One Lifetime Is Never Enough

By runexi

She thought she was going to die. She did. But the next time she opened her eyes , she found out that she wa... More

1.1 The End of Her Road
1.2 A Different Time
1.3 Uncertainties and Power
1.4 Flower
1.5 Ji House
1.6 Festival
1.7 Young Master Ji SongLi
1.8 Zhen BuFeng
1.9 Orchid and Magnolia
1.10 Peaceful Day
1.11 Preparing a Gift
1.12 Key to Someone's Heart is Sweetness
1.13 Zhang and Jing
1.14 The Best Seedling
1.15 Blood Lunar (1)
1.16 Blood Lunar (2)
1.17 Impending Parting
Ji SongLi's Voice
1.18 Budding Flowers
Hai FenChu's Wish
1.19 His Guqin
1.20 Summer Dream at Lotus House
1.21 Summer Dream at Lotus House (2)
Longing
1.22 Tugging Heartstrings
1.23 A Mess Unintended
1.24 Familiar Faces
1.25 Wisdom
1.26 Return
Xiao Hui's Spring
1.27 Enchantment of The Heart
!NOT A CHAPTER!
1.28 JingHan
1.29 Butterfly Dance
1.30 To The Capital (1)
1.31 To The Capital (2)
1.32 Echoing Whispers
1.33 The Famed Scholars of Da Lang
1.34 Settling in Da Lang
1.35 One Person to Cherish
1.36 Vulnerable
1.37 The Generals' Sons
1.38 Prelude (1)
1.39 Prelude (2)
1.40 Overture
1.41 Unrest
Once Again, The Flower Blooms...
1.42 Brotherhood (1)
1.43 Brotherhood (2)
1.44 Tumultuous Heart
1.45 Sound of Silence (1)
1.46 Sound of Silence (2)
1.47 Oblivion
!!NOT A CHAPTER!! (2)
1.48 Harrassment
1.49 Indifference
1.50 Determination
1.51 Aging of a Beauty (1)
I Will Not Wait
1.52 Aging of a Beauty (2)
1.53 Dragon and Phoenix
1.54 Resolution
1.55 Heartache
1.56 HeShan's care
1.57 Farewell (1)
1.58 Farewell (2)
1.59 A Bizarre Encounter (1)
1.60 A Bizarre Encounter (2)
1.61 Memories (1)
1.62 Memories (2)
1.63 Memories (3)
1.64 Spoiled
1.65 Companions
JingMo's Past
1.66 Proposal
1.67 Stubborn For You
1.68 Life Like a Dream (1)
1.69 Life Like a Dream (2)
1.70 An Uninvited Guest
1.71 Summer Blossoms (1)
1.73 Gentlemen's Chat
1.74 The Eagle's Cry
1.75 The King
1.76 Wedding (1)
1.77 Wedding (2)
1.78 Even the Flowers Have Withered
1.79 Father to Son
1.80 Young Powerhouses of Da Lang (1)
1.81 Young Powerhouses of Da Lang (2)
1.82 Missing and Meeting
1.83 Warm Winter (1)
1.84 Warm Winter (2)
1.85 Young Master Qian
1.86 Birth of JingXiang
1.87 Second Ranked Gongzhu
1.88 What This Princess Wants...
"What This Princess Wants... "
1.89 Yong Prince
1.90 Yong WangFei (1)
1.91 Yong WangFei (2)
1.92 Let Me Whisper
1.93 You are...
1.94 Letters For You
1.95 Hun'ang and Lian Once More
1.96 When Will You Love Me Until?
1.97 Sisters
1.98 Bound To You (1)
1.99 Bound To You (2)
1.100 Mother
1.101 Tempest
1.102 Torment of The Departed
1.103 Accompanying You Forever, Once More
!!THE END AND THANK YOU!!

1.72 Summer Blossoms (2)

11.9K 545 39
By runexi

Summer festival in Hun'ang was - simply put - a lantern festival. And it was the perfect timing for their group as when they arrived in Hun'ang, the sun had set and night started to take over. The soldiers stayed behind at the house to keep guard.

The streets were filled with lit lanterns and various merchant stalls - all in joyful spirit of the summer-long festival. In this time of year, merchants opened their shops longer, travelers stayed for longer period of time, people spent more money purchasing various items.

YuLan requested SongLi to accompany her to one of the jewellers in the town - causing mild confusion for Xiao Hui as she browsed the stalls outside the shop, more interested in various street food.

"YuLan does not lack jewelleries - the ones given by First Madam Wui Jian Rui were probably enough for her to open her own stall here."

Nevertheless, she let them be. The pair came out after a while, giving Xiao Hui a subtle smile that she could not quite understand, especially after noticing that YuLan had not purchased anything. 

The small matter was soon forgotten off her mind as then they proceeded to spend some time traversing the bustling streets, getting lost in the festivities.

Although the town was buzzing and there were plenty of things to see and do, the main attraction of  festival was a lone temple in the center of the town that had a natural lotus pond. 

The town-folks never cared too much with aesthetic values, but there, nature had done the majority of the work for them, so everyone was in high spirits traversing the temple grounds filled with lanterns and admiring the pond full of blooming lotus.

In the middle of the temple, there was an expansive garden. It was not landscaped by human hands, but the towering trees that were blossoming with white, red, and pink petals created an alluring sight. 

People hung several paper lanterns on the tree branches as well.

The two scholars even bought a weiqi board - of all things - from one of the stalls they had visited just a while ago. They then chose a somewhat quiet spot, taking a lantern from one of the trees to give them enough light to play their game.

Some onlookers that noticed their peculiar group started to gather around them. Initially, the interest was because everyone in their group were good-looking, that it unwittingly warranted people to take a second look, then a third look... . Then upon realizing that their subjects of interest did not mind - or did not care - of the attention, their spot became quite crowded with people.

Some were interested in their go game, some were just content feasting their eyes on the handsome men and beautiful two young maidens.

HeShan and SunChen had a great time playing against each other, then against Ji SongLi. They initially tried to show JingMo how to play it, but after several games of ruthless massacre - JingMo's go pieces were basically all gone in a matter of minutes, both scholars gave up.

As for Ji SongLi; ever since he became their disciple long ago, both scholars always knew that the young man was adept in the four arts, and was one talented youth in this strategy game. 

It seemed that, even after all this years, he had not dulled at all. If anything, his moves became faster and more decisive, able to see the slightest mistake and loopholes in the opponent's course of action.

Their playing style differed greatly too. HeShan always tried to be more reserved, trying not to lose his go pieces too much.  Everyone found out that playing weiqi with him would drag the time too long, that finally SunChen forbid him to have another game after a couple.

Xiao Hui had already fallen asleep under the blossoming tree, clearly not interested in it. JingMo walked around, but never far from her side.

SunChen was more similar to SongLi - both were ruthless and gladly sacrificed their pieces in order to swallow the opponent's as quick as possible.

Their games were so fast and ended rounds after rounds, that YuLan could no longer see or comprehend what each move meant.  She knew the basic idea was similar to modern chess game, and she had seen HeShan and SunChen played weiqi before, that she somewhat understood the mechanics. But to see two masters pitting against each other... .

"At the pace they move their go pieces, they may as well just throw them at each other." - she couldn't help but to widen her eyes in amazement, no longer able to focus on the strategy behind their movements.

The onlookers were also seemingly in similar line of thought as hers - they could no longer follow the crazy game. Finally they felt bored and began to disperse, leaving the group to enjoy the rest of their nights.

After some moment of silence and their latest game ended, SongLi, HeShan, and SunChen  stood and stretched their bodies. The few hours of games, just sitting down, had ached their muscles.

Xiao Hui was still sleeping, Even JingMo had previously also fallen asleep by her side, her head on his shoulders. He woke up as HeShan, SunChen, and SongLi finished their games.

Not far from them, YuLan was entertaining herself playing with some lanterns that were hung on the trees. She collected the ones that she liked and put them all under a single branch. The blossoming summer flowers swayed gently on top of her head and around her, the slightest breeze causing the petals to disperse and danced around her. Behind the row of trees, the illuminated temple stood, also giving gleam to her smiling profile.

For a while, SongLi was entranced,

"If time could stop... ."

"If time could stop; if I never have to return; if you would turn my way; if I can be with you; if you allow me to be with you... ."

"Too many 'if's... ."

-------------------

As it was already late to return to the tea-house, they decided to stay the night in Hun'ang. The two story inn, like other buildings in the town, was decorated with hanging lanterns.

The inn was actually one of the biggest buildings in town. After all, Hun'ang had a lot of traveling merchants passing through and from Zhang Empire's and Northern Plains' territory. A substantial form of accommodation was important for a hub-town.

As they entered the inn, there was a figure across the road who was staring at them intently.

Qian FanSheng's two hands were full - one young maiden to each side. 

Ever since he was battered mercilessly by HeShan, he had tried to evaluate his approach. He decided to give up, at least temporarily. No woman was worth his swollen face and humiliation he had endured.

Therefore, since then, he had busied himself with other women. There was never shortage of young maidens who were interested in him, whether in his wealth, or him personally. After all, Qian FanSheng was not actually bad looking. 

Only if compared to non-humans like HeShan and SunChen, then his looks became dull as ash.

He initially thought that no woman was worth his dignity which had been snapped in two like HeShan's guqin. It was Bai YuLan's loss, not his.

But as he noticed the familiar figure entering the inn, the figure that had haunted his spring dreams, he was reminded once again of his desire towards that graceful figure.

Bai YuLan had become more enchanting in those months he had not seen her; her figure had become more developed, her swaying robes silhouetting her womanly shape that had not quite fully matured, but definitely roused his appetite more than ever.

As he wanted to shake off the two women by his side and wanting to talk to her again; to see her; to claim her; to keep her by his side - by hook or by crook, then he noticed her two 'brothers' trailing right behind her.

Qian FanSheng's left cheek suddenly ached and he stopped in his tracks.

Only then he noticed another unfamiliar person - a young man - that YuLan was talking to. Initially Qian FanSheng thought he was just another guest that was coincidentally entering the inn at the same time as her.

But as the unfamiliar young man lifted his hand at her direction, his palm facing up; and as she smiled at him - the smile that Qian FanSheng had wished countless times before would be bestowed to himself - Qian FanSheng was seething with jealousy.

More so, in terms of looks, the stranger was not inferior to HeShan and SunChen. The unfamiliar man looked about the same age as Qian FanSheng, if not perhaps a little bit younger.  He was tall and had a well-built physique. And the sword hung on his belt indicated that he was a swordsman or at least somewhat well-versed in sword art. The man had fine facial features, well defined jaw and sharp brows. His face looked kind and gentle, but as he looked at YuLan, his expression was full of adoration.

When he saw YuLan put her pale slender palm inside the young man's own, allowing him to help her go up the couple of steps towards the inn's entrance, Qian FanSheng became enraged.

Nevertheless, he did not want to go towards her, knowing that if he was to do so, he would just be seeking death from her two 'brothers' - not that Qian FanSheng ever believed they were siblings. 

Qian FanSheng was incensed - his mind was in disarray and he wallowed in his inner cry of injustice - for his lack of fortune in the looks department, for his own cowardice, for YuLan's unfairness that she chose looks more than a man's character(1) or wealth. She surrounded herself with men - good looking ones. In his skewed judgement, he had regarded the young woman as shallow and immoral.

After all, in Qian FanSheng's mind and belief, he would not lose to anyone in term of power or money, and that he could grant YuLan whatever she wished for if she was to become his. What more could a woman want? More than ever, after being separated for months, after seeing her again, Qian FanSheng was once again reminded of his infatuation of the young woman. Adding to that, his infatuation became more distorted.

After a while, the two young maidens by his side finally left him alone - they could not get him to leave the spot no matter how they coaxed or sang him praises. Qian FanSheng was still standing at his spot, staring at the inn with burning gaze. YuLan and her companions had long gone inside.

---------------

runexi's notes

(1). character?? (ಠ╭╮ಠ)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5K 166 9
A Caitlin Clark fanfiction, this was a joke in my head for a while, now it's serious and I have had so much fun doing this! Nora Solace and Caitlin C...
5.8K 160 17
If you didn't know priest is a 2011 is an American action horror film directed by Scott Stewart and stars Paul Bettany as the title character. It is...
134K 6.9K 11
Book 0 of "One Lifetime is Never Enough". A chance encounter. Or was it really? Lee Tanaka was a young man at the peak of his life. Smart, good-look...
221K 6K 31
When a cunning assassin is brutally murdered, she transmigrated into the body of a pathetic disfigured teenager in ancient China. Will she be able to...