The Joy of Agony | Loki

By marvel-ous

"People like him don't change. He is the god of mischief, after all." Bruce Banner has a niece; Eryn Banner... More

Odin's Punishment.
Meteor? Nah, its just Loki Skydiving.
Welcome Back to Earth. Not.
The Cute High Class Criminal.
His Crazy New Task.
Earthling, Everybody Knows Me.
Prisoner of Hope.
Nick's Fury.
The Great Escape.
Babysitting the God of Mischief
Don't Ever Play with the God of Mischief.
Heartfelt Sincerity.
Loki's Appointment.
Party Planning & Running with Scissors.
Loki's Favorite Brother is Back.
Macy's Blue Eyes.
Loki's Unknown Weakness.
A Sudden Downfall.
Hard Times Are Coming.
Nicknames, Fan-girls, and Shawarma...OH MY!
Keep Moving Forward.
How Mischievously Cute.
Avengers in Disney World (1)
Avengers in Disney World (2)
Date with a True Monster.
Only Human, Yet so Powerful.
The Solution is Gone.
Maybe, the Bad Guy is the Victim.
Sarah Knew It.
I Love You.
Oh, Shut Your Cliche Mouth.
The Other's Deception.
The God Who Cried Wolf.
Director Fury Knew All Along.
Disappointing Revelations.
Loki's Loyal Lawyer.
Prepping for the Party.
The Christmas Party.
An Apology and a Sucker Punch.
Loki's Heart Has Been Stolen.
Eryn's Doppelganger and Loki's past.
Going to Asgard.
Oh, the Joy of Asgard (1)
Oh, the Joy of Asgard (2)
Beginning of Something Worse.
A Broken Promise.
Eryn's Mischievous Lie.
There is Always Hope.
Home Sweet Home.
Best Friends for Life.
Because I Love Her.
I'm Still Here.
Babysitting with Loki.
Because I Love Him.
Ice-Skating & Magic Tricks.

Slow Adjustments.

37.3K 1.4K 411
By marvel-ous

 Slow Adjustments.

         I hadn't moved from my spot when I heard wheels driving through the gravel. Knowing S.H.I.E.L.D, I figured they would send some people over as soon as possible, considering the high frequency the portal must've released. I didn't bother to look up, feeling an ache in my chest.

             I didn't get to say goodbye...

          "I want this area searched..." The voice trailed off. It took me awhile to recognize it as Maria Hill's. Footsteps approached me, stopping once they were right in front of me. Her light gray eyes took me in, seizing me up and down in alarm. "Eryn?"

          **

           "She hasn't spoken since I've found her, but I decided not to question her, not knowing what state she is in.  All I want to know is if he will come back." 

              "Alright. I'll ask her about it and let you all know."

           I froze for a moment, recognizing the voice in the other room. After landing in New Mexico, Maria had escorted me straight to New York and as soon as I arrived, I was immediately ushered to S.H.I.E.L.D's infirmary to be checked up. I wasn't able to leave until they were sure I hadn't caught anything from Asgard or had a concussion. The only thing broken about me right now was my heart, but unfortunately, there was no medicine for that...

          "Bruce!" I cried in relief, running into the room and into his arms. I know I shouldn't have barged in like that -considering the fact that Bruce is often considered to be a walking time bomb-, but I couldn't care less about that. All I cared about was my uncle. I dug my head into his chest, stifling my sobs as he wrapped his arms around me.

               "Eryn." He replied.

               "I'll leave you two be." Maria spoke, quietly leaving the room.

           "I'm so glad you're back. I was so worried you wouldn't and that you were being held there against your will." Bruce admitted as he pulled me away to examine my face carefully. His eyebrows furrowed and he began to frown. "Did he hurt you?"

           "No." I replied. Removing his hands from my face, I glanced around, noticing the cameras. "I don't want to talk about it here. I want to go home."

        Even though I was only gone for days, it felt like I was gone for weeks. It was strange finally being back at my appartment, but it felt good to be back even though I didn't leave on good terms. Everything was just like I'd left it -only cleaner- and I knew it must've been Bruce. He was a clean freak.

          I decided to make Bruce wait and take a shower, eager to get this Asgardian clothing off. I was currently wearing a dress and as much as it was pretty, it was no match for the comfortable pair of sweatpants I had waiting in my drawer for me.

      When I was done, I settled down onto the couch with a sigh, sitting on top of my legs comfortably. Bruce was in the kitchen. When he came back, he had a tub of rocky road ice cream and two spoons. "It's the only thing I saved. I didn't know how much longer you'd be gone, so I cleaned out your fridge. Good thing I saved the ice cream. You look like you need it."

             "Thank you." I smiled faintly, taking one of the spoons from his hand and digging it into the ice cream container.

           "So," Bruce said, taking a deep breath.  His voice was laced with uncertainty, as if he didn't know what to ask or where to start. I didn't blame him. I -myself- did not know where to start. "What happened?"

             I thought about what I was going to say, leaving the room in silence for a moment. I decided to tell him everything, not caring that we both had our own biased feelings when it came to Loki. I told him how it felt like traveling to another world, how Odin wasn't informed of me going but allowing me to stay anyway, training with Sif, bonding with Frigga, and staying by Loki's side as soon as he arrived. I know I should've spared my feelings on how I felt about Loki, but if I wanted to get anywhere with Bruce, I had to tell him the truth. He didn't seem too happy about the fact that I stayed willingly in Asgard to be by Loki's side, despite Loki's condition. Not to mention the look on his face when I told him about my pregnancy lie to Odin...

             "If Odin hadn't forced you to leave, would you have stayed there?" Bruce asked.

         "I would've stayed there as long as it took for Loki to heal." I said honestly, instantly feeling his eyes on me. "I missed you terribly, but I didn't know if Loki would survive or not and that terrified me. I couldn't -I didn't want to- just leave him when he's in such a vulnerable state."

          Bruce sighed, dragging a hand down his face. I could tell he was holding back the words he wanted to say. He opened his mouth, struggling to say his next words. "Um...h-how is he?"

        "I don't know." I murmured with a deep frown. That was the problem. I did appreciate Bruce asking. It only showed that he was concerned in my feelings about Loki. I wiped at the last remain of my tears in a frustrated manner. I looked up to only see Bruce frowning lightly at me, watching me carefully. "What?"

           "You really do love him...but how can you? What do you see in him?"

           "Something that everyone doesn't." I replied. "You guys all see him as this terrible villain, but that's who he was...not who he is. I know what he did was horrible and devastating to our world, but you have to understand that we all have different sides to every story and you've yet to listen to his. He changed, Bruce."

            The look on Bruce's face was skeptical and he began to shake his head in denial. "I don't think he's completely changed, Eryn. I think he's-"

              "How would you know, if you don't give him a chance?"

          Bruce froze, taking in my words. He seemed to be deep in conflicted thoughts. For a moment, I thought he was about to agree with me about Loki. I wondered if they had bonded -even if only a little- while I was away, if the Avengers got to see a glimpse of Loki the way I saw him. They did after all fight side by side against Thanos. Bruce snapped out of his thoughts, raising an eyebrow at me. "Give him a chance? Does that mean he's coming back?" 

              "I don't know. When I left, he wasn't in good shape. If he does come back, it won't be soon." I answered, waving off his concern. I hoped he did, even if he couldn't stay much longer. I need to know if he's alright, if he got through this. Not knowing was the worse feeling in the world.

          "Anyways, enough about me. What happened after I left?"

          "We prepared for our fight against Thanos. There were no casualties fortunately; we had the city evacuated that day. Loki created a plan with Steve's help and we successfully defeated him, leaving him to the hands of Thor and Loki that took care of him." Bruce expalined briefly, obviously not wanting to go into details. I had a suspicious thought that it was because he was reluctant to agree with me that Loki was no longer the villain. "That was when he was injured, in case you were wondering. We didn't think Thanos had a weapon on him when Thor arrested him. If it weren't for Loki jumping in, Thor would've been heavily injured, more so than Loki had been."

           I sent Bruce a look, biting my lip to keep the smile from forming. He rolled his eyes, averting his gaze. "Don't look at me like that. Just because I admitted to Loki helping us, does not mean I'm warming up to him, especially not to the idea of you and him being together."

             I didn't get a chance to tease Bruce further. There was a loud, obnoxious round of knocking on my door followed by, "RIN TIN TIN, OPEN UP! I'M BEING ATTACKED BY COMPLIMENTS FROM YOUR TWO FRIENDS!"

           I grinned as I rushed to the door excitedly. When I opened the door, I was bomboarded by hugs from Sarah and Drew followed by a brief pat on the shoulder from Tony. He held up two, large bags that smelled both good and familiar. "Oh! And I brought Shawarma, too!"

             "We thought you'd never come back!" 

              "How was the All-Father?" 

            Both Sarah and Drew exclaimed, beaming at the sight of me being in front of them. "I missed you guys, too." I grinned.

          "Oh, yeah. How were the aliens?" Tony asked nonchalantly as he placed the bags on my table. Bruce stood up from his spot and joined on us on the table, pulling a chair out and sitting.

         "They were alright." I answered with a shrug, mentally preparing myself for so many questions. I ended up telling them all about Asgard and everything else just like I did with Bruce. Sarah sent me a look that I recognized to well. It was her we-need-to-talk-in-private look.

     "So, Eryn." Tony spoke, grabbing my full attention. "How would you like working at STARK industries?"

           My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. It's not that I would hate working there, but I thought- Oh! Realization sunk in and I glanced between Bruce and Tony, eyes narrowing at them. Bruce sighed.

       "Fury revoked your position at S.H.I.E.L.D. He said he couldn't have you working there, especially when half of the facility at headquarters found out that you were aiding -and I quote-  'a dangerous criminal'. I was going to tell you tomorrow after taking you out for breakfast." Bruce explained, scowling at Tony who looked away innocently, pretending to be very interested in the wall.

       "So I was fired...," I murmured. All because I helped out Loki? But it didn't make sense. Fury knew I was from the start, but I figured if he admitted his failed attempt at his 'Loki mission', it wouldn't look too good on him. I still can't believe it. I mean, I've worked there for a few years. I wasn't hurt by it; just surprised. I don't think I would've continued working there anyways, so it was for the best. I wouldn't be able to face Jared everyday, not when just by looking at him, I feel the urge to punch him again.

         "Shouldn't you be beaming in joy? I am-after all-, giving you an offer to work at the happiest place on Earth inhabited by the best person on Earth." Tony stated, sending me a dramatic incredulous look.

              I laughed, playfully rolling my eyes, but finally answered his question. "I'd be honored to."

**

             Once the door had shut behind them, Sarah leaned against it, her eyes studying me carefully. "Alright! I want details!" She demanded, locking the door before grabbing my hand and dragging me to the couch.

              Tony was the first to leave followed by Bruce and Drew. Bruce had planned on staying since he wasn't fond of the idea of me being alone, but when Sarah offered to stay, he left reassured that I'd be fine. As for Drew, Sarah sent him home, claiming that it was a 'girl's night'. Now, it was just the two of us and I wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing.

             "Ask away." I told her with a smile.

           "When did he give you that necklace? It's so beautiful and- is it glowing?" Sarah gushed, getting distracted by my emerald necklace.

                I glanced down to see that it was glowing. I hadn't really paid attention to it since I've gotten back home. It felt warm and comforting against my skin. I had a feeling that it was charmed to do more than just let me know when I was thinking of him; I think it also has a way of notifying me if he's okay or not. And in times like these, I was most grateful for it.

         "On Christmas. He wanted to give me something that'd remind me of him when he was gone. It's charmed to glow whenever he's thinking about me, and if anything bad happens to him, I'll be the first to know." I told her, smiling fondly as I fidgeted with the glowing necklace in between my fingers.

         "Aww! I didn't think he'd be capable of being romantic at all." She sheepishly admitted, playfully shoving me.

         "Yeah, you're not the only one who thinks like that." I told her with a laugh. We spent most of the day talking and gushing about things only girls would understand and actually care for until it was too late and Sarah could barely keep her eyes opened. Bruce would hulk out if he knew I'd spent the night with Loki that's why I was so glad and fortunate that Sarah had stayed instead of him. There are certain things you just don't tell your overprotective uncle.

        "Goodnight." She called as she headed toward my guest room with a yawn, walking like a zombie.

           I, on the other hand, wasn't tired at all but went into my room. It'd take a while for me to get used to being back in Earth. Slow adjustments, I told myself. I was glad I had packed lightly when I went to Asgard, because Odin being the jerk he was, didn't even let me retrieve my bag from Loki's room. With a sigh, I sat on my bed, running a hand through my hair.

        I paused when my eyes landed on my desk where a black, wool coat rested. It was Loki's. I stood up, reaching for it carefully. I headed toward my closet, hanging it when something slipped out of one of the pockets, landing on the floor. Bending down, I picked it up and smiled, recognizing it.

            They were the pictures from the Disney booth that we had taken. My smile widened at the sight of the last picture where I had caught Loki off guard by kissing his cheek. I would always hold that memory close to me. Placing the photo strip somewhere safe, I retreated back to my bed, slipping into the cool covers.

             I couldn't sleep. Instead, I laid on my back staring at the ceiling -with my glowing necklace in my hand-, wondering if I'd ever see Loki again.

A/N: I hope this chapter wasn't too boring, but I just really needed Eryn to get adjusted to being back home. I promise the next one will be interesting! >:D lol. Bruce & Eryn are reunited at last! So, Eryn no longer works at S.H.I.E.L.D, but it's all good because Tony hired her. How do you think that will go? Do you think Bruce is warming up to the idea of Loki? Please leave your thoughts below! <3

The next chapter will include bits of a former one from JOR (Best Friends for Life), but for the most part, it'll be something you haven't ready so stay tuned! Oh! & before I forget, I've recently made an instagram account where I will be posting things about Wattpad, Marvel, &my stories. You can find me on there @marvelous.wattpad ! I'll follow the first 100 back!

TO ANYONE WHO HASN'T READ THE AUTHOR'S NOTE ON JOR: After much thought & consideration, I decided to remove the sequel and continue this instead since I wasn't happy with the turn out of the sequel. I'm sorry to those of you who were reading & suddenly couldn't anymore, but I did this for the best & to be happy with the turn out of this story. Anyways, feel free to ask me questions -if you're curious and want to know- revolving around what would've/could've/did happen in JOR & I'll be happy to answer!(:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

352K 10.3K 55
"Nice to see you again, darling.", he smirked at her, tracing his index finger along her jawline. "Shut up, Laufeyson.", the young lady snapped back...
173K 5K 51
She walked out from the red drapes in nothing more than lingerie to the dance floor and began the entrancing performance, just another night. Music p...
5.4K 184 52
Long before the events of Thor and the Avengers, the god of mischief fell for a common Asgardian maiden. Late night meetings and secret rendezvous's...
47.7K 1.9K 15
He is Loki of Asgard, the god of mischief, the rightful king of Jotunheim, Odinson, and last but certainly the most important: gender fluid. For much...