Under the moonlight

Od NamaembaD

She finds love in the most unexpected places and must also learn how to protect and defend her love. Více

Author's note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
The Adventure continues...
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Pixie Dust Awards
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 27

114 13 0
Od NamaembaD

"He is gone, D. Gone. "

Kojo was now shedding tears uncontrollably. If the circumstances were different, I would have teased him about crying in front of a woman like that, but at that moment, I felt sorry for him and without knowing, I was also crying.
I understood that Kojo and Amare had known each other practically from the time they were born. They had been friends all their life and one of them dying was definitely a hard blow on the other one.

The few times that I had interacted with Mulutu had shown me that he was a nice person. We were not close but at least we could exist together without tearing each other apart.
I also liked him because he supported my relationship with Kojo. That was surely important to me.

"Kojo, I know that this is hard for you, but you have to be strong."

I knew that whatever I was saying did not make much sense to him then, but it was better to say something nonsensical than just stand there and look at him.
I wondered if Kia had already gotten the news.
She had rejected Mulutu over time and I knew that when she learns of his death, she would somehow make it her fault. That was her problem, she felt too much.
I had to find her and deliver the news to her in the most gentle manner ever.

"We have to get you home, Kojo. You need to rest."

"I do not want to rest. I want to stay with you."

He sounded like a baby, with tears streaming down his face like that and a stupid pout on his face, he sure did looks like a baby. I liked this side of Kojo that he never showed.

"As much as I am flattered by those words, I need to get you home to your mother. She must be really worried right now. And you also need to rest. "

He opened his mouth to say something but I cut him short before he could.
I was already dragging him to his home.
We were silent along the way. It was not uncomfortable. It was more like, the both of us were taking that moment to appreciate the fact that had each other by our audience that day.
Although no-one was talking, I could tell that there was a kind of yearning hanging in the air.
I caught Kojo stealing glances at me several times and frankly, I was not bothered.
A few minutes before I would have given anything to get those glances.

"Why are you looking at me like that? You know I can see you right?"

" I love looking at you, D. You are beautiful and I love looking at beautiful things."

In a split of a second I felt my blood suddenly grow hot. I felt my cheeks flash, but thank God for my dark shade because I would not want him to see me weakened like that, just by his words.

"Thank you."

That was not what I meant to say, but we'll, sometimes love slows you down.

""I still have that effect on you, D. Admit it."

"Can you please just walk. We are already here. "

I had to stop h from talking because I had to be composed when I met his mother.
It was not the first time I was going to meet his mother because in our village, children are raised by the whole community, so we had met a few times.
But this was going to be different because her son was coming back from war.

"Mama! I'm back."

I had never seen the look that Kojo had in his eyes as he ran to his mother.
It is a moment that is still very etched in my mind. It was that one moment of mother-son affection that brought tears to my eyes.
It made me yearn for such a relationship with my own children in future.
His mother was beside herself with happiness. Tears were falling uncontrollably and the day was one of my luckiest because I got to see Kojo cry twice within a span of very few minutes.

"Mama, I think I should leave right now and let you have sometime with your son."

I had figured that they needed some time alone to catch up with each other just like I needed to be back home and see my brother.

"No, my daughter. You need to sit with us and at least eat something I prepared for my son."

As much as my stomach was grumbling with hunger and I never wanted to leave Kojo anytime soon, I had to go.
Mama would have my head if she knew that I went and ate at a boy's home, but Kojo's mother was so convincing that a few minutes later I found myself sitted across them stuffing my face with food.

Everytime I raised my hand to my mouth, I caught Kojo looking at me and smiling. It was as if he was approving of every bite I was taking.
The situation was quite uncomfortable because his mother was right there with us.

"You know it would be a great surprise if you rose from there with no child, Dembe, with the way you people are looking at each other. "

How many times were my cheeks going to flash this was in single day?
I was used to my own mother throwing around comments like that, but coming from Kojo's mother, it was uncomfortable.

"I think I should be on my way now. Thank you for the food, Ma."

I was already up when I noticed that Kojo was also moving to wash his hands.
Couldn't the boy just rest?

"There is no need to see me off Kojo. I need to see Kia first before going home. And you need to rest."

Oh. The disappointment that washed over his face when I said that. He really wanted to see me off, but I also really wanted him to rest, so I won.

"Okay, D. I'll see you tomorrow. "

I was happy that he finally listened to me, because the boy can be stubborn at times. As I was leaving I heard his mother say,
"She's a good girl. "
I have never been happier in my life.

On my way to Kia's home, I could not help but smile. Everything was falling into place, apart from the fact that Mulutu was gone, we were back to normal.
Kia had disappeared with Amare and I was wondering if they were together when I got near to their house.
It would not have been a surprise for me because Amare can be reckless at times and Kia, well she is totally smitten.

I met Kia's mother at home and after greetings, she told me Kia was in her room and allowed me to go see her.
It was clear that Amare was not there and what a relief it was.

I walked into Kia huddled in a corner crying her heart out. The first thing that came to my mind was what stupid thing had Amare said to her now, but my thoughts were interrupted when she suddenly rose and forcefully embraced me while screaming, I should have given him a chance!

As it is clear right now, love has really slowed me down and it was no surprise that it took me a few minutes to realize that she was talking about Mulutu.
Justis I had feared, she was blaming herself for his death.

"Calm down, Kia. What are you talking about? "

"Mulutu is dead, D. I just feel like I should have given him a chance to feel loved before he went and got himself killed."

"Who told you he is dead? "

Judging by the way she looked at me, my question was stupid. Of course Amare had told her. The whole village must have been informed by then and I was there asking such a question.

"Everyone knows D. Sometimes you amaze me with your ability to be this slow."

"Okay, forgive me. But you should not be blaming yourself. No-one knew what was going to happen. It was a game with fate Kia."

She seemed to calm down after I said those words and it even surprised me that I could emit such wisdom.
I was truly grown.

"Okay, D. It is going to take some time, D. But I will be fine. "

Deep down I knew that Kia was crying because she felt guilty because it is Amare she had always wanted, but he did not as much as glance her way and now the only person who had shown genuine interest in her was dead.

"Why are you staring into space like that, Dembe? I just told you I will be fine. Besides, Amare has been very helpful."

She was blushing and I know that this was one story I did not want to be left out of.

"Oh, so he she been helpful. I thought he was supposed to be home resting. "

"Why are you talking like I made him do anything strenuous? He only sat with me and comforted me, while you were God-knows where with Kojo. "

And just like that I knew Kia was back. It was only a matter of few minutes before we were talking about Kojo and Amare and laughing our hearts out.
It was a really good feeling to be happy once more and although Mulutu was gone, we made a point to celebrate his life.
He would have wanted that.

******

Thank you for reading. =)

Love,
Daisy. 💋

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

1.2K 264 46
Young lady goes on a journey to self discovery amidst life's ups and downs. Through it all she finds that love could be found in the most unprecedent...
5.1K 429 21
Sometimes ... you find love in the most interesting places. B/E AH/AU
319 12 5
In which our protagonist travels with her beloved and discovers that decisions made in her past could affect her future, forcing her to defend what s...
5.4K 379 17
She trusted him to protect her, but instead he broke her the most.