The Crying Game

By FarFromReality03

Brandon Call was a once powerful teen. But when all crumbles down, he flees to La Push in hopes to reclaim ev... More

Cast
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Nine

1.5K 60 6
By FarFromReality03

Not much had changed here.

Other than the absence of Mr. Lockwood, it was as if it was the time I was here.

The two stairwells side-by-side that led straight up to the second floor; the living area to my left -dining area to my right -the fancy drapes that hung on the  windows -the odd trinkets that sat on the fancy mahogany side tables, and the family photo that had hung above the opening to the lounge -all decorated by Tyler's mother.

I hadn't realized Tyler had left and returned with a glass of wine for me, and a whiskey for him, ushering me to follow him to the den area next to his father's office. I've been there once or twice when he needed to talk to me privately, so I wasn't sure just how personal things were going to get once he started talking.

He placed his glass down on the side table next to the sofa chair he sat in. I seated myself further from him at the end of the sofa-chair. I figured I'd occupy myself by looking around the room, focusing on the books on the shelves along with small stone statues. The curtains opened to the garden out in the back. A small coffee table separated him from me -empty whiskey bottles and drink glasses sat across the table

"How've ya been?" He almost mumbled, taking a sip of his whiskey.

I turned my gaze to him, giving him a half-smile before replying quietly, "Fine. Could be better."

"Better than dead?" He asked almost sarcastically.

I glared. "I guess you could say that."

"I thought you were." He said more serious now as he leaned forward, his hands clasped together in front of him.

"I  was supposed to be." I replied with a shrug "I didn't want anyone to know because it just seemed better this way. I could finally move on with my life."

"From what? You'll always be what you are Brandon." His tone began to change.

"Apparently not." I replied with annoyance, "the moment I died and came back, I came back as a nothing. I lost everything. I had to go. I needed to."

"I could've helped you this time Brandon." He argued.

"No you couldn't have Tyler," I argued back, "not when you were far too into keeping your reputation intact. You'd soon put my life at risk just as Klaus would for vengeance. I would never amount to anything."

"That's bullshit Brandon and you know it." He said angered.

"No, it's not." I replied upset, "so many times I've been put on the back burner; only summoned when needed. I guarantee my absence was unknown until everyone realized that Bonnie was riding solo. I get it now though, Bonnie is the only witch needed here, which is why I left. I just... I ended up in the wrong direction."

"I've always cared about you Brandon, I've said it more than once." He added.

"But you were never always sure Tyler." I stated, "every time it came down to decisions, you couldn't make them. I always knew your choices. I could take care of myself because I was who I was, but you never once asked me if I would be. You'd often run off and expect me to be waiting for you every time. I wasn't having any of that. I grew tired of it  all."

"Because I knew that you never needed me. I always thought that you were too good for me. It was just easier to let you believe I didn't care at times because I had hoped you'd find someone who could  treat you better."

"That's bullshit Tyler." I scowled.

"Is it?" He asked, "I'm a fucking mess Brandon, always have been. I could never understand what you really saw in me to stay. It was easier to push you away because I wasn't worth saving. I just did it the wrong way I guess."

"So why tell me now?" I asked annoyed, "if you cared so much, why put me through hell and try to pick me up every time. It was as if you enjoyed playing me every time. For my whole life I tried to find my place, but every time I figured I found it, you would turn it all upside down."

"Because my world turned upside down when I kept searching for you when Bonnie lifted the wall. It didn't take long to realize you were dead. I dreaded the thought of you never returning. " He sighed in distress. "When the portals were resealed, I didn't have time after that to look for you because of the traveler's disturbance. They took everything and banished me along with the other vampires. My only hope was to find Bonnie, but even she had disappeared  for a while."

"Once we started reuniting, we came across another witch; one with a hunger for power." He continued, "he was strong enough to meddle with portals and trap Bonnie and Damon in a realm where he was, freeing himself first until Bonnie was able to, but you weren't with her."

"I thought I lost you then." It sounded as if he whimpered, "we all did. Then Bonnie left unannounced and hadn't let any of us know what was going on. While we were dealing with Kai -the witch, she came back a couple of weeks later, and by that time we thought she left to rebuild her strengths and find a solution, but that was before I was forced to make a decision, I faced the consequences of becoming a werewolf again. That's when I discovered Bonnie was hiding something from us -you."

"How'd you find out?" I asked.

"When I happen to see 'B' blink across the screen on her cell phone. The number was unrecognizable, but after some research, I had discovered  that it was coming from a small town called Forks Washington." He took another drink of his whiskey, "when I asked Bonnie, she kept coming up with different excuses until I was able to get it out of her. It seems I  had come at the right time too seeing the predicament you were in."

"But why the others?" I asked.

"We all deserved our chance to redeem ourselves." He shrugged, "I'm not the only one who feels like shit for letting you go, you did happen to help us out quite a bit when we needed you, especially with Klaus."

"This Kai guys isn't dead right?" I asked. He didn't respond. "Fuck! I knew it. If Bonnie can't help, what can I do?"

"You always worked better as a team, and you have me this time." He moved to the  seat next to me, "I promise from here on Brandon, I will be there next  to you, I will be there to protect you."

"You sound so sure." I  muttered, "but if you couldn't kill this guy before, then what makes you  think we all can if you say he's this powerful."

"Because he's half-vampire now. He became a hybrid and we figured that he's still up for something big. Which is why Bonnie decided we just might need your help too."

"Why didn't she call me?" I asked.

"Because she said you were dealing with your own problems at the moment, we just didn't know that it was another pack of wolves." He grumbled, "I just wish she would've told me sooner."

"It's the past now." I tried to ignore the facts, mainly Paul. "I'll help to get my mind off of a few  things, but I'm not promising you anything Tyler."

"Fine," he grumbled again, "but I'm keeping my word."

I wasn't sure of what Tyler's intentions were the beginning, and I didn't want to know. But my theories went for him trying to woo me in some way. He said he was devastated when he thought he lost me, and now he's making promises again? He'd have to prove himself.

Rather than waste time, I told Tyler to bring me back so that I and Bonnie could get back to the plan and hopefully come up with a way to deal with the hybrid. I hadn't said much other than listened to Tyler as he began telling me about the changes and importance of things I might need to know.

Jeremy was off to college, and Ric happened to be marrying a woman he had gotten pregnant, this weekend. Everyone figures within this small amount of time, Kai would attack for the reason his vengeance included ending  Ric's fiancé's life and the children she carried. Long story short, Kai was no one to mess with unless we knew what we're doing.

The upside of it all, Kai knew nothing about me.

Bonnie figured that if I kept my existence a secret, we could come up with a sneak attack to finally get rid of him and we could finally be at peace. I just didn't know where to begin. I was still making connections with my powers, and the others were already set to face the man that was causing havoc.

During the entire planning, I couldn't help to remain focused, especially when a part of me was still thinking of Paul. Once again, I had left with thinks unresolved, and I was sure that I  messed that bit up. I knew eventually I'd have to return to make things right, it's just I was sure if I would ever get to it.

Attempting to focus on the plan, I was sure that I was going in blindsided. I didn't want to screw this up, especially when so many lived were at risk. But as quick as everything came, it seemed everything was being left up to me.

Word had broken out that the chapel where the wedding was taking place had been destroyed, and Bonnie happened to be there. I began panicking, sure that the entire plan was completely worthless. I had to think of something since it seems that the hybrid was acting fast. It was as if he was using cheat codes to win the game, I just needed to find my own way to get through it as well.

I just didn't know how brutal the witch slash vampire could be.

The thing was, he knew I was coming -somehow. Rather than calling Damon, he had a new proposition. Me.

I  didn't understand at first, but my roots weren't only of the witch's power, but somehow connected to the genes of shapeshifters. It intrigued Kai. Which is why his plan changed -well sort of.

Somehow he tied Bonnie's soul to Elena's, putting Elena to rest unless Bonnie dies to take her place. If it were my decision to keep it as it was, I  would. But that also meant that the Salvatore's would be targeting me next.

I was caught in the middle for the first time.

While Kai watched the entire thing play out, I was doing my best to flee with  Bonnie, trying my best to keep her alive while Damon searched high and low for me. That's when Tyler called me.

"WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?" He asked furiously.

"I don't have time for this Tyler," I argued, still holding onto Bonnie,  figuring I'd bring her to a safer place than here. Her blood still on my hands, trying to think what I could do, and running wasn't one of them.

"Look, I said I was going to protect you, and I meant it, WHERE ARE YOU!" He shouted through the phone.

"I'll meet you at your house." Then I hung up.

This was my only option. I had to fix things, and if that meant I had to fight Damon and Kai, I would. I usually let them underestimate who I am,  forgetting that I do it the most. Bonnie always believed in me, and I had to prove it.

I found myself cruising towards the Lockwood estate. Bonnie still falling in and out of consciousness, finding myself promising her that everything was going to be okay. Without giving it much thought, I picked up my phone and dialed Caroline.

"Brandon, is Bonnie okay?"

"Yeah, now don't lie to me Caroline, who's with you?" I asked unsurely.

"It's just me, I've been trying to find Damon and Stefan, I think they're after you." She said worriedly.

"I need you to meet Tyler at his place as soon as possible," I spoke quickly. "I need you there to protect Bonnie while I figure things out."

"I'm on my way." The phone went dead by the time I found myself already at the Lockwood driveway, swerving around each corner until I skidded in front of the house.

"Is she okay?" Tyler asked just as Caroline came from behind.

"She's bleeding bad." I explained, "I removed the shard, she just needs to be cleaned and bandaged."

"I'll get right on it." Caroline acted quickly as she lifted Bonnie.

"Listen, Bonnie!" I held her face in my hands, "I need you to keep chanting the healing tools, you need to get better, I might need your help eventually."

She nodded before Caroline carried her inside. I quickly made my way to the driver's seat just as Tyler followed me.

"And what are you going to do?" He asked concerned.

"I'm going after Kai." I explained, "I'm getting rid of him and then I can worry about breaking the stupid spell."

"But he's strong Brandon, you can't face him alone." He pulled me back.

"I have to," I argued. "I owe Bonnie this, and if I can figure this out, maybe acting out before I think just might work."

"So you're going in this blindly?" He shouted again, "that's stupid Brandon, let me help you, I'll go with you."

"NO! Tyler, no," I stopped him, "I need you here to protect Bonnie, please, just trust me."

He stared into my eyes intently. Unexpectedly placing his lips on mine for a heated kiss, "be careful, and I swear if he harms you, I'm hunting him down and killing him myself."

I didn't say anything after that but nodded before getting into the car. What more could I say? He just kissed me -like he used to- and I was supposed to react? I tried my best to focus on the adrenaline, but Tyler threw me off a bit.

I shook my head out of the trance and continued on driving. I figured that Kai would still be at the church, gloating to himself and at least expecting one of us. I just hoped that the  Salvatore's weren't there to interfere.

Once again, fate hadn't been on my side.

There stood Damon and Stefan in the front yard with Kai behind them at the entrance with a smirk on his face. I kept thinking that now was my chance to turn around and run, but the bigger part of me told me that I right now, I could do some serious damage if I took my anger out on the wrong people. The moment I saw Stefan, I had one thing on my mind that could just help me or destroy me.

Ripper.

I slammed on the breaks and skidded through the parking lot. Getting out and slamming the door.

In an instant, Stefan came running towards me, charging as if he was being controlled. Rather than backing down, I did what I could. "I don't have time for this." I hissed as I slammed my hands together and twisted them, chanting a spell that sent the vampire to his knees and tumbling back against the cement blocks behind him.

By then, Damon figured he'd make his move, only to end up in my grasp as I sent the searing  pain of fire through his body, causing him to shriek as I pulled all my strength forward and picked him up before slamming his solid body into the cement, causing it to crack below him.

Stefan had already made his recovery, already at my side as he shoved me back and flying across the lawn. I did what I had to do and protected myself to lessen the damage before they both came after me again. I figured if they wanted to play, then it was a game they were going to get.

I acted as if I had already given in. Holding onto my side as I weakly stood up, pretending to fall to my knees as they both held a smirk.

"It's too bad really." Kai spoke, "you might have been a great use to me. But it seems you enjoy pissing everybody off. Now they can do what I don't need to."

"Where is Bonnie?" Damon asked.

"Right next to Elena!" I smirked before getting up and calling upon every ounce of power I needed to perform my next spell.

I  began chanting as I began burning them once again, intensifying it as I pulled Damon before Stefan as he swung and collided his fist into his brother rather than me. Kai remained in his spot, laughing darkly as I made both vampires' torture each other until they seem to fall weak enough for me to deal with Kai himself.

"This is for the best!" I said as I pulled out the vervain powder and formed a barrier around them to trap them.

"Clever  little witch, aren't you?" Kai mocked as he saw the pair sitting helplessly in the invisible barrier around them. "It seems Bonnie isn't the only one with such great strengths. But don't underestimate me. I do this for the pleasure."

"I do this for the thrill." I smiled mischievously.

With one word, I sent an airwave in his direction that sent him flying through the church doors and back into the building. I quickly followed, noticing all of the dead bodies that lay everywhere. I almost vomited in disgust as the hybrid chuckled with satisfaction.

Straight across from me he stood in the scattered area, bodies at his feet, flames behind him and above. Blood splattered on his face, faded charcoal smeared on his cheek, his eyes dark as his hair. His leather jacket now ripped, showing his white-T and his faded ripped jeans.

In a blink of an eye, he had already made it to my side. His arm wrapped around my waist with his other over my and his fingers now squeezing and digging into my skin. I tried pulling his arms off of me, only for him to hold on even tighter than before. I tried gasping for air, realizing I  had to come up with something to set me free, but I couldn't even speak.

"You see," he chuckled darkly as he dug his nails tighter, drawing blood, "the thing about being a witch, you need to learn how to form a spell without having to say a chant. It's too bad that you will never get the chance to know how."

As I expected him to finish me off, to call on my last memories before my life would flash before my eyes, I could hear a sudden crack before a shriek. At that moment, the arms released me just as I felt both of us collapse forward and Kai's weight being pulled off of me.

I turned to see a dark wolf dragging the hybrid across the floor and out the front door before the wolf tossed Kai across the lawn.

"TYLER!" I shouted.

But I was left unheard just as he continued to attack the hybrid. It seemed if Tyler had the upper hand for a while until Kai was able to pound his fist on to of Tyler's massive head, almost knocking him out. I pulled myself forward just as Kai stood and kicked Tyler across the lawn and into the parking lot. Just as he was ready to finish Tyler off I  shouted.

"KAI!" I gasped out. "IT'S ME YOU WANTED! NOT HIM!"

The hybrid stopped in his tracks and turned to me with a smirk, the dark expression I hated seeing on his face. "But if I kill him first, I can finish you off."

"Not if I can help it!" I replied, chanting again just as I watched him fall forward in pain. "It seems you've underestimated me!" I figured chanting in my thoughts would be strong enough as I approached him. "But you tend to forget that being a witch, we all started somewhere."

I grasped my hands from behind his neck and pulled him up, "now it's time for you to suffer."

"Kill me and you'll never break the spell." He chuckled, "you need me."

"No, unlike you, I have something to prove." With that, I sent electric shocks through his body before lifting him with what strength I could gather, only to fall next to him. I hated myself for falling weak, but it was all getting the best of me.

He now lay a few feet from me with a smile still on his face. "I knew you couldn't finish the job."

"Doesn't mean that someone won't." I mocked him, "unlike you, I don't work alone."

By this time, I had hoped that at least Tyler would come to my aid, but no one was left in sight. I had to think of something to get up, but both of us were far too weak to even move to reach each other. Kai for once was just as helpless as I was. That was until I could feel his hand grasp onto my shoulder.

"They've always been weaker than me." He chuckled again, "any last words."

"Yeah!" I figured I'd at least go with a bang, "Fuck You!"

At that moment, it was as if everything had flashed before me. Just as Kai held me in front of him, was the same moment he was attacked and pulled away by a pack of wolves.

It wasn't Tyler.

It wasPaul.

I watched as  Kai screamed his last breath before the silver wolf pulled him and practically tossing him in the air before three more wolves pounced onto him, pulling each of his limbs in different directions. Finishing him of  as they tossed the remains into the fire pits surrounding us.

I wanted to sigh in relief, but before I could react in any way, I fell forward and saw nothing but blackness.

I had passed out again.

Vote & Comment?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

310K 7.4K 99
"I've never seen you around here before, are you new?" "No, I've lived here my whole life, but my parents don't allow me outside of the house, someth...
120K 2.6K 47
"So let's test your theory." "What theory?" Paul smirked at me as he backed me up against the door. I watched his eyes as he lifted his arms and tra...
340K 6.1K 40
Jessica Lahote is moving back with her twin brother Paul Lahote. After she phases and goes back to school after she can control herself. When she see...
455 1 23
Imogen hadn't planned to return to La Push until the late summer ahead of starting University in Washington. But when Bella revealed her dark secrets...