Beast Of Italy

By LeeleeKez

His burns tell a story, one Julius Talbot is unable to remember. When Julius Talbot wakes up with his memory... More

1
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Epilogue

Chapter Three

10.1K 783 41
By LeeleeKez

Ira's heart threatened to leap out of its cage in her chest as she listened to his low groans seep through every crack in the ceiling and break down the walls of the silence in the room. Trembling, she rose to her feet and made her way around the bed to where Rey slept peacefully. She carried him in her arms and turned to the door.

She would leave, she decided, afraid the beast would somehow sense her presence and come to find her. Perhaps he would even harm her? She didn't know who he was or what he was capable of and she didn't think she wanted to find out. She was after all trespassing on his land, was she not? It was no use trying to fall asleep anyway and Lady Talbot wouldn't notice her absence in the morning, that was certain.

With her mind made up, she readjusted the sleeping baby in her arms and began making her way out of the building, terrified.

♠♠♠

The scent of steaming coffee overpowered the entire room as the maid stood pouring the brown liquid into two tea cups. Lady Talbot sat with her eyes trailing the movement of the maid and her mind distracted by the young woman she met the evening before; Ira. She shared no similar features with the maid and while she did appear malnourished, Josephine could admit that she was beautiful. She possessed a beauty that was rare in many ways, so rare, she nearly appeared alien.

“Anything?” Miranda turned inquiring eyes to Josephine who shook her head in response. When the maid turned to Julius who was already reaching for his cup of tea, Lady Talbot spoke,

“That will be all, Miranda, thank you.” Bowing, Miranda turned and began making her way out of the room. She was at the door when Josephine heard herself say, “Is Ira married?!” The words poured out of her lips before she could even consider them for not only was her question done in poor taste, it made her appear to be nothing but a busybody.

Yet, a part of Josephine knew the origin of her question. It was borne out of a desire to see her son with a woman and while she knew nothing about Ira, she knew nothing about Hadassah as well when she orchestrated her marriage to Daniel. The marriage worked, didn't it? And Julius, there wasn't that much of a difference between him and his brother. While Daniel was blind, Julius was burned. The two were disabled in ways that kept them trapped and away from the rest of the world. If Josephine hadn't stepped in, Daniel would have remained unmarried. Perhaps she was here to do the same for her son? Perhaps he needed only to set his eyes on Ira and he would change his mind?

There was however the possibility that Ira was indeed married for she had a son and if she wasn't married, could Josephine convince her to agree to a marriage to a man whose physical features were anything but appealing?

“My Lady?” Miranda's question helped to pull Josephine back to the present. Lifting her eyes up, she found Julius watching her, a frown on his scarred face.

Perhaps she should apologize for requesting for such an information from Miranda? She had certainly crossed a line with her question but it was however too late to go back over that line and she was desperate. “Ira,” She reached for her tea and took a long sip in a failed attempt to calm her nerves. “Is she married or perhaps betrothed to a man? ”

“Husband, die, my lady.” The maid stood wringing her hands in a clear show of nervousness.

Josephine felt a smile tug on the corners of her lips and immediately lifted her tea cup before her face in an attempt to hide it. “That will be all, Miranda.” She leaned back against her chair, knowing the first obstacle had been removed. Turning her attention to Julius whose frown reflected his confusion, she took another sip of her tea; she only needed to get rid of the second obstacle. Unfortunately for her, Julius' stubbornness might prove to be a bigger obstacle.

♠♠♠

Josephine pushed the curtains aside once more and squinted her eyes as she ran her gaze through the crowded sea port. The intensity of the sun seemed to have risen even as sweaty bodies rubbed against each other. Drawing the curtains back, she heaved a tired breath. Nearly thirty minutes sitting and waiting in a stuffy carriage for Miranda to locate Ira was proving to be too much for her aging body. She was however desperate to find Ira and convince her to agree to a marriage to her son. Of course it might not be an easy task to achieve but Miranda did assure her that Ira was widowed. Being a widow without money and a child to care for! Surely Ira would see her proposal as a life saving one. It would not only give her son security, it would give them a home.

Unfortunately, before Josephine could offer Ira the proposal, she was gone from the estate. Thankfully, Miranda assured her she could find Ira.

Pushing the curtains aside once more, Josephine heaved a breath in relief as she spotted Ira making her way through the crowd, a bundle pressed to her chest and a basket dangling in her left hand.

Josephine's gaze ran over her once more. With flowing long, charcoal hair that danced to the rhythm of the wind and dark, sun kissed skin that glistened with sweat, Ira easily stood out in the crowd. Josephine wondered if her beauty had caused many men to approach her or they were simply put off by the presence of a child. Perhaps it was her tall, boney structure that helped to discourage men? For she was quite tall for a woman and Josephine knew how hard and nearly impossible it was for tall women to find a husband.

Ira and Miranda reached the carriage and Josephine waited until the door was pulled open before sticking her head out and instructing the two women to enter. Ira's eyes reflected her uncertainty but she obeyed, turning to hand the bundle to Miranda before climbing into the carriage. Miranda handed her the bundle and climbed in behind her. With both women settled on the seat opposite Lady Talbot, she instructed the footman to take them home.

Ira's hands tightened around the bundle as the carriage began to move, her eyes betraying her feeling of fear. Lady Talbot offered her a warm smile, compelling her to force a smile to her lips as well. Still, she was visibily shaken.

They rode in silence, Ira's eyes fixed on the bundle that rested in her arms. Lady Talbot observed Rey for a short while, thinking how docile he was for a baby and how little he seemed to weigh when she carried him in her arms. He seemed to do nothing but sleep most of the time.

When the carriage pulled to a halt, Lady Talbot invited Ira to join her in the parlor, thankful for Julius' absence. Taking the child from Ira, she handed him to Miranda and instructed he be placed on a comfortable bed.

“You seem thirsty,” She observed Ira who didn't protest her words. Ringing for Miranda, she had her place two cups of lemonade before them. Ira murmured her gratitude but didn't reach for her glass. “Please be comfortable, Ira.”

“Forgive me, my lady.” Her eyes remained planted on her fingers.

“Perhaps you know the reason I sent for you? ” Lady Talbot could only assume that Ira's nervousness was borne out of the fact that Miranda had told her even if she specifically instructed the maid to let her break the news to Ira herself.

Ira shook her head, “No, my lady.”

Knowing she was lying, Josephine decided not to give away the fact of her knowledge. “Do you wish for anything else other than this glass of lemonade you have failed to acknowledge?” Her eyes remained fixed on Ira's bowed head.

“No, my lady. Thank you.”

Sighing in frustration, “Then I must convince you to agree to this marriage, Ira, surely you know of the advantages attached to doing so. My son needs an heir and you most likely need a husband. Perhaps in time love will come but if not, he will be good to you and surely you have thought of Rey! Surely you know he needs a home! He shall grow up in society a man of influence and with the best education there is.”

Silence.

Josephine fought the urge to fall before Ira and beg that she be wed to Julius. She fought the urge to speak of his need for companionship, his need for love, her own desperation that he somehow finds happiness...

Still, Ira sat in silence before her, saying and doing nothing. Perhaps she was wrong to assume that Ira would want to be tied in marriage to a man who was unpleasant and perhaps some might even consider him repulsive to the eyes.

“Forgive me, Ira,” She rose to her feet, emotionally exhausted. “I have crossed the line. I will have Miranda bring you a luncheon and the moment you are willing to go, I will have the footman take you to wherever you wish to go.” Turning to the door, she made to leave when Ira's small whisper pulled her to a halt. Turning around slowly, Lady Talbot felt whatever little hope she thought she had drain from her body. “What?”

“I am unable to marry, my lady,” Her hands shook. “for I am already married,”

Lady Talbot shook her head, her mouth all of a sudden feeling dry. “You are widowed, are you not?”

“No, my lady,” She lifted her head up, tears glistening in her brown eyes. “My husband is alive.”

Copyright © 2018 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

I know how late this update is coming and I feel like you guys deserve an explanation. So, here it is:

Not only have I been extremely swamped with trying to get one of my books published, I'm back to school for my final semester! So it's only a few more months and that llb is mine!

I've also been a tadbit depressed but I have faith.

Finally, connecting with these characters have been impossible and I didn't want to publish something I wasn't proud of.

Lastly, do vote and tell me what you think of Ira actually being married?! That would unfortunately kill any prospective romance with Julius, right? Or, is she simply lying???

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9K 442 22
Alois swallowed, and the pain of what he had to do eclipsed the burned skin of his wrists and the pulsing throbs of his head. He tried to speak, but...
39.8K 3.8K 46
When Kevin Crawford, the 2nd Earl of Rathwell hires Sharla O'Brien as his wine investment firm manager, he doesn't expect to fall in love in the barg...
Bound To Bea By Lily Orevba

Historical Fiction

83.5K 7.2K 47
"No respect for the dead." His words came out in silent whispers, his teeth clenched. A small smile tugged on her lips. "Respect is earned in life, m...
6K 728 19
(Book 2 in If I Could series) "What do you want, Lily!?" he yelled, his patience on the verge of snapping. "You keep telling me you hate me but clear...