CHAMPION | NCT

By luminous_zen

Book Two of Neo City Trilogy HIGHEST RANKINGS #1 in DYSTOPIA #1 in NCT #2 in AU #29 in ACTION Little Red Ridi... More

CHAMPION
wanted no. xxx
ooo - prologue + playlist
oo1
oo2
oo3
oo4
oo5
oo7
oo8
oo9
o10
o11
o12
o13
o14
o15
o16
o17
o18
o19
o20
o21
o22
o23
o24
o25
o26
o27
o28
o29
o30
o31
o32
o33
o34
o35
o36
o37
o38
o39
o40
o41
o42
o43
o44
o45
o46
o47
o48
o49
o50
o51
o52
o53
o54
o55
o56
o57
o58
o59
o60
o61
o62
o63

oo6

7.6K 830 660
By luminous_zen

A/n: Numerous updates this weekend! 😃

C H A P T E R
S I X

The increasing frenzy of the snow storm made the windows threatening to bang open and the lights inside the house flickering on and off.

I dragged Jeno towards a vacant space in the hallway, ordering the cyborg servant that was polishing the vases to leave.

When we were finally alone, his dark eyes darted away from mine and stared at the floor with his lower lip bitten by his teeth.

"Jeno," I said, "how long were you listening to my conversation with Yuta?"

"I've heard about the competition," he bit his lower lip harder I'm afraid it might leave a bruise, "and the bosses. And about the-" his brows furrowed, "the president's son."

"You should stay away from this. Understood?"

"No, Sooji," his breathing keeps getting more erratic, "I will not stop until we find Jaemin!"

"I understand that he's special to you," I breathed, "but now is not the right time. You won't stand a chance if you'll go for him now. Believe me, Jeno, you're only gonna harm yourself."

"No!" his voice increased unexpectedly, "I don't know what you know about us. Or what my sister told you about us! But we're not children anymore! So stop telling me what to do--"

"I defended you from Yuta!" I said, "You need me."

He looked taken aback when I said that but it didn't stop him from yelling back.

"Why do you care about us so much?"

My heart paused the same time as my brain did.

"Because we have the same goal," I managed to say, "we fight for the same thing, Jeno. We are a team. So please, I beg you, listen to what I say,"  my voice softened, "Let me protect you."

Those words suddenly escaped ny mouth like it was what I was oathed to do since I was born. To protect people. To risk my life for others.

"Is that what you said to everyone around you? To Jeena?" he snapped, "were you able to keep your words?"

"That's not what it is about! I am trying to help."

"Well, you aren't. You're nothing like what Boss said. He said you're understanding and unselfish and... And..."

My eyes widened when the word "Boss" was mentioned.

"What did you say?"

Jeno's eyes flickered. "N-Nothing," he stuttered, "thank you for the meal and-" he paused, "and happy birthday. Renjun and I are about to leave-"

He moved one step backward but I refrained him from going any further.

"You said boss," I sighed deeply, "who were you talking about?"

He hastily waved his head. "It's not of your concern."

"It is," I tried my voice to be as soft as possible to ease him. "J-Jeno, my brother's a boss too. And wherever they are- him or the others- I need to know."

"Which side are you really on? Him?" he cocked his head over the direction where Yuta was. "Or us? Are you sure you're not acquaintances with the president? Are you sure you're not hiding Jaemin away from us?"

"Jeno, believe me. I am on your side. I know we just met but I will do anything to protect you and save your brother," my eyes shakingly found his, "tell me how to gain your trust," I added, voice hard and serious.

His Adam's apple bobbed, while I watch leak of sweat trailing down his neck.

"Okay?" I gulped, watching him like how I watched Sicheng whenever he's in doubt or danger. My voice rarely sounded like it's pleading, but this situation made it inevitable. I am begging. Begging for someone to believe me. Begging for their trust and friendship.

Like a starlight, Jeno's eyes shone whenever the hallway kept getting dimmer because of the impact of the storm.

"Do you want to see him?" he asked, his high voice shifting into a soft one.

"Who?"

"Boss."

My jaw tensed. "Will you let me?"

"If I find out you're tricking me even just once," he said, "then I will never trust you again."

"You have my word," I answered.

Jeno looked around the space, eyes darting from here to there.

"What's the matter?" I asked him.

"Cyborgs," he replied, "they scare me."

An instant chuckle escaped my lips. "See? You would freak to death if I didn't order that cyborg to let go of you."

Jeno's cheeks earned a pinkish blush, his pretty eyes blinking in realization. "F-fine," then he pulled out a cubic device from his pocket.

My eyes widened.

"How long were you keeping that? It's only intended for Neons."

"Well, Boss is a Neon. I just borrowed this."

"Borrowers," I smiled. "I borrow a lot too. From Sicheng."

Our eyes met.

"I am just like you," I added. "We're in the same boat."

He merely nodded before he turned on the device. Then he moved his mouth near its speakers and murmured, "Reach and contact: NEON-DRM. Lee Jeno reaching. I repeat, Lee Jeno reaching. Boss, are you there?"

The device produced a cable-like sound with no signal. Crunching noises resonated from its speakers, while white light displayed on the screen.

"Boss, are you there?" he repeated.

A few seconds later, a green arc appeared on the screen. Series of dots started loading as well, coloring the used-to-be white screen into enthusiastic and technological evergreen.

R E A C H I N G

. . . . .

"Your boss doesn't want to answer you," I teased.

Jeno gave me a subtle glance before looking back at the screen again.

After what seemed to be a minute, the device emitted a clicking sound of a machine.

R E A C H E D

loading camera

. . . . . . .

"Yes!" Jeno expressed in triumph.

I wanted to cheer alongside him as well, but I didn't even know who his Boss was. Instead, I will myself not to blink as I stared at the screen.

Once the site was settled and the devices started connecting with one another, the camera appeared and showed the face of a boy.

Disappointment half-filled my heart. It's not Sicheng.

This boy in the screen had red-brownish hair, complimenting his tan skin and thin, smoky eyes. I can tell that he's looking at me. He wore a serious yet calm face, with his hands clasped in front of him in an orderly manner.

He wasn't anyone from the seven bosses that I knew of.

"Hello, hello, hello," his voice sounded sleepy, as if he's saving a yawn from his mouth. "Has anyone ever told you that I rarely accept calls in this late at night?"

Without even realizing, I waved my head in reply.

He scoffed. Or, wait, was it a snort?

"What does thy people want for summoning my highly presence?" he lifted a brow. Although he wanted to sound intimidating, I can't help but to notice the eyebags underneath his lethargic eyes.

Before I could even talk, Jeno was already yelling at him.

"Get out of there, you moron. Stop acting high and mighty," Jeno sighed. "Give that phone to Boss."

"You are speaking to him right now," was the other's answer.

"Yeah right, Donghyuck," Jeno replied with a sarcastic tone. "Move your ass and let me talk with Boss."

"Fine, fine," this Donghyuck rolled his eyes skyward, his hands finding its was on the nape of his neck. "You are indeed no-fun, Jeno."

"In such a situation like this, I am not looking for deadass funs."

A while later, I can hear and other voice from the video call.

"Who is it?"

"Jeno," Donghyuck replied, facing behind, "and a girl."

For about three seconds, the newcomer peeked at the camera.

I can see who he is now.

Mark Lee.

He looked shocked, then pleased, then shocked again.

"S-Sooji..." he stuttered, whisper-yelling at Donghyuck to move out from the camera's angle. With a groan, Donghyuck moved aside for him. However, the camera can still capture half of his face.

"Mark," I gulped, "you are there."

"I am," he nodded. "I've been here ever since their sister passed away. I promised her I would look for them."

"Sicheng?" I asked and hoped that my brother's with him too.

Mark waved his head. "He's not with us. He's with Taeyong and the others."

"Where are they?"

"Somewhere in the Capital, in the shadows, or in the fortress," he replied, licking his lips in anxiety.  "I don't really know, Sooji. I can barely contact them."

"How about you? Where you right now?"

"I'm in the outskirts. You know that the Chipless are wanted persons now, I suppose. So we hide."

"Where?"

"We built a secret base. A hide-out."

"The Capital will crown the new Champion tomorrow. Yuta told me the bosses are going to attend in secret."

"Yuta," Mark said. "You mean the Yuta."

"Yes," I nodded.

"Why are you siding with him?"

"He'll help us look for the cure."

"The government already knows the goddamnit cure for the goddamnit VS. Why do we need to work with Yuta?"

"No! The government is manifesting the public. There is no cure, Mark. There isn't. We need to find it ourselves. So we need Yuta's help."

"And?"

"I need to be the Champion," my voice quivered. "I really do, Mark. I need to protect the people around me. I need to go back to my family and make sure they're safe from the virus," my heart steeled before I added, "I need to find the cure, even if it kills me."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 10 23
A story where a girl wakes up one day discovering she has powers, and a group of boys takes her under their wing to make sure she stays safe. But is...
6.9K 160 16
Started~ Nov 12 2021 Finished~ Dystopia: an imagined state or society in which there is great suffering or injustice, typically one that is totalita...
41.9K 2.2K 35
NCT's Shotaro x Sungchan (English) Complete ~~~~ He stared at the other boy's brown, wide, deer-like eyes, which seemed familiar... as if he'd see...
95.4K 5.2K 82
Book #3 in The Fire series BLAKE RIVERA "You're the leader of a gang." Aiden yells. I look up at him. "You don't think I know that?" I yel...