Detroit: Become Human //We're...

By TryingMyHand

This is a Human AU, about a painter named, Markus Manfred. You're just down on your luck for this entire day... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chaper 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26

Chapter 23

1.1K 44 14
By TryingMyHand

Reader POV~

Miraculously, I woke up on my bed for the first time since I remember deciding to go to sleep in my living room. I could've just slept on the floor, the floor is more comfortable than my own bed sometimes. I checked the time to see that it was 4 Am. I guess my days of haunting are finally over if this is the time I'm waking up at this time. I'm not ready to go to work. Mr. Rowe got in the way of me finding out for myself. I sighed to myself as I went to take a shower, taking a bit of my time before going to put on clean clothes. I grabbed my mini-backpack, checked what I had inside and out in what I thought was missing from it. I walked down the stairs, not really surprised to see Markus waiting for me. I caught his eyes and he gave me a wink. I greeted him with a kiss on the cheek once I reached him then we got inside the car to go to my destination. I noticed he was dressed in a suit so I wondered about the occasion.

"Hows Carl?" I asked instead as I looked out the window.

"He's doing alright. He's going to have to stay in the hospital a bit longer before I can take him home. Really, come to visit." Markus spoke as he tapped on the steering wheel with one of his hands.

"I will. I promise you that. I promised myself that." I took a glance at him. He smiled as we finally fell into a comfortable silence. Once he was pulling up to the Nursery. I looked over at him. "Markus...you've been with Carl for a long time, right?"

"Yes. I've been with him for about a decade." Markus hummed thoughtfully. So he was here when I wasn't.

"Have you met his...son?" I questioned. I was observing his reaction and it turned into a dark solemn expression.

"Leo. Yes...about four times. Why?" Markus responded as he stared forward.

"I wondered if Leo ever came to visit him." I continued after a moment's reflection.

"No. He hasn't. He's too busy doing other stuff from what I've seen." Markus gritted his teeth. It was quite tense in the car. I wondered what happened to them. To put it simply, Markus and Leo didn't have a good history.

"Oh. The times you did see him. Those four times? Why was he there?" I placed a hand on his tense shoulders. He looked over me before relaxing and wearing a tired look on his face.

"Money. How do you know him?" Markus slightly faltered as I watch his grip tighten in the steering wheel.

"Childhood. " I answered while blinking rapidly before steadily eyeing him and taking my hand away.

"Oh." He went silent with a controlled smile.

I frowned to myself before fidgeting my hands together. He dropped me off after taking my hand and placing a kiss on my pulse point on my wrist. It strangely made me feel nervous. When I stepped into the nursery, I slowly went into my routine. Abigail avoiding me was more prominent than ever. I felt some enjoyment in her behavior. I worked swiftly and efficiently. I was more aware of the areas I worked in, trying to figure out where the cameras were placed. I checked places which I think I saw on the cameras but never took the doors out. I finished up my shift, already expecting Markus to be there then go off to visit Carl or something with his job. He was leaning against the car, scrolling through his phone, then opened the door after he glanced up towards me. He closed the door after I got in then got inside himself and started the engine.

"How's work? You seem frustrated since yesterday. " Markus inquired.

"I'm doing my own investigation and I got Interrupted. I'm somewhat salty about it." I answered. He glanced towards me before taking one of my hands and squeezing it.

"Look, I have the day off today. Come over. Simon, Josh, And surprisingly North, who I thought wanted nothing to do with me. I guess in friendly regards, she cares. " Markus mused while filing to himself.

I feel my chest ache a bit when I see him smile at the mention of North's name. I mean, I know its because they've known each other for a long time and I'm just someone new to the mix. Heck, I don't even know if we're dating. It's like this attraction. I'm not going to tell him the time she slapped me and I clapped back.

"That's great. Of course, I'll come over. What are we doing? Please tell me, there is no ice cream involved." I pleaded.

"I see you've been hanging out with Simon. By the way, he doesn't like to mention it but he likes to get some coffee before he gets his ice cream. Iced Coffee." Markus assures. "If you hand him that, he just might forget about the ice cream you have. "

"I have to restock my ice cream. I think he scarred my kitchen." I sighed. Markus bathed out a laugh.

"Thank god, we're going to my place then." He tried to stop laughing by bitting his bottom lip. I can feel how hard he's trying to keep from smiling. Amusement is just radiating from him.

"Just start driving, Mr. Manfred." I pursed my lips in false irritation.

"Oh no, we're on last names now? Oh please, Ms. (L/n), don't last name me." He pleaded as he started driving onto the road.

"Redeem yourself then I'll think about it. " I grinned.

"Alright. I have plenty of ideas." Markus smiled. I looked at him for a short while before turning my attention to pressing the button to make my window roll down. I partially had my hand out the window and made wave motions in the passing wind. I watch the scenery pass by as I found entertainment with the wind. Markus turned on the radio and music drifted inside the car. I watched as a more familiar scenery came into view. Markus parked in the garage which I didn't know he had. I stepped out just in time to see the door from the side swing open. In the doorway you see Josh standing there.

"You coming? We're gonna watch The Target, Raken, Invasion, and 3021." Josh beamed as he took my hand and pulled me towards the living room. "I've been wanting to see The Target for a while!"

"I don't think we're gonna get to them all, Josh," I replied as I was gently pushed onto the couch. Thankfully, next to Simon who wrapped me up in a bear hug.

"C'mon, I think Raken's suppose to be a scary movie," Simon muttered before looking towards the kitchen then whispering lowly to me. "I'm surprised North wanted to hang out."

"You read my mind," I said while staring at the kitchen doors.

North walks out with two bowls of popcorn. She placed them down on the couch before taking a seat on the other side, ignoring me completely. I guess I should feel relieved. Josh took the couch in the right, almost taking up the whole seat when he rested his elbow on the armrest and had his legs up too. Simon leaned on me but not fully putting his weight on me. I wondered where Markus was going to sit. He was going to have to sit with her and I'm not sure how to feel about it. I think Simon saw my internal struggle so he pinched my cheeks. I smacked his hand away from my face and he just snickered to himself. Markus came with a tub of ice cream and a spoon for Simon but he also had iced coffee with him. Simon took the coffee. Markus demonstrated that for me and gave me a thumbs up which I did in return.

"If you're finished, can we start with The Target now?" Josh had a remote in his fidgety hand. He's really excited for someone with mad computer skills. I wonder what skills Simon, Markus, and North have.

"Alright, let me go grab some other things. Since we're gonna be here for a while." Markus chuckled when he walked away.

"If he's gonna be like that, I'm going to the bathroom." Josh dropped the remote on the coffee table and went towards the bathroom. North pulled out her phone and seems to be texting someone. Simon started playing with my hair. I thought about the note Nerve left me, the one that said fight or...i won't finish that. I seriously need to go see Carl. I need advice. The only people from my past is Carl and Leo. I was lost in the sea of memories, some I wanted, and some I didn't. Simon snapped me out of it by shaking me.

"Come back to the real world. Movies starting." Simon whispered. I looked at him gratefully. It seems that Simon's looking out for me.

"Which one?" I whispered back.

"The Target." Simon softly spoke before shutting up.

I looked towards the TV to watch the movie. I took small fleeting glances towards North and Markus. North leaned on him and Markus held her up. I felt the sting of jealousy. I don't know how they can just do that. I'm going to believe that it's a habit or something like that. I turned my attention to the movie and decided to enjoy it. Of course, if Simon wasn't gonna eat that ice cream, I was. Not gonna waste food. We went through two movies before declaring break time. The next some we were to watch was Raken. I got up and stretched and went to go use the bathroom upstairs that wasn't in use by North. I did my business, washed my hands, then walked towards the stairs. I heard someone pounding at the door. Markus quickly made it to the door before I could, so I stood at the top of the stairs.

"I'm coming! " Markus yelled before opening the door. I was shocked to see Leo at the door. He looked like a whole mess. "Oh."

Leo looked at him disgruntled before pushing past him and making eye contact with me. I can tell he was on Red Ice. He steadily looked at me before moving towards the living room. "Move. Out. Of. My. Way."

I rushed down the stairs and Markus looked at me with slight confusion before it turned to rage. He stomped towards the living room and I followed behind him. The door to the studio was opened and Markus went through it. Simon and Josh looked confused by what was happening but North seemed to understand why Markus was so angry. She just rolled her eyes.

"What are you doing?" I could hear Markus questioning Leo. I went to the studio, seeing Leo at a table looking at paintings Carl did.

"Do you believe how much people would pay for this crap? " Leo muttered. But it seemed more to himself.

"Leave them alone. Look, don't do this. Carl wouldn't want you to do this. So leave. " Markus addressed Leo.

"I don't owe you anything. So, what are you gonna do about it?" Leo jeered as he shoved Markus with both of his hands.

"Don't touch me. Last chance, Leo. Leave peacefully. Don't make me force you myself." Markus warned with a hard glare.

Leo shoved one of his hands into his pocket and feigned thinking about it. Before he stepped forward and punched Markus in the face. He must've punched hard because Markus's head turned 90° degrees. Markus looked at Leo perfectly fine as if he wasn't just punched in the face. Then Markus threw a punch back then continued to keep punching. Leo tried to fight back but to me, it seemed more like flailing around. Markus swept Leo's legs from under him then straddled him as he continued to punch Leo. At first, I thought he was going to stop until he decided to use some elbow shots. That's when I intervened. I pulled Markus off Leo's probably aching and broken body. Before Markus was fully pulled away from Leo by Simon, he kicked harshly into his sides. I went to Leo to check for a pulse. But the pained groans told me he was going to live. I helped him up and earned a confused look from Josh.

"What are you doing? Simon, Let go!" Markus seethe as he struggled in Simon's arms.

"No can do, bud. Let's go chill." Simon tightens his grip on Markus. "By the pool." Simon dragged a very pissed off Markus towards the pool area.

"Think you can walk?" I asked. Leo didn't answer me so I dragged him there. "Lay down. I'm gonna get an ice pack, water, and pepper spray."

"Why pepper spray?" Josh inquiries.

"When I patch him up, I'm spraying." I went to the kitchen to grab a medkit I remembered was once there. I grabbed an ice pack and went through my mini-backpack to get the pepper spray. I walked back to the living room area, had Josh hold him up as I patched him up in minutes. We laid him back down and I gave him the ice pack for his face.

"That's gonna bruise." Josh grimaced at the sight of Leo. "He gave you hell."

"He deserved it too." I scoffed. "Crap, I don't even know where he lives."

"I think he passed out," Josh informed.

"Great. That's just great. " I growled.

"Don't worry, I think Markus knows where he lives." Josh consoled. I crouched down and rummaged through Leo's pockets as he was speaking. "What are you doing?"

"Finding his wallet. Gotta be something there." I replied, hotly. I pulled out his wallet and waved it in the air.

"Yeah, Dust." Josh laughed.

"Ha Ha. " I opened his wallet and viewed his ID. "Found it. Know where Markus's keys are?"

"No way, I am not helping you rob Markus's car. Did you see what he did to that guy? He's right there! I think five of his ribs are done for." Josh fretted.

"Wuss!" I chuckled. I stood up and dusted off my knees.

I went to the kitchen and scanned the counters for keys. I hoped to god he didn't have it on him. I made my way towards the pool area and saw the keys on the floor, along with a phone and flash drive. I looked at the pool to see Markus floating around on his back. Simon was sitting on the edge of the pool and North next to him. They seemed to be having a pleasant conversation. I picked up the key, phone, and flash drive. I put the phone and flash drive on the end table. I put the keys in my pocket before eyeing the flash drive in interest. I decided to take that with me too. I jingled the keys in front of Josh's face.

"No," Josh spoke, wryly.

"Yes. I need someone to carry him to the car and inside his house." I begged.

"Do you even know how to drive?" Josh stared at the keys.

"Nope!" I smiled in victory as he picked up Leo, he carried him like a bag of potatoes.

"Carry him normally!" I scolded.

"Why do you care?" Josh sighed as he carried Leo properly and we made our way to the car.

"That's my brother you're holding," I spoke truthfully.

"You're a Manfred?" Josh gaped.

"No. He's like my brother. Look, we have history. Help me." I got into the passenger seat. He got into the driver's seat and started the car.

"Oh. Okay. Let's do this. Is there a way to start cars quietly?" Josh murmured.

"No," I answered and Josh sighed as he drove onto the main road and I press in the address on the GPS.

We had a silent drive with minimal conversation. It wasn't really quiet because of the groans in pain but still. When we arrived at his house, Josh pulled into the driveway. We got out and Josh went to carry Leo. I dug into Leo's pocket to get his keys and opened the door to let Josh in. It was a really nice house. I wondered what Leo did. My real question is why Leo started doing this stuff. Josh dropped Leo on the couch ungracefully. But it was okay. I analyzed his living room before deciding it was enough.

"We should go, now. Your friend is safe and at home." Josh huffed. I gave him a surprised hug which set him off balance.

"Thanks. For helping me." I whispered as I tightened my embrace. He hugged me back and rubbed my shoulders soothingly.

"C'mon, girl. Let's go." Josh smiled, reassuringly.

"Alright." I let him go, dropping my arms. "You go ahead."

"Okay." Josh nodded while staring at me unsure. But he did what I said. I pulled out my phone and rewrote his name. Brother Josh. I smiled to myself before joining him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82K 2.4K 38
❝You must be Hank's daughter.❞ ❝Indeed I am. And you must be that detective I've heard so much about.❞ All Time Highest Rankings (Not date related):...
1.3K 85 20
{COMPLETED} Revisit the story you know and love from Detroit: Become Human.. But through Alice's eyes. Learn how Alice feels on her journey to freed...
20.8K 445 36
A rewrite of DETROIT: Become Human. Storyline is still the same, but with different changes Kara has been programmed to hunt deviants Markus seeks to...
149K 2.5K 12
As of now, this book is either ended, or discontinued. Either way, I may continue in the future, seeing as I love this game and I am inspired fairly...