After the Crank (TMR Fanfic)...

By SaminaZilfan

Thomas had never been happy living in the safe place. he felt something missing. he couldn't forget about his... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Surprise
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
announcement

Chapter 19

344 14 1
By SaminaZilfan

August 13, 2018

-------------------

Hans drove the minibus faster. The cannon was fully controlled by Thomas and Minho. They fired until no more ammo left. They didn’t think to reload because the bus was far enough from WICKED. Newt sat right behind the driver seat. Clarisse was on his lap, unconscious. She made Newt eaten by worry and also the others.

After a dozen miles, the minibus stopped in front of an apartment. Thomas still had a memory about Hans’s apartment and he was sure the building stood in front of him wasn’t the apartment he had ever visited. That apartment was slightly worse than Hans’s old apartment. The paint looked dull. He hesitated there were some people lived there.

Hans turned around. “Newt, you know where you should take your friends. I’m gonna get back soon.”

Newt nodded.

Hans changed his gaze, smiling kindly. “Brenda, Jorge, Thomas, and Minho, it’s nice to see you alive and healthy. But, Minho, you got shot. Don’t worry, you’ll be fine.”

Minho only nodded. Though he said he felt good, he absolutely need the medical treatment. Moreover, his expression betrayed him. Minho’s face was a bit pale, probably because he lost a lot of blood. Thomas hoped Hans would fulfill his word. For that time, the most thing he wanted was to see Minho and Clarisse got recovery.

“Kevin, you go first! Climb Go to the eight floor, find the door number 821. I am right behind you.” Newt placed his arms beneath Clarisse’s shoulder and knees, readying to lift her bridal style.

Kevin only need once command. He quickly got out of the minibus, leading the others to enter the apartment.

“If you don’t mind, I can help you, Newt.” Thomas approached Newt who had just stepped out of the minibus. He seriously offerd a help, for Clarisse, not for Teresa. He slowly accepted that Teresa had a twin sister. They were different though Clarisse looked very similar to Teresa—except her hair that cut short. Now, he could feel the difference. There was no trill in his heart when he saw Clarisse.

“Yeah, come help me, Tommy! I can’t do it alone with my bed leg.”

They weren’t the last entering the apartment. Jorge were waiting beside the door while they were coming. Right after all of them were inside it, Jorge closed the door. The color of the wall inside the apartment was as pale as the outside wall. It had poor lighting. Some lamps that were installed on the ceiling turned off. Fortunately, they didn’t need to climb the stair. The elevator was working.

Just like Thomas thought before, they didn’t meet any people at the apartment. He didn't know either some people were doing their activity outside the apartment or Hans was the only one who lived there. As long as they walked toward the door number 821 only silence welcomed them. Newt gave a poliphynil chloryde card to Kevin so he could open the door.

Thomas hopped to meet someone with a big smile on face as he looked inside. Or a bit worse, someone prevented them to enter the room before Newt explained so many things. Apparently not. No one there. At least the room wasn’t empty at all. There were two big sofas and a table in the middle of the room. To the left, there were two door Thomas thought were bedrooms. Straight passed the main room there was another room, Thomas thought it was a living room or such of it. Between the living room and the bedroom there was a kitchen and maybe a shower room. But, he didn't see Hans’s room.

“Right here, Tommy!” Newt aimed to the first door at his left before he could finish his thought.

The room was bigger than he expected. There were three beds and a big closet with medical stuff placed there. Thomas and Newt lied Clarisse on on of the bed. While Newt sat on another bed, Thomas got out of the room. He easily found Brenda and the others. Brenda also needed a second to found him. She smiled as Thomas walking toward her.

“Hei, you still a Med-Jack, aren’t you?” Thomas asked with low voice. He didn’t want the others to listen.

“In this world, you’ll figure out people call it ... a nurse maybe.”

Thomas smiled. A simple joke from Brenda filled his chest with happiness. He almost forgot the list time he did joke. Brenda did it in the right time.

“Whatever. Can you help Clarisse and Minho until Hans arrive? I’m sure Hans has the equipment you need.” Thomas hopped for a positive answer from Brenda. He saw Minho. Despite Minho could stood in his feet, he couldn’t really hide the effect from the bullet that trapped between the flesh in his arm. He was twice pale than before.

“I can try to take the bullets out of their bodies.” Brenda said. It was enough to ensure Thomas that she truly could did that. In fact, Brenda did a great job in Safe Haven.

“Good that.” Thomas smiled in relief. “You can treat Clarisse first. I’ll call Minho.”

Brenda nodded. Then they both took a different way.

“The shower room was there.” Thomas announced loudly, expecting for attention. All of them glanced at him as the answer. “You shanks maybe need to clean yourselves up.”

Two second without any responses, Sam raised up, heading to the shower room.

Thomas shifted his eyes, taking it to Minho’s right arm. “How’s that?”

“I’m perfectly fine.”

“No, Minho. It’s still bleeding.” Thomas could see Minho’s shirt was getting stained by the blood.

“Yeah, but ... yeah, it hurts a little now.”

“Is that very difficult Minho? To admit that it totally hurts?” Thomas smirked, mockingly.

Minho’s face swelled in anger and embarrassment. “Shut your hole, shuck face!”

“Slim it, shank!” Thomas chuckled. “Follow me. Brenda will do something to your wound.”

“I have no choice.” Minho shrugged arrogantly.

Thomas playfully slapped Minho’s shoulder when the stepped in to Hans’s room.

Brenda hadn’t finished with Clarisse yet. Newt was across her, watching seriously. His hands crossed. Once he realized Thomas and Minho were there, his lifted his face. His attention was on Minho’s arm.”

“You look very bad, Minho.”

“Yeah, I think I will faint in a second.” Minho seemed to get bored with such that statement.

“You know that’s genuine and will happen very soon.” Newt reminded.

“Yeah, I get it.” Brenda told. She got the bullet, then placed it in a metal bowl.

“Good that. You’re next, Minho.” Thomas pushed Minho.

That time, Minho obeyed. He heading toward another bed. Without any command from Brenda, he lied himself. “Do it quickly, sweetie!”

“I’ll take the bullet out before you whine like a sissy.” Brenda let a smiled escaped from her lips.

Minho didn’t release a word. He let Brenda clean his wound. His face strained when Brenda started using a metal stuff to take the bullet out of his arm. Meanwhile, Brenda did her job without doubt. WICKED taught her well for sure. She also had developed her skill in Safe Haven.

“See, I get it!” Brenda placed that bullet in a same metal bowl.

At the moment, someone came in to the room. It was Hans. “Sorry, couldn’t come very quick.” He took some steps closer toward Clarisse, examining her. “Her heartbeat a bit slow. Breathing slow either.”  He headed to his big closet, taking all the stuff he needed. An anxiety line that formed on his face indicated Clarisse condition was worse.

Thomas felt his heart beat faster. It was a bad news for him. Thomas wandered his eyes to his friends to realize Newt’s reaction was worst. His face whitened. Worry stole his whole expression.

“Brenda, you can help Minho?” Hans asked as he back to his position, near to Clarisse bed.

“I’ll do my best, Hans. Just tell me what to do.”

“Okay.” Hans turned his face. “Josh, come in! I need assistant.”

In a second, the boy stood right beside Hans who carefully installed the medical instrument to Clarisse’s body.

“Em, Newt.” Thomas hesitated. “I think we should get out of here.”

“I know.” But, Newt didn’t move an inch. His eyes froze to Clarisse. A few moment, then he left the room before Thomas stepped.

“No wonder. He was with Clarisse since her found him.” Hans explained. He was still busy with the medical instrument.

The second sentence from Hans made Thomas raised his eyebrows. He itched to glared at Minho who stare at him in disbelief.

“I mean, they had been struggling together, protecting each other ... just like you do in the Maze and Scorch.” Hans told, as if he could read Thomas’s and Minho’s mind. “They’re best friend. No wonder Clarisse condition made Newt so upset. I feel the same.”

“You can safe Clarisse, Hans?”

“That’s what I hope. I’ll do my best, Thomas.”

“I believe in you, Hans. Brenda told you’re genius. I trust her.” With that, Thomas walked away. He found Newt. The blondie was at the balcony. His both hands placed on the fence.

Newt didn’t moved when Thomas came. His gaze thrown away, looking far at the distance. Thomas let the silence covered them, letting Newt with his own mind.

Several minutes passed.

“She saved me when the death was so close.” Newt finally spoke up.

Thomas could only stared at him. He tried to say something, but no words came. Newt statement was so powerful. He couldn’t imagine what Newt felt after he left him. Alone with the mutated virus eating his brain and the memory about his sister. He needed to thank Clarisse for saving his best friend.

“And she gave me a life when I thought I’d lost my life.” Newt lowered his head, closing his lips for a few second. “She did it again.”

A long pause.

“She’s gonna be alright, Newt.” That stupid words spontaneously escaped from Thomas’s mouth. He didn’t know about Clarisse condition more than Newt did. Even, if the words came from Hans, it had no meaning because Hans could say itu only for pleased Newt.

“Newt, I know there’s nothing I can do right now.” Thomas swallowed a lump of sadness that form in his throat. “But, you know, I’m here with you. We support each other.”

“And don’t forget about me.” That heavy voice came from Minho. It was a surprise to see him seemingly got well very fast. His face was back to its natural color. Bandage covered his wound. Minho looked more like a person who had tripped over a small stone then his arm crashed the table instead of a person who had gotten shot.

“Thanks. I mean that.” Newt showed a little happiness on his face. “How—”

“Can you guys stop asking for my condition?” Minho cut him off. “I can handle this. So, stop worrying about me, okay?” He grinned, trying to liquefy the atmosphere.

“Okay. You get what you want, shank.” Thomas answered, hopping his voice was steady enough.

“I bet in a few hours, you will ask that shuckin’ question, Thomas.” Minho said confidently. The way he looked at Thomas indicated Thomas had just said something wrong. “No, Thomas. I don’t think about something bad.” His grin became clearer.

“Shuck!” Thomas spat. “What’s wrong with you, Minho. Do you need some cream to style your hair?”

“What’s up, Lizzy?”

Thomas and Minho shifted their eyes at once. Sonya was standing at the threshold.

“I just ... are you okay, Newt?”

“Nothing to worry about me, Lizzy.” Newt smiled genuinely.

“Glad to hear that.” Her face turned to see Minho. “Your arm?”

Minho shrugged. “I’m perfectly fine.”

“That’s good.” Sonya turned around, marching away.

“I know what you need, Minho.” Thomas stated with an evil smile.

“Shuck it! If the situation is different, I’m sure Thomas has so many question for you, Newt.”

Those words made Newt frown. He stare at Thomas, asking for explanation. “I don’t understand.”

Thomas thought Minho shouldn’t make him as the only subject. Minho had the same urge to know about some information from Newt. If they wrote it down, Thomas sure, they some similar questions.

“He meant, we hope Clarisse get well soon.” Thomas lied.

“No. You lie. I think I know what you mean.”

“Yeah, you know, Newt.” Minho replied quickly.

Newt’s expression change at once. Guilt took a very big part. “Listen, Tommy. I don’t—”

“It’s okay, Newt.” Thomas didn’t let Newt finish his sentence. He also didn’t need the answer for all of the question that gathered in his head. Newt’s expression explained a lot, giving Thomas all the thing he wanted to know.

***

To be continued

---------------

See ya
Love,

Samina

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 59.8K 42
❝But now I know that wherever we are, or whatever we're doing, we'll always have each other.❞ You woke up in the Maze two years ago with no memories...
1K 47 42
Minho and Newt have been friends and lovers for a long time, and everything was okay. Until it wasn't. After the maze, they both start sinking into g...
481 14 14
**COMPLETED** CHARACTERS OWNED BY JAMES DASHNER - though I have some original characters in the story that I made so that the plot could work! (Hope...
4.5K 101 25
|The conclusion to the Edge of Insanity Trilogy| a Minho/TMR fanfiction After escaping the Maze and WCKD's trials, Ari and her friends thought they...