Rot & Romance (Rewriting)

By JamelTWilkins

Benjamin Crawford is dead. Or, rather, he is undead. Born from an ancient dark witchcraft that turns humans i... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108

Chapter 14

2.7K 47 7
By JamelTWilkins

Sienna Falls, Montana 1947

The night was dark and the rain fierce. Benjamin sat in a corner of a mostly empty supermarket parking lot, watching a woman quickly carry groceries to her pale blue station wagon. He was hungry. But it wasn't the food in the woman's grocery bags Benjamin found enticing. It was her living flesh. But Benjamin was fighting the relentless temptation to rip into her with everything he had. He was scared. Terrified. Of himself. Of what he'd recently become.

Only a couple of days ago, Benjamin was living a normal life. As normal a life an eighteen-year-old orphan could possibly live anyway. As he sat in the parking lot watching the woman struggle to open the back of her station wagon, he was brought back to the night he met his first dead walker . . .

He stared into the wooden bowl on his table at what was supposed to be mashed potatoes. Benjamin sat alone in the candlelit supper hall. Like he always did. He didn't have any friends at the orphanage. It was hard making friends when everyone was trying so hard to be a bully.

Benjamin had been an orphan for a few months now. His parents and older brother had been brutally murdered at home. Nobody knew why or who did it but Benjamin felt like he was the only person that still cared about what happened to his family.

Benjamin saw two girls whispering and pointing at him on the other side of the supper hall. Even the girls would bully him sometimes. Everybody made fun of Benjamin Crawford.

Everybody.

Except one girl.

Isabella Morrison.

She was the new girl. An odd girl. Very quiet. And she kept to herself. Everybody at the orphanage feared her.

Except Benjamin Crawford.

She didn't give Benjamin a reason to fear her. Unlike everybody else at the orphanage, she smiled at him.

"Do you think I can 'ave the rest of rest of yer potatoes?"

Benjamin looked up to see Tommy Dunn, the biggest bully at the orphanage, standing above him. He was a rather large kid. Mainly because he always got to eat seconds as a result of his bullying.

"I'm still 'ungry," Tommy continued.

Benjamin idly began stirring his mashed potatoes.

"I-I . . ." he stuttered.

"Thank you," Tommy said as he dipped his spoon into Benjamin's bowl, scooping up a large glop of slimy mashed potatoes and sloppily eating it in front of Benjamin. The other orphans began pointing and laughing. Everyone except Isabella.

"You had your food!" she yelled, standing from her lonely table and making her way toward Benjamin's side.

Everybody looked at Isabella. In awe. Including Tommy.

"Why don't you mind your goddamn business?" he said.

The supper hall was dead silent.

"I grow tired of your constant harassing him," Isabella yelled. "Leave him alone!"

Tommy stepped toward Isabella.

"Or what?"

"Or I'll kill you," she responded defiantly.

Tommy considered Isabella's threat and laughed.

"You can't do anything. You're a girl!"

Isabella grabbed Tommy's hand and squeezed, causing him to expel a high-pitched shriek that echoed throughout the supper hall. Several of the orphans covered their ears, including Benjamin. The doors to the supper hall flew open and the administrator stepped in.

"What's going on in here?" Administrator Theresa bellowed. She was the largest woman Benjamin had ever seen. And the ugliest. She always wore huge long robes that was spotted with food stains and her dark bushy hair was always unkept.

Tommy, who was still screaming for bloody mercy, pointed to Isabella, who refused to let go of his hand.

"Miss Morrison, what is the meaning of this?" Administrator Theresa yelled, making her way over to them.

Isabella finally released Tommy's hand. He groaned as he shambled away in tears, caressing his swollen red hand.

"He's a bully, he doesn't deserve his hand. I should sever it," she calmly said, still watching Tommy shuffle over to his table.

"Listen young lady," Administrator Theresa said, "you're new here. Don't go threatening my children."

Isabella turned her attention to Administrator Theresa.

"You're an awful caretaker, Administrator."

"You need to watch your mouth!"

"And you need to watch your children. If you'd been paying attention, you'd know that Benjamin here has been bullied since he came to this orphanage three months ago."

Benjamin put his head down as he felt all eyes turn to him. The supper hall was dead silent once again.

"Mr. Crawford is this true?" Administrator Theresa asked, her voice echoing through every inch of the hall.

Benjamin slowly nodded, his eyes still on his half eaten bowl of mashed potatoes that he hadn't touched.

"Why I . . . I had no idea," Administrator Theresa said.

"Of course you didn't," Isabella retorted. She turned to Benjamin and held out her hand. "Come on, Benjamin. Let's get you out of here; you deserve better."

Administrator Theresa grabbed Isabella's arm.

"What do you think you're do--"

Isabella slapped Administrator Theresa so hard, she flew back a few feet and landed on her back. Out cold. The other orphans screamed and ran out of the hall. Especially Tommy Dunn.

Isabella returned her attention to Benjamin. He could feel her incessant stare. He slowly looked up at her. She wore the same smile she always wore when their eyes met. Her deep blue eyes were entrapping. Her long auburn hair seemed to flow in the wind that wasn't there. And her lightly freckled fair skin glowed in the candlelight. She reminded Benjamin of an angel. A goddess. Benjamin could feel his cheeks flare. He looked down again.

"Are you afraid of me?" she whispered. Benjamin could tell that she was still smiling.

"N-No. But . . . H-How'd you do that?" he asked.

Isabella ignored the question.

"Come on. Let's get out of here."

"Where are we going?" Benjamin asked, looking up at her again.

Isabella widened her smile.

"Home."

They walked in silence under a full moon. Benjamin and Isabella had left the orphanage. She had promised to take him somewhere safer. Somewhere better. He could feel Isabella stare at him as they walked.

"Why'd you let that boy bully you for so long?"

Benjamin shrugged.

"I guess I've grown used to it."

"Being bullied is something nobody should ever have to get used to."

"Have you seen Tommy Dunn? He's strong."

Isabella laughed.

"He wasn't all that strong."

"I can't believe you beat him."

"I eat all my vegatables," Isabella responded.

"Oh . . . well, Tommy ate all mine."

They laughed.

"You won't have to worry about him ever again."

There was silence for a few moments before Benjamin said "How'd you know I'd been at the orphanage for three months? You'd only been there for a few weeks."

"I'd . . . been following you."

"Following me?"

"I saw your newspaper article a few months back," Isabella said tenderly. "I still remember the headline title. 'Family Murdered in Home. One Boy Survives'. I thought it was so tragic. You looked so lost in the article photo. I guess I . . . felt sorry for you." Isabella looked up at the full moon, somehow appearing more heavenly under the moonlight. "I snuck into the orphanage many times just to get a glimpse of you. And a few weeks ago I . . . invited myself in."

"Wait a minute . . . you aren't an orphan?" Benjamin said.

Isabella shook her head.

"I live just north of here in the Hills. I have very wealthy parents and . . . a big home. Your new home--if you want it to be."

Benjamin stared at Isabella, wide-eyed.

"You're inviting me to . . . come live with you?"

"Father said it's okay."

"I-I can't just move into your home."

Isabella grabbed Benjamin's hand. They were ice cold. She stared him in the eye.

"Yes . . . yes you can. You'll have a better life. You'll be happy with my family. And me."

Benjamin felt his cheeks flare up again.

"But there's something you must know. About me and my family, Benjamin," Isabella continued. "We're . . . different. Very different."

"How so?" Benjamin asked.

Isabella looked nervous as her eyes pierced Benjamin's

"My family and I . . . we're all dead."

---

A/N: Thanks so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please leave a comment and let me know what you think. And if you liked this chapter, don't forget to vote. Again, thank you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.9K 566 25
Eleven high school students... Trapped within the walls of Ashmore house, their small town's infamous haunted house... Alone with the murderous ghost...
2K 198 32
Two tortured souls. One unthinkable love. Ava is already trying to navigate the dark depths of grief when she meets a curious stranger who knows to...
175K 11.2K 38
Highest ranking: #16 in Paranormal The arrival of the gorgeous Sterling brothers triggers a series of gruesome, inexplicable and magical events in th...
1.3K 194 30
For fans of the Supernatural and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, a new series about ancient evils that go bump in the night and a girl who isn't afraid to...