Chapter 2

Reader POV~

Once I reached the safety of my home I immediately locked the front door. I even felt so unsafe that I passed both of the chained locks. I took off my mini-backpack, placing it on the table, then sat by the living room. I honestly wondered who that man was. He was in such a suspicious outfit. I'm floored. I turned on the TV and turned off the firefox. I switched to a News channel. I felt comfortable on my recliner type of chair, pressed the button on the side to start reclining, then just held the remote in my hand. The news talked about how Markus Manfred, a famous painter was found leaving Bellini Paints than while so, He helped saved someone before they could've been pushed into the street by a group of protestors. I rolled my eyes then looked up the video on my laptop that was on the side and looked up, Markus Manfred saves a person.

Multiple sites pop up, showing the video and I clicked on one. I looked at the video closely. I watched the video two more times as something familiar aired around him. I couldn't exactly pinpoint why he looked familiar. I closed the laptop and looked out the window, seeing more of Detroit's busier side. I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not but I thought I saw someone standing on the sidewalks, looking directly at me before the next time someone walked in front of them, they disappeared.

The day has been creepy and I went to do a full-scale checkup on the house. I live in a two bedroom apartment. Once, I made sure I am the only one in this apartment I take off my clothes, watching a paper dropped out of my jean pocket. I picked it up and pushed it in the drawer at my bedside. I'm never gonna need it anyway. I took my shower, dried up, put on some pajamas, and decided to watch movies for the rest of the night. Passing out in my living room.

When I did wake up. I had a stiff neck matched with bad nightmares. I checked the time and of course, it was 3 am. I must stop waking up at this time. Leaves me slightly drowsy when the sun actually starts to go down. I got up, went towards the bathroom for a long shower, put on my clean clothes afterward before using the rest of my time to cook breakfast for one. I ate my eggs in silence. Placed my phone in charge. I turned on the TV and pondered more while surfing the channels. I looked outside to see that it was about to start raining. I grabbed my mini-backpack, put my phone in with its charger, threw it on, and grabbed the umbrella. I raced down the stairs and moved towards the bus stop with absolute speed. I swear the feeling of being watch increases every few weeks. Like the person gets closer. I stepped onto the bus and sat in my normal seat, looking out the window.

I went through my day, as usual, helping the elders, doing some jobs and cleaning, all the while Mr.Rowe avoids me pointedly. He would come up to my area, glance in my direction before giving orders to my peers. The rest of the hours went as planned. I finished up my shift and walked out. I decided to take a stroll while mindlessly thinking of how the sky moves past me. My thought is at ease because I feel so peaceful.

I heard my phone ring and suddenly I was back in the real world. I ignored my phone in favor of finding out where I exactly am. I looked around to see a nice neighborhood. The sun has started to go down and I realized how long my heads been up in the clouds. A miracle I wasn't hit by a car yet. The same feeling of being watched was there. A hand placed itself on my shoulder and I quickly spun around. I came face to face to a set of different colored eyes. Those eyes looked at me with curiosity. I kind of just looked all over his face. He had a nice facial structure, a shaved head, small stubble, somewhat pouty lips, and did We speak about his eyes?

"Ms. Are you alright?" The smooth voice spoke. It was a familiar smooth, warm voice. It was the creepy man. I stared at his face once again.

"Markus Manfred...?" I absentmindedly whispered. Markus slightly looked stumped at me figuring out his identity.

"Hello. Do you need directions?" Markus gave me a small smile.

"Yes. I need directions towards the closest bus stop." I stared at him in wonder but then cautiously. He was the man I bumped into. But justifying him, he did save someone. But who touches someone out of nowhere. Markus mouth twitches from the corner of his mouth. Before looking in the direction I think I came from. Then he pointed in opposite direction.

"It's not far from here. But that's the closest bus stop I know, Ms." Markus had a serious glint in his eye while looking down on me.

"(F/n)." I stated.

"It's nice to meet you, (F/n). You know me already." Markus held out his hand.

I took his hand and shook it. He had a firm grip on my hand. He had kept a steady eye contact in me. He had this feature about him that screams wonder. That screams 'I Am Alive'. I gave a nod while shaking his hand. I didn't notice that he tilted his head in confusion, making his brows furrow, and him looking questioningly at me. I was still shaking his hand while nodding and just looking into his eyes.

"Is it just me or do you have big eyes?" I muttered.

"Compliment or question?" He had a small smile growing on his lips.

"Compliment. Um. Sorry." I retracted my hand from his hand and by accident, my fingers slid against his. I must be careful of this man. He really is attractive, though. If only he wasn't creepy. He cleared his throat. He still had this friendly aura.

"Would you like to come in? If you're not in a hurry." Markus said, pointing back towards the house with his thumb.

"That's alright. I have to...go make sure I didn't leave my plants to go without water." I nodded as the lie quickly came to my mind and through my mouth. He nodded in understanding.

"Get home safely, (F/n)." Markus bid me bye while swiftly walking back to his home and closing the door behind me, flashing me one last smile.

I gave a quick smile back before speed-walking away towards the bus stop. I waited for the bus before boarding it and sitting in the front. I made it towards my apartment complex, up the stairs, and into the apartment.

I heard the home phone ring and picked up the phone. I listened carefully. It was the same harsh breathing. I rolled my eyes then huffs loudly.

"Chloe, it isn't funny. It isn't cute." I firmly spoke.

"..." The breathing got quieter. Then the caller hung up leaving the phone beeping.

I put the phone back in its holder. I got goosebumps all over my arm. I took my mini-backpack off and search for my phone. I pulled it out and went to the bedside then pulled open the drawer, grabbing the paper. I put the number into my contacts and put the name as 'The Painter'. I didn't text him or anything. It felt creepy that I have his number. I'll probably forget about the number.

I left a text to Chloe and Kara. Hope they read it before Saturday. I went to bed and took off my shoes and flopped onto my bed. Face first. My cold pillow feels great against my cold face. Together they will create warmth. I thought back to the moment of Markus. Smooth painter. I wonder how's Carl.