Hard Times Are Coming.

“No,” I cried, throwing myself over her body. My head rested over her heart, but I heard nothing and it shattered mine into pieces. I would no longer get to be with her, no longer see her smile or laugh. The closet person I had to a mother is now long gone.

I pulled myself up, turning to Loki. My tears blurred my vision, but I could still see the horrified expression on his face. He was still, as if deep in thought. “She’s gone,” I croaked, pulling him out of his thoughts. He glanced at me, and immediately gave me his shoulder to cry on.

“Macy was like a mother to me; I loved her with all my heart.” I cried. Loki began to rub circles on my back trying to sooth me as I choked on my sobs. “Everyone I love seems to die…”

I froze and instantly pulled away from Loki. What if Bruce or Loki were next? Then, what would become of me? What if whoever targeted Macy goes after everyone else I love? Oh gosh…Jared, I thought. My eyes widened.

“It’s all my fault.”

“Don’t blame yourself over the cycle of life. Eryn, death is at every corner and as much as I don’t want to say this…it was bound to come.”

“No,” I began shaking my head. I understood where Loki was coming from, but he didn’t know. He didn’t see Macy’s blue eyes, he didn’t see her sudden change of personality, and he didn’t know her well enough to be mournful.

“This was because of me.-“Loki began to shake his head in protest. “- Look at her, Loki!” I demanded, but he didn’t. He remained in his place. “Look at her!”

Finally turning to her, I began to speak again as I watched his jaw tighten when he gave Macy a good look. “Her body is a pale blue. She was no more than seventy years old! This was no natural death. This was a murder, and I have the strangest feeling that it was all because of me-“

His hands firmly gripped my head and he forced me to look into his eyes. His eyes were blue, but under the colored contacts, I could see his glowing green eyes faintly. “This wasn’t your fault.”

“You don’t understand. Her eyes…they were-“

“Please,” he begged in a sultry voice. I reluctantly nodded. He then released his grip and I let out a heavy sigh. I slipped my phone out of my pocket and shakily dialed the police department. There was no use in dialing 9-1-1 when I knew that there was no hope for Macy. After giving out my location and other info, I dialed Bruce. He answered on the first ring. “Hello?”

“Can you please come down to the Antique shop?” I asked, my voice quivering. The tears flowed endlessly down my cheek. I just couldn’t stop.

“Of course. What’s wrong?” He replied, sensing that something bad was up.

“Macy’s dead.” I managed to choke out. Right after those words were said, my heart gave out once again and new sobs racked my body.