o16

Hendery's voice felt like a lightning bolt

My stomach plummeted with the remnants of the party, of the spirits lurking the district, of a stranger we invited in seek of shelter and . . .  light.

"You look like a mess, Dong," his silvery gun was glimmering - a perfect weapon to end someone's life. My life.

"And you look rotten, Hendery," I shot him a dirty look.

He looked unamused. "Funny hearing that from you," he stepped forward and tilted his head. "You're already rotten a long time ago. Do you-" his eyes flickered. "Do you even remember who you were, Dong? Who you left? Who you betrayed? Do you remember me...?"

I released a breath I didn't realize I've been holding.

"You're a talented actor," I glared. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Interesting," he cooed. "You really forgot. I couldn't--" he blinked. "I didn't want to believe it, you know? I didn't want to believe what Xiao Jun said when he told me that you've turned to a completely different person."

I frowned. "What?"

Hendery looked hurt and disappointed at the same time. "And this morbid city turned you to a fool."

"Hendery," I breathed deeply. "You're mistaking me as a different person..."

"You're right," he interrupted sharply. "You're not Sooji. You're not her," he waved his head. "You're just the person who betrayed her hometown, who let her city get crushed by your new 'friends'," he released a scoff. "Why are you so damn attached to the Bosses, Dong? Th-those insolent humans-"

"They are not bad persons!" I yelled.

"They are wanted, Dong! They are fugitives and yet you're running away with them!" he paused, as if he realized something crucial. "And you're not even a Neon holder," he eyed my disaster of a gown, like it straight up disgusts him. "Oh, I know now. Is that what is it about? Why you left the town and leave Uncle alone? J-Just because of those boys? Is this your dream? To live with rich boys and marry one of them so you can upgrade your chip?!"

"Shut up!" I balled my fists. "That's not true!"

"What else could I think of, Dong?" he growled. "You barely remember anything from your childhood. Hell! I bet you don't even know what my real name is!" He looked at me and I saw misery. "You could forget about me, Dong, but I would never forget everything you caused."

I was unable to form any words. Paralyzed. Speechless. Confused.

Hendery kept cornering me like an animal, his eyes heavy with the weight of hatred and anger.

"What do you want with me?" I glared, clutching the medal tight in my hands as if it's my own heart.

Hendery kept moving forward, while I kept backing away.