Recovery

By sparkybark17

BOOK 1 OF RECOVERY SERIES Grace Adams has battled with depression for the majority of her life, but her best... More

Recovery
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Epilogue
But Wait- There's More!

Chapter 25

13.2K 579 237
By sparkybark17

I follow behind Avery as we go into the house and through a few hallways, before we end up in front of a door.

"You're not- going to kill me, are you?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"No," he cooly replies, opening the door. "I'm not."

I cautiously walk in, looking around. The room is neat, with only a desk and a bed. The desk has a picture of Avery and a little girl who looks very similar to him. Maybe a cousin? The walls are painted a dark grey, almost black.

It's his bedroom.

"It's a bit depressing in here, don't you think?" I chuckle.

He shrugs. "I guess so. I don't really spend a lot of time in here anyway- I'm normally in the barn."

I nod. It makes sense- that's probably why this room is so tidy.

"Avery-"

"Listen-"

We both speak simultaneously. He gestures towards me.

"You go first."

I nod, and offer a small smile.

"Avery, look, I'm sorry for acting like a bitch the other day. I've been going through some stuff- I don't really want to talk about it, and I know its no excuse. I keep pushing away everyone crazy enough to try and get close to me. First Ivy, then you. I've even been being distant with Jace. And I'm sorry. It's just what I do," I sigh.

"After Ch-" I stop myself, realizing that I haven't told him about Chey yet. "After what happened to me, it's become hard for me to let me people get close to me because I feel like they'll leave. So I'm sorry I've been distant and cold and explosive. It has nothing to do with you."

"I mean, you've been nice to me since-" I stop, remembering how he was a jerk the first few days. "Well, not since the beginning, but almost. And you helped me with Trigger, which I can't thank you enough for, because I'm really starting to like that horse."

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry. For everything. And I understand if you don't really want to associate with me anymore. I wouldn't blame you at all," I wryly chuckle.

He stares at me with a look on his face akin to awe. For a few moments, we stand there in silence.

"Okay, say something because now I'm feeling really self conscious because I just realized I might have shared to much," I awkwardly laugh.

"No, you're fine," he replies, his voice quiet. "I just wanted to ask- nevermind."

I frown, and look up at him.

"What?"

"No, it's nothing," he mutters, trying to shrug it off.

"Okay, you can't just bring me up here to talk to you, and then at the last minute chicken out. I got off the phone for you," I teasingly urge.

"Okay, but remember you asked for it," he chuckles.

"Okay," I slowly reply. "Ask away."

"If you have a boyfriend back home- why did you try to kiss me?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

I suddenly feel very self aware- could he ask a more awkward question? A blush creeps up to my cheeks and I stare at the ground.

Until I replay his question in my mind, and I'm suddenly confused.

"Wait, I don't have a boyfriend back home," I protest.

He furrows his brow in confusion, and takes a step towards me.

"So you're telling me that Jace guy isn't your boyfriend?"

Now, I should probably reply by saying 'No, he's not. We're just very close friends.'

But I don't.

I burst into laughter. And not just giggly, soft girly laughter, but fullblown, clutching-my-stomach laughter.

"What, what's so funny?" he asks, confusion apparent on his face.

Once I contain myself, I stand up straight again, and calmly state "No. He's not my boyfriend. We're just really, really close friends. But just friends- thats it."

A flash of- relief?- crosses over his features. I frown.

"Why does it matter to you, anyways?" 

"It doesn't- although, I've never known a guy and girl, that aren't dating, who hang up the phone by saying 'I Love You."

"Like I said, we're close," I snort, leaning against the wall. "It's not like you'd understand. You don't know what we've been through."

His brow furrows, and he frowns.

"I would if you would tell me," he says quietly, taking another step towards me so that we are only about two feet apart.

I don't respond, not in words.

I do, however, lock my eyes with his. I never noticed before how his eyes aren't quite blue, or green, but a mix of both. The color of the ocean.

For a moment, all is still. It's so quiet I can hear his breathing. I can hear my heartbeat, pounding so hard it could burst out of my chest. I wonder if he can hear it, too?

Then, almost in slow motion, he clears the distance between us in one step. Before I can register what's happening, his lips crash into mine. 

The kiss is passionate, and I kiss him back, hungry for more.

One of his arms goes around my waist, pulling me closer to him, while, with his free hand, he pins my arms to the wall by my wrists.

Eventually, though, we break apart, fighting for air.

He drops my arms, and lets go of my waist, stepping a foot away from me.

"That was-" I stop, afraid to finish the sentence.

His eyes meet mine, but I look away quickly.

"That can't happen again," I sigh, still catching my breath.

"You're right," he agrees, frowning.

"It's not a good idea for either of us," I say.

"And my mom would kill us both if she found out," he answers. "It's just a bad idea."

I nod, unable to look up at him.

"Should we just-" I start.

"-forget it happened?" he cuts me off, finshing my sentence.

"It would be best," I conclude, looking up to meet his gaze, "if we do."

He nods.

"I should go," I say quietly.

"Okay."

I leave his room, closing the door behind me. But I don't leave the area right away.

I lean against the door, and sigh.

Because, lets face it.

That kiss- it was phenomenal.

It was explosive.

And it can't happen again.

Because it's not a good idea.

"Grace- are you still out there?" Avery asks from inside his room.

I turn and face the door.

"No," I call back.

In a few seconds, he opens the door.

I clear the distance between us and throw my arms around his neck, pressing my lips against his. His hands reach up to cup my neck, holding me against him

But I was never one for good ideas, anyways.

A/N

Two updates in one night. Woooh!

I know I said no relationships for Grace but- I changed my mind as soon as I created Avery. You have no idea how long I've been waiting to write this chapter. This is my fave relationship I've written because they are so explosive. I would have wrote this earlier in the book but I didn't want to rush it.

Okay, I would write more but I'm tired.

Goodnight my lovelies!!!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

126 0 10
County show is coming up... Everlee fears her small mess up may cause the team failure. Book 2 of the Shattered series
6.7K 440 14
Mackenzie Dawson is afraid to trust. Her parents died when she was ten and she has been in and out of foster homes and an orphanage ever since. All...
10.9K 135 37
Going under major editing- Certain things may change. Josephine Williams has had a great life good parents, friends, horses everything she could ever...
41 1 21
A girl who's put between two guys and has to figure out the right way to go in life but she gets put through many things but she figured out what was...