The One You Once Were

By MinaLencester

When one of Bonnie's spells goes horribly wrong, Caroline finds herself back in the days when no vampires exs... More

Lost in Time
Meet and Greet with the Mikaelsons
The Girl He Loves
Mikael Is a D*ck
Something New and Yet Familiar
Mikael Drops Lower on My Good Guy Chart (If That Was Even Possible)
Hope Appears
I Have a Moment and Ruin It
A Clouded Mind
Shattering News
I Cry My Heart Out
Klaus' Defiance
Brighter than the Stars
Lots of Cheerful Moments
Darkness Falls
A Stab Through the Heart
Tears, Blood and a Promise
The Sun Burns But Not As Much As Feelings Do
It Can't Get Worse Than This, Right?
It Gets Worse
Nothing Has Changed. Except For Me.
Some News That Feel Not so New to Me
The Part of Me That Already Moved On
There's Something Wrong With Me
Something's Pulling Me Slightly Southwest
Meet and Greet With the Mi- Wait, Why Does That Sound Familiar?
A Comfortable environment
Welcome to New Orleans
Oh, Hayley's here, that's cool. Wait, what?!
I do something but ONLY for experimental reasons!
Nah, jk, Rebekah's actually really cool
A special tour
Bonnie confirms my theory
Hayley and I have a serious girls talk
Everything is so damn complicated
Rebekah gives me a warning and a thumbs up. Because Friendship?
Shared dreams
Trust goes both ways
Confessions
The full and honest truth
Why can't anything ever go according to plan?
Silas is the worst
He's gone
Give him back to me
Hooray, everyone is so happy. Everyone but me
Another chance
How long?
A part of always and forever?
This won't be easy
They learn the hard way
Please just let me rest for once
What even is time?
This is fine...
A tad of happiness
This cannot be happening!
I don't want to go, I don't...
Maybe I would have wanted kids
Bedtime stories
Oh, so that's what "needing time" looks like?
An entire witch coven
Family gatherings
Forgiveness
Heartbreak
Why do they grow up so fast?
Choices
What was and will never be again
The Ones I Would Leave Behind
The One I Return To
Info and a thank you
The One I Love Most
The One You Once Were

Rebekah is a mythic b*tch

3.7K 115 22
By MinaLencester

"I'm going to repeat myself one last time, Nik. Where is our brother?", Rebekah asked in a sharp tone.
"Hello to you too, sister.", Klaus said back and grinned. "And about Elijah, he had better things to do."
"Our brother wouldn't abandon the wolf like this, he has honour. Unlike you. What did you do to him?"
Klaus shot me a look as if he was worried about my reaction of what he was going to say next. And he was right to do so as he truthfully admitted: "Well, if you must know: Elijah is safely in a box."
"You daggered him?", I exclaimed, not believing what I was hearing.
"What the hell? The vampire girl from Mystic Falls? What is she doing here?", Rebekah just now noticed my being. Moreover, she sounded more than annoyed by it.
This was not how I wanted her to first see me again. In the scenes I had in my mind, we were actually getting along very well, we were friends. I remembered her warning her brother about hurting me. Why would she do that? Klaus had loved Tatia back then? Yes, I knew about the images where he was comforting me but he didn't feel anything for me in those scenes, did he?
"No, seriously, brother, what is she doing here? Furthermore, in your room?", Rebekah asked.
"It was for an experiment! Don't misinterpret the situation!", I squeaked and blushed while Klaus chuckled next to me.
"God dammit, I'm getting side-tracked. Again, where is Elijah?", Rebekah returned to her subject. Klaus rolled his eyes.
"I'd more importantly like to talk about how you killed six of Marcel's nightwalkers. He has a pretty strict policy against that, you know.", he scolded her angrily.
"What do I care? They were rude and didn't want to show a poor girl her way here."
The siblings went on arguing about stuff while they also mentioned them remembering this house from the past.
The past... the images... It still felt like they had actually happened in the past. And not only mine but theirs as well. Was I going crazy?
"I'm off to another drink with Marcel. Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone.", Klaus said to his sister and I was brought back from my thoughts. "Caroline, love, you stay here and make yourself a good time, alright? I'll be back soon to spend my time with you." I just gave him a nod and he disappeared. My look went over to his sister who was still standing there, in the entrance of Klaus' room.
"Do you need any help unpacking? Or maybe we could decorate your room?", I asked in an attempt to restore the friendship I remembered from my visions.
"No, I won't be staying long anyways, you moron. I'm only here for Elijah. Just stay out of my way, please? My brother might fancy you but I find you annoying as ever.", she glared at me as Hayley appeared behind her. As it seemed, she had taken her time to get upstairs, not wanting to interrupt the siblings' talk.
"God dammit. Now, I have to look for my good brother. Maybe he can talk some sense into my bad one.", Rebekah cursed and was gone in the blink of an eye.
I knew she didn't want to see me. Did I follow her harsh request? Well...
"I told you to leave me alone!", she snapped at me when she spotted me behind her. We were standing in some kind of cellar. There were coffins and I had a very bad feeling about this place.
"What are these for?", I asked though I already had an idea.
"Us, of course. Nik puts us in here after he stakes us. But I don't see Elijah's coffin anywhere. Where could he be?", she speeded out again and ruffled through her own hair.
"Any luck?", Hayley asked but Rebekah denied angrily.
"Guess I'll have to look somewhere else. I really don't like the thought of Elijah being staked. It's a horrible feeling.", she mumbled and Hayley raised her eyebrows.
"Why would Klaus do this? I didn't have the feeling that it was necessary.", I though out loud.
"It never is.", Rebekah gave back. "I certainly will be out of here as soon as I find Elijah. I suggest you two do the same, pregnant or not. And you, Caroline. I don't have a clue why you're here and maybe you can't be staked, however if I were you, I'd go as soon as possible. Not even you are safe of Klaus' impulsive temper.", the girl grumbled and then left the house.
"Wait!", I ran after her. After all, I was still planning on getting her back as a friend! Or in her mind, befriending her in the first place.
She stopped and gave me a look. "What?"
"Just to clear up what you saw this morning: There is nothing going on between me and Klaus, at least that's what I think. And I meant it. That I would love to help you unpack and decorate. Or I could help you find Elijah."
"Okay? And what do I care? Why are you being so nice to me? It's annoying. We don't like each other, remember?", she answered.
"I know. But can't we change that? We could be friends, you know?", I insisted.
"Are you sick? Why would you want that?"
"Well, because you're not that bad and...", I started.
"How do you know that? We haven't seen each other since I don't know when. Oh and fyi, I don't want your help. So leave me alone.", she stomped away. Why was she so emotional about this? I was really trying to be friends with her, I couldn't stand us fighting like this, not when I knew that we could be different. Heck, those images were changing me. Not as much though to prevent me from holding her back yet again.
"You do know that it's the middle of the night, right?", I said and she shrugged her shoulders. "It might not be the best idea to look for your brother when you don't know where and what et cetera?"
Annoyed, she ruffled through her own hair. "I suppose you're right about that."
"How about you at least wait until it's morning, okay?", I suggested and she rolled her eyes.
"Whatever. I'll be in a room, don't know which one but don't bother me.", she grumbled and was gone quickly.
"Okay.", I yelled after her. "Good talk!"

I returned to bed afterwards. My brain was so focused on my plan to accompany Rebekah when she left that I almost wasn't able to sleep. When I did, it was very restless and I didn't stop turning and spinning in my sleep until I felt a specific warmth next to me and settled down. Someone pulled me closer and my breath started going steadier instantly. However, my calmness didn't last long as the warmth started slipping away and my eyes shot open. My hands grabbed the person by instict which left him startled for just a split second. Then a smile spread across the familiar face.
"Don't want me to leave?"
"What? No... I just confused you with someone else.", I lied though he was right. That was exactly why I had held him back.
"I would love to stay beside you but I have to go, very important business to take care of, I'm sorry.", he sighed and gently petted my head.
"Oh, it's okay, I have things to do too. Wandering around here and reading, probably being more active than you.", I joked and he chuckled.
"Right."
For a second, we both were quiet.
"You do have to let go of me first, you know.", he said and I just then realized I was still holding onto him.
"Oops, sorry."
"Before I go...", he started and shot a look in my direction. "Can I count on experiments like this more often now?"
"I wouldn't bet on it.", I laughed though I wasn't so sure myself. When I was next to him, the nightmares stopped and his warmth felt kinda good. Even right in some way.
"We'll see.", he smirked and waved me goodbye before leaving.
I stayed in bed for more than an hour until I heard Rebekah lingering in the mansion and decided, it was time to stand up. Only then did I realize that I had actually returned to Klaus' room even after being awake. Oh god, why did I not notice? I just shook my head in disbelief but decided to get back to the topic later on as I had other concerns now.
"Rebekah, good morning.", I said and stopped her from leaving.
"You're heading out to find your brother?"
"Indeed, my good one in fact.", she grumbled.
Ah well, 'good one' was debatable.
"You sure that's a good idea?", I asked carefully.
"Why wouldn't it be?"
"Listen, you don't even know where you should start looking for your brother.", I started and Rebekah rolled her eyes.
"So? My brother won't tell me anything, what other choice do I have?"
"Me."
"What?"
"I mean, maybe Klaus won't say anything to you but what about me?", I offered.
"You want to ask him about what happened?", Rebekah said, not really believing what she was hearing.
"That's what I meant, yes."
"Why?"
"I wasn't joking when I said that I wanted to be your friend. And if this bugs you, I'll help with it. Plus I myself do want a word with your brother about this.", I said.
"Do as you please.", Rebekah lifted her shoulders. "While you search for my brother, I will see what this house holds."
"You do that.", I grinned. "And if you then decide that a room is to your liking but not good-looking enough, come to me, we'll decorate it."
"Enough with the decorating. Just.go already."
"You do know that it's still dark outside, right? Can't we wait until it's at least morning?"
"Fine but don't you dare forget it."

I had not thought this through. I didn't even know this city, Klaus had not yet given me the promised tour of New Orleans and I was completely lost. So I just walked around, looking for one man in a crowd. When I really didn't know where to look anymore, I just decided to ask someone. The woman I approached was blonde and looked pretty nice.
"Hey, excuse me.", I started and she looked at me surprised.
"Do you by any chance know someone named Klaus Mikealson? Or Marcel?", I asked, remembering where he wanted to go.
"I do. I actually just saw them in a bar around the corner.", she replied.
"Really? Oh, that's convenient.", I chuckled. "Thank you..."
"Cami.", she smiled.
"Thanks Cami.", I grinned and left to find the bar she'd talked about. I saw Klaus sitting at a table alone. Since this Marcel guy didn't seem to be around, I decided to go in and take the seat in front of him.
"Caroline? What are you doing here?", he asked in surprise.
"I missed you.", I said but then chuckled. "Just kidding, I'm here to ask something."
"Okay? Spit it out."
"What did you do to your brother?", I wanted to know and Klaus leaned back in his chair.
"Rebekah sent you?"
"No, I came here on my own. I'm kind of mad at you for doing what you did so you better answer me truthfully. How could you stake your brother?", I growled and his features hardend.
"I had to, believe me. I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't necessary."
"Klaus. I'm here. In your city. And I trusted you. I didn't plan on leaving again so soon.", I started and his eyes lit up though he tried to hide it. "But if I am going to be here with you, I need you to be honest with me."
"That sounds like my waiting is almost over?", he smirked and I glared at him angrily.
"Don't change the topic. Give a proper answer."
He let out a sigh.
"Why must you always be able to crack me open.", he mumbled then turned to me. "Fine. I gave him to Marcel."
"What? Why?", I asked in surprise.
"To gain his trust."
I shook my head in disbelief.
"He is your brother. Couldn't you have worked it out?"
"You don't understand, Caroline. It was essential."
I stood up. "You're right. I don't understand." And then I left him alone though I made sure, he knew I wasn't mad at him anymore. The reason I left was to tell Rebekah what I had promised.

She awaited me already and after I told her about my discovery, she left. Now, I could've stayed in the mansion, since this really wasn't my place to interfere but I followed her secretly to not make her mad. She confronted someone in a bar, I didn't see who, only heard the voices. There were loud noises and angry shouts then Rebekah stepped out, followed by a manly figure. Quickly, I hid from them and followed them to a church. They walked into some kind of basement and into a room in which I cought the glimpse of a girl. Again, I wasn't able to see anything because I was hiding but I overheard the conversation until someone was thrown out of the window, I was assuming it was Rebekah. Shortly after, someone was coming out of the room and I took cover to not be spotted. To my luck, it worked and the person walked right past me. The door was still open and the girl was facing the opposite direction in the moment. A magic ward prevented me from entering the room but I could see Elijah in a coffin. And that's when I had a genious idea.

After I had executed my plan, I quickly returned to the mansion. Though instead of the sight I had expected, I found a pile of bodies stacked up in the front yard and a very angry Klaus.
"What's going on here?", I asked just as he started dragging a body inside of the house.
"Oh look, Caroline, you're here too. Finally! What is up today? Is it 'Everyone take a leave and do something stupid day' or what?", he growled.
"I didn't do anything stupid and you didn't answer my question.", I gave back.
Klaus still didn't bother with my question, instead he turned back to Hayley and Rebekah.
"Say, Hayley, what were you doing in the French Quarter anyways?", he asked, anger in his voice.
And then Hayley dropped a bomb, I really hadn't expected. She told us that she had been planning to get rid of the baby. That's when Klaus snapped. In rage, he put his hands around her neck, choking her.
"Klaus! Stop!", I yelled and dragged him back before Rebekah could step in. "She is pregnant, what were you thinking god dammit!", I growled and he eyed the werewolf furiously. Rebekah joined in scolding her brother quickly and after everyone had settled down, told us that she had found Elijah. However, he was guarded by a powerful witch and the girl had also erased Rebekah's memory of the location.
"How are we going to find him now?"
"About that...", I jumped in and scratched my neck. "I kind of followed you and remember the location. Plus, I talked to Elijah."
"You what?", everyone looked at me.
"I did this reaching in someone elses mind thing and he was just starting to wake up because Rebekah had removed the dagger for a second and its effect immediately started wearing off.", I explained. "He said that he wanted to get to know more about this Davina girl so he wasn't planning on returning just yet."
All three kept quiet for a second. Then Klaus started to smirk.
"Caroline, you are amazing! You have just changed everything!"
I started blushing. "It was nothing."
"I have to take my brother's side on this.", Rebekah smiled. "You've kept us from doing a lot of work. So well done. Though I do not appreciate that you followed me."
Even Hayley offered me a big smile.
Klaus seemed to think. "Now, we will just have to make a plan to get this Davina girl on our side. If she really is as powerful as you say, she could be very useful." He scratched his chin. "I'll have to think about that."
Rebekah smiled. "You do that, brother. I will be off, searching for somewhere to sleep now."
She headed off and Hayley followed her. It seemed like the wolf wanted to thank her for protecting her before.
Klaus excused himself since he had to think about his plan and I quickly gave him an unexpected hug to greet him goodnight. I couldn't help but notice the familiar smirk that appeared on his face afterwards.

I went to my own bed at nighttime though that resulted in me not being able to sleep again. I woke up at 4 AM and decided to get something to drink. Surprisingly, I found the other blonde in the kitchen.
"Rebekah?"
Her eyes went up to see me and her expression darkened.
"Great. It's you. Are you gonna start being so awefully nice to me again?", she said though not as annoyed as she had been this morning. I guess my actions towards finding her brother brought her to peace with me just a little bit.
"Yes. Unless you decide to finally give me a chance.", I asked hopefully.
"Caroline, be honest. You only want to be close to me because of your interest in my brother.", she stated and looked at me to see my reaction.
"That's not true. This has nothing to do with Klaus! I honestly think we could be friends. But fine. If you don't even wanna try." Hurt was showing on my face. I got an apple and wanted to get back to my room.
"Caroline.", Rebekah stopped me. She didn't look at me this time. "I know of your talent regarding decorations. I for one suck at it. And I found a room that I could get myself settled in until my brother decides to return. Wanna lend a hand?"
A smile spread across my face.
"Of course. I'd be honored."

Okay, yikes, that was a long one. And, I'm not lying to you, I rewrote and reorganized this chapter like 20 times because I wasn't satisfied with it. So I really, really hope that you liked it!
And yes, this chapter was way longer than the previous ones but I don't think that's a problem for you all, right?
Also, this fanfiction has reached 7K reads and is currently on Rank 2 of #Klaroline. I never thought, I'd reach this point and it's all thanks to you guys! So thank you for reading, voting and commenting!
Okay, I'm done now. Next chapter will be uploaded next monday, as usual.
So stay curious and as always: enjoy your week!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

289K 3.7K 38
When a certain original comes to Mystic Falls and finds out that he has a daughter from before his family and him were turned what will he do? She is...
72.3K 2K 18
A story in which a girl who watches TVD dies and wakes up in the TVD Universe, only somethings not right.......... ⚠️DISCONTINUED⚠️
12.8K 319 30
I do not own these characters, those rights go to Julie Plec. Caroline and Katerina have been friends since they both were human. Katerina had a chi...
10.8K 316 13
I do not own these characters, those rights go to Julie Plec. Caroline is a human, and doesn't know anything about Supernaturals, yet. That wil...