Relentless

By TheMeganVictoria

Book 2 in The O'Connor Chronicles The cover of darkness lingered about, fraternizing with the subtle breeze... More

Copyright
1- Saige
2- Jackson
3- Ky
4- Saige
5- Jackson
6- Saige
7- Sarah
9- Saige
10- Ky
11- Saige
12- Phoenix
13- Saige
14- Darren
15- Justin
16- Saige
17- Ky
18- Saige
19- Lacey
20- Unknown
21- Ky
22- Saige
23- Ky
24- Saige
25- Ky
26- Saige
27- Ky
28- Saige
29- Ben
30- Saige
31- Saige
Announcement!!

8- Ky

927 73 28
By TheMeganVictoria

        "I'm going to assume you knew of the huge risk you took by taking Saige out of town the other day," my father recited calmly.

            Jackson stood tall, face revealing nothing, "Yes, Sir."

            Dad crossed his arms over his chest and sighed, "I understand about giving her a break considering what happened with Kelly, but why outside of town?"

            He shifted his weight slightly before answering, "I've never seen her so angry before. She was so caught up in it that she fought me, but she wasn't fighting me specifically."

Nodding in understanding Dad replied, "You think she was fighting whoever took advantage of her."

"I've had my suspicions from the beginning, if you recall the day Saige ran off into the woods to bring the little boy David back? She was distracted during her training that morning, as if she wasn't seeing me. I just wanted her to have a normal moment."

"So you're saying," I chimed in. "That she's preparing to face The Unseen?" He nodded. I furrowed my eyebrows, "Then, she's expecting to see them again." This realization casted long shadows of sorrow over my thoughts; did she not trust us to protect her? Or was she just so afraid she's taking precautions? Or does she want...revenge? I shook my head and tossed the notion, though it still lingered in the back corner.

"Where are we on the traitor?" Dad sunk low into the couch and rubbed a hand down his face.

"Still a ghost," Jackson followed his movements.

"This needs to end," I paced in front of them.

"I'm open to ideas," Dad gestured.

"Every plan I can come up with involves Saige, and I want to keep her as far away as possible." I stalked away to the kitchen grabbing a couple Arizona tea's out of our fridge and pitched one to each of them.

Dad popped open the can and took a sip, "Ky, no one wants her near this, but, and as much as I don't like it, we do have to consider all our options."

My head snapped to his so fast I thought I got whiplash, "You do not really want to use her as bait?" His silence was his answer. "Dad!"

"I don't know how else to draw the culprit out. They are most likely relaying every little thing to The Unseen," he put his Arizona can on the table and rested his elbows on his knees. "This is not just about Saige anymore; I have to take a town of seven thousand people into account as well. We have to think about their safety too, Ky."

I sighed sinking into an arm chair knowing he's right, "So, what do we do? Throw Saige into infested waters alone?"

"Don't say it like that," Jackson snapped. "It's nothing of the sort."

"Then please enlighten me, because that's how it's coming across."

"You really think I would allow that to happen?" My wise father asked me keeping strangely calm, an unknown emotion flashing through his eyes.

"I know you wouldn't," I took another swig from the can and set it down gathering my thoughts. "But we can't guarantee Saige's safety, and I do not want her to take such a big risk."

"We would be right by her side," Jackson pipes in. "We'll make sure-,"

"I can't believe you, of all people, are for this," I cut him off.

"What do you mean?"

I couldn't hold back my scoff.

He ran a hand through his dark hair, "Of course I'm not okay with it, but nothing happened when we-,"

"That doesn't mean it won't!"

"I would never let anything happen to her."

"You are asking her to do the unthinkable, to willingly set herself up to be taken."

He sighed loudly, "Believe it or not Ky, this kills me as much as you. But she can handle it; and she doesn't realize it, but she could be the key to taking The Unseen down for good."

I narrowed my eyes snatching my tea taking a gulp unable to deny his statement.

"Boys, nothing is set in stone," Dad cuts in. "This is all hypothetical."

"I will not sit back and let her make possibly the worst mistake of her life."

"And if she agrees to it?" Jackson asks ever so cleverly. "What will you do then?"

I bored my eyes into his, I knew what I would do, even if I hated every second, "I would stand beside her."

Silence passed for a moment before Dad broke it, "You're training with her today, right?" Jackson nodded. "I want to be there to see her progress." He turned his gaze to me, "You're coming too."

I raised my eyebrows, "So, you're considering it after all?"

Jackson frowned, his gaze shifting between us, "Considering what?"

"Let's see if Saige can land herself a ring."

"Really?" Jackson lit up, "You think she's ready?"

"Let's just see how she does today," he mused thoughtfully.

Jackson left a bit later, I decided to gather my stuff for the gym. A knock on my door caught my attention, "Ky?"

"Yeah, Dad?"

He opened the door and leaned against the frame, "What are you feeling?"

"What do you mean?" I shoved a towel in my duffel bag.

"You obviously care about, Saige."

"Obviously," I responded automatically.

"Son, you have to let her make her own choices."

"I have, I am; doesn't mean I'm going to like it."

He sighed, "I know, but-,"

"I don't need a lecture," I pushed a Gatorade on top and roughly zipped it slinging it over my shoulder pushing past him.

"I thought I could keep your mother out of danger." I stopped. "Someone was after her."

"I know the story," I said turning to him.

He shook his head, "Not all of it." He stalked back into the living room and I followed curiously. "Your mother came from a very wealthy and dignified family; they were so rich she would never have to work a day in her life."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "What?"

He chuckled humorously, "That fact alone made it difficult to even get close to her."

"I don't understand what you're getting at."

"Before we made a life here, I was a private investigator; and before that I served in the Navy." I set my bag down by my feet giving him my full attention. "I barely made enough to be considered middle class, so she turned my advances down, a lot." The smile he wore faltered, "One day I was visiting a buddy of mine at the police station to get some information on a client."

"Your friend was a police officer?"

He nodded. "I was complaining about getting deadbeat cases and wanted something more," he fished for the right word, "Exciting."

"That sounds like you," I teased.

"Well, not even ten minutes after those words left my mouth Sarah comes crashing in covered in cuts and bruises, yelling hysterically about needing help. She had escaped an attempted kidnapping; apparently they wanted to hold her hostage in exchange for millions. I obviously volunteered to help."

"Obviously," I smirked.

"So, I got what I wanted and spent most of my time with her; only to find out that I couldn't stand her bratty attitude. And she absolutely hated me."

I burst into laughter, "That's hilarious!"

He laughed lightly, "Be careful what you wish for. Anyway, after a second attempted kidnapping, her father insisted that I be the one to protect her since his men were compromised. So we went on the run together."

"And thus started a chain reaction to your love story," I concluded.

"Yes," he sighed solemnly. "But I almost lost her, and it would have been my fault."

"Why are you telling me this?"

He met my gaze with an intense heaviness, as if he was trying to keep the weight of the world off my shoulders, "I wanted what you do, I wanted to keep her as far away as possible; I thought I was protecting her." He leaned forward resting his folded hands against his lips, "That's precisely when Walker struck."

The infamous Evan Walker; a man madly consumed by greed. His thirst for fortune drove his actions, destroying anyone and everything in his path, and caused my parents so much pain. He's the reason this town even exists; so others wouldn't have to live constantly looking over their shoulders. My dad can't take away people's suffering, but he could lessen it and give them a peaceful state of mind for a least a moment. Mom and Dad's love for people made it possible.

"So you care for Saige, but how deep do your feelings run?"

I stared at him for a moment contemplating carefully, "Well I like her, a lot."

He grinned, "Obviously."

"Is this going to be a thing now?"

"Just don't make the same mistake I did by pushing her away," he continued, ignoring my previous question. "Keep her close, keep her safe. Let her make her own choices, and be there if and when those choices fall short." His words rolled off his tongue naturally, a conviction dead set in his brown eyes reliving the faults of his past determined to not let it repeat itself. "You're falling behind."

I tilted my head in confusion.

He lowered his hands from his face, a glint in his eyes I haven't seen in years; a flash of his former self before Mom disappeared, "If you want to get the girl, step up your game." He stood up abruptly taking in my shocked expression, "Jackson's a good man, any woman who ends up with him will lucky to have him. But I'm personally rooting for you," he sent me a wink before vacating to his room.

I let out a breathy laugh and ran a hand through my longer curls. My eyes landed the family picture above the fireplace, a twinge of guilt shot through me remembering Saige's hurt expression when I snapped at her for saying she knew Mom. My thoughts shifted to when she came home practically glowing with joy after she spent the day with Jackson, the guilt twisted like a sharp knife deep in my chest. Dad's right, I slipped up. I snatched my bag and marched to my truck with a new revelation; it won't happen again.

***

            Richard threw a punch towards Justin's face, to which he dodged and countered with a kick. Richard blocked and dove to the side sweeping his foot out to trip Justin, but he jumped over it and settled back into a fighting stance cocking a smirk, "Getting tired, Rich?"

            He got to his feet, "You wish." He wiped his forehead with the back of his arm brushing his ash brown hair to the side.

            "You're looking scraggily, when is your girlfriend going to trim your beard? Oh wait..."

            I shook my head; leave it to Justin to antagonize his opponent.

            "Coming from the one who took forever to ask your girl out."

            I stalked away from the ring as their bickering/training continued and trailed up stairs to the loft. I spotted my dad standing in the corner silently observing, then my eyes landed on Saige. She stood tall, focused and poised to throw a knife at the target with Jackson not far behind her. "Remember it's not about strength, it's all about finesse. Use your wrist and keep your arm straight, just like the beanbag toss," he added with a smile.

            Saige paused from her aiming, a little baffled, "This is different from that."

            His smile morphed into a mischievous grin taking a few steps closing the distance between them, he gently took hold of her wrist and lowered his voice so much I strained to hear, "Is it different though?" Her cheeks tinged pink.

            I glared at him, fists clenched. It took all my willpower to stay put and not do something stupid. Movement caught my eye, "PDA!" Jackson jumped back and turned to a smirking Lacey; I didn't even try to hold back a smirk of my own when she winked at me.

            "Is Justin rubbing off on everyone?" Jackson sighed exasperated, oblivious to my presence.

            "You're supposed to be training," she countered crossing her arms and arching a brow.

            "Um," Saige shifted her weight as their gazes fell on her. "What's uh, PDA?"

            Lacey shook her head at Jackson who had opened his mouth then closed it when nothing came out, "Unbelievable."

            A loud shout came from the bottom floor, Lacey immediately ran to the railing with Jackson on her heels. Things must be getting heated with Richard and Justin, but my feet stayed glued to the spot. Saige stared at the knife in her hand twirling it a bit before facing the target; she pulled back her hand and threw it perfectly sinking dead center. She smiled widely before doing a little jump of excitement and pumping her fist. I beamed chuckling, I loved seeing her smile. My chuckle caught her attention as her green eyes snapped to mine; she smiled sheepishly, "Hey, Ky."

            "Hi, that was a nice shot. You've been working hard."

            "Yeah, thanks." She glanced behind her, eyes calculating, "Um, can you help me with something?"

            I cocked my head, "Of course."

            She waved for me to follow her and I obliged pacing towards the back of the loft. "So, I've been wanting to try this for so long," she stopped in front another row of targets. "Can you teach me?"

            My eyes roamed to the racks along the wall briefly taking in the bows and arrows, "Jackson hasn't let you shoot one yet?"

            Her gaze flittered away, "Justin and Lacey had to push him to let me try knife throwing. He hasn't budged about this yet," she eyed me warily, assuming I would have the same answer.

            I was a little surprised considering he wanted her to have a ring before me; did I influence him? I regarded her pleading eyes and didn't have to think at all, "Let's find a bow that fits you." The corners of her mouth turned upwards but I lightly grabbed her arm stopping her from moving, a question tugging at the back of my mind, "What exactly has Jackson been teaching you?"

            "Mostly combat and strength training, I've only been throwing knives for about a week."

            "Has he taught you how to shoot a gun?"

            She shook her head, "No, he said my health came first." The excuse made sense, but I was still confused on why he was holding back. Everyone who has a ring needs to know how to operate a gun. "Why?"

            "Just curious," I let go realizing I still had a hold of her arm.

She studied me, sadness brewing, "You look like your mom." She paled, eyes bulging as if it was a crime to mention it. After the way I acted, I didn't blame her.

I decided to roll with it despite the ache in my chest, "What was she like?"

There she goes again, refusing to meet my gaze, "Um, Ky..."

"I want to know."

"I don't think that's a good idea," she uttered the words softly, but there was a darkness behind them. "It would only hurt you."

"Please." She stared off over my shoulder weighing the pros and cons, finally shaking her head. "Saige, you're the last connection I have to her,' I tried to explain so she'd understand. "I need to know."

She sighed deeply, "I don't want to make you sad."

I smiled a little, in her own way she was trying to protect me, but my curiosity won out. I gently tilted her chin to make her hold my gaze, "Please."

Her eyes fluttered closed in defeat, "She was tough, always thinking about others before herself. All the guards thought she would give up and accept the fact she's never going to see her family again, but she hung on to the hope that her husband would come and save her; even if it meant endearing-," she swallowed, opening her eyes to see my reaction.

I kept my face even, brushing my thumb across her cheekbone, "Endearing what?"

"Being with a different man every night."

My breath hitched, though I did my best not to show it and prodded further, "Is that what happened to you?"

Raw emotion clouded her eyes as they filled with tears, but she pushed them back until they disappeared completely, "At first." I held my breath anticipating her next words, nodding encouragingly. "Until...he came along," she practically spat, her mood darkened considerably. "He made me believe I was going to be free, that he would keep me safe; and I sunk right into his hands."

I remained quiet afraid to break her trance she seemed to be in as pieces of her puzzle fell into place, no wonder she didn't trust me in the beginning. "But you were different," she continued as if she read my mind. "There was just this...light about you; the complete opposite of him, the opposite of everything I've ever known. It reminded me of your-," she trailed off shaking her head, scolding herself. "I've been so stupid to not realize it sooner, and for that alone I don't think I can ever forgive myself."

"You're not stupid, Saige. It's not your fault."

"You don't understand," she responded curtly.

I kept my voice gentle knowing she responds well than when she's spoken to in sharp or harsh tones, "Then make me understand."

"I've...done bad things. Sarah didn't deserve to stay there and suffer, it should have been me. I should be in her place, not the other way around!"

I was taken aback, "Don't think like that."

She shook her head more frantic, "It's the truth. I should have died."

Her words pierced me deeper than any knife ever could. And yet, a flame quickly rose from the pit of my stomach; crackling, smoldering until it danced on the tip of my tongue and I fought to keep it at bay. I gripped her shoulders to show her I meant business, but not enough hurt her, and spoke with a lowly sorrow, "When will you realize how much of a jewel you are?"

Her brows creased in confusion, "Ky-,"

"No, let me finish." She pressed her lips in a tight line allowing me to continue. "I realize you've been told differently, probably a lot longer than I like to think about. But can't you at least start to see how much you are loved? How much we care about you?" I scoffed, my emotions getting the best of me, "Can't you see how much I care about you?"

Her demeanor softened soaking in my words like a sponge. "You're not a waste of space; you're here for a reason. Maybe you don't know what that reason is yet, that's okay; you'll figure it out in time. And when you do you'll understand why. You are worth so much more than you believe, more than gold or riches; more than the moon and the stars."

I wiped a silent tear that descended down her cheek stepping closer, enunciating every word so she could grasp the importance of what I was trying to convey, "Saige, you're breathtaking; absolutely stunning. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

The flow of tears only grew, "Ky." She squeezed her eyes shut in attempt to stop them, "You wouldn't say these things of you knew. If you've known what I've done." I wrapped my arms around her pulling her into me; she rested her forehead against my chest and whispered, "I left her."

"Saige-,"

"She was supposed to be with me, Ky."

"What?" I pulled back to look at her, genuinely confused, "What are you talking about?"

She opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off by a booming voice downstairs I knew all too well, "Everyone gather round! Let's go! Huddle up! Faster, Steel!"

Saige urgently swabbed under her eyes regaining her composure as if she wasn't just about to reveal one of many secrets, "What does Monroe want?"

I sighed deciding to table this conversation for later and turned to the railing irritated at his bad timing, "Guess we're about to find out."

"The time has come for the Trial!" People whooped and hollered throughout the cabin.

"Huh? What's Trial?"

I didn't answer right away, I caught Dad's eye in the dark corner; only a few feet away from where we were standing. Had he been there the whole time? "It's a period of time in which one is observed and tested to see if they are ready for a ring." Her eyebrows scrunched together in thought.

"The names I announce, if they be willing, will have the opportunity to complete the Trial and earn their place on the force," Monroe continued.

"Did you have to do this?"

I nodded, "Sure did, no special treatment for me."

Monroe rattled off a few names I recognized.

"There are a lot of people in here," Saige murmured. "A lot more than usual."

"This is a big deal for us; people want to know who's protecting them."

"Phoenix Jenson!" The crowd erupted in applause as Phoenix ran to meet Monroe in front of the ring agreeing right away.

I smiled, "Good for her, she's been wanting this for ages."

"What exactly do they test you on?"

"A variety of skills such as fighting, strength, agility; everyone has to master them. No point in protecting someone else if you can't protect yourself."

"That makes sense."

I looked over at her, "But the biggest and most important test of all is at the end of Trial."

"And that would be?"

"Saige O'Connor!"

She stood shell shocked as she glanced at me to check if she heard right. I gave her a smile and nodded in approval. The crowd clapped encouragingly as her eyes darted around and landed on Jackson who grinned. She shook her head as if to clear her thoughts, and marched confidently down the stairs and stood tall in front of Monroe.

I briefly ensnared Jackson in my line of vision studying his reaction as Saige shook Monroe's hand; he clapped, yelling her name seeming proud. "The most important test," I said aloud as my eyes drifted back to her beaming form like a moth to the flame. "To see where your heart lies."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

474K 18.1K 53
Daniela O'Brien. Dani is the girl you would say has absolutely no luck going for her at all. Two dead parents, an estranged sister and an abusive, c...
42K 1.5K 29
{Book 2 in the Vampire series} Emma is now gone but is she really gone forever? The last thing Emma remember was that she was dying, going away fore...
1.2K 10 29
{Second Book} Her life is forever changed upon meeting him, he could say the same thing. Believing to never meet each other again, she swears to forg...
112K 2.4K 24
He loved me, He loved me not He loved me, but not, in the way I needed him to say. "When you lose someone who use to be your everything it's like...