Becca's Moments

By lazy_writr

Trust - the firm belief in the reliability, truth, or ability of someone or something. Due to her past traum... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter TwentyOne
Chapter TwentyTwo
Chapter TwentyFour
Chapter TwentyFive
Chapter TwentySix
Chapter TwentySeven
Chapter TwentyEight
Chapter TwentyNine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter ThirtyOne
Chapter ThirtyTwo
Chapter ThirtyThree Part 1
Chapter ThirtyThree Part 2
Chapter ThirtyFour
Chapter ThirtyFive
Chapter ThirtySix
Chapter ThirtySeven
Chapter ThirtyEight
Chapter ThirtyNine
Chapter Forty
Chapter FortyOne
Chapter FortyTwo
Chapter FortyThree
Chapter FourtyFour
Chapter FortyFive
Chapter FortySix
Chapter FortySeven
Chapter FortyEight
Chapter FortyNine
Chapter Fifty (Part one)
Chapter Fifty (Part two)

Chapter TwentyThree

18.4K 211 72
By lazy_writr

Kayden

I woke up with a migraine the next day. The only thing I remembered was getting home and smoking the fattest blunt. Everything else was a blur after that.

I sat up and rubbed my tired eyes. They felt sore and were probably bloodshot, but I couldn't afford to go back to sleep.

My phone vibrated. I checked to see well over 40 messages from friends and loved ones, all wishing me a happy birthday. As blessed as I felt, today was bittersweet. Aunt Tanisha had told me to celebrate today, and that was what I planned to do, even if I didn't want to.

I slipped out of bed and went to my drawer. I opened the first one, took out some rizla, crow and tobacco, and started rolling it by the windowsill. It was something I did most mornings to prepare it for the evening.

My phone vibrated again. I looked at the name and answered.

"Hi Ree."

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Kaydennnnn," she took a deep inhale, "happy birthday to you!"

I smiled. "Thanks, baby. Might need to work on your voice a bit, though."

"Shut up. I already decided I'll be nice to you today, so don't push it."

I fiddled with my fresh roll up and peered out the window. The sky was overcast, it looked like it would be a miserable day, but I couldn't let that stop me. Aunt Tanisha's words rang in my ears.

"I need you to enjoy yourself tomorrow. Make sure you do something to commemorate this milestone. Life is short and it'll hit you when you least expect it. So, promise me you'll celebrate as much as you can..."

"Kayden?" I could hear the worry in Rebecca's voice.

"I'm here."

"What are you doing?"

"Just woke up."

She sighed. "It's nearly 12."

"I had a late night." I fiddled with my lighter on the windowsill, brushing my thumb over the roller. I was tempted to smoke right now, ease my worries a bit, but I didn't want to feel sluggish before my day had even begun. "You coming round today?"

"That's the plan. I finish at half four."

I hummed. "Wear something nice for me."

"I'll keep my Footlocker shirt on."

I imagined Rebecca in that shirt and nothing else, sauntering towards me with her hips swaying.

"Or you could wear that lingerie again," I said. She fell silent for a moment; I could tell she was blushing.

"I'm never wearing that again."

"It's my birthday, Ree."

"Don't worry, I'll give you eighteen slaps."

That made me laugh. "How's work?"

"It's boring. Stacey's not here so Mo's covering. Not much going on."

"Just think about how you'll please me later. That should pass the time."

She scoffed. "Anyway, I'll see you later."

"Yeah, bye." She hung up and I threw my phone down. It kept vibrating with new messages. I wasn't in the right mind frame to respond to anyone just yet. I placed the zoot in my top drawer and decided to start my day.

I headed downstairs to the kitchen where I could hear music and chatter. Everyone was sat at the table, and they all smiled as I entered.

"You've finally risen. Happy birthday!" Mum was on me in an instant, hugging me and kissing my cheek repeatedly—something she did to tease me when I was younger. "You're a big man now, I'm proud of you."

It was similar to what aunt Tanisha had said. I smiled weakly and Dad slapped me hard on the back.

"Happy birthday, son. How're you feeling?"

"Tired," I muttered.

"Get used to that."

Mum nudged Dad in the ribs and he laughed.

"Happy birthday, Kayden." Zaine handed me a homemade card. I smiled at the gesture and thanked him, pulling his ponytail like I always did. He slapped my hand away with a laugh.

Mum handed me an 18th card, giving me another kiss on the cheek for good measure. I ended up with money, some tops and tracksuits, and some exclusive football boots. I thanked them and gave everyone a hug before heading back upstairs. After putting my gifts and money away, I grabbed my towel and went in the shower.

It wasn't long before I was fully dressed. I left my room, about to head downstairs, but caught Dad standing on the landing.

"How was she?" he asked. I knew immediately who he was referring to.

"Weak. But she was in high spirits."

He stuffed his hands in his pockets. "Sounds just like her. She doesn't want you to worry."

"Not gonna lie Dad, that's impossible."

"I know. Your mum said the same thing." He sighed and pushed away from the wall. "Try and enjoy yourself today. We'll go and see her tomorrow."

I nodded, already knowing that was the plan. I went to the stairs but his hand on my shoulder stopped me.

"What's the one thing you've wanted for a long time?"

I turned to look at him, my mind blank. "I don't know."

Dad rolled his eyes. "So, you don't remember wanting a new car?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Your licence is catching dust." He nudged me playfully. "Why don't we go get you one?"

I quirked a brow, unsure if I'd heard him clearly. "What?"

He laughed. "I'll be outside." Before I could respond, he turned and headed downstairs, leaving me dumbstruck.

I looked at the ceiling and felt like cheering. Fuck, today was gonna be a good day after all.

On the motorway, I couldn't help but think about what took place the night before. The fact that Kenneth and the others were ready to stoop so low just to get Dean's attention. It was one thing to target the people who had wronged Marik and give them a warning, but it was another thing to kidnap a little child who had nothing to do with the situation.

They were so absorbed in this lifestyle that they couldn't see the issue. And they had the fucking audacity to threaten me if I left. Little did they know that Marik wasn't a threat to me. He could try his worst and it would be a waste of time. I knew his strengths and weaknesses, I knew what made him tick, and I knew exactly how he operated. Working for that sick fuck for all these years has taught me one thing: no one is indisposable.

Dad turned down the radio. "Do you know what car you want?"

It was something I hadn't thought about for a while, so I shrugged. "Not yet, but I'll know when I see it."

He nodded. "I think I know what you'll go for."

"Which one?"

He smiled. "Let's see what you pick first, and I'll tell you if I'm right."

We arrived at the Volkswagen dealership and were led through to the showroom. There were all sorts of models I'd never even considered. Some were sleek and refined, others were clunky hatchbacks.

It wasn't long before I'd set my sights on the black Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI. I stopped in my tracks and circled the car, analysing its every detail. It was the perfect size, colour and shape, with a minimalist interior that suited my style to a T.

"This one?" Dad asked, sounding amused.

"She's sexy, Dad."

"She?"

"Yeah, it's a she. I need this car."

Dad laughed and called the salesman over, who was excited that someone was willing to buy.

"Would you like to take it for a test drive, sir?"

"Yeah." He handed me the keys and I opened the car and sat inside.

Dad slipped into the passenger seat and whistled. "Nice."

I rested my hands on the seats and stroked the material, inhaling the new car smell. Then I gripped the steering wheel. It was perfect. After starting the car and leaving the dealership, I drove down the quiet roads, getting a feel of the engine. It'd been a while since I passed my test, but muscle memory allowed me to adjust to the wheel, pedals and gears quickly. I've always preferred manual to automatic, the gear stick allowed me to be in control of the car.

Once we returned to the dealership, I was ready to purchase. We went through the MOT, car insurance and other important documents. Then the payment came. Luckily, Dad was a seasoned haggler and managed to get the price knocked down a bit. Once everything was finalised and forms were filled in, we left.

"How long were we in there for?" I asked.

Dad checked his watch. "A good hour and a half."

The car was ready and waiting. We approached it and I whistled. I couldn't get over it. I owned a car; it was mine.

"I don't even know what to say. Thanks, Dad."

He grabbed me into a playful headlock. "You deserve it. Happy birthday." He unlocked his Audi, which was parked in front of my car. "By the way, I was right."

I laughed. Good thing we didn't place a bet on which car I would go for.

"You gonna follow me back?" he asked.

"Yeah. Be careful I don't pass you, though."

He laughed and got in the car. I followed suit, slipping into my brand-new Golf and switching on the engine. The car came to life once again, and the screen flashed the date and time. Dad had given me a few CDs to play. I entered the disk and the base pumped through the speakers.

I followed Dad back home. The drive on the motorway was the best part; the engine purred smoothly as I practically glided. This car was my new favourite thing. Rebecca probably won't like being second on my list, but once she saw this car, she'll understand.

Yeah. Today will be a good day.

Becca

My shift was almost up. Mohammed and I rejoiced as the clock struck 4pm. Just 30 more minutes and then I could leave this prison.

I'd just finished serving an elderly woman when Natasha, a new employee in her mid-twenties, came over. She was dark-skinned with a lovely 4c afro and the most perfect teeth I've ever seen. As well as being extremely pretty, she had a lovely personality to match.

"Stock check's done," she said, looking as drained as I felt. "Anything left to do?"

I glanced at the task sheet stuck by the till. There were at least five things unticked, but I couldn't care less right now.

"Nope, that's it," I muttered.

She stretched and sighed. "Thank God. You'll be done soon, I'm so jealous."

"I wish I could go home and sleep, but I have things to do."

"It's Kayden's birthday, right?"

"Yep. He demanded my presence."

She laughed. "Shame he's so young."

I raised a brow at that. "What do you mean?"

She leaned on the counter. "You're not together, are you?"

"Just friends."

"He looks older than he actually is. I'm just saying if he was at least 23, I would've gone there." She winked but I could only stare back with a blank face.

"So, he's your type?"

"I think he's everyone's type."

I hummed. Fair enough. "You like him then?"

Natasha shrugged, now acting coy. "Just a small crush."

I couldn't say I was shocked that Kayden's fan club had a new member. And while Natasha thought he was too young, I had no doubt in my mind that Kayden had slept with women much older than him before. Would rather not think about it, though.

It was 6pm when I approached Kayden's house. I went to open the gate, but a car horn stopped me in my tracks. I spun around to see a shiny black car parked on the street and Kayden's sideways smirk beaming at me in the driver's seat.

My jaw dropped as I walked towards the car. It suited him well; the smugness was clear on his face as he wound the window down.

"Hop in," he said once I was close enough.

I did as he said and entered the car. It had that brand-new car smell, and I practically melted into the cushioned seats. "It's so nice," I muttered. "You have the best parents."

He smiled and looked mysterious with his cap concealing his eyes. "I do."

I stroked the dashboard. "Was this waiting outside for you?"

"Nah, my dad drove me to the showroom earlier."

I was amazed. If only Marcus could adopt me.

Kayden's hand ran along the steering wheel, admiring every crevice. Then he faced me. "Jealous?"

"Of the car? No. Of you? Yes."

He chuckled and turned the stereo on. Soft R&B tunes seeped out the speakers.

"How long have you been sat here?" I asked.

"About 30 minutes. Too many kids inside."

I raised a brow. "Your family's here?"

"Yeah. Mostly my dad's side. They love clinging to me and pulling my hair. Had to get out."

The image of kids dogpiling Kayden and bullying him made me laugh.

'Crazy' by K-Ci & JoJo began to play. Kayden turned the dial to boost the volume, then he gave me a longing look. Before I could speak, he began clicking his fingers and singing along. I was amazed by how good his vocals were, even if he was only playing around.

"Baby I apologise for all the things I done, that I done," he grabbed onto my hand and began serenading me. "See I know, I've been a fool for far too lonnnggg!"

I was crying at this point. Kayden stopped when he saw my laughter and flashed a grin. "I know you're not laughing at me after the singing you did today." I glared and he started the engine. The car purred to life.

"Strap in," he whispered.

There was something about the thrilling look in his eyes that made me smile. This was the Kayden I was used to seeing. He'd recently faced some horrible news and didn't know how to handle it, but it was nice to see him enjoying himself.

I clicked the seatbelt into place. "Where are we going?"

"For a spin." After that, he expertly pulled out of the parking space and took off down the road. The car ran smoothly, swallowing the road bumps as it cruised along. Kayden looked extremely comfortable behind the wheel; his elbow propped on the window ledge while his other hand handled the wheel with ease. It was incredibly sexy.

I analysed the roads as he turned this way and that, driving further away from his house to enter wider, faster roads. Music continued to play through the speakers as he manoeuvred the roundabout and slowed to a stop at the traffic light.

"I had no idea you could drive," I mused.

Kayden shrugged. "I passed my test last year but got lazy searching for a car. This is perfect, though." He stroked the wheel again as if admiring it. "My Sacha."

My head snapped to him quickly. "What?"

"Sacha. That's her name."

"What–?"

"Sexy Affordable Car Harbouring Attention."

I gave him the blankest look. "You really thought this through, huh?"

"You'll understand when you get your own." I slapped his thigh and he chuckled. "I'm joking, Ree. You don't even need a car. I'll drive you everywhere."

The possessive tone in his voice made me shudder, but I didn't want him to know how much I liked the sound of that. "No thanks."

His smirk annoyed me. "You know you want that."

"Whatever."

We continued cruising along and I felt more than relaxed. It was nice to bask in each other's company and have a good laugh without the extra drama involved. Plus, when we weren't relaxing in bed together, the sexual tension wasn't as strong.

Speaking of sex...

"Kayden?"

"Hm?" he grunted, now switching to a Hip-Hop CD. Nas' voice flowed from the speakers as he waited for the light to turn green. I thought to ask him about Olivia, but I didn't want to ruin the good mood, so I blurted out something else instead.

"How many girls have you slept with?"

Kayden almost stalled the car. He changed gears and picked up speed again just as the lights changed. "What?"

"How many?"

I wasn't sure if it was nerves or confusion on his face, but he remained quiet for a while. "Where is this coming from?"

I shrugged. "Just curious."

He pondered for a moment—probably trying to decide whether he should lie to me or not—before sighing. "I don't know the exact number, but around 15."

My eyes bugged. That number for someone his age was... "Are you joking?"

"No."

"Where did you even find the time?"

That made him laugh. "There's always time. Plus, I started young."

"How young are we talking?"

"Thirteen."

"THIRT—" The shock choked me. I tried my best to compose myself, but that really did take me by surprise. Kayden wasn't a saint, I knew that, but to be sexually active at that age ... it made me wonder if he was taken advantage of. I shuddered thinking about it.

"Was the girl ... your age?" I asked as slowly as I could.

"Me and Aaliyah are the same age, yeah."

I thought maybe I had heard wrong, but the serious expression on his face gave me goosebumps, and suddenly my heart was going into overdrive. "I thought you were friends?"

"We are."

"But... so, you two were together at some point?"

Kayden turned the corner, and I could tell we were getting close to his house again. "Nah."

"Huh?"

He gave a weak smile at my confusion. "We experimented when we were younger and one thing led to another, basically."

I couldn't even try to contain the surprise on my face. "Was she your first?"

"Yeah. What's with all the questions, though?"

"Just wondered."

Kayden hummed. "Don't get the wrong idea. I've changed since then." He slowed down and turned left back onto his road. "I don't want you to think I fuck anything on sight."

Olivia came to mind, but I quickly banished the thought. "I mean..."

He shot me a look. "I mean it. I'm not like that anymore. I haven't had sex in a good seven months."

I studied his face to see if he was lying, or perhaps joking, but it was incredibly straight. Shit, he was 100 percent serious. "Why?"

Kayden wasted no time parking the car, and soon the engine was turned off, killing the music along with it. He finally turned to me with an earnest expression. "Why do you think?"

I understood what he meant straight away. If I did the maths, I've known Kayden roughly seven months now, and he's been on my case since day one. I could've kicked myself for missing something so obvious.

Feeling nervous, I changed the subject quickly and handed him the enveloped card from my handbag. "Happy birthday, by the way." I watched as he removed the card from the envelope and read the words. Then a smile spread across his face before he turned to me again.

"Thanks, Ree."

I waved it off. "It's cool. Don't worry, I have a present too."

"Eighteen slaps?" he guessed.

The fact that he remembered made me laugh. "That's for later."

Kayden's hand slid around my head and gently pulled me forward as he crushed his lips against mine. I shut my eyes and sighed into the kiss. It felt like ages ago since we last shared a kiss; there was something about this one that made my insides stir.

A sudden knock on the window broke us apart just as quickly. I turned to the culprit and saw Kayden's flamboyant friend, Christian, beaming at us.

"Sorry to interrupt, but this car is fucking sexy!" Without warning, he slipped into the back seat, his grin unwavering. "What you sayin', man?" Kayden simply nodded and he looked at me. "Nice to see you again, Rebecca."

"Same to you," I said with a forced smile, a little irritated that such a sweet kiss had to end so soon. It was Kayden's day, however, so I couldn't be too mad.

"What're you doing here?" Kayden asked. The serious tone knocked me for six. He'd gone from playful to deadpan in a matter of seconds. Did he really not want Chris here, or was I missing something much deeper than that?

"It's your birthday. I had to come," Chris muttered, now sounding serious as well.

"After everything I said yesterday?"

"I was on your side from the beginning. What they're doing is fucked."

"Where are they now?"

"Searching."

Kayden kissed his teeth. My eyes flitted back and forth between them, trying to grasp the conversation but coming up blank.

Chris' demeanour changed once again, probably to lighten the mood. He stroked the seats. "Anyway, this car is nice man. I'd beat in this."

I laughed. "You're gonna make a man very happy one day, Chrissy."

He frowned. "I'm not gay!"

Kayden managed a smile. "Let's go inside."

Kayden

I was getting bullied by children. Family and friends filled the house, music pumped, and drinks flowed. We haven't had a gathering in a while and my little cousins were eager to play. Unfortunately, they saw me as a climbing frame.

"Again!" Lorenzo demanded after I'd finished putting him down.

"Nooo, my turn now," Zariah said with a pout.

"You had three goes already," Theo argued.

I don't know how many times I'd given them all a piggyback around the house, pretending to be a spaceship of all things, but I'd had enough. "That's it now. I need a break."

Ava giggled. "You're getting old."

"Take that back or you're not getting any cake."

She quickly apologised, gripping my leg and telling me how much she loved me. I simply smiled and ruffled her hair.

"I'll be back guys. Go play with Zaine," I said. They all cheered and rushed upstairs to Zaine's room.

I took that as my chance to head for the kitchen. All the women of the family were loudly conversing, dancing and drinking. There was so much going on, it amazed me that they could have a coherent conversation, but that's what wine did, I guess.

I pulled out three cups and grabbed the Captain Morgan from the cupboard. As I made some drinks, I overheard Mum's close friend, Anita, talking about the situation with her daughter, Erica. Turns out she was diagnosed with amnesia after getting knocked down by a car and suffering a head injury. I remember seeing her around before; how she averted her gaze and behaved like she wasn't familiar with me. It all made sense now.

Aunt Kamillah's booming voice caught my attention. "Excuse me, Mister Man, when are you taking me for a spin in your new car?"

I turned to see her playful grin. Aunt Kamillah was Mum's closest friend and my Godmother; they go way back to school times, and she was just as whacky and youthful as aunt Tanisha.

"Whenever you're ready," I said.

"He was too busy giving Rebecca a ride first," Mum said with a nudge.

I tutted at the double entendre. "Mum..."

"Don't be embarrassed. She's stunning," Aunt Lauren, Dad's cousin, chimed in with a wink.

"When's the wedding?" Paula asked.

They all laughed and I shook my head, leaving the kitchen with the drinks. Eight women empowered by alcohol and a break from their husbands and kids wasn't a good mix.

I headed upstairs to my room to see Rebecca filing Christian's nails.

"Your nailbed is healthy, you just need to invest in some nail hardener," she advised, deep in concentration.

Christian frowned. "I bought one from the hair shop and it was so shit."

"The two-pound one?"

"Yeah!"

"It's the worst! Definitely try the one from Amazon, it's super cheap as well–"

I cleared my throat and they both turned to me. "Drinks."

They both thanked me and I joined them on the bed. I noticed the products splayed out on my sheets, from nail files to that weird tool they use in the shops for cuticles.

"Stop encouraging him," I said.

She laughed. "What? He asked for advice."

Chris took a huge gulp of the drink. "Don't hate just 'cause your nails are trash."

"They're not actually," Rebecca said, grabbing my hand and showing him. "See how they're neatly trimmed? His nailbed is in good condition, as well. Kayden looks after his nails, don't let him fool you."

"You'd know all about my fingers, wouldn't you?" I gave her a look and Rebecca's cheeks flushed.

"Shut up." She took a sip and cringed. "This is strong as shit."

"That's the point. Drink up." I kicked Chris in the shin. "You too."

"Ain't gotta tell me twice." Chris gulped the drink down and gave a loud belch.

Time flew by quickly. It was around 9pm when people began to leave, the parents satisfied with the alcohol and the kids high off sugar and cake. Chris had too much to drink and was currently asleep on my bed with a crooked neck. Rebecca and I spent time talking, watching shows and drinking. I was glad to spend some one-on-one time with her. Every year I would gallivant with my boys, but this was a much better way to celebrate my birthday.

She rested her head on my shoulder while I played with her fingers. "Have you had a good day?"

"I have," I said honestly.

"I'm glad. Oh, almost forgot." She bent over the edge of the bed to retrieve something from her bag, then she popped back up with a blue jewellery box in her hand. She handed it to me. I opened it to see an expensive-looking gold chain.

A smile tugged at my lips. "You didn't have to."

"Just accept it before I keep it for myself."

I laughed and carefully removed it from the box then clipped it around my neck. It was weighty and just the right length. "It's perfect." She looked proud of herself, which pleased me even more. "Thanks. I love it."

"You're welcome. Happy birthday."

I held her chin and pulled her in for a kiss. She slinked her hands up to my neck, stroking my face in admiration. I slid my tongue in her mouth and she gave a content sigh, massaging my tongue with hers. Rebecca's eagerness was turning me on quickly. I rested my hand on her breast and squeezed gently, causing her to moan.

"Not in front of Chris," she warned.

"He's sleeping." I eased my hand under her shirt and bra. She shut her eyes and sighed when I rolled her nipple between my fingers. "That feel good?"

"Mmhm." I kissed her again and sucked on her bottom lip, pulling at her hardening nipple. She whined quietly.

"I want you, Rebecca." That made her groan. I kissed her again, drowning the sound before Chris heard.

"Later," she panted when I pulled away. I continued teasing her nipple and showering kisses on her neck.

"You mean that?"

She nodded. The blush on her cheeks told me she really couldn't hold back with someone else in the room.

I moved my hand away and pecked her on the lips. "Let's go out then."

Rebecca blinked in confusion, still in her lustful trance. "What?"

"I wanna do something before the day ends. We should find a bar."

She checked the time on her phone. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, why not?" I slapped Christian hard on the leg and he jerked awake. "Get up, we're going out."

He wiped the dribble from his mouth. "I'm comfy, man." He turned on his side in an attempt to go back to sleep. I got up and grabbed his leg then yanked him off the bed. He landed on the floor with a loud thud. Rebecca started laughing.

"We're going out," I said again.

Christian kissed his teeth and sat up, rubbing his head. "Fine."

It wasn't long before we were on the road. I'd call up a few people to spend my last few hours with and only Dwane was available on such short notice. Hadn't seen him in a while—apparently, he had some family issues to sort out—but he was one of the more level-headed people I knew. He was just as disgusted as I was about the whole Dean fiasco and said he'd also break away from Kenneth and the rest.

I parked outside D's house and messaged him. He soon hopped in the back and greeted everyone.

"Nice whip," he said.

"Safe, man."

"Where to now?" Chris asked.

"Gonna see what Aaliyah's saying."

Rebecca glanced at me from the passenger seat. "You sure that's wise?"

"Why wouldn't it be?"

"She obviously has a problem with me, and I have no issue fighting tonight."

I shook my head. "Nah, you're good. Trust me."

She hummed.

I got to Aaliyah's and rang the doorbell. She answered seconds later and her eyes widened a fraction.

"What are you doing here?"

That wasn't the reaction I expected. I'd only heard from her in the afternoon when she called to say happy birthday. Usually, she would come round and spend the whole day, but it was as if she was avoiding me.

I pulled her in for a hug and kissed her forehead. "Missed you. Why didn't you come round?"

She held me around the waist and sighed. "I knew your house would be packed. I was gonna come another time." She pulled back with a smile. "I heard you got a car?"

"Yeah. I came to pick you up."

"What for?"

I shrugged. "We're gonna find a motive, drink, dance."

Aaliyah went silent for a moment, then, "Is she going too?"

Her tone irked me. "Does it matter?"

She pulled away. "Nevermind. I'm gonna pass. Not feeling well."

"You're really not coming?"

"I'm not well."

"Bullshit, Li. You're throwing our friendship away because of Rebecca? How the fuck does that make sense?"

She shook her head, almost in disbelief. "I'm not the one throwing it away."

"What are you talking about?"

"We don't even spend time together anymore. It's hard to even get in touch with you, and when I finally do get through to you, who are you with?"

That made me think. This wasn't the first time Aaliyah's voiced her concerns, and still, nothing's changed. Aaliyah still felt pushed out, and I've done nothing to change that.

I leaned against the doorframe and folded my arms. "You really think she's replacing you?"

"I know she is. You don't call, you don't text, you don't even come to see me. Do you know how shit that makes me feel? But I bet if she called, you'd go running."

Shit, she was right. "Just come Li. We can talk about this afterwards."

Her expression was unreadable, yet her eyes were sad. "Happy birthday." Then she closed the door.

I was left frozen for a solid minute. After processing what had just happened, I got back in the car.

"She not coming?" Christian asked.

I started the engine. "She's sick."

"Aw, that's convenient." I glanced at Rebecca who gave me a knowing look in return. She wasn't stupid; she knew exactly what had gone down.

Dwane cleared his throat. "So, where to, fam?"

"Not sure. Thinking to go near central, park up, and find somewhere." I pulled out from the space and began down the road. "Somewhere that'll let Rebecca in."

"Wow, thanks for exposing my age."

I smirked. "Don't worry, babe, you'll be an adult soon." She punched my thigh and I laughed.

Christian leaned forward. "There's one bar-slash-club near Kings Cross that doesn't check ID. We can go there."

I hummed in thought. "What's the music saying?"

"Hit and miss."

I shrugged. "Fuck it. Let's go." I changed gears and took off.

Scala was alive was music. I'd been to the venue before, but it was for an entirely different reason. After two shots each, we more or less dispersed. Dwane quickly found a girl to dance with on the dancefloor, and Chris had done the same.

Rebecca and I were by the bar. I stood behind her and made sure to cage her in to avoid other men trying anything.

"What drink do you fancy?" I asked her over the thumping music. 'Rude Boy' by Rihanna played and Rebecca was too busy singing along to the lyrics to answer me. "Ree?"

"Hm?"

"Drink?"

She shook her head. "I'm already tipsy, I don't need anymore."

I got the bartender's attention. "Two rum and cokes, please."

"Coming right up!" He grabbed two glasses and got to work.

Rebecca elbowed me the gut. "What did I just say?"

I laughed. "You'll be alright."

"You shouldn't even be drinking and driving."

"It's cool. Dwane can drive, if anything."

She rolled her eyes and thanked the bartender when he handed our drinks over. I paid and we stepped away from the crowded bar.

"Remember the last time we raved together?" she asked with a hint of nostalgia in her voice.

How could I forget? The night had started off good but quickly turned to shit when that prick tried to harm Rebecca. I saw red that day, and I honestly don't know what I would've done if the mandem hadn't pulled me away.

But that was all in the past now. I'd like to think I'm a much better person since then.

"I try to forget it," I muttered. I grabbed her hand and led her to a designated corner. "I remember what happened later that night, though."

Colour rose to Rebecca's cheeks as she avoided eye contact. She clearly remembers our first kiss as well.

"Let's dance," she said, taking a huge sip of her drink before placing it on the nearby table. I did the same and pulled her close. She gave me a sly grin when I held her hips and led her with the movement of my waist. Rebecca hung her arms loosely around my neck and our foreheads joined as we danced along to some slow R&B.

I ran my hands over her cushioned backside and she shot me a warning look. "It's my birthday," I reminded her.

"Like you don't do it anyway."

I laughed and placed both hands back on her hips. It wasn't long before slow jams began to play. I backed against the wall, pulling Rebecca with me. Then I spun her around and held her waist.

"Whine for me," I whispered in her ear.

She obeyed straight away, gyrating her hips and grinding against my crotch in time with the music. I met her movements, running my hands down her thighs while I pushed against her. Rebecca didn't claim to be innocent but it still shocked me how daring she was in public.

"You tryna get me hard?" I asked.

She laughed and turned to me with a sensual grin. "Is it working?"

My dick twitched at that alone.

"Wait until we get home."

Rebecca giggled and we continued to dance the night away.

Chris was completely wrecked when we got back home. The house was quiet but the lights were on—a sign that everyone was still awake.

Rebecca shrugged off her jacket and hung it on the bannister. She said her goodbyes to Chris and Dwane then shot me a look before heading upstairs. I watched her ass jiggle as she went up, thinking about how I wouldn't be able to control myself once I joined her.

"Hopped up off tha beddd, turn my swag ooon, took a look in tha mirror said wassup!" I turned and saw Chris dancing in front of the mirror wearing Mum's fur coat. I instantly regretted buying all those shots and pitchers.

"And he says he's not gay," Dwane muttered, shaking his head. "Anyway, I'm gone."

I nodded and spudded him. "Thanks for coming man. Appreciate it."

Chris stumbled over and slung his arm around my shoulder. "Oi, tonight was sick, bro. I hope you have a good day man."

I pulled back from the alcohol on his breath. "Day's over, Chris."

He checked his wrist where there was no watch. "Wait, what time is it?"

Dwane pulled Mum's coat off his shoulders. He hung it neatly on the coat hook and dragged Chris by his arm. "This guy's fucked. I'll take him home."

I laughed. "Make sure he goes in the right house this time."

They said their goodbyes and left. I headed to my room and saw Ree lying in bed wearing one of my Nike tees and nothing else. I shut the door and kicked off my trainers before joining her on the bed.

"You okay, sweet cheeks?"

She watched me for a moment and laughed. "You're drunk."

I ran my hand down her thigh, then back up, dragging the hem of the t-shirt with my finger. Rebecca was wearing the red Frenchies I liked. She was asking for trouble.

I leaned closer and kissed the crook of her neck. Rebecca stiffened when I sucked on her skin, but I caught the small sigh she released. I shifted to move between her legs and pecked her on the lips before taking a look. She stared at me with a vacant expression that I wasn't used to.

I rested my forehead against hers. "What's that face?"

She blinked. "What face?"

"Like you're trying to figure something out."

Rebecca shook her head. "That's not it."

"Then what is it?" I reached beneath the tee and cupped her bare breast, squeezing gently. Rebecca whined and shut her eyes, turning away in embarrassment. I pulled her face back to me while my other hand played with her nipple. "Tell me."

Her gaze was sensual, replacing the blank one from before. "Nothing."

"Liar." I kissed her again. Rebecca's body relaxed, her hands wrapping around my neck while her legs widened for me. I slipped my tongue in her mouth and she whined quietly, sliding her tongue along mine. It didn't take much for Rebecca to turn me on; she captivated me in a way I'd never experienced before, but I wasn't complaining. Especially on a day like today, having someone to put my all into was the perfect distraction.

She broke away from the kiss and swallowed hard. "Wait."

I paused to look at her. That odd expression was back. "What's wrong?"

She shook her head. "I'm trying not to let it bother me, but it is."

"What?"

"You and Olivia."

I quirked a brow. "Who?"

"You definitely know her. Or have you fucked more than one Olivia?"

I pulled back completely now. "What's this attitude about?"

Rebecca sat up, looking a bit agitated. "I don't want to do this on your birthday, but I can't stop thinking about it."

"You're not making sense, Ree."

"Did you fuck Olivia, yes or no?"

I didn't have time to think about how Rebecca would know her, or why it was even important. Instead, I had to be honest and try to come to the bottom of her sudden anger. I shrugged. "Yeah."

"When?"

"Years ago. Why does it matter?"

Rebecca looked to the ceiling and sighed. "It doesn't, but it's pissing me off." She flopped back on the bed. "Sorry. You haven't done anything wrong, but she's a shit person and I wish you never went there."

I hovered over her. "Wish I could turn back time, but I can't."

"I know. Did you ever get tested, at least?"

"Yeah. I'm always careful."

She seemed relieved at that. "Thank God."

"I don't know what beef you two have but you're all that matters. I couldn't give a shit about her."

Rebecca smiled. "Good."

I nuzzled her nose with mine, causing her to giggle. I decided to put the conversation behind me. Olivia was the past but Rebecca was the future, and I made sure she always knew that.

"You staying the night?"

She nodded. "It's a bit late to go home now. I just need a change of clothes."

"Who says you'll be wearing anything tonight?"

She playfully slapped my arm. "You're so horny."

I bent down to kiss her lips. "Mm. Can I have another present?"

Rebecca cocked her head in confusion. "What?"

I moved down to her neck. "I want another present from you."

"Wasn't the chain enough?"

"More than. But I want your body." I pinched her side and she yelped in laughter. Then I sucked on her neck, biting her skin gently. She held onto me and moaned as I caressed her.

"I can't," she muttered.

"You can." I watched her closely. "We've been over this. You want the same thing I do, but you have too much pride."

"Who doesn't?"

"Fair. But you're proper stubborn with it."

She laughed. "Whatever."

I ran my hand down her lithe body. "You had no problem pushing up on me in the bar."

"That's called dancing, mate."

"Let's dance then." I kissed her before she could respond and began moving my hips the same way I had done earlier. Rebecca gave a soft whine and responded, her hips gyrating to match mine as we sank into a deep kiss. Our tongues caressed one another's, and our breathing grew heavy. Her movements were driving me insane. If she allowed me, I'd pull her Frenchies aside and do this for real.

But I had to be patient.

I sucked on her bottom lip and Rebecca groaned. "Should we try this with our clothes off?"

She shook her head.

"What's the difference? We're just dancing." To emphasise my point, I ground harder against her, making her feel my piece.

Rebecca sighed and bit her lip. "I'm not having sex with you."

"Why are you such a tease?" I whispered, shifting to her neck and grazing my teeth against her skin before biting gently. Rebecca pulled me closer and released a harsh breath. "The way you were whining today I would've taken you against the wall."

"Why didn't you?"

I raised a brow at the cheeky glint her eye. "Are you fucking with me?"

Rebecca smiled. "Who knows?" I pinched her ribs again and she laughed. "Stop!"

"So, you would've let me?" My hand skimmed her body and she stiffened when I reached between her legs. "What about now?" My fingers skimmed her inner thigh and Rebecca visibly gulped. Then my fingers brushed her slit beneath the flimsy material of her underwear. "Can I have this?"

She shut her eyes. Rebecca's expression was striking; the crinkle in her brows and the way she bit her lip were small indications of suppressed desire, and it turned me on even more. "I'm not saying you can't have it..."

"Then what are you saying?" I slid my fingers past the fabric to stroke her delicate sweetness. She was soaking already. "I can have this?" I asked again. Rebecca fell silent. I applied pressure to her clit with my thumb and her body shuddered. "Answer me," I whispered.

The sound of Dad's booming voice stopped us in our tracks. "Kayden! Come here a minute!"

Rebecca and I watched each other for a few seconds before I pulled away. Rebecca reached for her trousers while I looked to the ceiling and sighed in defeat.

Worst cockblock of the century.

We headed downstairs—Rebecca's face flushed and my jeans uncomfortably tight—and into the kitchen where Mum and Dad were sat at the table.

Their eyes fell on Rebecca. Mum smiled. "You staying, darling?"

She nodded. "If that's okay."

Dad nodded. "Of course. It's late anyway." Then he looked at me. "How was your day, son?"

"Really good. Did you need me?" I asked. It needed to be damn good to interrupt my near breakthrough with Rebecca.

They both exchanged a look before Mum faced me again with worried eyes. "Did you hear from your uncle today?"

"Uncle Trey? No, why?"

Dad raised a brow. "Not even to wish you a happy birthday?"

I shook my head. They watched each other again. "What's going on?"

Mum waved her hand dismissively. "Nothing. Just wanted to check. He's probably busy–"

As if on cue, Mum's phone vibrated loudly on the table. We all watched as she hesitantly picked up the phone and brought it to her ear.

"Hello?"

I analysed the grimace on her face as she greeted uncle Trey. The conversation was monosyllabic as Mum's voice lowered.

My chest tightened as an odd feeling washed over me. Rebecca sensed it and held my hand in support.

"What do you mean?"

Uncle Trey's voice was deep on the other end, I couldn't make the words out.

Mum froze. "What?"

Silence. Then Mum gasped.

"No ... no!"

She dropped the phone and immediately broke into tears.

I stiffened while Dad pulled her into a hug.

"What is it? What's wrong?" he asked, holding onto her as she writhed in panic and distress.

Ree turned to me worriedly, her gaze questioning. But I already knew. I could tell from the beginning. All of the small things didn't matter anymore. Each emotion and sensation I felt began to snowball and I quickly saw red.

Mum's sobs rang through the room as Dad tried his best to console her.

"What happened?" he asked.

"She's dead! Tanisha's dead, Marcus!" She broke down fully now, her erratic cries growing louder as she clung to his t-shirt in desperation.

My heart pounded in my chest. Rebecca squeezed my hand.

"Kayden..."

Heat rose in the room. My head throbbed in time with my heartbeat. I clenched my fists and gritted my teeth. I could feel myself losing control, but I couldn't do anything to stop it.

Mum slid to the floor and Dad held her, rocking her gently as she wept. He told her it would be okay. But it wouldn't. This was it.

She's gone.

I swung and punched the closest thing to me, leaving a dent in the plaster of the wall. Rebecca flinched at the impact and shifted back. I didn't want anybody near me, so I left the kitchen. Then I left the house. My feet led me in an unknown direction. I had no clue where I was headed, I just wanted to get away. Away from the pain, away from Mum's cries. Away from everything.

I paced the pavement and kicked down a bin that was in my path. I wanted to kill someone. I wanted to distract myself from the tsunami of emotions that thrashed inside me. But it was hard to focus on anything when the raw image of my frail aunty lying on her death bed was fresh in my mind.

"Life is short and it'll hit you when you least expect it. So, promise me you'll celebrate as much as you can..."

It was her last piece of advice to me and I wished I'd ignored it. Because I'd do anything to see her right now instead of celebrating my birthday. This shit fucking hurt.

I needed to wreck something...

My legs gave way and I fell to my knees, my turbulent thoughts too draining. It started to rain, and my cheeks became wet.

"Kayden!" I heard Rebecca's voice in the distance and she soon caught up to me. She fell beside me and gripped me tightly, her body shaking with sobs. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

I remained frozen. Her warmth grounded me a little bit, but it still wasn't enough.

After a while, I hugged her back. Only then did I realise that it wasn't raining...

I was just crying.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 117 24
Cataleya is a traumatized 19 year old after her last relationship ended with her in tears and covered in blood. Everything at this point pointless. A...
1.7K 15 36
Elizabeth is determined to shape her life. She's strong and determined woman. She can conquer everything........but can she conquer love?
681 4 19
Besides the love they have for each other, Two individuals are more connected than they could even imagine. Pride, lies, tragedy, and betrayal can ei...