Chapter 23

Reader POV~

Miraculously, I woke up on my bed for the first time since I remember deciding to go to sleep in my living room. I could've just slept on the floor, the floor is more comfortable than my own bed sometimes. I checked the time to see that it was 4 Am. I guess my days of haunting are finally over if this is the time I'm waking up at this time. I'm not ready to go to work. Mr. Rowe got in the way of me finding out for myself. I sighed to myself as I went to take a shower, taking a bit of my time before going to put on clean clothes. I grabbed my mini-backpack, checked what I had inside and out in what I thought was missing from it. I walked down the stairs, not really surprised to see Markus waiting for me. I caught his eyes and he gave me a wink. I greeted him with a kiss on the cheek once I reached him then we got inside the car to go to my destination. I noticed he was dressed in a suit so I wondered about the occasion.

"Hows Carl?" I asked instead as I looked out the window.

"He's doing alright. He's going to have to stay in the hospital a bit longer before I can take him home. Really, come to visit." Markus spoke as he tapped on the steering wheel with one of his hands.

"I will. I promise you that. I promised myself that." I took a glance at him. He smiled as we finally fell into a comfortable silence. Once he was pulling up to the Nursery. I looked over at him. "Markus...you've been with Carl for a long time, right?"

"Yes. I've been with him for about a decade." Markus hummed thoughtfully. So he was here when I wasn't.

"Have you met his...son?" I questioned. I was observing his reaction and it turned into a dark solemn expression.

"Leo. Yes...about four times. Why?" Markus responded as he stared forward.

"I wondered if Leo ever came to visit him." I continued after a moment's reflection.

"No. He hasn't. He's too busy doing other stuff from what I've seen." Markus gritted his teeth. It was quite tense in the car. I wondered what happened to them. To put it simply, Markus and Leo didn't have a good history.

"Oh. The times you did see him. Those four times? Why was he there?" I placed a hand on his tense shoulders. He looked over me before relaxing and wearing a tired look on his face.

"Money. How do you know him?" Markus slightly faltered as I watch his grip tighten in the steering wheel.

"Childhood. " I answered while blinking rapidly before steadily eyeing him and taking my hand away.

"Oh." He went silent with a controlled smile.

I frowned to myself before fidgeting my hands together. He dropped me off after taking my hand and placing a kiss on my pulse point on my wrist. It strangely made me feel nervous. When I stepped into the nursery, I slowly went into my routine. Abigail avoiding me was more prominent than ever. I felt some enjoyment in her behavior. I worked swiftly and efficiently. I was more aware of the areas I worked in, trying to figure out where the cameras were placed. I checked places which I think I saw on the cameras but never took the doors out. I finished up my shift, already expecting Markus to be there then go off to visit Carl or something with his job. He was leaning against the car, scrolling through his phone, then opened the door after he glanced up towards me. He closed the door after I got in then got inside himself and started the engine.

"How's work? You seem frustrated since yesterday. " Markus inquired.

"I'm doing my own investigation and I got Interrupted. I'm somewhat salty about it." I answered. He glanced towards me before taking one of my hands and squeezing it.

"Look, I have the day off today. Come over. Simon, Josh, And surprisingly North, who I thought wanted nothing to do with me. I guess in friendly regards, she cares. " Markus mused while filing to himself.