Yeah I know what it is, mom. I'm not stupid. I'm just not ready for that yet. Just the thought of putting something up there ..."

"If you think a tampon is bad, wait until you get a dick up your - "

"MOM!" my cheeks heated up in embarrassment. "Please can you just get some pads for me?"

"Why don't you ask your brothers?"

"Are you crazy?" I whisper yelled. "I'm not ready to tell them. I mean when you think about it, do they really have to know? It doesn't concern them, it's my body, not theirs. It's none of their business."

She rolled her eyes but still got up to stand. "You owe me one."

Oh I owed her more than one. I was pretty sure she knew I told Ashton about the drugs. As long as he won't confront her about it, I was safe.

I hugged her. "Thanks mom."

She hugged me back. "Happy birthday, baby."

A/N: I apologize for the long wait. School has started again and yeah life was pretty hectic. I've already started on the next chapter, so I'll try to upload it in a few days.

Lots of drama coming, stay tuned ;)

Ps: don't forget to touch that little star, it makes me update faster xxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

97.6K 1.3K 42
Lilian Mae Martinez has five older brothers, and she is the only girl besides her mom. she's stuck living with her five brothers and her dad, but at...
34.1K 1.3K 14
At 16, Luella navigates the complexities of life under the watchful eye of her older brothers. As she immerses herself in the highs and lows of high...
374K 13.4K 60
Book #2 of the Rose series We've all read and adored little miss Everly Rose Carter and have witnessed the daily adventures. Maybe it'll be differe...
growth By isla

Teen Fiction

86.7K 3.6K 14
• [CAN BE READ ALONE] • • [BOOK 1.5 AND 2.5 IN THE SILENT SERIES] • Read this story for small, enjoyable, funny and adorable moments with the Romano...