A Book Of The Lands: The One...

By DanDeBono

The goblin horde has arrived! Djar's parents have been murdered, his city is occupied and things look worse e... More

A Book Of The Lands: The One Who Would Be King
The One Who Would Be King Chapter II: On To Durbin
The One Who Would Be King Chapter III: Of Long Walks And Demons
The One Who Would Be King Chapter IV: A Late Summer Storm
The One Who Would Be King Chapter V: All Gobbed Up
The One Who Would Be King Chapter VI: Dymorla
Chapter VII: Fralgarzener
Chapter VIII: Zack Needham
Chapter IX: A Zombie Army?
Chapter X: Hitting The Trail
Chapter XI: The Marg And Beyond
Chapter XII: Allies
Chapter XIII: On To Illum
Chapter XV: Fralgarzener Strikes
Chapter XVI: The Allies Prepare For Battle
Chapter XVII: Battles For The Ages
Epilogue: Future Business
Glossary

Chapter XIV: A Parting Of Ways

4.8K 43 2
By DanDeBono

The meeting with the Council and Grand Cardinal Malthorp went on for hours. They seemed to endlessly debate what should occur next, so Dymorla had a difficult time steering the men in the direction she wanted to take. As soon as it was evident that she had learned everything of use from them, she excused both herself and Zack and escorted him back to his quarters. Just walking through the stronghold was now a chore; Zack had become a major celebrity and everyone from high priestesses to servants gawked, asked for blessings or even stopped them along the way. Dymorla was relieved when the boy could finally get some rest.

She then found all the others huddled near and around the huge crackling fireplace in the common area of their guest wing. In late summer so high I n the mountains, a cold snap could set in quite suddenly, and this was certainly one of those nights. The trolls sat on the floor, in their usual crossed-legged fashion while the others sat on plush couches and chairs pulled in a rough semicircle.

When they saw her approach, they unleashed a flurry of simultaneous questions.

“Ah, Dymorla, what have you learned?” asked Aeilronic.

“Where is Zack?” asked Cookie.

“Did you learn any more of the scepter?” Asked Thag.

“What do we do next?” asked Omag.

Dymorla held up both hands. “Slow down. We have time for everything. Zack is fine, but he was pretty tired. I escorted him back to his quarters so he could get some rest.”

“But how is he?” asked Cookie, knowing that the boy must by now know much of the sorceresses plan, as everyone else in the small company now did.

 “He is in fairly good spirits, considering. That boy is someone to marvel at.”

“Dymorla, if I may,” interrupted Halk. “I have been thinking …”

“Yes, Halk, you may accompany us to Kaleb’s Claw.”

“My thanks, Dymorla. I have become quite attached to that boy and I tire of this big bear’s snoring, anyhow,” he said, pointing to Omag.

“Who be a big bear? You don’t make a good lapdog either. I be serious though, when I say I’ll be missing that boy and ye.’ But I will feel better with you watchin’ over him.”

“Okay, then that’s settled,” continued Dymorla quickly. “Halk will accompany Aeilronic, Thag, Myself, Zack and Grand Cardinal Malthorp to Kaleb’s Claw.”

“Malthorp?” asked Cookie clearly surprised.

“Though they debated this for hours, he wouldn’t have it any other way. And that is not all. Elyan is leading a division to Mahhrain to meet up with the other forces that will be under Djar’s command.”

“And the Council of Twelve went along with this?” asked Aeilronic.

Dymorla waved her hand. “Some of them couldn’t get out of bed in the morning without a debate. Thankfully, however, Malthorp and Elyan hold enough sway with enough to have made the vote swing their way. I don’t think they’re all happy, but I don’t care either.” 

Thag tapped his wide nose with a huge finger. “Well this is good news. We’ll soon have a potent force to deal with the goblins in and around Mahhrain and Fort Durn. I believe that the combined might of the priest warriors, Alya’s divisions of Treeguard, my forces led by Goff, Aara’s Imperial Army and, of course, the remnants of the Imperial Guard and the various human home guards should be able to drive the goblins back north in short order.”

“So why don’t we just stick together and deal with the goblins, then worry about the wizard?” asked Cookie, glancing at Dymorla. She still didn’t like the idea of splitting with Zack. 

“I have no doubt the combined forces could drive the goblins out,” said Dymorla, “ But it’s still more important to deal with Fralgarzener. He would simply send in reinforcements and I seriously doubt that even our combined forces could now withstand the entire goblin hoard – there are far too many of them. And consider this, Fralgarzener will certainly send … others into the battle. Demons, Tormentors and who knows what? No, he is the key to unlocking this mess.”

“Well said, Dymorla,” agreed Elras. “We must deal with Fralgarzener if we hope to have a complete victory.”

“Thank you, Elras. So Djar will lead the rest of you toward Mahhrain. The various field commanders will still maintain direct control of their respective forces, but the top commander from each force will report directly to Djar and work as a council. All the leaders – save Aara – have agreed to this.”

“I can give you my word that Aara and the Elvish Imperial commanders will abide by our wishes,” said Aielronic confidently.  

“Then we are well on our way.”

“So, what about the scepter and the ancient heroes stuff? Is that all gone?” asked Cookie. “But don’t get me wrong, I’m so glad the entire zombie thing was unnecessary.”

Dymorla shook her and frowned. “I really have no idea. Zack also doesn’t have to worry about his – what did he call them? – batteries running out on his machine either. No, after all this I think we let the prophecy unfold as it will. As I said after the ceremony, I have been a  bit humbled and certainly don’t have all the answers. Hopefully, the talisman will prove to be an effective weapon.” Her eyes narrowed and she looked at them all in turn. “ I have read old legends citing ‘armies of dead heroes,’ though before now I never put much stock in the stories. We’ll soon see …”

“So what do we do now?” Asked Djar. 

“Yes, what now. Well, our small party will make ready tomorrow and then we’ll leave the morning after. I want no wagons, but we’ll bring well-laden mounts. The council wanted us to bring a sizeable force, but I convinced Malthorp that a much smaller party will be better. Fralgarzener will have hundreds of troops at his disposal, so we need to sneak in and fight as we must. Even a hundred warriors would only slow us down and could perhaps facilitate a quick end to our mission.”

Djar nodded. It was amazing how Dymorla could get her way. “What about us/ how long will it take the priests to get their force together?”

“They will need a week to ten days. They seem slow and deliberate in everything they do; however, it will be a sizeable force. They are sending every warrior they can spare, leaving only a skeleton force to guard the stronghold.”

“That is a long time. By the time we get back to Mahhrain, most of the other forces will be there.”

“Yes. The Treeguard will most likely arrive first,” said Aeilronic. “True they had to skirt the Marg, but they are surely now to the Astabor and working their way north toward Mahhrain. I can’t say for sure, but would estimate their arrival within a week. 

“And the Dark People will also be making ready now. Goff has certainly reached Warthen – the quiet one can march triple time for days on end! It will take my people only hours to make ready and leave. We travel by foot, live off the land and carry all we need. I think they will arrive near the time the Treeguard arrives. I only hope they run into each other sooner rather than later.”

“We don’t need to guess,” said Dymorla, closing her eyes. “Remember my crow friends?”

They all sat silently for several minutes. “Ah, yes, the Treeguard are now making their way north along the Astabor, much as you’ve guessed, Aeilronic. Only … Goff and his forces have passed them – they are trotting several miles north of the elves and Trever as we speak. The crow I sent to Fort Durn must have been intercepted by … something. It could have been Fralgarzener, one of his minions, or, simply an eagle or some such. Whatever the case, he no longer … exists. I also sent one to Kaleb’s Claw, but I couldn’t feel its presence for the past few days when I tried to gather any information. This I would have guessed. My other familiars were sent south, but haven’t yet located your messengers to Aara, Aeilronic.”

“Should we be concerned?” he asked. “I can send the Forest Watch Treeguard that are with us now.”

“I’m not overly concerned yet, but it may not be a bad idea to send the rest of the elves south. A larger group can go with a couple of your supply wagons while a smaller group trails them secretly, helping to ensure their arrival if Fralgarzener successfully intercepts the larger group. I know it sounds callous but we are all taking chances and making sacrifices for the greater good.”

The little group all had worried looks now. 

“But, as I said, I am not overly concerned yet. Finding a few groups of elves traveling stealthily in the Wilders is no easy task – even for Fralgarzener and I. In any event, I will send the bird on to Aara’s castle to await the arrival of the messengers. I’ll know soon if she is readying a force.” 

“I want to leave immediately,” said Djar, not able to hide his frustration any longer.

“Is that the wisest move, Dymorla?” asked Aeilronic.

“If I’m to truly lead these forces, I need to be there. Plus, it is my duty to be there. I’ve been absent far too long already. Who know what those beasts have done by now?”

Dymorla held up a hand for all to cease, then touched Djar’s arm. “I figured you’d say exactly this. Well, I won’t try to stop you, for you may be right. I simply don’t know.”

“But who will go with him?” asked Elras worriedly.

“You will accompany him along with … ”

Djar didn’t allow Aeilronic to finish. “No, it will be better for Elras to stay with his brother. He is our best man to stay with the warrior priests. I will travel secretly with Cookie. I don’t want a large group. I think it will be even more dangerous.”

“Just the two of you? Out of the question!” bellowed Thag, looking impatiently at Omag.

“I be going with ye’ at the very least, Lord Djar!” barked the seated troll.

“Okay, the three of us – but no more. I want to get there quickly and without attracting too much attention. Cookie and I can share a large horse too.” 

“Then everything is as it must be. You three go get some sleep. I’ll have the servants get a mount and some light provisions ready for tomorrow. You can leave in the morning.” With that, Dymorla simply got up and strode out of the room.

***

Before they all went off to bed, a lot of long goodbyes were said. They all knew it would be a sad morning and they were right. At first light the little group assembled for the last time at the outer gates of the stronghold. Even though they had not know each other for most of their lives, they had formed close bonds as happens so often in dire times. Both Cookie and Zack were crying. Omag also shed a tear or two.

“Take care o’ yerself, you big buffoon,” he whispered to Halk, as quietly as a six hundred pound troll could whisper. 

“Don’t worry, Tribemaster. I will be careful. You just watch over the Chieftain and that boy.”

“I’ll do me best. Fare thee well, my friend.”

Omag said goodbye to Thag and the others and waited for Djar and Cookie. Cookie hugged everyone, and they all welcomed her embrace.

“Please take care of him,” she gasped at Dymorla as she finally hugged Zack.

“We will,” said Dymorla. “And you take care of Djar.”

“Don’t worry, you guys. I’ll see you soon,” he said, smiling as tears ran down his cheeks. 

“Be good,” said Zack and he waved to the rest. “Farewell everyone. We’ll meet soon and get this over with!” 

Before it became too upsetting, they started down the trail that would lead them back east. They all glanced back a few times, the humans waving and Omag holding up two massive fingers in the customary troll greeting and farewell until they couldn’t see their former companions. 

“Well, that wasn’t fun,” said Djar, adjusting Dybol’s scabbard for riding.

“That be the truth,” agreed Omag.

“But for now on out, let’s keep it as lighthearted as possible.”

“Agreed, less we need to get mean,” said Omag, short swinging his great axe. He also shifted his huge backpack, brought his shield up in the formal troll marching position and began trotting alongside the huge roan. 

None of them yet noticed the crow circling high above.

***

The cold snap had not given way, and had actually become a bit worse as they progressed eastward. Five days later, they were nearly through The Spine Of The World. They were up in the last – and highest – series of peaks before the trail would begin a descent into the more manageable foothills. It grew even colder, however, as the trail slowly worked its way up into and around the last snow-covered peaks. Both Cookie and Djar wrapped themselves tightly in their cloaks, but Omag wasn’t in the least bit troubled by the weather, even though he was barefoot.

They stopped for the night in a copse of mountain pine. They started a small fire and ate a bit of their rations. After tending to their mount and washing up, Djar and Cookie huddled together near the fire and fell asleep quickly. Omag sat up, looking up into the sky at the thousands of shimmering stars. There was no moon, so they shone even brighter than normal. His breath came out in great puffs and he watched as it would rise and dissipate. It was very peaceful and he sat there for hours enjoying every moment of it. 

Djar opened his eyes with a start, and then squinted in the brilliant whiteness. It had snowed just before light and there was now a thin layer covering everything. The sun was bright and the reflecting light was amazing. It had been quite some time that Djar had been in the snow.   

“It be beautiful, eh?” asked Omag.

“It is. I only don’t like the idea of leaving such a well-marked trail,” said Djar.

“I think the sun will melt it off come afternoon,” said Cookie, getting breakfast ready. She turned the leaf-wrapped Raipar Root. Both Djar and Cookie had been surprised to find the root this high up in the Spine. 

“Uh, Omag, can I ask you a Question?” 

The big troll smiled. “Please do ask, girl.”

“Why is it that you have an, er accent – kind of like the sailing people of the South Coast, but Halk, Thag and Goff don’t talk like you?”

“I did grow up on the south coast, on a ship no less. I be one o’ the only troll sailors. I’ll tell ye’ they had no hammock fit for me! Some of us trolls do be well traveled. I have to be supposin’ that’s why I am a Tribemaster. I’ve learned much more o’ the ways of the world than most.”

“Wow, I didn’t know you are a sailor. How was it, out on the sea?” asked Djar.

“Very beautiful, but at time it be awfully hard too.”

“Kind of like this,” said Cookie.

“Kind of like this,” he agreed, glancing up at that now all-too-familiar crow.

***

“I think I may have made a mistake,” said Dymorla, to no one in particular.

“You make a mistake?” said Zack, smiling, “No way.”

“I sent a familiar out with Djar, but I didn’t tell him. I didn’t want to worry about them the entire time we travel.”

The boy scrunched his nose. “Well, that sounds good to me, why is it a mistake?”

“Well, I sent another familiar with Elras and Elyan and told them about it, but in my haste I forgot to tell Djar; they are worried that it’s Fralgarzener watching them.”

“Why do you say that?” asked Aeilronic.

“Cookie just shot an arrow at it.”

“Yes, that would explain that, unless Cookie simply didn’t want you eavesdropping on her and Djar,” said Thag, then he burst out laughing.

One by one they started to laugh, even Justin, who easily figured out the inside joke. It had been a long time for the leaders to act lighthearted and Zack was now glad. The trip had started fairly formal again, but everyone was becoming more familiar and far less formal with each other. Dymorla, especially, had warmed considerably now that they had secured the aid of the Waypriests, and didn’t have to contend with the entire zombie thing. She was much more like the Dymorla Zack met at her keep, not the secretive leader locked away in Aeilronic’s wagon. The boy liked this one much better.  Grand Cardinal Justin Malthorp had also proved to be a wise and friendly companion – nothing like they had expected.

“Why didn’t you just have the bird talk like Fralgarzener’s?” asked Zack.

“I used a spell of familiars. Fralgarzener’s raven actually contained some of his life force – a much stronger and more dangerous spell. If I kept watch with a bird like that, the wizard would be able to track them much easier by sensing my magic. Then again, he may still be able to track them. Like I said, I think I made a mistake. But, I also have some good news to share,” she added. “The messengers have finally reached Aara and she is readying the troops.”

Aeilronic looked especially happy. “That is a good tiding. Things certainly aren’t looking so bleak now!”

Several days into the trip without incident, all were now fairly content, at least as content as they could be in the cold and under their present circumstances.  

“Cardinal, I must ask you a question, but please take no offense because none is intended.” Dymorla said, clearly seeing a chance to ask something that had been on her mind for quite some time.

“Ask away, wise one.”

“Um, my impression of Illum was nothing like I expected, and I am wondering why what I expected and what I discovered were so far apart.”

“Well, what did you expect?”

“Again, forgive me, but many throughout the land that deal with the missionary warriors consider them zealots – and this is many times with good reason. I have to admit, I was expecting the priests at Illum to be a bunch of fanatics.”

“Ah, the problem of generations is what we now call that. You see, part of the problem with a group such as ours is changing leadership – and changing directions. Most in Illum have recognized that things have gone too far and we are trying to change. Many of us believe we simply lost the way – pun intended! About a hundred years ago, a conservative movement pushed us to near isolationism. Then, we started sending out, er, fanatical priests to spread The Way as the leaders in Illum felt people were losing sight of such grand and noble concepts. Yet people weren’t getting worse, we were only getting more judgmental. To make a long story short, priests like Elyan and myself – and many others – had enough and at long last we have shifted the leadership to our way of thinking. Unfortunately, the new – which is really the very old – way of thinking will take some time to reach all the missionary outposts throughout all The Land. It’s even a slow change in Illum with us right there. I’m sure you witnessed many on the Council of Twelve that still prescribe to the overzealous methods. They sometimes search the readings and debate endlessly making us nearly impotent.” 

“Well, Cardinal, I am impressed with both your leadership and wisdom,” said Aeilronic,  “and you and your priests are far from impotent. Consider the forces you are mustering right now.”

Both Dymorla and Thag nodded in agreement.

“Thank you. I also respect all of you and what you are doing – for no personal gain. That is truly following The Way.”

“Hey, what about the crow?” asked Zack.

“I’ll just have to keep it at a distance.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

118 0 22
This is a story inspired by the HP book called the cursed child but with my own twist, romance and ending to it. It follows the story of Delphini, th...
13.4K 520 20
Ellie had dealt with a great shock, her parents have both been murdered by death eaters. Her mothers great friend Albus Dumbledore brings her to Hogw...
56K 5K 113
THE TAVERNER'S DAUGHTER - BOOK ONE FANTASY, MAGIC, DRAGONS, ROMANCE, WINGED WIZARDS. Please Note: The rest of this series will not be published u...
673K 13.4K 50
"I hate you for everything you are and what you have done to me." "I know" The devil answered before crashing his lips down to hers. ...