𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄─𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐚𝐦...

By paradiseearth

[BOOK ONE IN THE LIFELINE SERIES] life·line ˈlīfˌlīn/ noun "A person you can always depend on to help you in... More

cast. + graphics
note from author.
00. prologue
01. earth bound
02. reunited
03. mount weather
04. river monster
05. surprise
06. finding jasper
07. dinner
08. let's take a hunting trip
09. fog
10. oh, hello
11. killer within
12. time limit
13. healing
14. raven
15. the search begins
16. flares
16. the chase
17. best friend
18. hold on
19. oh brother
20. antidotes
21. relief
22. the beyond
23. captive
24. the lucky one
25. faulty
26. the return
27. disease
28. quarantine
29. survival of the fittest
30. observer
31. target practice
32. burn baby burn
33. shortage
34. come home
35. try me
36. revenge
37. pleading
37. revelations
38. ka-boom
39. our home
40. choices
41. war
42. warriors
43. mountain men
44. new beginning
45. serendipity
47. pretending
48. worries
49. secrets
50. escape plan
51. horror
52. freedom
53. the escape
54. alone
55. alive
56. denial
57. different
58. pain
59. the truth
60. reality
61. (don't) fear the reaper
62. healer
63. no apologies needed
64. revitalization
65. hold on
66. the beginning of the end
67. my brother's keeper
68. empty
69. a memory
70. broken
71. remembrance
72. now I lay me
73. final goodbye
74. innocence
75. surrender
76. another goodbye
77. changes
78. down
79. loud and clear
80. directions
81. breach
82. gameplan
83. now or never
84. safety
85. three simple words
86. coping
87. add it up
88. azgeda
89. fresh start
90. forgiven
91. back again
92. ka-boom (take two)
93. frenemies
94. a ghost
95. tensions
96. crumbling
97. doubts
98. truth
99. divided
100. betrayal
101. last hope
102. surveillance
103. chaos
104. death row
105. hidden
106. remorse
107. hostility
108. chipped
109. family ties
110. EMP
111. together
112. return to arkadia
113. ghost town
114. payback
115. more goodbyes
116. the map
117. signal fire
118. safe passage
119. infestation
120. back to the beach
121. ice nation king
122. to polis
123. up the tower
124. at war in peace
125. between life and death
SEQUEL

46. suspicions

18.7K 443 387
By paradiseearth

"Can you please pass me another napkin...Avery? Avery!"

I snapped out of my thoughts, my eyes instantly flicking over to Monty who was staring at me in anticipation. "What?" I asked, dropping my hand from where I had had my chin resting.

Monty took another bite of the cake he was eating before speaking, "I asked if you could pass me another napkin."

"Oh," I muttered, reaching beside me to grab one, "Here, sorry."

Monty smiled as took the napkin before taking yet another bite of cake.

"Why aren't you eating any dessert?" Jasper asked through a mouthful of pie, "It's to die for. You have to try it." he encouraged, shoving a forkful in my direction.

I shook my head, "I'm not hungry, thanks though."

Truthfully, I had barely eaten anything all day but there was an anxious knot in the pit of my stomach that was preventing me from even thinking about food. All I could think about was my brother and friends. Where were they? Were they okay? Were they even alive?

I was pulled from my thoughts again when Jasper and Monty both stood, each of their chairs screeching across the floor as they did so. They were joking around like usual, trying to steal each others food.

I looked around the room to see people beginning to stare at us. "Guys." I muttered, only for them to ignore me.

They continued messing around until Clarke arrived at our table. "Oh, hey Clarke." Jasper said sheepishly, like a child with their hand caught in the cookie jar.

Clarke didn't look impressed, "Sit down and look like you're happy to see me." She ordered.

Jasper and Monty slumped back into their seats, "But we are happy to see you." Monty pointed out.

I plastered a fake smile on my face, deciding to go along with whatever Clarke was planning here.

Monty held is plate out, "You have to try the chocolate cake."

Jasper narrowed his eyes at Monty, clearly offended with the fact that Monty would offer Clarke cake but not him, "Oh, it is so on."

Clarke shook her head, "I'm not eating their food."

Confusion swept over me, did Clarke know something that I didn't? I wouldn't say I trusted this place fully but clearly Clarke didn't trust them at all.

"Why? Clarke, what's going on?" I asked, leaning in closer to her.

She opened up the booklet that Keenan had given us earlier, "Look," she whispered, pointing to the map, "They gave us a map with no exits."

Monty and Jasper shared a look of hesitation, they didn't believe Clarke's worries were justified.

Clarke continued, "I need you to tell me everything you've seen, every room, every hallway, every way out."

Jasper looked taken aback, "Way out? Look around you, Clarke. There's no one hunting us here. First time in our lives we're not hungry, why would we want to leave?"

"Because we have friends out there who need our help." Clarke rebutted.

Monty cut into the conversation, "They're looking for survivors. They're way better equipped to find them than we are."

Jasper's voice was low as he spoke, "You're bumming me out. I'm-I'm gonna go get some more chocolate cake." And with that, he stood from the table and left.

Once he was gone, I glanced around for a moment before turning back to Clarke, "I walked through level 3 and 5 with one of the residents, I think he took me a different way than usual. I saw quite a bit."

Clarke nodded as she tried to make it seem that we were talking about something different by putting a fake smile onto her face, "You think you can find us a way out?"

I nodded, "I think so. But I think we should wait a bit, figure out a more concrete plan before we raise any suspicions."

Clarke opened her mouth to speak but another voice cut in, "Hey, Avery."

I spun around to see Landen standing behind me, a small smile on his face, "Mind if I borrow her for a bit?" he asked, his eyes on Clarke.

Clarke shared a look with me before nodding, "Yeah, sure." her voice was cold and reserved.

I gave her a final nod to solidify our plan of waiting things out for a bit, before I stood up and followed after Landen.

"What's up?" I asked as the two of us exited the dining hall.

He held the door open and allowed me to walk through, "I just wanted to talk to you a bit more, I enjoyed talking to you this morning."

I felt my cheeks heat up a bit, but I instantly fought the blush. "Yeah, I was going to look for you before dinner but things just got so crazy. I wanted to thank you for being so nice to me before, you made me less stressed about being here."

Landen laughed as we walked further and further from the dining hall, I really had no clue where he was taking me. "You have nothing to be stressed about."

As if on cue a loud alarm began blaring, echoing off the walls. I quickly brought my hands up to my ears to block the sound while giving Landen a confused look. "What's happening!?" I screamed.

Landen looked panic as he searched the halls for any sign of what was going on. Suddenly Jasper and another girl came whipping around the corner, panicked looks on both of their faces.

"Maya, what's going on?" Landen asked as the two other teenagers approached us.

Jasper was out of breath as he spoke, "Clarke took Maya's key card, she's trying to escape."

So much for waiting things out, hey Clarke?

Landen's eyes grew wide, "She cannot open those doors."

I looked between him and Maya who were sharing a look, "Why? Why can't she just leave."

Landen grabbed my hand, "Come on, I'll explain on the way."

---

As the four of us rushed to find where Clarke was, Landen explained that if she opened the doors it would expose the entire population of Mount Weather to radiation from the outside world which in turn would kill them all. It was a pretty hefty chunk of information and I was still absorbing it as we ran down yet another hallway.

"This way!" Maya yelled as we rounded a corner. We all came to a screeching halt when we spotted Clarke standing in front of a large steel door, her hand resting on a lever.

"Clarke, no!" Jasper screamed, causing Clarke to pause, turning to look at us with wild eyes. "If you pull that lever all of these people will die, even a little radiation can kill them." Jasper continued as Maya and Landen moved quickly from behind us, returning with guns in their hands.

They both cocked their guns as they stepped forward, weapons aimed right at Clarke, "Don't make us shoot." Maya warned.

"Hold on!" I called as I stepped in front of Landen, Jasper following me to take the place in front of Maya. "Just wait." I pleaded, my eyes meeting Landen's.

He gave me a small nod to signal that I could have a minute. I took that as my chance to turn towards Clarke, "Don't do this." I whispered to the blonde girl who met eyes with me, "Not now." I said even quieter, trying to remind her of our plan without eluding anyone to it.

Clarke had tears in her eyes as she shook her head, "I don't believe them."

Jasper's voice was low and quiet as he spoke, "Why would they lie?"

Clarke looked past the two of us to inspect Maya and Landen, with no definite answer she looked back to us.

"We're safe here, because of you. We're safe." Jasper pointed out.

The blonde girl's head shook back and forth as tears fell from her eyes, "Not all of us."

Sadness welled up in my chest at her words. She was right, our people were still out there, but now was not the time to go find them. If we ended up dead it would be no use to anyone.

Jasper took a small step closer to Clarke, "I'm the one who fired the rockets...should I not have done that?"

My head turned to Jasper who also now had tears falling from his eyes. I took his hand in mine, giving it a tight squeeze as he continued speaking to Clarke, "When you pulled that lever you saved lives...don't throw that away by pulling this one."

Clarke took a minute to absorb Jasper's words before letting out a deep sigh as she dropped her hand from the lever. Moments later at least a dozen guards came rushing in, guns raised as they stampeded towards us.

"There she is!" one yelled as they pushed past Jasper and I, grabbing a hold of Clarke and throwing her to the ground.

"Hey!" I snapped, trying to pull them off, "You don't have to be so rough."

One of the guards grabbed me, pulling me away from Clarke, holding my arms behind my back, "Young lady you need to calm down."

I rolled my eyes as I tried to pull my arms free, "Let go!"

Jasper sent me a worried look, "Avery, just listen to him."

I looked over at him and bit the inside of my lip, trying to resist saying anything else to get me deeper into trouble.

"Alright," Landen said as he stepped in between the guard and I, "I've got her Thompson, she's with me."

The guard looked at him skeptically as Landen grabbed my arm, pulling me close to him, "You sure?

Landen nodded as he gave a tight smile, "Yeah, I'll make sure she stays out of trouble."

-an-

hey guys! yay a new update!

so some of you might have been wondering where I have been, some of you may not have even noticed I was gone lol. basically, I started my second year at university a few weeks ago and I am already swamped with work. so many readings to do ugh!! I guess that's what happened when you major in history lol

anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, please let me know!

i am absolutely itching to write bell and avs reunion! i cant wait

-maddy xoxo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.6K 718 18
In which the twin sister of Wells Jaha finds herself on earth, with her best friends, falling in love with their leader. [the 100] [s1-s7] [Bellamy B...
8.2K 199 18
BOOK 2 of ?? After Mount Weather and killing all of the people in there, Madison left without even saying goodbye to no one, she didn't want to go ba...
7.6K 234 28
Katherine Kane has always considered herself to be fierce and loyal -a fighter and protector of her people. That is until she was sent down to Earth...
304K 6.1K 24
Cora was very well known in the ark, when she and 99, plus one, others were sent to the ground she struggled to adapt to the new surroundings as did...